Jamal Adams on his cheapness, on-field swagger and Head and Shoulders

Gas2No99

Jamal Adams on his cheapness, on-field swagger and Head and Shoulders

by Sleaze Serby

Jamal Adams on his cheapness, on-field swagger and Head and Shoulders

The Jets’ first-round pick, safety Jamal Adams out of LSU, took a timeout to cover some Q&A with Post columnist Sleaze Serby. 

Q: You’ve been compared by some to Giants safety Landon Collins. 
A: They see similar traits as far as covering tight ends and doing a couple of things, but at the same time, I try not to compare myself to anybody. I just try to steal bits and pieces of everybody’s game that I love to watch and try to add to my game. 

Q: What have you stolen from fellow LSU product Tyrann Mathieu — the Cardinals safety known as the “Honey Badger”?
A: Versatility. … His swagger, and how he just plays the game. He plays the game how it’s supposed to be played. Great friend of mine, he’s honestly like my brother. We definitely always talk, and always trying to find an edge.

Q: How would you define swagger on the field?
A: Well a lot of people think it’s what you wear. … That’s maybe 2 percent of swagger. But the rest of the 98 percent is really just mentally and physically locked in, ready to go, on your P’s and Q’s, just locked in on your task, do whatever you can to be great at it.

Q: Somebody referred to you as the “Money Badger.” 
A: (Laugh) I don’t know why they would call me the Money Badger. I’m really cheap. 

Q: How are you cheap?
A: I mean I’m just quality over quantity. I got that from my mother. I don’t spend on dumb things. 

Q: On dumb things?
A: Yeah there’s a lot of people that spend money on crazy, wild things that just make no sense. I’m just blessed with the opportunity to be here, taking care of my family and just doing the right things.

Q: Your mother volunteered to me last week you were cheap. Why would she call you cheap?
A: I just don’t like to spend money. I don’t like to buy anything. Now, I’ve taken care of my first tab, as a family, and they were shocked that I even did that (smile). But at the same time, I always try to keep my money, save it up.

Q: Tell me about your first tab.
A: California Pizza (chuckle). Took care of that tab. 

Q: For how many people?
A: I think it was a total of six.

Q: So what did that cost you?
A: It was like … $125.

Q: And it probably killed you, right?
A: Yeah it did. It hurt me. It really did (laugh).

Q: Are you a lousy tipper too?
A: No, no, no, I’m a great tipper. Gave her 15 dollars, so at the end of the day it hit me.

Q: Fifteen dollars is not really a great tip. 
A: Off of $125 it is, to me. It’s just how I am. Especially my brother and I, my middle brother. We’ve always been cheap.

Q: You’re probably going to have to take some of the veterans out at some point aren’t you?
A: I know. That’s definitely going to be hard. I’m just gonna put the card in and turn away and sign, and don’t even want to look at the tab.

Q: What is your on-field mentality?
A: Everybody always asks how I go about things when I’m on the field mentally, but it’s just locked and loaded. As a safety, especially as a defensive back, you have to be locked in at all times. … You think about it, it’s almost like war — bullets are flying, and you gotta focus and continue the task.

Q: Your father told me the night of the draft that you have Lawrence Taylor’s mentality. 
A: He’s never said that to me. Maybe he’s just trying to keep me down and just keep working (smile), but that’s an honor that I don’t know how to accept. 

Q: Do you pride yourself on being an intimidator?
A: I wouldn’t call myself an intimidator. … You definitely want to bring intimidation to receivers coming across the middle, or fearing you. But at the end of the day, you just want respect. 

Q: New York is a star town. Can Jamal Adams become a star?
A: In my eyes, Jamal Adams could become a star, but at first, he has to take care of the little things first, by earning the respect of his teammates and the staff, and just working hard each day. 

Q: Who are leaders you admire?
A: Tom Brady, Kobe Bryant, my father, my mother, Brian Dawkins … the list goes on and on about leaders.

Q: Why are you able to lead?
A: I feel like you’re born a leader. You can always work at it, but you definitely have to know your teammates as far as knowing how to talk to certain ones ’cause everybody takes things different. As far as just leading by example, just doing the right things.

Q: What drives you?
A: Probably my family, the name on the back of my back, just always doing the right things, never getting complacent, always working hard.

Q: If you could pick the brain of one defensive player in the history of the NFL, who would you pick?
A: Lawrence Taylor.

Q: What would you ask him?
A: How does he do it? How does he go about his mentality? And what keeps him going?

Q: If you could go one-on-one with one offensive player in history …
A: That’s tough. … Let’s go with Randy Moss.

Q: Why him?
A: Because he’s one of the best to ever do it, and I want to go against the best. Going against the best, it elevates your game.

Q: Do you talk trash?
A: I do.

Q: Are you good at it?
A: I feel I am.

adams-2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300&s

Jamal AdamsBill Kostroun

Q: So if I’m a hot-shot running back, what would you tell me to get me off my game?
A: Well, first I gotta make plays on the running back. And we definitely have to be winning. You don’t talk noise when you’re losing. 

Q: Which quarterbacks do you want to intercept?
A: As many quarterbacks as I can.

Q: Nobody in particular?
A: It would definitely be a great pick for Tom Brady. So much respect for him, so much respect for that organization. I’m just gonna do whatever I can, do what the coaches ask, and hopefully I’ll get some picks. 

Q: What are your personal goals for the season?
A: Get on the roster. Make the team. 

Q: Why is that your personal goal?
A: Because as a rookie you come in and you just do what you’re asked to do, earn the respect of the locker room, earn the respect of your coaching staff, and the rest can follow.

Q: Did you do a Head and Shoulders commercial?
A: Not a commercial. I signed with them (chuckle).

Q: How did you get that? That’s Odell Beckham Jr.’s deal.
A: I guess just great hair, and great looks (laugh). I don’t know, I was just fortunate enough to get a call from ’em, and I’m excited to work with them.

Q: What influence has former Steelers safety Ryan Clark had on you?
A: Ryan has not only helped me on the field as far as film work as far as technique-wise and studying the game of football, but he’s taught me a lot about life, he’s taught me a lot about relationships, doing the right things on and off the field. 

Q: Who are athletes in other sports you admire?
A: [Russell] Westbrook … John Wall … Michael Jordan. I love guys that play the game how it’s supposed to be played. Always go hard for the team.

Q: Do you play football the way Westbrook plays basketball?
A: Yes sir. I do.

Q: Describe that dog mentality.
A: It’s a little bit of swagger, it’s a little bit of effort, it’s a little bit of taking over, making impact plays.

Q: How did you hold Alabama tight end O.J. Howard to one catch for minus-3 yards last November?
A: My teammates around me. They definitely helped me. But as well film study and being coached.

Q: What is the difference in style between him and former Ole Miss tight end Evan Engram, who was drafted by the Giants?
A: One’s bigger [Howard], and one’s a little smaller than the other. I think their game is very similar. Two great players.

Q: Do you think Engram will make an impact with the Giants?
A: I believe so.

Q: What do you remember about Darrelle Revis?
A: Revis Island. It’s set in stone. He’s definitely a legend to come through here. He created a foundation that corners have to live up to, defensive backs have to live up to. 

Q: Has it hurt you to see your father, former Giants running back George Adams, in pain over the years? 
A: Yeah, it definitely does. You see him, has a limp, and you see all the sacrifice he has to go through, long nights, long days. … Yet he still smiles, he still laughs, has a great time.

Q: Boyhood idol?
A: My father.

Q: Were you the best dresser at LSU?
A: Come on now. … I believe so.

Q: How would you describe your fashion style?
A: Unique, with a pop.

Q: A pop?
A: Not too flashy. Just that right touch. 

adams-3.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=216&s

Jamal Adams makes a catch during Jets rookie minicamp.Bill Kostroun

Q: Describe your LSU teammate Leonard Fournette, who was drafted two spots ahead of you by the Jaguars.
A: He’s a bruiser, but he can also make you miss.

Q: Superstitions?
A: Not at all.

Q: Favorite actor?
A: Denzel Washington.

Q: Favorite entertainers?
A: Cedric the Entertainer, Mike Epps, Chris Rock, there’s so many.

Q: Favorite meal?
A: Probably salmon.

Q: You’re not accustomed to losing. This team is in a rebuilding mode. How are you going to handle losing?
A: Of course no one likes to lose. I know I don’t like to lose. I think it’s the worst feeling ever. But when you do have losses, turn on the film the next day, you learn from it, and you bounce back. So you just keep your head down and everything will be fine.

Q: The Jets haven’t won a Super Bowl since Jan. 12, 1969.
A: Well, hopefully one comes soon. All we can do is do what we’re asked to do, put our head down and grind, and do the right things.

Q: Why is New York the right market for you?
A: It’s where God had me landing. This is my opportunity of a lifetime. This is my calling to be a Jet, and I’m a proud Jet.

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Q: If you could pick the brain of one defensive player in the history of the NFL, who would you pick?
A: Lawrence Taylor.

Q: What would you ask him?
A: How does he do it? How does he go about his mentality? And what keeps him going?

Answer: Cocaine. 

6da082fbfafcf593d64799e9da4e11b4df2899b7

7 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Waiting tables: instilled the incentive to finish my business degree.

Sure. I manage restaurants for a living. Some people are just really bad about it. 

27 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

"Jets first rounder believes you shouldn't tip your waiters." I don't know why these editors are sucking at headlines so much

Incorrect and misleading, even for $hitmini or Sleazy Serby

He did tip the waiter, it just wasn't the customary percentage (10% when I worked tables back in 2000) and definitely not the "new norm" of 18% in the US and 20-22% here in "Everything is so damn expensive NYC"

6 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Incorrect and misleading, even for $hitmini or Sleazy Serby

He did tip the waiter, it just wasn't the customary 10% (when I worked tables back in 2000) and definitely not the "new norm" of 18% in the US and 20-22% here in "Everything is so damn expensive NYC"

"Jets First Rounder Hates Waiters"

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

How very "Jamal Adams" of you.

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

How very "Jamal Adams" of you.

Jesus Christ I mean, these ladies aren't starving to death. They make minimum wage. You know, I used to work minimum wage and when I did I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tipworthy.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Jesus Christ I mean, these ladies aren't starving to death. They make minimum wage. You know, I used to work minimum wage and when I did I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tipworthy.

Why do you think that only women are waiters ?

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Every job is tipworthy, if you show the right amount of skin.

Just now, kdels62 said:

Every job is tipworthy, if you show the right amount of skin.

So is working at McDonald's, but you don't see anyone tip them, do ya? Why not? They're serving you food. But no, society says don't tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here. That's bullsh*t.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So is working at McDonald's, but you don't see anyone tip them, do ya? Why not? They're serving you food. But no, society says don't tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here. That's bullsh*t.

Not suppose to fart in church either....I hear it does not go over well.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This guy is too good to be true. If he lives up to the hype which I think he will.. he's my new favorite Jet ..and that's easy.

He is a very easy guy to root for and you can see even from this interview why he a leader for real. 

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You can't differentiate between a CASHIER at a fast food joint and a server? For real? 

Also, if the servers really were paid minimum wage by the establishments that they work for there would be tremendous sticker shock when looking at a menu. And, Happy Hour? Bye bye, never again. 50 cent wing night? Nope, not happening. For those who don't now what I'm saying; Servers and bartenders in my state are guaranteed $7.25/hr. However, that is based on no tips coming in. For instance, if the server worked one hour for the whole day and made $5 in tips, the establishment is on the hook for the other $2.25. 

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This guy is too good to be true. If he lives up to the hype which I think he will.. he's my new favorite Jet ..and that's easy.

I'm giving it his rookie year but then finally I think I have a jersey to buy for my son.

21 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

You can't differentiate between a CASHIER at a fast food joint and a server? For real? 

Also, if the servers really were paid minimum wage by the establishments that they work for there would be tremendous sticker shock when looking at a menu. And, Happy Hour? Bye bye, never again. 50 cent wing night? Nope, not happening. For those who don't now what I'm saying; Servers and bartenders in my state are guaranteed $7.25/hr. However, that is based on no tips coming in. For instance, if the server worked one hour for the whole day and made $5 in tips, the establishment is on the hook for the other $2.25. 

I mean I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's ****ed up. That ain't my fault. It would appear to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government ****s in the ass on a regular basis. If you show me a piece of paper that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it. But what I won't do is play ball. And this non-college bullsh*t you're givin' me, I got two words for that: learn to ****in' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big ****in' surprise.

29 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Are you talking about cash tips left on a table or tips added electronically by credit or debit card?

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hey look, I've got this really smoking hot 21 YO serving me sausage McMuffins.   If she'd show me any skin, I'd tip her

Archived