MMQB: ‘The Right Type of Player’: Jamal Adams Is the Future of the Jets

C Mart

FRI MAY. 5, 2017

by Tim Rohan

In Jamal Adams, the Jets are banking on confidence and leadership as the foundation of a team-wide rebuild. Specific needs? Still to be addressed

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — A few weeks before the 2017 NFL draft, the Jets hosted Jamal Adams, the safety from LSU who was considered one of this year’s best prospects, at their facility for a routine get-to-know-you visit. Adams met with several Jets officials that day, and each of them, in one way or another, joked with him: I don’t know why you’re here—there’s no way you’re still on the board when we pick. The Jets held the sixth pick.  

Like most every other team, the Jets had put in a lot of work trying to predict how the first five picks would go. They gathered information and made projections, and then, finally, they actually a ran mock draft simulator and were able to determine what players would be available to them what percentage of the time. “In a lot of our projections,” says the Jets GM Mike Maccagnan, “we never really had [Jamal Adams] getting to us.”

But then the draft finally began last week, and everything changed. The Bears surprised everyone and traded up to No. 2 to take the North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, and then the Titans added another twist, choosing Western Michigan wide receiver Corey Davis at No. 5, which left Adams sitting there when the Jets came on the clock.

The Jets didn’t overthink when Jamal Adams was available to them with the sixth pick.

In years past, the Jets might have overthought this situation. They had several needs that they could have addressed with that sixth pick. After winning 10 games in 2015, Maccagnan’s first year as GM, the Jets had gone 5-11 in 2016, and Maccagnan had torn down the roster, ridding himself of several high-priced veterans—Brandon Marshall, Nick Mangold, Darrelle Revis and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. On the NFL Network’s draft telecast, analyst Daniel Jeremiah asserted that the Jets had the “worst” roster in the league. That 10-win season just two years ago looked like a mirage now.

With the sixth pick, the Jets could have used a cornerback, an offensive lineman or a linebacker. They could have also used a running back, a wide receiver or a tight end. But most of all, they needed a quarterback. Leading up to the draft, the Jets had worked out all of the top QBs: Trubisky, DeShaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes and DeShone Kizer. And all of them except for Trubisky were still there.

This time, the Jets chose logic and reason over desperation. They chose Adams, the player who was firmly atop their draft board at the time, a physical safety who had a good chance of becoming a vocal leader on their team and cornerstone of their defense for years to come. The pick was immediately celebrated as steal, and the Jets praised as smart. Mike Mayock, another NFL Network draft analyst, called Adams the “safest pick in the draft.”

How safe was the Adams pick?

Adams is the only son of George Adams, a former first-round pick of the Giants who won a Super Bowl with them in 1985. George coached his son in pee-wee football and guided him throughout his youth. Jamal blossomed into a five-star high school recruit and went on to LSU, where he started every game of his sophomore and junior seasons and became a First-Team All-American.

All along the way, Adams displayed traits of being an “Alpha,” as Jets coach Todd Bowles put it. George Adams recalled Jamal as a 12-year-old, leading his teammates vocally and by example. That carried over to LSU, where Adams approached everything as if he were already a professional. He showed up to practice early, got extras workout in and kept a healthy diet. In the defensive backs’ group chat, he stayed on his teammates about watching film. Around the football complex Adams made a point of knowing everyone in the building, from the secretary to the janitor. “There’s so many people there that I talk to, to this day,” he says.

Naturally, Adams spoke up in the locker room from time to time, too. When LSU fired its coach, Les Miles, midway through last season, Adams was one of the team leaders who arranged a team meeting to make sure the Tigers stayed together, mentally. He was someone who spoke up and addressed the room, telling everyone: We have to go out as winners.

With Adams leading the way, the Tigers rallied behind their interim coach, Ed Orgeron, and beat No. 13 Louisville in the Citrus Bowl, 29-9. Adams and LSU’s defense held Lamar Jackson, the newly minted Heisman Trophy winner, to 153 yards passing and 33 rushing. Adams finished the game with six tackles, one tackle for loss, and one pass deflected.

It seems inevitable now, that Adams will soon assume a leadership role on the Jets defense. “It definitely is expected in my mind,” Adams says. “All I can do is be myself. I’ve always been a leader. I feel like you’re born a leader. You just bring in the traits that you have, don’t change for anybody, no matter the circumstances, and continue to do what you do best.

“All I can do is come in as a rookie and work as hard as I can,” he adds. “Keep my head down, grind, and earn the respect of the building. That’s all I can do. The rest will follow.”

The rest will follow.

The Jets, it seems, are trying to summon that same confidence as they start this massive rebuild. Just after the draft, owner Woody Johnson gave an interview to ESPN radio and indicated that he was fully committed to a prolonged rebuild through the draft, instead of what he had done in the past, trying to win now by signing pricey free agents.

“If you want to go to the promised land, you’ve got to go in a certain direction,” Johnson said. “I think this is a direction we’ve never tried in the 17 years that I’ve been involved with the Jets. We’ve never gone this way. Get the right type of player in the locker room”—young players like Jamal Adams, and then focus on developing them. “Your own guy, you train from day one,” Johnson added. “I think you’re better off with a homegrown guy.”

Maccagnan showed signs that he was following this new mantra throughout the draft. When the Jets had their turn to pick in the second round, at No. 39, they still had all those needs to fill—offensive tackle, linebacker, cornerback—and Maccagnan picked another safety, Florida’s Marcus Maye, because, again, Maye rated highly on their draft board. In the third and fourth rounds, Maccagnan picked receivers back-to-back, ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen, for the same reason. Maccagnan also traded back five times in total, which netted him a few extra late-round picks this year and an extra 2018 fifth-round pick.

What Maccagnan did not do was address the quarterback position. Perhaps that was smart for now. The Jets would be in no shape to properly support a rookie quarterback, and now they can at least try playing Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty—the quarterbacks Maccagnan picked in the last two drafts—and find out for sure whether they can play.

Johnson indicated that he would be patient during this rebuild, but how long will it last? One year? Two years? More? Who knows. If it does drag out, the question becomes: How long will the Jets stick to this new, patient drafting strategy? Especially if they’re still searching for their franchise quarterback. Early projections indicate that next year’s draft class will include several good quarterbacks. It may be one the strongest classes we’ve seen in years.

And some pundits already project the Jets to have the top pick.

https://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/05/nfl-draft-new-york-jets-jamal-adams

I am somewhat troubled that the Jets joked to Adams that there was no way he would be there at 6.  Don't get me wrong, I like the pick, and it was the right pick there, although some (including many on this board), would have said that an offensive playmaker was worth more (baesd on their franchise tag, among other things) and would have picked Wiiliams.  But given the Jets' lockerroom needs in particular, I am particularly supportive of the Adams pick.   But I expected that teams would focus on pass rushers and offensive players premium to a safety.  I don

But it is not surprising that MT went 2nd.  6 is no man's land for a QB.  If a college QB has the physical and/or mental skills to play NFL QB, they are doing top 5 or better.  Either the picking team takes him, or someone trades up.  MT may be flawed, but he had NFL skills.  QBs with strong potential but flaws, and who need a year or more of seasoning, go in the teens.

Hack, Kizer and Geno were picked somewhat in no man's land in the second round.  We will see where they end up.  That is more 50/50 land, where the Carrs offset the Geno Smiths.

But the fact that WRs came off the board so quickly, and QBs went earlier than expected (with teams trading up, alot), and even Fournette going in the top 5, is pretty consistent with the story that the NFL is a passing/offense league, and that is what the majority of the teams are doing.  Look at the Bears, with their defensive coach, did, spending $20mm on QBs just to have the greatest chance at getting it right, while somewhat ignoring the rest of the team.

I do actually think the Jets can have a decent defense this year.   Mo is going to be much better.   We forget that Bowles was viewed as defensive genius/innovator in AZ, which is why people are still giving him another chance.  He now has better players to play his defense.

But the Jets offense in 2017 could be completely putrid.   The Jets do have alot of cap space in 2018.  Depending upon how good or bad Hack is, I can see the Jets doing what the Bears did, signing a FA QB starter and drafting a QB high.  If the Jets are not picking high enough, they should just use whatever other picks to have to move up.  Hopefully Hack could be the Jets' Glennon as they seek a true blue chip QB, but if he completely flops, it will be  double investment.

Fun times.

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

But the fact that WRs came off the board so quickly, and QBs went earlier than expected (with teams trading up, alot), and even Fournette going in the top 5, is pretty consistent with the story that the NFL is a passing/offense league, and that is what the majority of the teams are doing.

The Jets drafted two safeties, two WRs, two CBs, a TE, a pass catching RB, and a pass rusher. They seemed to recognize that it's a passing league. In a passing league, you also have to defend the pass. Listen, that said, I said before the draft that I would've taken Williams over either Fournette or Adams at #6, and I still would've. I'm a little concerned about how Adams tested at the combine, but I like the leadership/intangibles he brings - as well as production. 

38 minutes ago, C Mart said:

The Jets, it seems, are trying to summon that same confidence as they start this massive rebuild. Just after the draft, owner Woody Johnson gave an interview to ESPN radio and indicated that he was fully committed to a prolonged rebuild through the draft, instead of what he had done in the past, trying to win now by signing pricey free agents.

“If you want to go to the promised land, you’ve got to go in a certain direction,” Johnson said. “I think this is a direction we’ve never tried in the 17 years that I’ve been involved with the Jets. We’ve never gone this way. Get the right type of player in the locker room”—young players like Jamal Adams, and then focus on developing them. “Your own guy, you train from day one,” Johnson added. “I think you’re better off with a homegrown guy.”

This draft, IMHO, was Year One of (at least) a two year rebuild. They screwed up last season. They smelled their own farts and thought they were a winning team. This year they're hitting the reset button. Adams is the type of player who helps Mac and Bowles keep their jobs. He's the guy in the locker room who won't let other players quit. And that's all the guys in charge need: a team that is playing hard thru week 17. 

First time Coach and GM, getting a chance to learn on the job in NYC, doesn't get any tougher than that.

based on this off season, they are doing a good job of learning from the mistakes.

I am going to give them the chance to learn on the job here and see if we can get something going this year with development.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The guy is certainly the right pick as far as leadership and charterer but he has to be able to play and be an impact player as well.

Lets be honest, if this guy isn't Troy polamalu scrutiny will rain down 

4 hours ago, varjet said:

But the Jets offense in 2017 could be completely putrid.

And this is why the Jets will not have a good defense either.  If the offense continues to go 3-and-out, the defense will eventually break.  That's what went on in the Rex/Sanchez years.  So many late leads were blown because the defense needed to get one big stop 3 or 4 times, because the offense could never end the game on the field.

7 minutes ago, gEYno said:

And this is why the Jets will not have a good defense either.  If the offense continues to go 3-and-out, the defense will eventually break.  That's what went on in the Rex/Sanchez years.  So many late leads were blown because the defense needed to get one big stop 3 or 4 times, because the offense could never end the game on the field.

that's not the defense's fault.  we're in full rebuild, so it is what it is.  we're all here hoping hackenberg can learn quickly.  at least we won't have to watch all the overpaid slow underachieving veterans stink up the place anymore.  no more burying the young talent.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

that's not the defense's fault.  we're in full rebuild, so it is what it is.  we're all here hoping hackenberg can learn quickly.  at least we won't have to watch all the overpaid slow underachieving veterans stink up the place anymore.  no more burying the young talent.

I agree it's not the defenses fault.  I'm just saying, the defense is going to look far worse than they may be because it's unlikely we're going to have a lot of success moving the football.  

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The guy is certainly the right pick as far as leadership and charterer but he has to be able to play and be an impact player as well.

Agreed.  He's like Watson but from that perspective but he plays D.  Hopefully he can get these knuckleheads in line.  I dont worry about his on field impact, I think he's going to be a great player. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  He's like Watson but from the perspective but he plays D.  Hopefully he can get these knuckleheads in line.  I dont worry about his on field impact, I think he's going to be a great player. 

Adams will be great, and he'll combine with the six other first rounders on defense to win three games this year. Jets football, baby. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Adams will be great, and he'll combine with the six other first rounders on defense to win three games this year. Jets football, baby. 

Man, you need to get back on your twitter account.  I just checked it... Trump totally killed your spirit.  Sad!

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

New York Jets‏ @nyjets  

.@TheAdams_era on first week as a Jet: "Waking up each day getting ready for work. Now it's a job. This is what we do."

Yea but some folks out here say he was a waste.....

I don't think so.....

21 minutes ago, gEYno said:

There's certainly truth to this, but those offenses also helped the defense at times because the running game was generally very good, and they could often control the clock for good chunks of time. This version of the offense doesn't even have that. Really have to hope this WCO guy gets the short passing game going. 

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'm Rooting for Rosen because he seems like a real hot pistol.

I dont really understand the Rosen love to be honest.  I've only seen him a few times and he wasnt very good.  I remember watching him vs. USC a few years back and he was terrible.  Literally terrible. Like couldnt hit sh*t.  Very confusing why he's considered a top prospect.  

He's an ugly kid too.  I would expect him be pulling much hotter ass playing in LA with a blow up pool in his dorm.  And we all know ugly QB's dont cut it in the NFL.  That's actually the main reason why I think Hack may have a shot.  He's a handsome dude. 

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont really understand the Rosen love to be honest.  I've only seen him a few times and he wasnt very good.  I remember watching him vs. USC a few years back and he was terrible.  Literally terrible. Like couldnt hit sh*t.  Very confusing why he's considered a top prospect.  

He's an ugly kid too.  I would expect him be pulling much hotter ass playing in LA with a blow up pool in his dorm.  And we all know ugly QB's dont cut it in the NFL.  That's actually the main reason why I think Hack may have a shot.  He's a handsome dude. 

Jesse Palmer was gorgeous, so just stop.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jesse Palmer was gorgeous, so just stop.

Jesse Palmer is gorgeous.  However, he was never considered an actual NFL prospect.  The guys we're discussing are actual NFL prospects and looks are a huge part of their success.  

And this young man, is handsome.  He looks like Tarzan.  Suck off Tarzan errr I mean, Suck for Tarzan. 

6MtOYSBi.jpg

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Jesse Palmer is gorgeous.  However, he was never considered an actual NFL prospect.  The guys we're discussing are actual NFL prospects and looks are a huge part of their success.  

And this young man, is handsome.  He looks like Tarzan.  Suck off Tarzan errr I mean, Suck for Tarzan. 

6MtOYSBi.jpg

I think Rosen is attractive enough, but I agree with you that QB hotness is a major factor. The girl in the hot tub with him is in no way reflective of him being a major player on the UCLA campus. Hell, I don't even see how that girl got into UCLA looking like that.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think Rosen is attractive enough, but I agree with you that QB hotness is a major factor. The girl in the hot tub with him is in no way reflective of him being a major player on the UCLA campus. Hell, I don't even see how that girl got into UCLA looking like that.

You have no standards if you think this dude is "attractive":  He's Mike Glennon ugly minus the redness 

091015-CFB-bruins-PI7.vresize.1200.675.h

story_title-286-large-1024.jpg

35 minutes ago, cant wait said:

smug self-righteous attitudes like yours are a big reason why many people voted for him. hell I can't stand the guy but I'm almost willing to now purely out of spite 

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

It seems to me that every year post draft the word among fans and journalists is that the Jets first round pick has extra special leadership qualities.....just saying.....   

Don't remember hearing anything of the sort about Sanchez, Revis, Gholston, Coples, Wilson, D'Rob....Etc.

Archived