Implications for Hackenberg of drafting or not drafting a QB at #6

Sarge4Tide

Hackenberg?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. If the Jets draft a QB with the 6th pick in the NFL Draft, it is an admission that the Hackenberg pick last year was a mistake

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral / No Opinion
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree
  2. 2. If the Jets do NOT draft a QB with the 6th pick in the NFL Draft, it means the team believes Hackenberg has potential to be a good starting QB

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral / No Opinion
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree

It's been widely discussed that all the QBs are not ready to play this year anyway. I think it doesn't really effect the perception of Hack. If they pick a QB at 6 they will hope Hack shows up and they have a tradable asset best case scenario. If they don't pick a QB I think it's indicative of the QB class at hand. 

It would mean there is another QB competing for the starting job. If Hackenberg legitimately wins (if there's even a legitimate competition) they're not going to sit him down because they drafted someone else at #6.

We should be that lucky that, because Hackenberg is playing well (with an even brighter future to come), we unnecessarily drafted a QB at #6. He'll, I'd welcome it if we drafted someone at #6 and some camp fodder UDFA beat out the four of them. That is, of course, if the winner is actually good and not merely the least of the evils.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It would mean there is another QB competing for the starting job. If Hackenberg legitimately wins (if there's even a legitimate competition) they're not going to sit him down because they drafted someone else at #6.

We should be that lucky that, because Hackenberg is playing well (with an even brighter future to come), we unnecessarily drafted a QB at #6. I'd welcome it if some camp fodder UDFA beats out the four of them. That is, of course, if the winner is actually good and not merely the least of the evils.

I still don't understand why we signed Josh McCown

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

Insurance policy in case all of our young QBs are hot garbage. I would have preferred going with 3 young Qbs (Hack/petty/draft pick) but I am ok with Mccown around to help develop the young guys and act as an insurance policy. 

It would mean nothing either way. Hack was a 2nd rounder for crissakes. You guys are making the pick out to be way more than it needs to be. We don't have a QB. So investing 2nd rounders in a QB pipeline isn't a bad idea at all. It's actually the best thing we can be doing long term. Now if we were blowing 1st rounder after 1st rounder chasing it, that would be a more legitimate gripe. But that isn't what is happening here. Multiple teams saw Hack as a 2nd to 3rd round prospect. We took him in the 2nd to secure him. Some fans think he's worthless, those guys will always be pounding the table crying about the pick. Doesn't matter, a lot of fans want to be right more than they want to do the right thing. Our GM is a guy who believes in filling the pipeline. I thought Petty was a wasted pick. So what? Kid started for us and if he shows anything beyond what he showed last year he just might become a tradeable asset for us.  If he doesn't he's just another guy who washed out of the NFL.

If we take a QB in the 2nd this year, I'd be fine with that too.  Just don't reach in the 1st when there are potential blue chip talent on the board.  If you reach in the 2nd or 3rd and take a QB over a solid player, oh well, that's the price you gotta pay. You might cry that that player could be the next Jarvis Landry. And you might be right. But that approach will never let you land a legitimate QB prospect either.  So you gotta pick your poison.

10 minutes ago, thadude said:

It's not complicated. He's a true professional who won't cause a rift in the lockerroom and he's coming in here knowing he's not in the teams plans. He can help set the tone in practices for our young QBs and help them with the nuance of the position.  Yeah we have Bates, but the QB coach isn't with the QBs all day long either.  And with the new CBA, the time allowed between coaches and players is now even less.  If McCown takes the mentor role seriously, he's a huge asset to the development of the young guns.  If he's just in it for the paycheck, he's a total waste.

22 minutes ago, thadude said:

Because there was no way in hell Macc was going to go into the season with Bryce Petty being the most experienced QB.  It was never a consideration.  

Not sure why anyone though that fantasy was actually going to happen.

1 hour ago, IntoTheGreen said:

It's been widely discussed that all the QBs are not ready to play this year anyway. I think it doesn't really effect the perception of Hack. If they pick a QB at 6 they will hope Hack shows up and they have a tradable asset best case scenario. If they don't pick a QB I think it's indicative of the QB class at hand. 

I disagreed with both.

Hack was a relatively unique story that Macc thought was value with the Jets low second round pick.  They did not believe he would be there in the third round.  In fact, rumor has it (may be self-serving) that if not Hack they would have picked Jordan Jenkins in the 2nd, so they could conceivably have gotten the same two players anyway.  The hidden cost to not having a QB is having to reach for one, basically constantly.  By drafting Hack, the Jets passed up Deion Jones and Cody Whitehair-ouch.

I also think that the Jets during last year's draft did not fathom that they would be picking 6th for the second time in three years.   But the Fitz dice came up snake eyes.  If they now have an opportunity to draft a QB that they think is better than Hack (and the best player available) they should do it, develop them both, and have depth and a tradeable asset (should also add a developmental QB to the PS to be a back up in the future, like a Torgersen from Penn).

In my view, the following players have star potential and fit the Jets:  Hooker, Adams, Fournette, Howard.  Garrett will not be there so not worth considering.  If any of those players are there, that is where the Jets should go.  if they are not there and Trubisky is, they need to consider MT very seriously.

46 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Insurance policy in case all of our young QBs are hot garbage. I would have preferred going with 3 young Qbs (Hack/petty/draft pick) but I am ok with Mccown around to help develop the young guys and act as an insurance policy. 

This is more of a business way to look at it.  Three young QBs would be an honest presentation of what the Jets have.  McCown insurance could end up winning the Jets games and costing them Darnold next year, if Hack and Co really stunk.  But then again, maybe "insurance" is insurance against being putrid/unprofessional as opposed to just losign honorably, as McCown did not exactly cost the Browns draft position.

It means nothing. But I will be curious to see if they can somehow end up with another 1st next year. If they do that and not take a QB, I think that shows more of a plan. 

Or they end up sitting at 6 and taking a corner, then everything is meaningless. 

I think the Jets selection at 6 will depend on the first 5 picks, trade offers and overall value

Hack was a project pick, Jets should continue to draft QB's until they find the franchise and if they believe in a QB at 6 then it means Hack will have more competition, the real question is what does it mean for Petty? don't like the idea of 4 QB's again

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Remember when you said you were done with polls?  

p.s. i'm glad youre not

I said I was done with draft related polls (e.g, grading potential picks or ranking one player over the other).  I sort of exhausted all the interesting questions in that area. 

3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

What does it say about Hackenberg if the Jets draft or do not draft) a QB at #6?

i'm going meh either way.  at least on game day hack has shown zilch so if they do draft a qb at 6 they will probably let both guys fight it out.  and if they don't draft the qb it's the same thing.  there should be a qb competition and one or the other will be the starter.  and i'm not so sure mcnown even starts a game.  it's too early to tell what the young guys will be able to do on the field.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I disagreed with both.

Hack was a relatively unique story that Macc thought was value with the Jets low second round pick.  They did not believe he would be there in the third round.  In fact, rumor has it (may be self-serving) that if not Hack they would have picked Jordan Jenkins in the 2nd, so they could conceivably have gotten the same two players anyway.  The hidden cost to not having a QB is having to reach for one, basically constantly.  By drafting Hack, the Jets passed up Deion Jones and Cody Whitehair-ouch.

I also think that the Jets during last year's draft did not fathom that they would be picking 6th for the second time in three years.   But the Fitz dice came up snake eyes.  If they now have an opportunity to draft a QB that they think is better than Hack (and the best player available) they should do it, develop them both, and have depth and a tradeable asset (should also add a developmental QB to the PS to be a back up in the future, like a Torgersen from Penn).

In my view, the following players have star potential and fit the Jets:  Hooker, Adams, Fournette, Howard.  Garrett will not be there so not worth considering.  If any of those players are there, that is where the Jets should go.  if they are not there and Trubisky is, they need to consider MT very seriously.

This is more of a business way to look at it.  Three young QBs would be an honest presentation of what the Jets have.  McCown insurance could end up winning the Jets games and costing them Darnold next year, if Hack and Co really stunk.  But then again, maybe "insurance" is insurance against being putrid/unprofessional as opposed to just losign honorably, as McCown did not exactly cost the Browns draft position.

Exactly. I don't think mccown is good enough to win games on his own. I'm all for tanking but you also need a borderline competent QB to help develop the young wrs and properly evaluate the line. Either way, if he gets the job he'll likely get hurt before he wins too many games.

4 hours ago, section314 said:

This was one of your easiest tests ever. Didn't even have to study.:D

Didn't you say that for all the tests you failed, including the one you took with a cup in your hand?

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Geno > McCown

Only thing McCown would ensure is 1-15 and Darnold 

4 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

It's not complicated. He's a true professional who won't cause a rift in the lockerroom and he's coming in here knowing he's not in the teams plans. He can help set the tone in practices for our young QBs and help them with the nuance of the position.  Yeah we have Bates, but the QB coach isn't with the QBs all day long either.  And with the new CBA, the time allowed between coaches and players is now even less.  If McCown takes the mentor role seriously, he's a huge asset to the development of the young guns.  If he's just in it for the paycheck, he's a total waste.

$6 million plus incentives for a "professional"?

McCown is horrible.  Worse than Geno and Fitz.  We would have been way better off drafting a qb in the second round or later

4 hours ago, Pac said:

Because there was no way in hell Macc was going to go into the season with Bryce Petty being the most experienced QB.  It was never a consideration.  

Not sure why anyone though that fantasy was actually going to happen.

So he signed the way crappier version of Cutler?

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

If the Jets draft a QB then hackenberg was a mistake.

If the Jets don't draft a QB then hackenberg was a mistake.

I don't know which horrible second round pick set us further back Devin Smith or Hack

42 minutes ago, thadude said:

$6 million plus incentives for a "professional"?

McCown is horrible.  Worse than Geno and Fitz.  We would have been way better off drafting a qb in the second round or later

Who cares/ It's just the business side of it. What does it matter how much we spent? The guy is on a 1 year deal with no guaranteed dollars pushed towards the following season like that idiot Fitz signing. It's not like there were some great FAs we missed out on as a result. We went for the FA targets, got what we needed to fill holes and then got McCown.

I voted disagree on both.  I don't think picking a QB at 6 or not picking one at 6 is an admission either way.  If they pick one at 6 that just means they see someone with MORE potential than Petty and Hack.  If they don't pick a QB at 6 that doesn't mean their opinion on Hack is any different, he will be judged appropriately in TC/PS.

Second round picks are like throwaway picks that can be wantonly tossed in the fire. Fourth round picks are practically encumbrances. Neither 2nd nor 4th round picks should even count in the extremely rare instances where they lol "makes a roster." AS. IF. I sometimes buy flat screen TVs to stack in front of the flat screens I bought last week. 

Archived