Jay Cutler to Fox Sports as analyst

RoadFan

In other words, nobody really wanted him to play QB for their franchise.  Shocker. 

On the bright side, everyone can't stand him anyway... so maybe he won't pull any punches and call it like he sees it.

Jay Cutler - QB -  Free Agent

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, free agent Jay Cutler had previously talked with the Jets and Texans before ultimately retiring on Friday.

As Schefter puts it, the discussions with the Jets were "real," but the talks with Houston were "less promising." There was a report last weekend that the Texans weren't even picking up Cutler's phone calls prior to the draft, and once they drafted Deshaun Watson that sealed Cutler's fate. In a statement Friday, Cutler said he's in between being forced out of the league and not having the desire to keep playing. If a team calls him this season with the opportunity to start, Cutler would probably jump at the situation as long as he's still in playing shape.
Related: JetsTexans

May 5 - 9:47 AM

3 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, free agent Jay Cutler had previously talked with the Jets and Texans before ultimately retiring on Friday.

As Schefter puts it, the discussions with the Jets were "real," but the talks with Houston were "less promising." There was a report last weekend that the Texans weren't even picking up Cutler's phone calls prior to the draft, and once they drafted Deshaun Watson that sealed Cutler's fate. In a statement Friday, Cutler said he's in between being forced out of the league and not having the desire to keep playing. If a team calls him this season with the opportunity to start, Cutler would probably jump at the situation as long as he's still in playing shape.

What exactly is your point with the bold text?

10 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Along with McCown's $ 6 M, this kind of stuff really worries me about Bowels intent on giving the young QB's a chance, and Macc's sanity 

13 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

What exactly is your point with the bold text?

You're so smart and always correct here, so figure it out yourself. Two other posters already have quite easily. 

Read your own statement again and correlate that with the Bold. 

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

You're so smart and always correct here, so figure it out yourself. Two other posters already have quite easily. 

Read your own statement again and correlate that with the Bold. 

Not always right.  Just most of the time...   I felt there were a few possible interpretations of your implication.

11 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Not always right.  Just most of the time...   I felt there were a few possible interpretations of your implication.

Welcome to the internet conundrum. 

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I Wonder if we could have go cutler for the same price we are paying Mc2-20

If they could've, they probably would've. I would imagine that talks broke down over both money and his willingness/ability to play the mentor role because the regime does eventually want to see the kids play. 

Meanwhile Cutler has the personality of a cast member of the Jersey Shore but Fox thinks it's a good idea to hire him to talk.

This is the equivalent of making Tom Sham a Walmart greeter.

I can't imagine anybody wants to hear his thoughts on anything. Maybe he's just there to be the sports analyst equivalent of a sh*tposter. 

There's nothing alarming about the Jets having talked to him in the offseason. Jets wanted a vet backup and he was available. He's a little better on the field than McCown but with a worse attitude and would have demanded way more money. No reason the front office wouldn't pick up the phone and assess the option even if they had no real interest in him. (Cutler saying it was real doesn't make it so.) They could have been simply testing the market while negotiating with McCown. 

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

F you people, Cutler >>> Leinart and Young jjjjjjjjjust like I told you!

I'll be posting something similar in about 5-6 years......I told you guys, Hackenberg>>>Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Watson, Mahommes, Trubisky.:D

and Cutler's off! not a bad analysis:

Jay Cutler says Bears shouldn't play Mitchell Trubisky if club gets off to bad start

Former Bears quarterback-turned-Fox analyst Jay Cutler advised against Chicago playing 2017 second overall pick Mitchell Trubisky if the club gets off to a bad start.

"If it's going downhill, there is no way I'm playing him," Cutler said on ESPN 1000's Waddle and Silvy Show. "For what? So he can go out there and take a beating and get off to a rough start as an NFL quarterback?" . . . 

"If it's going downhill, I really don't see any reason to play the kid. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of people calling for his name because you draft him at No. 2 and you draft him for a reason and that's to play football and win games."

Interestingly, Cutler -- formerly a first-round pick of the Denver Broncos -- started the final five games of his rookie season in 2006.

"I feel like my situation is different than his," Cutler said. "I was on a very veteran team. [Denver head coach] Mike Shanahan was offensive-driven and everything he did centered around the quarterback. That team was built a little different than the Bears are.

"I mean, Russell Wilson, they put him in [as a rookie in Seattle], the defense was unbelievable, they ran the ball a lot, they protected him and moved the pocket. Then go back to Ben Roethlisberger. That first year he was making 12-15 throws per game, the Steelers ran the ball and protected him. You probably have to go back to Dan Marino to find a [first-year quarterback] that was thrown into the fire and asked to throw the ball 30-40 times per game to win. It's really hard to do as a young quarterback.

Makes a good point regarding not wanting to toss out rookie QBs on a weak team because it can only ruin their development . . . . . ala Hackenberg? And dead on about Marino being the last Rookie Passer that could light it up from the get go. 

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:05 PM, Beerfish said:

I Wonder if we could have go cutler for the same price we are paying Mc2-20

Definitely. BUT Cutler starting wins us 3-5 games more than McGowan with his eyes closed.  Mac's master plan.....go with go with the worst possible starting QB on the market and get that #1 pick.

Archived