Would you rather: (2018 QB scenario)

Lil Woody

QB Scenario 2018 - Would you rather:  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather?: (assumptions needed: 1-Kirk Cousins hits FA, 2-Darnold lives up to hype, and 3-Jets secure #1 overall pick)

• Get Kirk Cousins in FA for 20-25M per year and sell off #1 overall for (3) 1st round picks, (1) 2nd, and (1) 3rd rounder
    • Draft Darnold, stick with the rebuild.

29 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

I'd be very tempted by the picks personally, even though I don't see Cousins as an elite worthy of the money.

Cousins will be like 30, Darnold 21/22 I'll gamble on Darnold a leader of men over a 30 year old good QB who has leadership questions, and big game questions who also just made 50 million in real money the previous 2 years.

I think the only way we move on from Darnold is if Hackenberg turns into a stud.  If Darnold is as good as he's touted to be, or one of the QBs next year clearly shows franchise QB ability, you take him, because that gives you 5 years of an under-paid QB with star potential and that's huge in the NFL.  

The picks are definitely interesting, but I would also like to see how Cousins does this year.  He had:

Pierre Garcon- A very good receiver- more in the mold of Decker than a true No. 1 type, but still very good

DeSean Jackson-  Probably the premier deep threat still in the game

Jordan Reed- One of the best TE/WR combo talents in the game

Jamison Crowder- An extremely underrated talented receiver as well.

You put any of those guys on our team right now, and they would be our No. 1 receiver.  I believe they have Doctson coming back this year, who I was super high on.  However, I would still like to see how to adjust to Garcon and Jackson moving on, because that team was just loaded on receiver talent.  

So wait, a good (if non-elite) QB and a three new first rounders?

Hell yeah I'll take that. That's a no-brainer.

I mean its not enough to have a QB who's proven himself in a WCO, but ALL of those picks? Three first rounders? Seriously?

If you said- Darnold (if he's all that) OR Cousins on franchise QB money without the picks then there's more of a debate and I think I would lean youth. But with the first option we're addressing present and future at once, having our cake and eating it too.

this is a lopsided choice.

With our luck, Kirk becomes a FA but Pats pounce on him after Brady shows clear signs of age. We get the first overall pick and Darnold declares for the draft. However, he wouldn't even be half the prospect everyone thought he would be. We still draft him first overall. He sucks balls. Mac gets fired. New GM goes for a failed competitive rebuild. Then a total tear-down job. Rinse and repeat. 

If "Darnold lives up to hype" then he is a Peyton Manning like prospect. If we are picking #1 Hackenberg probably showed himself to not be a franchise guy.

Even though there is more inherent risk, you take Darnold, period. 

The exception might be to that if it is a situation where the #1 we get still INSURES we get one of the other QBs and we like that guy better maybe you do the trade.

Heres the thing: I think you probably take Darnold even if Hack showed serious signs of being a franchise guy.

How about option #3: take the draft pick haul, don't take Cousins either, and just draft someone else at QB. 

Presumably one of the 1st round picks we get back is some team's 2018 pick, so it's not like we'd be without one after moving ours. What supposedly makes this QB class special isn't just Darnold; it's the depth of strength at the position.

It wasn't said whether the first #1 pick we get back is way down in the bottom of round 1. That changes the value considerably, as that means we may be getting a QB there well into 2nd round value, whose stock is inflated because of the demand at the QB position. It'd could still be a decent haul, but trading down from #1 to roughly #8-12 isn't remotely the same as trading down to #27-ish.

If we wanted to use some of that haul to climb back into the top 8-15-ish range with good QBs on the board, it'd cost the newly-acquired 2019 1st rounder minimum (depending on how much we had to move back up), lessening the net return considerably. We could be spending the better 2 of those 3 first rounders on a QB in the #8-15 range in such a scenario, meaning we're netting a 1st in the 2020 draft, plus very low 2nd and 3rd rounders, to move way down from #1 to #15. That is awful trade value in a draft that may have a few QBs taken in the top 5-10 picks.

So the answer is it depends how many draft slots we lose for our first pick. Often teams get huge hauls and don't even drop way down.

I am not exactly bullish on USC QBs in the first round. Sanchez Leinert Barkley etc. Only Palmer lived up to his draft status and how long ago was that?.

Also, Rudolf or Rosen maybe Falk  could possibly leap frog Darnold.

Lets see what he does next season.

Darnold could  possibly play himself out of the first round but even if he doesnt, picking him with his limited body of work could be a repeat of the Sanchez debacle.

So yeah if Jets wind owning pick #1,  like Sperm Ed said, trade it for a basket of high picks still draft a QB and or give Cousins a shot.

Considering the Jets haven't had a QB worth a damn in decades, and have done a pretty awful job even when people had thought they finally got it together, I say screw it and take both of them.  Then at least there's a chance of at least one of them being watchable without wanting to throw something at your TV.  In the un-Jets-ly scenario where both of them turned out to be well worth the investment, would we really be that heartbroken about it?

I think they're both pretty damn good options. I would just rather we finally draft our own guy and he ends up staying with the team for a long long time leading the way. 

Wouldn't hate Cousins either, he'll be 30 but he would have only started 3 full seasons, so he's still on the upside of his career. 

13 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Cousins will be like 30, Darnold 21/22 I'll gamble on Darnold a leader of men over a 30 year old good QB who has leadership questions, and big game questions who also just made 50 million in real money the previous 2 years.

Leader of men? I wish everyone here would stop putting Darnold in Canton before he even plays his second year of college. So far he has been a leader of school boys for all of nine games. Just try and remember some of the college phenoms of the last few years. You remember those guys with the great catchy names like RG3 and Johnny Football.

I think there are very few QBs coming out of college that are sure things.   Manning and Luck probably.  They had the physical skills and the mental skills, plus the work ethic and maturity.

Darnold has some good qualities, but at first glance he may not have the maturity that a Manning had.   

I don't know whether the Jets can get 3 first round picks for the first pick.  Maybe.

2017 is likely another playoff-less year for the Jets.  If Hack is not functional in 2017 and Woody has a choice of a QB who is functional and the opportunity with three first round picks (or maybe 2 with another high one) to find another QB from the pile, I would have to think that Woody takes Cousins and the picks. 

I don't know whether that is in the Jets best long term interests if Darnold is really that good, but as reflected in the preceding posts, it seems to be somewhat of a coin flip.   If the WRs and the defense have developed, Cousins could lead a competitive team in 2018 and fill the seats.   Maybe make the playoffs.  That will be tough for Woody to pass up.  Even in the best case Darnold needs some time to develop (I guess Prescott did not).  

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

i'd rather hackenberg look good so the jets aren't desperate.

That's the dream scenario. But given the OP's proposal, I'll take Darnold...assuming he continues his dominance of College football. While Cousins is a proven NFL QB, it's troubling that the Skins refuse to commit to him. If they don't love him, why should we take him over Darnold? That would be like trading for Rivers when Andrew Luck was available. 

The value of a cheap QB under control for a few years cannot be understated. Look at what the Seahawks were able to do with Wilson playing under a rookie contract. 

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think there are very few QBs coming out of college that are sure things.   Manning and Luck probably.  They had the physical skills and the mental skills, plus the work ethic and maturity.

Darnold has some good qualities, but at first glance he may not have the maturity that a Manning had.   

I don't know whether the Jets can get 3 first round picks for the first pick.  Maybe.

2017 is likely another playoff-less year for the Jets.  If Hack is not functional in 2017 and Woody has a choice of a QB who is functional and the opportunity with three first round picks (or maybe 2 with another high one) to find another QB from the pile, I would have to think that Woody takes Cousins and the picks. 

I don't know whether that is in the Jets best long term interests if Darnold is really that good, but as reflected in the preceding posts, it seems to be somewhat of a coin flip.   If the WRs and the defense have developed, Cousins could lead a competitive team in 2018 and fill the seats.   Maybe make the playoffs.  That will be tough for Woody to pass up.  Even in the best case Darnold needs some time to develop (I guess Prescott did not).  

Andrew Luck took a 2 win team to an 11 win season and the playoffs. Darnold, assuming he continues to develop like most think, can be that type of QB.  Getting Cousins to win now, would look really stupid if Darnold comes out and is just as successful. We are on the cusp of finally landing a true franchise QB and some people (not saying you) want to give that away for a 30 year old QB that his own team doesn't love and some picks???? 

59 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Andrew Luck took a 2 win team to an 11 win season and the playoffs. Darnold, assuming he continues to develop like most think, can be that type of QB.  Getting Cousins to win now, would look really stupid if Darnold comes out and is just as successful. We are on the cusp of finally landing a true franchise QB and some people (not saying you) want to give that away for a 30 year old QB that his own team doesn't love and some picks???? 

For every trade there is a buyer and a seller.

The Jets could look really dumb if another team is willing to give up that much for Darnold, and that proves to be a smart move for the team with Darnold.

The last player the Jets really paid up for was Revis.  Historically, Woody does not like to put that many eggs in one player.   By foregoing that many picks, Woody would basically be paying that price to pick Darnold.

I guess we just have to see how Darnold looks in a year, what the Jets record is     My prediction is that this is somewhat moot.  I think the coaches are too desperate to keep their jobs, and the Jets QBs and offense is basically an unknown for other teams to prepare for.  I don't think the Jets pick in the top 2.  But we shall see.

But if the Jets did have the first pick, at this point I don't know what the right answer is,.

4 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Call me crazy, but I want the Jets franchise QB to be "home grown." It somehow means more (to me) when I can root for a player that the Jets drafted who becomes a successful player.

+ a billion

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Im still not sold on Luck to be honest.  He is a very good QB, but he is not elite and really showing signs of tailing off. Plus he had am arm operation where he still cannot throw. We saw what happened with Chad.

People are seriously voting for Darnold over three first round picks and a starting QB?

That guy is put on a REDICULOUS pedestal around here. I don't care how good his Rose Bowl was he's not worth more than a proven starting QB AND three first rounders.

Extra first round picks y'all. Nobody would choose Darnold over that, that's the kind of ransom teams say they want for a pick when they don't want to lose it- bet your bottom dollar if it that offer was legitimately made any team would do it in a heartbeat.

Archived