"Mike Maccagnan reports the phone is ringing off the hook for the #6 pick"

Pointdexter

It sure seemed like Macc had the opportunity he talked about to trade down and aquire more picks. Probably a wealth of picks.

Adams too good to pass up?

Isn't this what we said about Williams 2 yrs ago, but yet our overall team keeps getting depreciating results?

Can a safety really move the needle if our offense isn't getting 1st downs, and thus keeping these guys on the field all game?

Anyways, I love Adams as a player. I just question if we're a better team. Or will any of it matter until we drastically improve our offense and we can keep our D from being out on the field all game, demoralized.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Adams pick as well but if Macc had the chance to trade down and acquire more picks, then thats's the route he should have taken.  Buffalo received a #1 pick in next seasons draft along with a 3rd round pick in this years draft.  It would have been nice to fill multiple needs with extra picks as well as gaining a #1 in next years draft. I'm sure Macc had a similar type deal offered to him if not better for pick #6.  I hope he hit a home run with Adams, but it sure would have been nice to set the team up with extra picks.

any article or proof that the phones were ringing off the hook? we didn't put our pick in instantly so i would assume they were looking for a possible trade down. Doesn't matter to me I think we got a good value pick at a position of need and that smile on bowles face got me excited as it is the most emotion i have ever seen him show.

9 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

any article or proof that the phones were ringing off the hook? we didn't put our pick in instantly so i would assume they were looking for a possible trade down. Doesn't matter to me I think we got a good value pick at a position of need and that smile on bowles face got me excited as it is the most emotion i have ever seen him show.

Sal Pal reported this Live as the Jets were on the clock. He stated this information came directly from Macc himself. Then Sal made the comment the Jets are "in the cat-bird's seat" with regard to a trade. 

Classic Macc probably demanded too much.

On 4/28/2017 at 7:04 AM, Pointdexter said:

Sal Pal reported this Live as the Jets were on the clock. He stated this information came directly from Macc himself. Then Sal made the comment the Jets are "in the cat-bird's seat" with regard to a trade. 

Classic Macc probably demanded too much.

Negotiated himself right out of yet another deal.

All through the draft people were convincing themselves that there must not have been any good offers. Why do people keep assuming, because Maccagnan has continued his streak of displaying a total inability to pull off any trade involving anything in the early rounds, that the opportunity wasn't there?

I mean, is it hero worship? 

57 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

It sure seemed like Macc had the opportunity he talked about to trade down and aquire more picks. Probably a wealth of picks.

Isn't this what we said about Williams 2 yrs ago, but yet our overall team keeps getting depreciating results?

Can a safety really move the needle if our offense isn't getting 1st downs, and thus keeping these guys on the field all game?

Anyways, I love Adams as a player. I just question if we're a better team. Or will any of it matter until we drastically improve our offense and we can keep our D from being out on the field all game, demoralized.

Where does that quote come from?  Or did you make it up to get people to open this thread?  He said just the opposite in his press conference, by the way. 

Really Macc couldn't have gone wrong either way. You got what seems to be a sure all pro safety in your lap or you can stock pile for next year. Personally this is a rebuild and he made the right choice and took Adams. You never know what pick that team will be picking next year. You also don't know about the draft class next year. Either decision is a gamble. He went with his gut and is paid to make these kind of tough decisions. I would have liked a trade down but we're not him and not paid his salary to do this. 

49ers, Bills and Browns all did very well, Chicago shook up this draft with that crazy trade, seemed like Jets were in no mans land and picked the bast player on the board, Adams does seem like the real deal but a first next year would have been very nice

Browns walked with 3 first round picks and have two first round picks next year - moneyball

11 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Where does that quote come from?  Or did you make it up to get people to open this thread?  He said just the opposite in his press conference, by the way. 

Lol, awesome contribution. As stated above, Sal Pal reported this Live on ESPN as the Jets were on the clock. Also stated the info came directly from Macc. Not sure about the presser.

Lol, awesome contribution. As stated above, Sal Pal reported this Live on ESPN as the Jets were on the clock. Also stated the info came directly from Macc. Not sure about the presser.

Well, if Mac said "the phones ringing off the hook" when they were on the clock and then said "actually the phone wasn't really ringing" during the presser maybe, just MAYBE it was smokescreen to get one of the QB needy teams to call him.

I don't understand people making assumptions about things we'll never truly have the details on.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

In this case Adams was a luxury pick the Jets simply couldn't afford to take.  It seems at worst Mac could have gotten a 3rd this year a 1 next year.

When you've entirely dismantled the team you give up the right to take a safety in the first round, especially if you can trade down.

People don't want to hear this, but when you've messed up the team so badly as the Jets have - there are multiple positions that should be entirely off your board in the first round...and trading down should be your priority.

It's now clear to me Mac is not the guy to rebuild this roster.

I think there are several ways to look at this;

• Myles Garrett rubbed me the wrong ways at time.  Adams may have been the best player in this draft.  The Jets own him for 5 years.  He will also add some class, character and leadership that the Jets are lacking.
  • The Jets roster is horrific.  While focusing on players who can have a high impact, they need to add players who are better than what we have, and who can potentially be All Pros.  Of the three picks this evening, 2 of them could be defense.  That is ok if they are good players.  The Jets do spend FA money on offense.  Enunwa will get extended before the season, hopefully.     There are alot of holes.  The Jets could use 6 picks tonight, not 3.
  • But I have to agree with those who don't see Macc as a team builder.  I am feeling him time ending here.  Any of us could have picked Williams or Adams when they fell.  They fell because other teams were reaching for offensive player to proactively build their offense.  The team building call here was not to reach for a slow WR, but to try harder to trade down.  This team needs more picks to get more offensive and defensive players.
  • In the second round the Jets could use a C, WR, T, TE, RB, CB, ILB,, OLB, and of course, QB.  There is only one pick.  Macc will take the player he has graded highest, hopefully in one of those position groups.  It would be super duper if they could trade SR, CP or even ED.  If they Jets got a 4th or 5th round for Pryor, they could use it on a FS like John Johnson.
  • Macc and Bowles better hope Woody is giving the at least 2 more years, because this draft, even if executed perfectly will not fix the team.  In two years Macc has traded FIVE (5) draft picks who are not on the team.  There are 4 off the top of my head players drafted basically doing zippo (D Smith, Hack, Jarvis Harrison and Petty).   He spent $50mm on FA whose impact was very short and limited.  He has failed to trade down to accumulate more picks/players, and has failed to execute trades in a market to trade players for picks.   Let's see what he does tonight, in both picks and hopefully trades of players. 

7 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well, if Mac said "the phones ringing off the hook" when they were on the clock and then said "actually the phone wasn't really ringing" during the presser maybe, just MAYBE it was smokescreen to get one of the QB needy teams to call him.

I don't understand people making assumptions about things we'll never truly have the details on.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It could also be a CYA excuse after the fact so he wouldn't get blamed for (yet again) failing to complete a trade.

On the possibility that it is true, then a good argument could be made that teams just don't call the Jets with offers due to Maccagnan's past history of outrageous/ludicrous demands and unwaivering lines in the sand that clearly no one would offer. That they'd rather deal with other teams' GMs than try to get a square deal out of our GM.

One cannot deal with such an individual. Best to stay away from him and deal with someone else. I believe that is a good amount of what's been going on.

Adams is a great player and was the BPA for them, but I agree with most here.  A guy like Howard later in first round with 2-3 extra picks provides more value to the Jets right now than Adams. Even if Adams is great, they have too many holes in the roster, so how much impact can he really have in the next couple of years? Kind of like having the best CB in the NFL for years and still not winning (outside of 2009/10).  Just not a position that can change a game.  All we can do is hope an impact player on offense is there at #39 tonight.  Personally im hoping for Cook.....as an FSU fan, I have seen every game he played there, and I believe the guy will be a game changer. The media put out some of the off the field stuff that hurt his stock, but that was all early in college. The light seemed to have come on for him and he was model teammate/ player off the field his last 2 seasons.  

I believe the jets were indeed being offered nice trades, but dumb ass mac either rejected them or wanted too much. 

How is it that teams after us got silly deals to move down? 

Buffalo made out. 

Quite frankly, he should have been making calls to teams. Certainly we could have got more picks fir the 6. And thats what we need.... MORE pics on this roster

Im officially done with mac. He might be worse as a gm than bowles is a coach. 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It could also be a CYA excuse after the fact so he wouldn't get blamed for (yet again) failing to complete a trade.

On the possibility that it is true, then a good argument could be made that teams just don't call the Jets with offers due to Maccagnan's past history of outrageous/ludicrous demands and unwaivering lines in the sand that clearly no one would offer. They'd rather deal with other teams' GMs than try to get a square deal out of our GM.

One cannot deal with such an individual. Best to stay away from him and deal with someone else. I believe that is a good amount of what's been going on.

Aren't you the one who usually bashes posters for implying things like Woody or Bowles was behind a Maccagnan move, when Maccagnan says it was his move? Seems like there is a whole lot of implying going on here to fit your agenda. You very well may be right, but you have called out many a poster for doing the same thing as your doing here.

I don't particularly like the pick, or Maccagnan, but you go so far to the opposite extreme its hard not to try to bring some balance.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

On the possibility that it is true, then a good argument could be made that teams just don't call the Jets with offers due to Maccagnan's past history of outrageous/ludicrous demands and unwaivering lines in the sand that clearly no one would offer. They'd rather deal with other teams' GMs than try to get a square deal out of our GM.

or it could be the offers sucked or non existent for the Jets but that would not fit your argument

so you should just keep to he completely F it up.

btw - trubisky off the board nothing he could do about it and why would they trade for jets at 6 when they could get what they want lower in draft and give up less.

I also find it funny how Gruden had an up close look at all the QBs in draft.  Spent time with them, produced his show, and even quasi coached them on his show.  Basically and insider look that few received and him being a superbowl coach and does this every year for each draft class.  When asked at end of 1st round who he thought was best pick in draft so far he did not hesitate and say Adams.

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

In this case Adams was a luxury pick the Jets simply couldn't afford to take.  It seems at worst Mac could have gotten a 3rd this year a 1 next year.

When you've entirely dismantled the team you give up the right to take a safety in the first round, especially if you can trade down.

People don't want to hear this, but when you've messed up the team so badly as the Jets have - there are multiple positions that should be entirely off your board in the first round...and trading down should be your priority.

It's now clear to me Mac is not the guy to rebuild this roster.

Buffalo went from 10 to 27 and got a 3rd and a 1 next year from a team that may pick lower than 27 next year. If that was a call Macc got for pick # 6, kuddos to him for saying no. 

2 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

1 hour ago, bd71 said:

I like the Adams pick as well but if Macc had the chance to trade down and acquire more picks, then thats's the route he should have taken.  Buffalo received a #1 pick in next seasons draft along with a 3rd round pick in this years draft.  It would have been nice to fill multiple needs with extra picks as well as gaining a #1 in next years draft. I'm sure Macc had a similar type deal offered to him if not better for pick #6.  I hope he hit a home run with Adams, but it sure would have been nice to set the team up with extra picks.

If we can draft 3-4  starters and 2 decent players, who cares where they play.  We need "Beef" in all areas.

I agree with the sentiment of both of you but I watched a special on drafting and SB dynasty teams had drafts 2-3 years before their run with 3-4 starters making the team.  Think about 2 drafts in a row with 6-7 starters, 2 specialty players. THAT would change the JETS. Sort of like the 2006-2007 drafts.

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

or it could be the offers sucked or non existent for the Jets but that would not fit your argument

btw - trubisky off the board nothing he could do about it and why would they trade for jets at 6 when they could get what they want lower in draft and give up less.

I also find it funny how Gruden had an up close look at all the QBs in draft.  Spent time with them, produced his show, and even quasi coached them on his show.  Basically and insider look that few received and him being a superbowl coach and does this every year for each draft class.  When asked at end of 1st round who he thought was best pick in draft so far he did not hesitate and say Adams.

Trubisky being gone changed the whole thing. The 49rs played the Bears like a fiddle. It's obvious that they wanted Thomas all along. They could get him at 3, definitely couldn't if they had traded with Browns to go to 12. They got two picks to move one spot. If Jets fans are mad at Macc, I can only wonder what the Bears boards are like this morning. 

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

I listened to the press conference Macc and Bowles had after the draft and Macc was asked this very question. His reply indicated that the phone was not ringing off the hook. 

I don't know where this new story is coming from. 

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

Buffalo went from 10 to 27 and got a 3rd and a 1 next year from a team that may pick lower than 27 next year. If that was a call Macc got for pick # 6, kuddos to him for saying no. 

This is an important point.  If we got the same offer at 6, that's a tough deal to take.  With Adams, we not only get a potential star player, but a high-character guy with leadership qualities, which this team DESPERATELY needs more of.  At 27, you aren't necessarily getting either of those.  Yeah, it turns out we could have gotten a good CB but that was no sure thing.  I think Adams checked every box for what the Jets need right now and there's only so far they should have been willing to drop.

Now had they been able to get to 12 or so, and get back a 2nd rounder plus more, and end up with Howard, that would have been really nice from my point of view.  But who knows if those deals were on the table.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Trubisky being gone changed the whole thing. The 49rs played the Bears like a fiddle. It's obvious that they wanted Thomas all along. They could get him at 3, definitely couldn't if they had traded with Browns to go to 12. They got two picks to move one spot. If Jets fans are mad at Macc, I can only wonder what the Bears boards are like this morning. 

I dont get the Bears at all.  Not so much for picking Trubisky but all they gave up.  I guess they will rely on FA to help this QB out.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I listened to the press conference Macc and Bowles had after the draft and Macc was asked this very question. His reply indicated that the phone was not ringing off the hook. 

Fake news.  There are always some who want it and need it to be true to fit their narrative and make it up and others who will believe any source no matter how dubious for the same reason.  Instead of saying "I heard a rumor" they just report it as fact.

Welcome to 2017.

Just now, nycdan said:

This is an important point.  If we got the same offer at 6, that's a tough deal to take.  With Adams, we not only get a potential star player, but a high-character guy with leadership qualities, which this team DESPERATELY needs more of.  At 27, you aren't necessarily getting either of those.  Yeah, it turns out we could have gotten a good CB but that was no sure thing.  I think Adams checked every box for what the Jets need right now and there's only so far they should have been willing to drop.

Now had they been able to get to 12 or so, and get back a 2nd rounder plus more, and end up with Howard, that would have been really nice from my point of view.  But who knows if those deals were on the table.

If Trubisky was there, it would have opened this up.

11 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Aren't you the one who usually bashes posters for implying things like Woody or Bowles was behind a Maccagnan move, when Maccagnan says it was his move? Seems like there is a whole lot of implying going on here to fit your agenda. You very well may be right, but you have called out many a poster for doing the same thing as your doing here.

I don't particularly like the pick, or Maccagnan, but you go so far to the opposite extreme its hard not to try to bring some balance.

I fail to see how you've made this connection, other than a desire to make another feeble/failled attempt at sticking something to me.

Blaming Woody for every bad move Maccagnan made was totally baseless. Even Maccagnan himself has said Woody lets them do their own thing.

Blaming Maccagnan for his own past actions (over-demanding his way out of potential deals), and presuming that might lead others to behave in a way consistent with human nature, is not totally baseless.

Another swing and a miss for you, lol.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

the quote was from before the draft started - obviously him trying to create more options which was right thing to do.

15 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Teams that want to trade down did so, and got good compensation. The Jets don't trade down and, to those who hero worship a failure of a GM, it must mean there were no offers. What has he ever done to make you believe he is capable of making any trade prior to round 5, where his risk of getting second-guessed is so low he doesn't worry about it? I said before the draft I wouldn't even kill him for getting less than chart value because it's in the team's interest to acquire more assets.

Adams is a freaking safety. Even if he's top-5 someday, in the end he's still just a freaking safety. We have huge long-term needs at the bulk of the most expensive, most difficult positions to fill adequately: (in no particular order) QB, WR, OPR, CB, LT. If none are there that present value, then you trade down since the team has so many needs that won't be filled by putting all his eggs in one basket with a safety. A child would know this. This pea-brain decides the ways to fill those most-expensive, hardest-to-draft positions, is to find them in FA or use low-percentage picks to fill them. He has it 180-degrees backwards.

Gruden's assessment was based upon his own board and who represented the best value irrespective of the team that drafted him. If the Jets were a team with a kick-ass offense, and far fewer key holes to fill, then the selection of Adams becomes a much better pick. A team without so many necessary building blocks doesn't use such a high pick on a freaking safety. 

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I fail to see how you've made this connection, other than a desire to make another feeble/failled attempt at sticking something to me.

Blaming Woody for every bad move Maccagnan made was totally baseless. Even Maccagnan himself has said Woody lets them do their own thing.

Blaming Maccagnan for his own past actions (over-demanding his way out of potential deals), and presuming that might lead others to behave in a way consistent with human nature, is not totally baseless.

Another swing and a miss for you, lol.

I'm not trying to stick anything to you, nor swing for anything. If you fail to see the hypocrisy, that's on you, not me.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Teams that want to trade down did so, and got good compensation. The Jets don't trade down and, to those who hero worship a failure of a GM, it must mean there were no offers. What has he ever done to make you believe he is capable of making any trade prior to round 5, where his risk of getting second-guessed is so low he doesn't worry about it? I said before the draft I wouldn't even kill him for getting less than chart value because it's in the team's interest to acquire more assets.

Adams is a freaking safety. Even if he's top-5 someday, in the end he's still just a freaking safety. We have huge long-term needs at the bulk of the most expensive, most difficult positions to fill adequately: (in no particular order) QB, WR, OPR, CB, LT. If none are there that present value, then you trade down since the team has so many needs that won't be filled by putting all his eggs in one basket with a safety. A child would know this. This pea-brain decides the ways to fill those most-expensive, hardest-to-draft positions, is to find them in FA or use low-percentage picks to fill them. He has it 180-degrees backwards.

Gruden's assessment was based upon his own board and who represented the best value irrespective of the team that drafted him. If the Jets were a team with a kick-ass offense, and far fewer key holes to fill, then the selection of Adams becomes a much better pick. A team without so many necessary building blocks doesn't use such a high pick on a freaking safety. 

so now your putting words into Gruden mouth too

give me a break

I am not hero worship anyone - i think what is happening here is just the opposite from you...you have probably done this with every GM and head coach since beginning of time "sperm Edwards" tells it all

21 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I dont get the Bears at all.  Not so much for picking Trubisky but all they gave up.  I guess they will rely on FA to help this QB out.

Talk about not knowing your market. They would have gotten their guy at 3, because the 49rs wanted Thomas and couldn't trade with Cleveland for a much better deal because he would not be there at 12. Lynch, for his first night, seems to have done very well.

Archived