NY Jets OTA Updates

JetNation

38 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You have experienced the same misery as the rest of us. We all know the history, and our luck, so of course there is a good chance Hack will not pan out, but for now all we have is hope. To come to this forum and bash Hack before he has had a chance to fail is your typical SOJF whiner mentality. 

Connor Hughes seems to think that Hack has outplayed Petty. That's not saying much, but it's still good news and a sign of improvement. Let's be real, the only hope we have for this season is the development of Hack or going 0-16 and drafting Darnold (Rosen etc..)

Curious, would you consider being redshirted as a 2nd round pick and not allowed to see the field as a failure?  Or would you consider not being able to beat out the worst QB's in the NFL (Fitz, Geno and Petty) failing? 

Or is failing only directly related to what happens on the field? 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

**** yeah baby!!!!

McCown looking better than Petty and Hackenberg at Jets’ OTAs

Michael David Smith,ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports 32 minutes ago 

The Jets are giving all three of the quarterbacks on their roster a chance to win the starting job, but Josh McCown appears to be a step ahead of Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg.

McCown took the first snaps in the Organized Team Activities that were open to the media, and according to Connor Hughes of NJ.com, McCown is looking like far and away the best quarterback on the practice field.

The Jets signed McCown this year with the idea that he could start if needed and could also help mentor Petty, a 2015 fourth-round pick, and Hackenberg, a 2016 second-round pick. All three of them are likely to make the 53-man roster, but it remains to be seen what order they’ll be in on the Week One depth chart.

McCown, who turns 38 on July 4, appears to have the edge over both of the youngsters. If Petty or Hackenberg can make it a close call, they might get the nod because the Jets would rather groom a young quarterback. At the moment, however, it doesn’t sound like the competition is particularly close.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Curious, would you consider being redshirted as a 2nd round pick and not allowed to see the field as a failure?  Or would you consider not being able to beat out the worst QB's in the NFL (Fitz, Geno and Petty) failing? 

I posses basic reading comprehension skills, so when the Jets said BEFORE THE SEASON that he would not play in 2016, I took them at their word and was not surprised he did not start. Personally, I wanted to see him the last couple of games, but I completely understand why they didn't want to play him behind a garbage team that was mailing it in.  

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I posses basic reading comprehension skills, so when the Jets said BEFORE THE SEASON that he would not play in 2016, I took them at their word and was not surprised he did not start. Personally, I wanted to see him the last couple of games, but I completely understand why they didn't want to play him behind a garbage team that was mailing it in.  

So then Hack didnt fail by showcasing enough to be considered for some snaps nor was he a failure by not beating out the worst cast of QB's in the NFL because the Jets said he didnt have to? 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I completely understand why they didn't want to play him behind a garbage team that was mailing it in.  

:Ron Howard voice:

What JoJo didn't realize was that the 2017 New York Jets are a garbage team that's already mailing it in.

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

**** yeah baby!!!!

McCown looking better than Petty and Hackenberg at Jets’ OTAs

Michael David Smith,ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports 32 minutes ago 

The Jets are giving all three of the quarterbacks on their roster a chance to win the starting job, but Josh McCown appears to be a step ahead of Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg.

McCown took the first snaps in the Organized Team Activities that were open to the media, and according to Connor Hughes of NJ.com, McCown is looking like far and away the best quarterback on the practice field.

The Jets signed McCown this year with the idea that he could start if needed and could also help mentor Petty, a 2015 fourth-round pick, and Hackenberg, a 2016 second-round pick. All three of them are likely to make the 53-man roster, but it remains to be seen what order they’ll be in on the Week One depth chart.

McCown, who turns 38 on July 4, appears to have the edge over both of the youngsters. If Petty or Hackenberg can make it a close call, they might get the nod because the Jets would rather groom a young quarterback. At the moment, however, it doesn’t sound like the competition is particularly close.

Far and away the best QB. Ouch!! Hopefully things change in preseason. That's me being optimistic. 

20 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Far and away the best QB. Ouch!! Hopefully things change in preseason. That's me being optimistic. 

I say this only to temper the over-reactions, but Connor Hughes said this via twitter and it seems like anyone and their brother is just repeating it... there doesn't seem to be much in the way of substantiative witnesses. I think it's just a beat guy throwing out a reaction, for reaction.

54 minutes ago, JiF said:

The gap between Mccown/Fitz to Geno/Petty/Hack is massive.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The gap between Mccown/Fitz to Geno/Petty/Hack is massive.

Not really.  More like pubic hair gaps.  But that's besides the point.  The issue is they're making the same mistake all over again when the "gap" is meaningless.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Not really.  More like pubic hair gaps.  But that's besides the point.  The issue is they're making the same mistake all over again when the "gap" is meaningless.

Were talking at least a competitive effort at the positon vs guys who clearly can't play. Fitz had that meltdown against KC but at least you'd for the most part see an almost functional offense. Mccown same deal. Geno, Petty and Hackenberg are not NFL starting QB's and there's no way any coach is going to put that on the field.

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I say this only to temper the over-reactions, but Connor Hughes said this via twitter and it seems like anyone and their brother is just repeating it... there doesn't seem to be much in the way of substantiative witnesses. I think it's just a beat guy throwing out a reaction, for reaction.

I wonder if Connor Hughes reported that Hackenberg was the second coming in OTA that you'd feel the same about his credentials. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

He did not have to beat out the worst QB's in the NFL.  They were all injured.  He still did not play.

Just now, bitonti said:

I wonder if Connor Hughes reported that Hackenberg was the second coming in OTA that you'd feel the same about his credentials. 

Well, he did report that Hack made an impressive comeback in the second half of practice. So there is that. but people tend to like to ignore that.

2 hours ago, Blaq218 said:
Connor Hughes @Connor_J_Hughes  
Hack has bounced back after a really rough start. Couple nice throws here last two drills #Jets

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Well, he did report that Hack made an impressive comeback in the second half of practice. So there is that. but people tend to like to ignore that.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it doesn't fit the narrative.  

While we're discussing narratives and agendas, I'm not quite sure "impressive comeback in the second half of practice" and "bounced back after a really rough start" or "couple nice throws" are the same thing.

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Were talking at least a competitive effort at the positon vs guys who clearly can't play. Fitz had that meltdown against KC but at least you'd for the most part see an almost functional offense. Mccown same deal. Geno, Petty and Hackenberg are not NFL starting QB's and there's no way any coach is going to put that on the field.

Sans the Bills games, I dont recall seeing a functional offense at all last season with or without Fitz.  Fitz was ******* disaster, missing WR's all over the field. There was zero drop off from Fitz to Geno.  And while Petty was awful, the drop off once again wasnt "massive".  Especially when you're considering the 11 years of experience differential.  

They're all terrible.  And when you're terrible, like worst in the league terrible, there isnt a difference.  Sure if you really want to split pubic hairs to make a claim, you're safe saying McCown and Fitz are marginally "better".  Like I said, the issue is that marginally "better" is meaningless because it's actually more damaging in the long run.

Just now, JiF said:

Sans the Bills games, I dont recall seeing a functional offense at all last season with or without Fitz.  Fitz was ******* disaster, missing WR's all over the field. There was zero drop off from Fitz to Geno.  And while Petty was awful, the drop off once again wasnt "massive".  Especially when you're considering the 11 years of experience differential.  

They're all terrible.  And when you're terrible, like worst in the league terrible, there isnt a difference.  Sure if you really want to split pubic hairs to make a claim, you're safe saying McCown and Fitz are marginally "better".  Like I said, the issue is that marginally "better" is meaningless because it's actually more damaging in the long run.

Geno, Petty and most likely Hack still havent figured out presnap protections. It's the biggest reason why they dont play. 

Just now, Matt39 said:

Geno, Petty and most likely Hack still havent figured out presnap protections. It's the biggest reason why they dont play. 

Neither have Fitz or McCown.  It's one of the biggest reason they're terrible, one read QB's and get injured all the time. 

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

While we're discussing narratives and agendas, I'm not quite sure "impressive comeback in the second half of practice" and "bounced back after a really rough start" or "couple nice throws" are the same thing.

Tit for tat. I don't get excited about anything in OTA's, too far in either direction. It is ridiculous, quite honestly. I take nothing from it. But is is comical to see people's reactions.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Now we are analyzing players by "most likely" haven't figured things out. All great stuff.

He took too many sacks in college, he took a bunch in the preseason and he currently sits behind Mccown and Petty. I'd say its a qualified assumption.

37 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Funny you should mention this--I'm actually in the process of developing a proprietary analytic that will allow us to properly judge the veracity of each beat writer's tweets. You input the tweet, and the system assesses it against a matrix of known information about the writer, including, but not limited to:

• Anti-Jets Bias
  • Physical Appearance
  • Woman
  • Wrote A Positive Article On Belichick Once
  • Skips Leg Day
  • Mockable Name
  • Lmao Does This Guy Even Watch Football

I call it the Media Evaluation Heuristic Tracking All Bias Over Time, or MEHTA-BOT for short. Should be ready for training camp.

Kimberley A. Martin‏ @KMart_LI  

Jets announce they've signed WR Chris Harper and waived TE Braedon Bowman...

I noticed Bowman walking inside w/ head trainer John Mellody during practice, but couldn't tell what was wrong from far away

Connor Hughes‏ @Connor_J_Hughes  

Todd Bowles doesn’t know when Kelvin Beachum will practice fully. Still his knee keeping him out. Trainers are taking it slow with him #jets

Chad Hansen injured his hamstring. ArDarius Stewart hurt his thumb. Neither practiced #Jets

Todd Bowles on why WR Eric Decker wasn’t here at #Jets OTAs: “It’s voluntary”

Bowles said Hack has come along “pretty good” through four OTA practices

Archived