Submit your answers to the following...

Pac

These questions pertain to the QB position from now until the end of the draft.  What is your:

• Best case scenario
  • Acceptable scenario
  • Worst case scenario

my answers are

best - Draft Rosen, resign McCown, cut Petty, retain Hack...  Rosen wins starting job

acceptable - overpay for Cousins, cut McCown, retain Hack, cut Petty, draft mid round QB

worst - Cut McCown, sign Bradford, retain Petty and Hack

Best: re-sign Chad Pennington and Mark Sanchez and play them both at the same time in a new formation I invented called “The QB Centipede”

Acceptable: Don’t sign or draft anyone good so you can play Josh McCown until Mark Sanchez turns 38 and can be a real mentor to Hack.

Worst: Drafting someone good. Ugh.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Best: re-sign Chad Pennington and Mark Sanchez and play them both at the same time in a new formation I invented called “The QB Centipede”

Acceptable: Don’t sign or draft anyone good so you can play Josh McCown until Mark Sanchez turns 38 and can be a real mentor to Hack.

Worst: Drafting someone good. Ugh.

That was almost funny...  almost.

Now how about answering for real..  or is it just easier to not take a position that way you can complain no matter what move is made?

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Now how about answering for real..  or is it just easier to not take a position that way you can complain no matter what move is made?

His position, and mine, and that of every single person on earth, is to agree with your ranking. Having a cheap, talented young QB > having an expensive, talented veteran QB > having an expensive, brittle veteran QB. It's great that you keep reaching these thunderingly obvious conclusions, but you really need to stop acting like you're putting one over on the rest of us.

16 minutes ago, Pac said:

It’s not even amusing to attempt hypotheticals with this group because they’re so stupid and risk-averse that they’re going to end up taking the lamest, least-inspiring and mediocre option that presents itself. They’ll wave at Cousins, get rebuffed, then sign Sam Bradford and draft a stiff like Luke Falk in the third round. They suck, Pac, and they’ve shown zero ability to manage the QB position. ZERO. What makes you think they’ll do anything resembling the smart thing now?

16 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

His position, and mine, and that of every single person on earth, is to agree with your ranking. Having a cheap, talented young QB > having an expensive, talented veteran QB > having an expensive, brittle veteran QB. It's great that you keep reaching these thunderingly obvious conclusions, but you really need to stop acting like you're putting one over on the rest of us.

There are plenty who would rather have Cousins than a draft pick, or Arnold over Rosen, or trade for luck etc etc..  

Let's talk about the source of this anger of yours. 

42 minutes ago, Pac said:

These questions pertain to the QB position from now until the end of the draft.  What is your:

• Best case scenario
  • Acceptable scenario
  • Worst case scenario

my answers are

best - Draft Rosen, resign McCown, cut Petty, retain Hack...  Rosen wins starting job

acceptable - overpay for Cousins, cut McCown, retain Hack, cut Petty, draft mid round QB

Best Case:  We draft Baker Mayfield in round one somewhere between picks 5-10.  He starts from day 1.  Hack becomes an effective #2 QB.  Petty holds the fort at #3.

Acceptable Scenario:  We draft someone else (Rosen/Allen/Rudolph/Falk/Whomever).  The someone else starts day 1 OR Hack starts till that someone else is ready to play.

Worst Case A:  We trade 3 #1 picks to get Darnold.  He'll never be worth it and the loss of picks will cripple our future.

Worst Case B:  We give 30 mil/year for 5 Years+ to Kirk Cousins.  He'll never be worth it.

Worst Case C:  We resign McCown to start again and don't draft anyone, i.e. treading water

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s not even amusing to attempt hypotheticals with this group because they’re so stupid and risk-averse that they’re going to end up taking the lamest, least-inspiring and mediocre option that presents itself. They’ll wave at Cousins, get rebuffed, then sign Sam Bradford and draft a stiff like Luke Falk in the third round. They suck, Pac, and they’ve shown zero ability to manage the QB position. ZERO. What makes you think they’ll do anything resembling the smart thing now?

LOL honestly

T0mShane dont sell the bacon he sells the sizzle

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

There are plenty who would rather have Cousins than a draft pick, or Arnold over Rosen, or trade for luck etc etc..  

I thought you were speaking in generalities. If you mean Rosen specifically over Darnold/Mayfield/Allen or Cousins over Luck, that's an entirely different question.

I don't have anger. I have hate.

52 minutes ago, Pac said:

• Best case scenario
  • Acceptable scenario
  • Worst case scenario

my answers are

Hack has as much business being on an NFL roster as Calvin Pryor.

How is that not self evident by now?

Other teams have shown interest in trading for Petty.  Petty could be a long-term NFL backup.

Other teams are laughing at the Jets for drafting Hack.  Hack will be unemployed next September. 

You post a stupid thread.  You get called out on it. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t like to see you taking this much heat, Pac. Makes me uncomfortable.

I've gotten myself into another fine mess.

Luckily I'm at the gym working off the stress. 

Thanks for your concern.

imo there are way more than 3 options for the jets. 

the best is to get one of the top flight qb's in the draft, keep mccown (or another placeholder) and hack,

a middling option is to sign ELIte, draft a qb but not the top 2 or 3, keep hack

the worst is to think hack or petty will be ready next season and not draft a top flight qb.

of course this all presupposes that bowles and mac are still around for next season.

best- somehow someway petty shows to be brilliant in the last 3 games. draft stidham. petty number 1 stidham number 2, hack gets his third redshirt season haha

acceptable- draft a qb (rosen, darnold, stidham, mayfield, jackson) dont care just pick one. petty starts  drafted qb number 2.

worst- bradford or mccown 

12 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

best- somehow someway petty shows to be brilliant in the last 3 games. draft stidham. petty number 1 stidham number 2, hack gets his third redshirt season haha

acceptable- draft a qb (rosen, darnold, stidham, mayfield, jackson) dont care just pick one. petty starts  drafted qb number 2.

worst- bradford or mccown 

If Petty were to get in the last three games and were to light it up IMO Bowels should be fired...

For Bowles' sake he better hope Petty really does suck!

1 hour ago, Pac said:

• Best case scenario
  • Acceptable scenario
  • Worst case scenario

my answers are

Ask this the day after the reg season ends. If the jets decide to win meaningless games, we probably are not drafting a top qb unless we trade away rest of our future top picks. This can’t be answered now.

52 minutes ago, Pac said:

These are not smart people.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

• Best case scenario
  • Acceptable scenario
  • Worst case scenario

my answers are

Best case would be to sign cousins because to get Rosen you'll have to give up a boat load of picks.. Cousins would just cost money and we will be way under the cap heading into next year. 

Plus we know, or at least intelligent people know, that cousins is a legit franchise QB and still only 29. Rosen could be better, could be the same, could be worse. If we had the top pick in the draft, I'd prefer to draft Darnold or Rosen. But that's not how things played out. 

I don't think its hate or anger when it comes to the Jets and their "strategy". Its resignation. How can you watch a franchise under different leadership make the same mistakes over and over again without becoming jaded? How can you watch them continually kick themselves in the ass(not an easy thing to do btw) and not become numb to it anymore? I have been a Jet Fan since their inception. I have watched numerous regime's screw up in new and inventive ways from the beginning. The reason why I am so cynical when it comes to their front office operation comes from this. Time and time again I have heard the cliches: "Change the culture of losing" and so many other's I have forgotten them only to watch them make the same mistakes over and over again. That is what drives the guys you are chastising my friend.

What I want to happen this offseason:

DRAFT BAKER MAYFIELD. DRAFT SKILL PLAYERS IN THE SECOND ROUND(RB WR OR TE). Use the remaining picks and FA to rebuild the OL and secondary. If they have to sign a vet to play for the first part of next year OR until Mayfield is ready do it. He ll I might even be okay with re-signing McCown to play that part if they he doesn't want an all-world contract. Every great team I have witnessed over the years has had players GROW together and gel into a cohesive unit. They supplement them with FA pick-ups but the core is drafted. This what the Jets must do in order to break the malaise that this franchise is mired in. Will Macchole do that? I'm not confident he will. Can Bowles develop a young QB? So far I'm not confident in that either. So that is the reality we face here. All the snarky comebacks and arguing won't change that. Until its accepted you will get the answers you are getting in response to posts like this.

'

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

What machines? Hitting that cardio? Some lat work to get that nice V shape in the winter cardigan?

No, legs, always legs.

There are more brawny guys with v shapes and chicken legs than any other portion of the work out population.

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Best: we draft/sign someone really good

adequate: we draft/sign someone that’s is just ok 

worst: we draft/sign someone really bad

Great thread Pac!!!

Expert analysis as always.

Seems to me the biggest whiners don't have any answers or even suggestions. They just want to keep crying.

Keep fighting the good fight Jiffy!

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Expert analysis as always.

Seems to me the biggest whiners don't have any answers or even suggestions. They just want to keep crying.

Keep fighting the good fight Jiffy!

I’m sorry, what did my post lack, specifically? 

Objective reality: Some combination of McCown, Bradford, Hackenberg, and a mid round draft pick who will never get a chance to start.

Stuff we’d like to pretend might happen to make that objective reality seem like a temporary condition: Jets draft super-QB and all of a sudden every other part falls into place, thus retroactively justifying every bit of Maccagnan hackery.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Best Case:  We draft Baker Mayfield in round one somewhere between picks 5-10.  He starts from day 1.  Hack becomes an effective #2 QB.  Petty holds the fort at #3.

Acceptable Scenario:  We draft someone else (Rosen/Allen/Rudolph/Falk/Whomever).  The someone else starts day 1 OR Hack starts till that someone else is ready to play.

Worst Case A:  We trade 3 #1 picks to get Darnold.  He'll never be worth it and the loss of picks will cripple our future.

Worst Case B:  We give 30 mil/year for 5 Years+ to Kirk Cousins.  He'll never be worth it.

Worst Case C:  We resign McCown to start again and don't draft anyone, i.e. treading water

Your best case would never happen.  No NFL team would have a QB room with a combined 3 1/2 games of regular season experience. 

Archived