Report: Jets Decline Fifth-Year Option on Calvin Pryor

JetNation

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Just Drafted  a 1st and 2nd round Picks Safeties, with Cook still on the board, it tell you all you need to know about the Louisville Slouch!

I prefer Louisville Slacker.  Used that a couple of years ago and it really didn't catch on the way I hoped it would...meh.

4 hours ago, PepPep said:

You have nothing good to say about the Jets EVER. 

Surprise, surprise, you tend to stay away from talking about L.Williams. 

You will incur the ire of some if you continue this path .

I think it was the KC game last year that they kept matching up Pryor 1 on 1 vs. Kelce.

Why they decided to isolate him in coverage like that was beyond me. Why they kept doing it over and over when it was clearly a terrible idea was also beyond me.

20 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I think it was the KC game last year that they kept matching up Pryor 1 on 1 vs. Kelce.

Why they decided to isolate him in coverage like that was beyond me. Why they kept doing it over and over when it was clearly a terrible idea was also beyond me.

Because Bowles is a hack coach who cannot make any in game adjustments

Just now, thadude said:

Because Bowles is a hack coach who cannot make any in game adjustments

Not only that, he seemed to set out to play deliberately to the player's weakness. Can't fathom why.

Just now, thadude said:

And one of them was facing our current starting Qb Josh McCown 

Mccown should be lauded for the rest of his life as his helicopter was far better than elways (By far the most overrate play in NFL history)

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Not only that, he seemed to set out to play deliberately to the player's weakness. Can't fathom why.

Crazy thing is Bowles's stupidity was on display in 2015 as well and that's supposedly the "impressive" season that earned him a third year

Watkins is dominating Revis?  Let's leave Revis on an island with him 1 on 1.  Hey Steven Ridley wanna carry the ball 20x?

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Mccown should be lauded for the rest of his life as his helicopter was far better than elways (By far the most overrate play in NFL history)

McCown probably wouldn't even be in the NFL right now if it wasn't for Macc

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Wrong.  Pryor is not useful in any situation.  Whenever he is on the field, QB eyes get wide.   They cannot wait to audible to a play to take advantage of either his bad angles on something like a stretch running play..  or of course, any formation that will isolate him in coverage.

He is AWFUL.  Does not belong in the NFL.  What does it take for some of you to get this through your heads?

Better than 50/50 he doesn't even make the roster as some camp body or UDFA beats him out in training camp.

well said... he lived up to his pre draft analysis... Only Rex liked him

12 minutes ago, Drums said:

I was rooting for Pryor as a rookie and he looked good in Bowles' first year here,  but the day he got run over on the goal line by a RB was the day I gave up.

Kiper picked Pryor to be DROY and be an immediate impact for the Jets. 

Kiper, the ESPN NFL draft analyst, said he rates Calvin Pryor (Louisville) as the best safety in the draft by a slim margin over Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (Alabama).

The Lions could be interested in drafting a safety if they keep their 10th overall pick. 

“Clinton-Dix has range, he can cover, he’s a pretty good tackler ...,’’ Kiper said.“You look at Pryor, Pryor is just lights out, Pryor competes, has coverage ability ... His 40 time doesn’t reflect how good he is.’’

:lol::lol::lol:

and then when he BACKTRACKS to cover his @$$ on being SOOO wrong:

Immediately after the draft, he gave the class a B. In his second round of grading, he downgraded the Jets to a C-plus. 

Here's how he explained himself:

Let me dispel that quickly, because I hear "struggled" when this player's rookie year is described, pretty much all the time. The truth: Calvin Pryor was just fine as a rookie. He was better than a league-average safety, and in a league where safeties and corners look bad all the time as they adjust to the speed and technical ability of receivers, tight ends and backs running at them -- remember Dee Milliner's rookie year, Jets fans? -- Pryor wasn't remotely bad. He just wasn't a star, had his ups and downs in coverage, and assuming he improves, he can be a really good player. He wasn't a bad pick. Jace Amaro caught 38 passes (tied for second on the team) and if he can ever find chemistry with whomever is at QB, can be a good one. Dexter McDougle got hurt, so that's just bad luck:blink::lol:

3 minutes ago, Drums said:

I was rooting for Pryor as a rookie and he looked good in Bowles' first year here,  but the day he got run over on the goal line by a RB was the day I gave up.

Again, he didn't look good.  You,along with virtually everyone else, just didn't notice how bad he was. 

I keep hearing about how "good" he was early in 2015.  Too bad most didn't see the horribly blown coverages he was at fault for because the opposing QBs missed the throw.

Week 1 vs. Browns: Pryor let Barnidge run right by him in the seam for a 60 or 70 yard TD pass...  but McCown (our new QB) overthrew him by 3 steps.

Week 3 vs. Eagles (The Darren Sproles game): Pryor certainly appeared responsible for a wheel route run by Ryan Mathews down the sideline as he was the only DB tracking him.  He took a poor angle and Mathews ran right by him down the sideline... only reason that wasn't a long TD too was because Bradford tried to hit him but overthrew it out of bounds.

I wish someone could pull up the clips of these plays to put an end to this Pryor played well BS. If those two plays connect, the narrative is much different.

Jets Chat: Can Calvin Pryor be the Jets' Deone Bucannon?

The New York Jets host the Baltimore Ravens in NFL Week 7

The Jets used their first-round NFL Draft pick on LSU safety Jamal Adams. They then took another safety -- surprisingly -- in the second in Florida's Marcus Maye. The Jets also have Calvin Pryor under contract for (at least) one more season. 

So... what now?

If there's anyone qualified to find a way to make all three work seamlessly together, it's Jets coach Todd Bowles. He's the mastermind behind the hybrid linebacker/safety position played by the Cardinals' Deone Bucannon. In Arizona, they call it the "money linebacker."

Bucannon plays near the linebackers, but does the job routinely asked of safeties or defensive backs. He'll cover backs and tight ends on passing plays, then use his agility to evade blockers to make plays on running ones. He's a dynamic weapon on defense. 

Source: Jets won't pick up Pryor's 5th year

Since the Cardinals drafted him in 2014, Bucannon has 286 tackles, five sacks, four forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and one interception in 45 games. He had his best season in 2015 when he recorded 112 tackles, three sacks, two forced fumbles and a pick. 

Pryor has some similar athletic traits to Bucannon. Could he potentially be the Jets' money backer next year if they don't trade him?

That was one of the many topics discussed on this week's Jets Chat. Check the video out below. 

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Athletic, aggressive, with poor instincts for the position and a questionable attitude. Nevertheless, was highly regarded by the draft community and the Jets took the bait. But enough about Darron Lee.

If I didn't know any better, I'd gather you're not very fond of our smurf mascot.

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Again, he didn't look good.  You,along with virtually everyone else, just didn't notice how bad he was. 

I keep hearing about how "good" he was early in 2015.  Too bad most didn't see the horribly blown coverages he was at fault for because the opposing QBs missed the throw.

Week 1 vs. Browns: Pryor let Barnidge run right by him in the seam for a 60 or 70 yard TD pass...  but McCown (our new QB) overthrew him by 3 steps.

Week 3 vs. Eagles (The Darren Sproles game): Pryor certainly appeared responsible for a wheel route run by Ryan Mathews down the sideline as he was the only DB tracking him.  He took a poor angle and Mathews ran right by him down the sideline... only reason that wasn't a long TD too was because Bradford tried to hit him but overthrew it out of bounds.

I wish someone could pull up the clips of these plays to put an end to this Pryor played well BS. If those two plays connect, the narrative is much different.

From the angle the TV gives and from watching whatever videos get posted here or put up on nyjets, he looked pretty good in 2015, and when he got hurt in the Patriots game we suffered.  That's just what I saw, but if you studied the tapes, which it sounds like you have, I believe you.  Sometimes with the Jets, we root for someone and give them a chance and try to be positive, and sadly, most of the time we are wrong.

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

What A shocker !☺️ I love how in denial mac and Bowles are. They give up on prior and draft two safties 1-2. like we don't have huge holes in every other dam position ?Lol. 

This draft was Todd Bowles' giant middle finger to Pryor.

The great irony of Pryor was that he was drafted before Clinton-Dix.

It was one of Idzik's great undoings, as anyone who understood how the NFL is currently played (more passing, more penalties) would have preferred Clinton-Dix.

Too bad, I still think he could be a very good player in certain situations and if Todd Bowles had any sort of creativity he could create plays that utilize his talents

No man, he's just not that good a player, and I bet he's runnin off at the mouth as well. This dude is definitely not long for the team imo.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived