Costello: The NFL is viciously roasting the Jets, who have "no plan."

T0mShane

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Yeah, I think if we were able to keep Marshall and Decker, it would have only benefited Hacken and Petty for this year. But clearly the Jets (whether its Woody or Mac) are now gunning for a quarterback in the draft next year. Cant say I can really argue the point. But developing either of our young quarterbacks this year is gonna take a miracle with this roster.

The timing suggests our two young QBs still look so far away that they're not passing up on a QB next year no matter what (nor should they, even if one of them makes a good leap forward in '17). To my thinking anyway, that was the #1 reason to hang onto Decker, who was still the team's best WR the day they cut him. Petty/Hackenberg looked so horrible already that there wasn't much point.

The same rationalization would be if they really think he'd still be one of the top 3 WRs on the team in 2018-2019, then he would help with whomever they drafted next year as well. Problem is he's too unreliable from a health standpoint, and I can't believe the Jets' "brain" trust has already forgotten he held out of voluntary practices in protest over a player who wasn't on the team. With so many young WRs they like on the roster, the reality is they can't keep them all anyway; not unless they want to roster at least 7 of them. As a bonus, they may lose another game or two by young WRs running the wrong routes, resulting in several more lost possessions (i.e. help us get a better draft pick).

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The timing suggests our two young QBs still look so far away that they're not passing up on a QB next year no matter what (nor should they, even if one of them makes a good leap forward in '17). To my thinking anyway, that was the #1 reason to hang onto Decker, who was still the team's best WR the day they cut him. Petty/Hackenberg looked so horrible already that there wasn't much point.

The same rationalization would be if they really think he'd still be one of the top 3 WRs on the team in 2018-2019, then he would help with whomever they drafted next year as well. Problem is he's too unreliable from a health standpoint, and I can't believe the Jets' "brain" trust has already forgotten he held out of voluntary practices in protest over a player who wasn't on the team. With so many young WRs they like on the roster, the reality is they can't keep them all anyway; not unless they want to roster at least 7 of them. As a bonus, they may lose another game or two by young WRs running the wrong routes, resulting in several more lost possessions (i.e. help us get a better draft pick).

I think from the reports, Hacken and Petty look exactly how expected them to, Petty as backup material, Hacken someone who shows flashes but nothing close enough to forgo drafting what people are calling some of the best prospects they've seen in awhile. 

Woody isn't playing games anymore with the quarterback position. He tried for years to compensate for the fact we had some of the worst QB play in the league for years, with coaches designed to play D and run the ball. He just 12 million Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

He's not putting his eggs in the Hackenberg basket regardless of improved footwork this offseason. So, he pulled the plug. Good, at least its not more of the same thinking from him. 

Hackenberg should start 10+ games thos year. Get his experience and chances are 99% that he won't show enough to lock down himself as the franchise guy, nor will win enough games to knock out of the Darnold/Rosen/Allen sweepstakes. And thats ok. If he gets better the year after he can become a tradable commodity. 

Win-win.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

With Decker it's not so much just helping the quarterback as it is maintaining some kind of baseline talent level on the team so that anybody can develop. Bottoming out is a real risky proposition. The Colts only did it one year and it got them the quarterback but now they can't get a team together around him fast enough. Worse and more likely is turning into the Browns and ending up in this quagmire of chronic personnel deficiency for god knows how long.

On 6/8/2017 at 2:15 PM, #27TheDominator said:

They didn't screw the pooch until week 3. 

Missed Extra point, blew lead late in 4th, Revis got SMOKED all day long, Marshall drops pass at mid-field on final drive right before Fitz INT.  Pooch screwed.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Missed Extra point, blew lead late in 4th, Revis got SMOKED all day long, Marshall drops pass at mid-field on final drive right before Fitz INT.  Pooch screwed.

Pooch is like, "can you find another pooch to screw? Please! I'm worn out from all this pooch screwin.."

On 6/9/2017 at 8:27 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Mac tried to re-sign/extend both Clady and Marshall and seemed perfectly content to hang onto Harris and Decker until Woody stepped in (or so the story goes).

But Sperm we are going with a "youth movement"

Did Steve Smith sign the multi-million contract he offered him come out of retirement?

22 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

With Decker it's not so much just helping the quarterback as it is maintaining some kind of baseline talent level on the team so that anybody can develop. 

Exactly.  If the Petty/Hack-lovers are right and these guys actually do have potential they kinda need someone good to throw to

After realizing that the last franchise QB drafted by the Jets was on November 28, 1964, a new deal (also called a plan) was created, a Jets aide* to the adviser to the assistant to the GM pounded the table and said;

"Throughout JetNation men and women, forgotten in the philosophy of building of an NFL football team, look to us here at One Jets drive for guidance and for more equitable opportunity to share in the distribution of NFL talent, specifically franchise QB... I pledge us to a new deal for all Jets and fans everywhere. This is more than a political campaign. It is a call to arms.  We must tank the season"

The Jets have a plan to grab a potential franchise QB in the draft next year and they are executing on that plan but are not allowed to tell anyone since it is "bad form" to tank the season, they have to keep up appearances,  you know...  (so they bring back the circus as a diversion knowing the NY media will eat it up)

This could have been the plan all along, it does explain the focus on the later rounds of the draft and the "tini" LB, "project" QB, SS, FS in the top two rounds of consecutive drafts 

*the key for the Jets will be to promote this aide so he/she does not quit and lead another team to multiple Super Bowls

I loved nnamed source the worse roster in the luage by an unnamed source. Man up and stand by your stament until then it is smoke on the water they are rebuilding which is what most fans have wanted and now they are getting roasted for getting rid of two older players... As a fan I think those two older players deserve a chance to play for a championship esp Harris, why not write that?

This "Jets have no plan" stuff is pure bunk.  Let's remember that Bill Belichick wasn't thought of very highly during his first season in New England:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/01/28/bill-belichick-got-off-rocky-start-with-patriots/EuOKntLzCaZVJZPuceDe2L/story.html

Here’s how one Boston columnist (OK, it was me) reviewed the Cleveland debacle: “It’s been 10 painful weeks and there is nothing left to say other than the once-unthinkable refrain: ‘Bring back Pete Carroll.’ . . . The wreck of the SS Robert Kraft washed up on the shores of Lake Erie yesterday and it was an ugly sight. This must be the bottom. Your Super Bowl team of 1996 officially plunged to the nadir, losing to a second-year team that had dropped seven straight games and hadn’t scored a touchdown since Oct. 15 . . . We are back to the days of Clive Rush and Rod Rust. The Patriots have lost 14 of their last 18 football games. Bill Belichick was in charge of bringing respectability back to New England football, but right now fans would settle for a little dignity, which was in short supply on Bloody Sunday in Ohio.’’

Three weeks later, after the Patriots beat a bad Chiefs team on “Monday Night Football,” I wrote, “It was depressing to see how far the Patriots have fallen and to know that all of America was in on the joke. Those Monday Night Tuna Bowls with the Jets seem so far away . . . Patriot fans have proven to be a patient lot this year. The anger and outrage fostered by the Pete Carroll era have given way to benign acceptance of a losing team under Belichick . . . Last night the whole country saw how things have deteriorated, and it may be a long time before the people from ‘Monday Night Football’ return.’’

53 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'll take whoever emerges as the best QB (Darnold, Allen, Rosen) and 80 mil in cap room all day long. And twice on Sundays, Angelo? Yep. TWICE on Sundays..

Can I get a new GM and Head Coach along with that?

5 hours ago, thadude said:

Can I get a new GM and Head Coach along with that?

Unless Mac agrees to hand over the reigns on drafting players to a VP of personnel type (which i doubt he would) then i'm leaning towards this as well. Truthfully he hasn't been the worst individual to have in that spot, and there's some mitigating factors that forced his hand... but the lack of success we've had drafting is a death-kneel. With the stakes being as high as they come in 2018, it needs to be a home run. Has to be. 

Really just a big fan of all the yokels who lectured us about having to win useless December games when you're 12 games in and the season is over anyways, thus killing a high draft pick because you can't root against the Jets and the young guys needed to learn how to win etc...are now lecturing us about how not only is it totally cool to tank an entire season before it even starts, but it's actually a brilliant plan. 

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Really just a big fan of all the yokels who lectured us about having to win useless December games when you're 12 games in and the season is over anyways, thus killing a high draft pick because you can't root against the Jets and the young guys needed to learn how to win etc...are now lecturing us about how not only is it totally cool to tank an entire season before it even starts, but it's actually a brilliant plan. 

Also worth pointing out that the fanbase that wanted to tar and feather John Idzik because he didn't even try to make the team competitive thinks we're on the right track now that Maccagnan is doing the same thing.

21 hours ago, Paradis said:

Unless Mac agrees to hand over the reigns on drafting players to a VP of personnel type (which i doubt he would) then i'm leaning towards this as well. Truthfully he hasn't been the worst individual to have in that spot, and there's some mitigating factors that forced his hand... but the lack of success we've had drafting is a death-kneel. With the stakes being as high as they come in 2018, it needs to be a home run. Has to be. 

Look at Macagnan's drafts.  They are laughable 

21 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Also worth pointing out that the fanbase that wanted to tar and feather John Idzik because he didn't even try to make the team competitive thinks we're on the right track now that Maccagnan is doing the same thing.

Idzik had jets fans defending until we were 1-6 in 2014.  I'm hoping we have a similar start so the real rebuild can start and Mac and Bowles both get fired mid-season

Promises, promises.. does anyone actually believe the Jets will execute on thsi plan and end up with the first pick in a (supposedly) quarterback rich draft? And even if they do, the consensus #1 will stay in school to avoid us just like Manning did. 

22 hours ago, dbatesman said:

The ilk is still defending idzik? lol , Almost as bad as the penningtologists 

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Local Man Awakens From Medically Induced Coma, Immediately Misses Point

You and tom sham have kinda blended together and he can't make  5 posts about mcGack without some snarky Idzik comment

6 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

How? He's apparently LOADING up the Jags w/young premiere talent as the Assistant TO the GM (Or is Assistant GM?)

Really?  You want to compare the draft the Jags had with Fournette and Cam Robinson to us reaching for two Eric Smiths in rounds 1-2?

52 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

How? He's apparently LOADING up the Jags w/young premiere talent as the Assistant TO the GM (Or is Assistant GM?)

Idzik was a high-ranking member of personnel departments with the Buccaneers when they built their Super Bowl roster, then with the Cardinals when they built their Super Bowl roster, then again with the Seahawks when they built their Super Bowl roster. The Jaguars have operated like a professional football front office since he took a job there and have put together two very good offseasons. Everywhere he's gone, success has coincidentally followed. He takes the Jets job, gets told from day one he has to keep a coach who is currently an absolute pariah in league circles, inherits a scouting staff that once thought Shonn Greene was a first rounder, wisely elects to start over, and gets his legs cut out from under him because of a sh*tty draft class that included six picks made in the fifth round or later. 

Archived