NY Jets OTA Updates

JetNation

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That is nice, but 59% for 2955 and 20/10 is not a particularly great year.  

I really don't give much of a **** about this "pro style offense".  The main reason you want a pro style offense is to shorten the time it takes to be ready for the NFL game.  What good does it do for a guy that is going to redshirt?  

It's not like he was so successful, see his numbers above.  People act like his success was stifled by this NFL coach and system.  I understand he isn't going to put up pinball numbers like it was Chad Kelly, but that doesn't explain his poor completion percentage which dropped when he went to the dink and dunk.  I wish the kid the best, but I am just tired of hearing about his adversity.  It's as if Happy Valley was a ******* minefield.

You sound like more of a checkers player than a chess player.

The fact that some of you can't grasp that a lack of scholarships/talent could lead to a deflated completion percentage is a little mind boggling. Many of us realize that he can suck but also realize that he COULD be a diamond in the rough who's growth was stunted by a lack of talent at PSU. I'm a PSU fan. I saw it first hand. He had zero offensive line. 

Please continue on with your sojf circle jerk with tomshane.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I really don't give much of a **** about this "pro style offense".  The main reason you want a pro style offense is to shorten the time it takes to be ready for the NFL game.  What good does it do for a guy that is going to redshirt?  

It's not like he was so successful, see his numbers above.  People act like his success was stifled by this NFL coach and system.  I understand he isn't going to put up pinball numbers like it was Chad Kelly, but that doesn't explain his poor completion percentage which dropped when he went to the dink and dunk.  I wish the kid the best, but I am just tired of hearing about his adversity.  It's as if Happy Valley was a ******* minefield.

You asked  why "as a freshman".  

The rest is just rehash garbage. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You sound like more of a checkers player than a chess player.

The fact that some of you can't grasp that a lack of scholarships/talent could lead to a deflated completion percentage is a little mind boggling. Many of us realize that he can suck but also realize that he COULD be a diamond in the rough who's growth was stunted by a lack of talent at PSU. I'm a PSU fan. I saw it first hand. He had zero offensive line. 

Please continue on with your sojf circle jerk with tomshane.

sojf circle jerk say donkey is slow.

You say until we see it in Kentucky Derby IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW FOR SURE.

Who is dumb?

Glauber states it well. Its May in shorts

Jets QB Christian Hackenberg shows signs of progress at team OTAs

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — Before we go any further with our discussion about Christian Hackenberg, a caution. A very big, bold, unmistakable caution, one that needs to be put out there to add context to a subject that is of critical concern to anyone with even a remote interest in the Jets:

It is May, the players are not in pads, they can’t hit, and there may be little correlation between what happens now and the time the games start to count. 

With that out of the way, we offer this: Despite some erratic play early in practice Tuesday — with one near-interception that tells you there is still a long way to go — the second-year quarterback showed some things as practice went along that gave the definite impression that at least there is some progress being made. 

Enough to make you wonder if Hackenberg can be the capable starting quarterback the Jets so desperately need? Of course not. At least not yet, when there are miles to go before the regular season starts and a training camp’s worth of practices and preseason games to see more tangible proof of improvement. 

But . . .

Take the following sequence in 7-on-7’s later in practice: Hackenberg hit second-year receiver Charone Peake in stride on a post route. The throw was perfect, although Peake dropped the ball. Next throw: a flat route to rookie tight end Jordan Leggett to the left, with the ball delivered in stride. Next one: a short completion to the right to third-year receiver Frankie Hammond. And then a completion over the middle to tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins. 

Later in practice, during an 11-on-11 drill, he finds receiver Deshon Foxx open over the middle. Perfectly thrown ball. Next play, the Jets’ defense runs a blitz to Hackenberg’s right, and he hits Leggett in the spot from where the blitzer started his rush. 

Again, helmets and shorts, no contact, no score being kept. But if you’re looking for incremental progress from a player who may be one of the most important elements of the 2017 season — and beyond — there is certainly something there that at least looks promising. 

“He’s definitely developed,” said wide receiver Quincy Enunwa, who may have been the team’s most improved player last season. “He’s putting in the work, and you see it. You have to give guys time to develop. That’s not to say there’s any correlation between me and him, but you have to give it time. At the quarterback position, it’s even harder. You have to be a special guy to come in and play that first day. But he has the mentality to be really good. He just has to keep putting in the work.”

Is it enough to convince the Jets to take a flier on Hackenberg and see what he can do with a team that blew up the roster in the offseason and went with a younger group just about everywhere — with one notable exception in 37-year-old quarterback Josh McCown? Way too soon to tell. With an open competition declared by coach Todd Bowles at the start of the off-season, a decision probably won’t be rendered until late August, when Bowles has more definitive proof whether Hackenberg, holdover Bryce Petty or the newly signed McCown should be the starter. 

The most likely scenario is going into the season with McCown, who has some familiarity with first-year offensive coordinator John Morton’s West Coast system and whose veteran savvy will be his biggest asset in the training camp competition. To be sure, McCown has been the more consistent quarterback early on, which is no surprise considering his veteran know-how can’t be matched by either Hackenberg or Petty. 

But the idea here is to figure out a long-term solution at quarterback, and if Hackenberg can take a major step forward, then he can at least be part of the conversation. If he continues to make more mistakes like the boneheaded pass he threw early in practice Tuesday, then he will not earn his way into the starting lineup. But if his progression through training camp and the preseason mirrors what he did as this practice wore on, then he needs to at least be considered. 

The man who will ultimately make the decision about who plays quarterback will reserve judgment for now. 

“It’s coming along pretty good,” Bowles said. “[Hackenberg] is getting a grasp of the offense and learning it. With 11 guys out there the first time, there’s going to be mistakes. But he’s coming along.”

Translation: He needs to see more — much more — before making a final determination. Best-case scenario for the coach is that Hackenberg at least makes it a tough decision.

Kimberley A. Martin (@KMart_LI)
Glauber: Hackenberg shows signs of progress nwsdy.li/2rllD2W via @Newsday

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Hackenberg hit second-year receiver Charone Peake in stride on a post route. The throw was perfect, although Peake dropped the ball. Next throw: a flat route to rookie tight end Jordan Leggett to the left, with the ball delivered in stride. Next one: a short completion to the right to third-year receiver Frankie Hammond. And then a completion over the middle to tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins

Omg so hard RN 

13 minutes ago, C Mart said:

You asked  why "as a freshman".  

The rest is just rehash garbage. 

I don't think I asked at all.  I made a statement.  I am tired of hearing his alleged success qualified.  If we were talking about Darnold's stats we wouldn't have to be saying "he did it as a freshman" or count his scholarships.  The kid put up numbers.  Hackenberg looked passable and people thought he'd be a top tier draft pick if he continued to progress.  He didn't progress, so looking at his numbers we have to keep saying "as a freshman"

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think I asked at all.  I was saying that I am tired of hearing his alleged success qualified.  If we were talking about Darnold's stats we wouldn't have to be saying "he did it as a freshman" or count his scholarships.  The kid put up numbers.  Hackenberg looked passable and people thought he'd be a top tier draft pick if he continued to progress.  He didn't progress, so looking at his numbers we have to keep saying "as a freshman"

BTW, PSU's defense was banged up at linebacker, and that greatly affected how they covered, and Darnold hit them hard in the seams between LB drop and secondary. PSU was playing soft there.

I can play the game of, xxx is good because it was given away, too.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Why isn't Bortles "special" then since Robinson seems to be able to sprinkle magic dust on his QBs

Turns out that the NFL is harder than college?  Also, objective measures say Hack was far from "special" as a freshman.  Point is, in that year, the ball went to Robinson more than just about all others combined... That's not irrelevant.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Jacob Eason, the next big thing that everyone has ben fawning over since he commited, posted this line as a true freshman:

20170530_182543.png

For a true freshman, Hack's season was pretty damn good.  Especially when you factor in the system that he was running was a complicated and TRUE NFL system.  His numbers dipped because Happy Valley was, in fact, a minefield after those (completely warranted) sanctions came down and, on top of that, he didn't fit the system that the new Head Coach wanted to run.  I hated Franklin long before he came to PSU so this isn't a "just blame James Franklin" diatribe.  I don't think he's a great Head Coach, especially when we're talking about a guy who can develop NFL talent.  If O'Brien stayed, I really believe Hackenberg and Penn State's paths would have been drastically different.  However, that's neither here nor there because that's not what happened.  I get what you're saying but you are downplaying a developmental nightmare for a ton of prospects, not just Hack.

I'm a fan of Christian's.  I'm not going to defend him if he bombs out in a blazing sh*tstorm.  I'm not going to sit here and gloat if he works out either.  If he fails to become our guy, I'll move on to the next QB we draft and hope for better results, just like everyone else here.  I just want a damn QB.  However, trying to downplay what happened to Penn State after the hammer came down is just rewriting history.  Freaking out over INTs (or TDs for that matter) on OTA #4(?), the second open to the media in limited fashion, is also a little out there but I guess I get why people are doing it.  I like that he's improved his mechanics and the results are there.  It's good to see that the only two balls that really missed for him today are 1-2 deep balls during a drill that was meant to help the WRs more than anything else and a pass that was beautifully read and defended by our top 10 draft pick who has a ton of hype behind him as an instinctual/phenomenal safety prospect.  It's good to see he's hitting guys in stride compared to last year.  That's all we can really take away from this stuff though.  We're not going to learn much about anything from OTAs.  Good or bad.  All 3 QBs got a brand new playbook and are running it for the first time with camp tryouts (for the most part) in a 10 day span.  The only one with a semblance of familiarity with a WCO is Josh McCown, the 15 year vet.  Of f*cking course he's going to look the best.  Why is any of this a surprise to anyone?  Even though I'm not expecting much from the guy, it would be pretty damn alarming if he didn't look like the best guy out there.  I'll wait for the dog days of August and the preseason games to flip out.  If the progress isn't there, yeah I'll be pissed with the rest of you.  We're not there yet though.

28 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Turns out that the NFL is harder than college?  Also, objective measures say Hack was far from "special" as a freshman.  Point is, in that year, the ball went to Robinson more than just about all others combined... That's not irrelevant.

Best receiver to ever play in an "ocean"

43 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

BTW, PSU's defense was banged up at linebacker, and that greatly affected how they covered, and Darnold hit them hard in the seams between LB drop and secondary. PSU was playing soft there.

I can play the game of, xxx is good because it was given away, too.

75. PSU LB's banged up

42 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Man, I just cant wait for the Jets to pay McCown 12 Million while Hackenberg continues to confirm that he was no where near a 2nd round pick. This is just sad. 

I mean, all I deduced from that was:

- Vet QB looks like Vet QB.

- Skrine looked good.

- The top Defensive Player in the draft looked like the Top Defensive player in the draft and is living up to his hype so far.

5 hours ago, C Mart said:

Kimberley A. Martin‏ @KMart_LI  

Jets announce they've signed WR Chris Harper and waived TE Braedon Bowman...

I noticed Bowman walking inside w/ head trainer John Mellody during practice, but couldn't tell what was wrong from far away

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Interesting.  This is at least the 3rd WR they have picked up from the Niners (Patton, Cannon) and 2nd from Cal (Hansen).  

I kind of like Bowman as a prospect.  Small school guy (S Alabama) who is a fairly high level athlete.  This is the kind of guy UDFA that can turn out to be a useful player, particularly after a year or two of seasoning/training to block.

4 hours ago, C Mart said:

Think the niners connection is just a coincidence..Patton was there w/Morton but Cannon is a rookie and seems to have the skillset i.e. speed DSmith was supposed to provide. 

California WR Chris Harper NFL Draft Scouting Report

Oct 18, 2014; Berkeley, CA, USA; California Golden Bears wide receiver Chris Harper (6) makes a one-handed touchdown catch over UCLA Bruins defensive back Ishmael Adams (1) in the second quarter at Memorial Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

Every year when NFL Draft evaluations are happening, there are a number of players that you’re left wondering, what in the world was everyone thinking? How did this guy slip through the cracks?

That would apply to California wide receiver Chris Harper, who is only 5-foot-11, 175 pounds. If you search his name in Google, you’re going to come up with a bunch of results for 2013 wide receiver prospect Chris Harper of Kansas State, who has bounced around the NFC West a bit in his NFL career.

You really have to do some digging on this guy, but it’s worth it.

There’s nothing spectacular about his numbers, but that’s due largely to inconsistent quarterback play, it seems. Harper caught 52 passes this past year as a junior, racking up 632 yards and six touchdowns, while also contributing as a punt returner. In 2013 as a sophomore, Harper caught 69 balls for 840 yards and five touchdowns.

Nothing spectacular about the numbers, nothing standing out about the averages that would make you go back and wonder what more this guy did that we’re not seeing.

But if you thought that numbers never lie, then you’ve been believing a lie.

Robert Klemko at MMQB did a great piece on Harper, highlighting one of this year’s biggest NFL Scouting Combine snubs. Heck, Harper is so unknown by the masses at this point, this guy doesn’t even have a mock draftable web.

That’s a big deal, in case you didn’t know.

He doesn’t have a scouting report that pops up when you search his name, just a couple of articles and things mixed in with the former Kansas State Chris Harper. It’s pretty sad, really.

But, if you do the digging, you’ll find people who have done some homework on the Cal version of Chris Harper, the guy who left school early after doing things like this. Highlight reel catches do not a great prospect make, but Harper appears to be so much more than that. Thankfully, Draft Breakdown has some of his 2013 tape in their archive, and you can see through different games that this kid’s skill set, while far from complete, is the real deal.

First and foremost, what jumps out about Harper’s tape is his phenomenal athletic ability and quickness. You see him explode in and out of his routes, and he finds ways to make himself the open receiver seemingly every play. What I like most about his game is that you don’t often see guys with that kind of speed and quickness at the collegiate level running such precise routes from different positions, especially as just a sophomore.

In this tape, Harper is playing in his second year of college football and is schooling defensive backs up and down the field. He will get open inside, outside, short, intermediate, deep downfield, and he makes tough catches. Unlike other players his size, Harper fights for the football and plays with a bit of physicality and swagger, which I really like.

You can see throughout the video plays where Harper will make excellent effort to work back toward the line of scrimmage and fight for the football, whether contested or not. He makes tough, over the shoulder catches and displays great concentration on deep balls downfield.

One of his greatest attributes is his ability after the catch. Perhaps a downside to his game at times, Harper fights for extra yardage, almost to a fault, and has the ability to make defenders miss in the open field right before he accelerates past them for a bigger gain.

For whatever reasons NFL  teams decide — be it size, lack of big numbers statistically, or the fact that he chose to leave school after just three years, Harper will be under-drafted. He isn’t going to go as high as he should, or maybe I’m just too high on him. Either way, this is a player that has really caught my eye and someone who has slipped through the cracks, to this point.

He does everything well as a receiver and has the type of confidence in himself you love to see in a young receiver. He could be one of the biggest steals of the draft.

Over the course of the next few weeks, we will take a look at the men fighting for those spots on the 2016 New England Patriots. Today, we'll take a look at wide receiver Chris Harper.

Name: Chris Harper

Position: Wide receiver

Jersey number: 14

Experience: 1

Size: 5'11, 185 lbs.

2015 review: After not getting selected in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Patriots signed Chris Harper in early May. The former Cal receiver had a very good first summer in New England, and thanks to an impressive preseason – 15 catches for 150 yards and a touchdown – earned himself a spot on the team's initial 53-man roster.

However, Harper, who was active for five games during his rookie campaign, could not establish himself as a consistent option on offense and special teams. He was cut and re-signed twice, and finished his first NFL season with one catch for six yards and three punt returns for 17 yards.

His most memorable play was one he didn't make – one that played a key role in losing to the Denver Broncos in week 12: in the game's fourth quarter and with the Patriots leading 20-7, Harper tried to field a Broncos punt but was tackled immediately. He lost the football, which was recovered by Denver and four plays later turned into a touchdown, while his team lost momentum.

2016 preview: In 2015, Harper's performance in training camp and the preseason earned him a spot on the Patriots' initial roster. Despite increased competition this year by newly acquired wideouts Chris Hogan and Malcolm Mitchell as well as recently extended Keshawn Martin, the 22-year old could find himself on the team once again due to the uncertainties surrounding the injury statuses of Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola.

If Edelman and Amendola recover as expected from their respective offseason surgeries, Harper faces an uphill battle to survive cuts this year. While he offers some experience as a pass catcher and return man, those qualities might not be enough to earn him a spot. After all, the wide receiver depth chart is crowded as six players (the above mentioned five plus core special teamer Matthew Slater) are locks or near-locks to make the team. It's a numbers game and Harper's might not be prominent enough to win it.

Therefore, Harper's best chance to stick around in Foxboro seems to be via the Patriots' practice squad and in a role similar to last year's: an emergency option, promoted only in case of injury to a wideout or kick returner.

---

Chris Harper left a tremendous first impression in New England but couldn't keep up once the games became more contested and the opponents better. Still, he should get more chances this summer to show that his 2015 preseason was no fluke and that he is worthy of a spot on the Patriots' payroll.

The San Francisco 49ers made a roster move on Tuesday, activating wide receiver Chris Harper from injured reserve

Harper joined the NFL in 2015 as an undrafted free agent out of Cal. He played in five games for the New England Patriots last season, catching one pass for six yards. Harper was waived by the Patriots at the end of the preseason, after which he joined the 49ers practice squad. Harper was promoted to the 49ers for one game in September, after which he was waived and eventually re-signed with the practice squad.

10 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You have experienced the same misery as the rest of us. We all know the history, and our luck, so of course there is a good chance Hack will not pan out, but for now all we have is hope. To come to this forum and bash Hack before he has had a chance to fail is your typical SOJF whiner mentality. 

Connor Hughes seems to think that Hack has outplayed Petty. That's not saying much, but it's still good news and a sign of improvement. Let's be real, the only hope we have for this season is the development of Hack or going 0-16 and drafting Darnold (Rosen etc..)

Why is this so hard for some to see...

Thank you

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I mean, all I deduced from that was:

- Vet QB looks like Vet QB.

- Skrine looked good.

- The top Defensive Player in the draft looked like the Top Defensive player in the draft and is living up to his hype so far.

You forgot that the 2nd round pick that's been on the team for a year has yet to live up to that high draft pick. 

Or that the jets front office have a history of overpaying vet QB's because the look like vet QB's.

But you don't see that. That's cool, I hear bliss is a viable option for a jets fan. Lol

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

You forgot that the 2nd round pick that's been on the team for a year has yet to live up to that high draft pick. 

Or that the jets front office have a history of overpaying vet QB's because the look like vet QB's.

But you don't see that. That's cool, I hear bliss is a viable option for a jets fan. Lol

No lol, in my long winded rant (y'all are my therapists lol), I mentioned that he hasn't, but that we won't have the answer in shirts and shorts so don't read too much into all of this.  The 15 year vet with experience in the WCO should be ahead.  Connor and the other beat guys, even the negative ones, have all echoed that sentiment.  I'd say the same if one of the 2 young guys were lighting it up, something Geno Smith did in his first ever OTA...before falling to earth in August.

Ignorant bliss is, by all means, a great coping mechanism when born a Jets fan but right now I'd say that I am at the "Get on your knees and pray for the best in August" stage and trying and enjoy the fact that football is somewhat back and that we can use these OTAs to dissect what we are actually able to dissect.  We're not gonna get an answer on anyone's career in late May though.  Especially anyone at the QB position.  That's all I mean.  It's something that we're all going to look at and talk about because QB>>>>everything else, but there are other things that can be talked about (WRs, LBs, TEs, Rookies) that haven't got a lick of attention because the same overreactions to spring "drills" are repeated ad nauseum every other comment.  

Also, for the record, I have a long history of not wanting to pay old vets (i.e. Sh*tzf*ckface) so I'm most certainly not blind to that my compadre ?.

18 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I say this only to temper the over-reactions, but Connor Hughes said this via twitter and it seems like anyone and their brother is just repeating it... there doesn't seem to be much in the way of substantiative witnesses. I think it's just a beat guy throwing out a reaction, for reaction.

Agreed. It just a sh*tty thing to say, typical parasite media BS is all. I don't take stock in what these fools say until I see it play out on the field

The key to this season is obviously Hackenberg.  Either he develops into a starter and we finally have our franchise QB or he proves once and for all that he's hot garbage, we have a terrible season, and fall in line to draft a top QB next season.  Either way we win, don't we?  The only way the Jets can mess this up is by playing McCown and having hm win just enough games for us to lose out on drafting a top QB next year. 

Hackenberg  is learning a new system this year  and he has mechanical flaws he is trying to improve on. I think there is too much hope/pressure for a guy who was drafted too high and had one good year in a pro style system. I am behind the kid 100%. He needs time in the same system, he more than likely will need more time then we hoped. There will be a lot of growing pains and hopefully he learns and gets better in the process. I just don't think you can expect that much from Hack this year, besides seeing how he progresses through the season. He needs to play, I wouldn't count out Petty yet either. It's still way to early to judge him as a QB until we see him play. I am not expecting for a Russel Wilson or Dak type of season I just want to see him be able to get out there and take command of the offense and learn as the season goes on. 

4 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Hackenberg  is learning a new system this year  and he has mechanical flaws he is trying to improve on. I think there is too much hope/pressure for a guy who was drafted too high and had one good year in a pro style system. I am behind the kid 100%. He needs time in the same system, he more than likely will need more time then we hoped. There will be a lot of growing pains and hopefully he learns and gets better in the process. I just don't think you can expect that much from Hack this year, besides seeing how he progresses through the season. He needs to play, I wouldn't count out Petty yet either. It's still way to early to judge him as a QB until we see him play. I am not expecting for a Russel Wilson or Dak type of season I just want to see him be able to get out there and take command of the offense and learn as the season goes on. 

Why not parlay Hackenberg's growing pains into a top 3 draft pick next season?  The only way the kid is going to learn is to actually play.  Maybe he'll surprise us all and be decent.  It's a win-win for the Jets.

18 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Why not parlay Hackenberg's growing pains into a top 3 draft pick next season?  The only way the kid is going to learn is to actually play.  Maybe he'll surprise us all and be decent.  It's a win-win for the Jets.

I have no problem with that, I hope he starts. Unfortunately it's not up to us, it will be the he gives us the best chance to win line. I am all for putting him or Petty out there right away. 

30 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Except for the head coach and he is the one that decides who plays.  If the Jets had handed Bowles a 5 year extension in the off season things might be different.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Except for the head coach and he is the one that decides who plays.  If the Jets had handed Bowles a 5 year extension in the off season things might be different.

Woody supposedly gave Bowles and Mac a vote confidence this season regardless of record, that may serve the same a 5 year extension . The key is how will Bowles view it and I think only he knows that answer right now. 

Archived