I'll take any of these 8 players at #6 and be Happy

Sarge4Tide

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I have to tell you C Mart that I don't give a hoot what these experts say about a prospect . Mike Mayock is the supposed best analyst out there, and last year he told the world that the most ready to play QB on day 1 was Jared Goff .  I watch game film and formulate my own opinion, and my opinion is that the kid has the right size, arm strength, quick release ability to read the entire field and doesn't wilt under pressure . He's played in all types of weather conditions and is to my knowledge clean off the field  . 

He's my top target in this draft after Myles Garrett . I'm either trading down in the 1st or the 2nd if the opportunity presents itself . I could probably get Mixon later in the 3rd and I would like a 4th so I can go after Jones in that round and look at that CB Sidney Jones with that last pick in the 3rd . I intend to draft a QB every yr until I find 1 .

On a side note, the most interesting late round QB to me is Joshua Dobbs .

What do you think of Nathan Peterman? He's piqued my interest.  I'm all for acquiring QBs until you get the one.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

What do you think of Nathan Peterman? He's piqued my interest.  I'm all for acquiring QBs until you get the one.

I don't think he has the type of Arm strength I'm looking for or the type of release either. I think he's the kind of QB that would excel in a short range timing offense while the receivers the Jets presently have are down the field types . 

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I don't think he has the type of Arm strength I'm looking for or the type of release either. I think he's the kind of QB that would excel in a short range timing offense while the receivers the Jets presently have are down the field types . 

Yeah. I've heard that's the knock on him. Everything else I've heard was promising.

This is a DEEP draft, and our roster SUCKS. 

Trade back. Get more picks. There's NO EXCUSE for inability to accumulate more picks given the circumstances of our roster depth. In the past, folks have complained about Mac not knowing how to amass comp picks. It concerns me more that he's wasted late picks on assets that couldn't stick with the roster more than 2 years, and he doesn't know how to "create" extra picks.

I'm not saying go full Browns and get 200 picks per draft, but we'd be better served with 7-10 picks, versus 4-6.

16 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I have to tell you C Mart that I don't give a hoot what these experts say about a prospect . Mike Mayock is the supposed best analyst out there, and last year he told the world that the most ready to play QB on day 1 was Jared Goff .  I watch game film and formulate my own opinion, and my opinion is that the kid has the right size, arm strength, quick release ability to read the entire field and doesn't wilt under pressure . He's played in all types of weather conditions and is to my knowledge clean off the field  . 

He's my top target in this draft after Myles Garrett . I'm either trading down in the 1st or the 2nd if the opportunity presents itself . I could probably get Mixon later in the 3rd and I would like a 4th so I can go after Jones in that round and look at that CB Sidney Jones with that last pick in the 3rd . I intend to draft a QB every yr until I find 1 .

I like this scenario too.  Not sure exactly how far Joe Mixon and Sidney Jones draft stock has fallen but taking both of them in the 3rd would be great.  Both are first round talents that have some issues to deal with.  Burying Mixon on the depth chart for a year behind Forte and Powell will hopefully keep the media off his back.  If the Jets are looking at a long term rebuild, they don't need to find immediate starters in the early rounds.  Therefore investing in a guy like Sidney Jones and have him ready for 2018 is not a bad idea.  If the Jets stay at their current draft positions and someone slips out of the 1st round they could be looking at 4 1st round talent type of players. 

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Assuming Myles Garrett goes #1, there are 8 players I'd be very happy with at #6, in order of happiness 

1. Leonard Fournette  - ankle injuries
  2. Marshon Lattimore  - hamstring injuries
  3. Jamal Adams - achilles injury
  4. Malik Hooker - 1 yr wonder?
  5. OJ Howard - too high to take but I'd be OK with the pick
  6. Corey Davis - same feeling as Howard
  7. Rueben Foster - not what I want although solid safe pick.
  8. Dalvin Cook  - character issues?

IF they take a QB, I guess I could live with that. If either Jonathan Allen or Solomon Thomas drops to us, it might be hard to pass up, but that would suck 

I'm really starting to dislike the 6th pick.

Just now, Sarge4Tide said:

A lot of people want to trade down, but trading down is hard to do

I'm starting to want to trade down myself but yeah its hard to do and especially hard to do for the Jets.  They always seem to land the least desirable pick in each draft and never can get a trade down.  Hoping Macc can pull it off this year.

9 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

I like this scenario too.  Not sure exactly how far Joe Mixon and Sidney Jones draft stock has fallen but taking both of them in the 3rd would be great.  Both are first round talents that have some issues to deal with.  Burying Mixon on the depth chart for a year behind Forte and Powell will hopefully keep the media off his back.  If the Jets are looking at a long term rebuild, they don't need to find immediate starters in the early rounds.  Therefore investing in a guy like Sidney Jones and have him ready for 2018 is not a bad idea.  If the Jets stay at their current draft positions and someone slips out of the 1st round they could be looking at 4 1st round talent type of players. 

After Myles Garrett comes off the board, you could arguably take the next 20 picks, put them all on slips in a hat and pick and  pick 1 . This is a deep draft with plenty of future starters, so picking a position of need should be the best way to go, starting with premium positions players .

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

After Myles Garrett comes off the board, you could arguably take the next 20 picks, put them all on slips in a hat and pick and  pick 1 . This is a deep draft with plenty of future starters, so picking a position of need should be the best way to go, starting with premium positions players .

Which is why the Jets should want to trade down, but it will be hard to find value in a trade down. At 6, you need impact players, not any old starters.

Hopefully players like Ryan Ramczyk, Reuben Foster, or even John Ross drop a little the draft due to recent injuries and concerns for them not being ready for camp.  Maybe the Jets can capitalize on not being urgent on finding an immediate impact starter.

Sorry about the Mangold slip up on the Ohio State hot garbage comment I made earlier but I stand by OSU producing substandard NY Jets prospects notwithstanding Mangold.  

Jury's still out on Lee but not an impressive 1st year to say the least.

Understanding that Scouts are human, I look at draft picks when compared to the players picked within 5-10 picks after him.

With the Jets moving on from Marshall and likely Decker (if not this year, next), the key will be how the WRs picked after Lee develop as compared to Lee.  

With respect to a comment made above re Lee and coverage, it appeared to me that Lee was in the hip pocket of the TEs he was covering-they must made the catch anyway.   David Harris would not have been in the same screen.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Understanding that Scouts are human, I look at draft picks when compared to the players picked within 5-10 picks after him.

With the Jets moving on from Marshall and likely Decker (if not this year, next), the key will be how the WRs picked after Lee develop as compared to Lee.  

With respect to a comment made above re Lee and coverage, it appeared to me that Lee was in the hip pocket of the TEs he was covering-they must made the catch anyway.   David Harris would not have been in the same screen.

Why just the WRs?  Why not Burns and Jackson?  Or Lynch for that matter.  The easier comparison would be Lee/Hackenberg vs. Lynch/Jones or Cravens.  Obviously, in hindsight it seems to be a no-brainer, but Lee is a ++ athlete, so should be valuable no matter what. 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why just the WRs?  Why not Burns and Jackson?  Or Lynch for that matter.  The easier comparison would be Lee/Hackenberg vs. Lynch/Jones or Cravens.  Obviously, in hindsight it seems to be a no-brainer, but Lee is a ++ athlete, so should be valuable no matter what. 

i will give you Burns and Jackson, and Lynch.

If Lynch is a quality starter and Hack can't get on the field, I think Macc has a big, big problem.   

The fans and pundits generally expected him to pick Lynch.  People know QBs don't always work out.  I think at 20 people would have given Mac the benefit of the doub regardless of how he ended up.   To pick a QB at 6 and have him bust really hurts.  

He reached for genius in picking Lee and Hack.   As I said above, on Thanksgiving 2017 we will know much better how that turns out, but I am willing to say that the relative grades of those picks should be a good indication to Woody of Mac's talent evaluation ability.

This draft is so much deeper than the Gholston draft its ridiculous! Its hard to find a trade partner to trade back with but getting another 2 & 4 in this draft & getting a 3 for Richardson would be sweet, plus I would trade Calvin Pryor for a 5 if you could get it. I think TJ Watt is gonna be a STEAL if he drops into the 2nd round. We need guys that can edge & cover (He's a Clay Matthews clone) and has the same fiery intensity as his brother. Trade back if you can & Lattimore falls in your lap after he drops a bit over hammy concerns. Draft Watt at 38. Draft best TE that drops with your 2nd second rounder. If we trade Sheldon you have 3 picks in the 3rd round for offense and THIS is where you get the best value! You could go RB-S-QB (Joe Mixon RB-Budda Baker S-Nathan Peterman QB).

See below & NFL comparisons

1- Lattimore-CB (Vontea Davis)

2- TJ Watt-OLB (Clay Matthews)

2- Evan Engram- TE (Jordan Reed)

3- Joe Mixon- RB (Leveon Bell)

3- Budda Baker-S (Bob Sanders)

3- Nathan Peterman- QB (Derek Carr)

4- Garrett Sickels-DE (Take a flyer on the local NJ kid)

5-? 5-? 6-? 7-?

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Just curious, where are you getting access to actual game film?

Just now, flgreen said:

Just curious, where are you getting access to actual game film?

I watch the full games that are available to me on Youtube and concentrate on what interest me . I also Tivo many college games during the year .

No to Lattimore. Guys hammy's are already shot. No thanks. Go offense with the #6. QB RB or WR. I will be happy with either one. The guy I really want is Mixon. Take this guy in the 2nd round if he isn't drafted late in the first. If they can trade the pick and get another 3rd I would jump on it depending on how far they trade back. I would love to get the #12 from the Browns but as has been mentioned trading is hard to do.

4 hours ago, jack48 said:

I would much arather have a QB who makes my receivers better (Brady) than the other way around.  So I do not draft a wideout numero uno when we have no QB

Lets be honest, a QB of Brady's caliber comes around once or twice every generation. We are not lucking into that, you know it. There is no Karma when it comes to the Jets. 

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

This draft is so much deeper than the Gholston draft its ridiculous! Its hard to find a trade partner to trade back with but getting another 2 & 4 in this draft & getting a 3 for Richardson would be sweet, plus I would trade Calvin Pryor for a 5 if you could get it. I think TJ Watt is gonna be a STEAL if he drops into the 2nd round. We need guys that can edge & cover (He's a Clay Matthews clone) and has the same fiery intensity as his brother. Trade back if you can & Lattimore falls in your lap after he drops a bit over hammy concerns. Draft Watt at 38. Draft best TE that drops with your 2nd second rounder. If we trade Sheldon you have 3 picks in the 3rd round for offense and THIS is where you get the best value! You could go RB-S-QB (Joe Mixon RB-Budda Baker S-Nathan Peterman QB).

See below & NFL comparisons

1- Lattimore-CB (Vontea Davis)

2- TJ Watt-OLB (Clay Matthews)

2- Evan Engram- TE (Jordan Reed)

3- Joe Mixon- RB (Leveon Bell)

3- Budda Baker-S (Bob Sanders)

3- Nathan Peterman- QB (Derek Carr)

4- Garrett Sickels-DE (Take a flyer on the local NY kid)

5-? 5-? 6-? 7-?

I'd take a flyer on Joe Mixon. His legal trouble aside, he's a mid 1st round talent. Use the third on him. 

6 hours ago, heymangold said:

if the guy didn't hurt his hammy again at the combine i think i would have been ok with him.  but man, he seems to have some bad hamstrings!

Yes they neeeeed to stay away from him.  There are 500 other players to choose from!

7 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Assuming Myles Garrett goes #1, there are 8 players I'd be very happy with at #6, in order of happiness 

1. Leonard Fournette 
  2. Marshon Lattimore 
  3. Jamal Adams
  4. Malik Hooker
  5. OJ Howard
  6. Corey Davis
  7. Rueben Foster
  8. Dalvin Cook 

IF they take a QB, I guess I could live with that. If either Jonathan Allen or Solomon Thomas drops to us, it might be hard to pass up, but that would suck 

I agree with this for the most part.  I'm definitely not mad with Fournette he'll at the very least give other teams something to gameplan against if his skill transitions to the NFL level.  Lattimore absolutely not.  I could see it now we draft him at 6 and he gets hurt in training camp.  Why have to worry about that?  Not with the 6th pick.  Also I'd remove Corey Davis he has all the skills in the world, but I'm big on the fact that his competition was meh.  Not to blame the kid it's not his fault but again picking as high as we are I feel like that's not someone worth taking a risk on.  Especially if there's a Mike Williams who's done it against top competition and dominated.  And he also ran in the high 4.4's

Archived