Who is more responsible for the Jets overachieving this year?

UnitedWhofans

Responsibility  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who is more responsible for the Jets overachieving this year?

• Todd Bowles
    • MIke Maccagnan

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Who brought them in?

And when you really think about it, Woody Johnson brought both of them in. Obviously he is the one all fans should be praising for overachieving some predictions. We might not get so fortunate in 2018, with him totally out of the picture.

Good call.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Who set that bar?  You? The Media?  The only bar for a season should be to win the super bowl.  If you aren't going to at least attempt that, then the Browns are where you want to be.  Anybody that goes into a season with the bar being - don't be the worst team deserves to be fired instantly.  

I feel sorry for you.  Taking your cues and opinions from the media must be so sad.

Again, I cede to people who know the sport. If I want to learn about politics, I don't go to a ballet dancer for help.

Internally I agree with you. The expection inside should be to win the Super Bowl and whoever doesn't have that should be let go.

Externally, I can have whatever expectation I want

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

And when you really think about it, Woody Johnson brought both of them in. Obviously he is the one all fans should be praising for overachieving some predictions. We might not get so fortunate in 2018, with him totally out of the picture.

Good call.

Only because he got Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf to help. He ceded to people who knew football! 

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Compared to the Browns? **** yea

And we are doubly lucky to have you point this out. Surprised you don't do it more often, really.

There are only 31 NFL fan bases that get to say this.

We're not the Browns!! We're not the Browns!!

Good call. We are lucky and blessed.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Unfortunately the rules will always change throughout time as the game evolves.  The rules in the 80s were different than the 70s. 

Jerry Jones was his main guy and Dallas hasn't even reached a champ game in his years as commish. 

we know he's close w/ Kraft, he did suspend Brady w/ no real evidence.

I hate Thursday Night games, everyone does except the owners who have made more $ b/c of it.  he and the owners can be blamed for that greed.

In every era we hear complaints about how the game isn't as good as it once was.  Maybe that is for real this time but unfortunately they had to try to make the game safer b/c of lawsuits from former players.  I don't believe they care about player safety at all but they care about losing money in lawsuits so they have to make it look like they care w/ rules changes.

I really don’t understand the point of you having written any of this.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And we are doubly lucky to have you point this out. Surprised you don't do it more often, really.

There are only 31 NFL fan bases that get to say this.

We're not the Browns!! We're not the Browns!!

Good call. We are lucky and blessed.

There's nothing quite like the pride one takes in not being the worst.

Even of that "worst" is one QB away from being light years ahead of us.  And guess what they'll be in position to do in just a few months???

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

There's nothing quite like the pride one takes in not being the worst.

Even of that "worst" is one QB away from being light years ahead of us.  And guess what they'll be in position to do in just a few months???

Their defense could not hold a 21-7 lead against a Packers team without Aaron Rodgers

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I understand that. but for that first year, you dont really want to play him, unless he's one of the top plug and play QBs

If we aren't acquiring a top plug and play QB then we aren't trying. This has been our problem forever. Try to just get by with the "clever" move and taking a QB that maybe we can develop. We take too many half-measures at the most important position in all of sports. 

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The question wasn't "why did the Jets suck and lose yesterday." It was "why have they overachieved relative to expectations this season." Clearly the offense this year has been far better than anyone anticipated and Josh McCown, a veteran journeyman with a horrible record as a starter, has played well under Morton. 

This team has a TON of problems, Morton doesn't appear to be one of them. 

The answer is: they haven't.  I fully expected them to win 4-6 games this year.  They are right on track.  The reason they have "overachieved relative to expectations" is because you allow your expectations to be set by the media and believed they were actually planning to tank because that was the only rational explanation for some of the moves made this offseason.  

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

The answer is: they haven't.  I fully expected them to win 4-6 games this year.  They are right on track.  The reason they have "overachieved relative to expectations" is because you allow your expectations to be set by the media and believed they were actually planning to tank because that was the only rational explanation for some of the moves made this offseason.  

Set by the people who are more knowledgable about the subject than you or I am

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I thought four wins was in the cards, and I definitely thought the "NFL insiders" who claimed we had the "worst roster in 20 years of evaluation" were buffoons. But based on my own judgments the team has performed better than I ever expected, especially on offense. As bad as this team has looked in some games (Raiders, Broncos, Bucs) the reality is we're still a couple of blown 4th quarter leads from being a playoff team which is pretty crazy given the lack of name talent on the roster. I think Morton deserves a lot of credit. He has a patchwork offensive line, no name skill guys and a QB that was, what, 2-18 in his last 20 starts before coming here? Admittedly the standards for offense are low around here because we've probably only had a "good" offense for 2 of the last 20+ years, but this years O was honestly pretty entertaining.  

In what way could anyone say that Bowles overachieved?

good game plans, particularly on defense? 

Smart challenges?

good time management?

effective discipline?

can you tell me how any of these apply to Bowles ?

macc has put together some nice role players. We lack the star power. We lack the qb, beast RB, better C, pass rusher

57 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I thought four wins was in the cards, and I definitely thought the "NFL insiders" who claimed we had the "worst roster in 20 years of evaluation" were buffoons. But based on my own judgments the team has performed better than I ever expected, especially on offense. As bad as this team has looked in some games (Raiders, Broncos, Bucs) the reality is we're still a couple of blown 4th quarter leads from being a playoff team which is pretty crazy given the lack of name talent on the roster. I think Morton deserves a lot of credit. He has a patchwork offensive line, no name skill guys and a QB that was, what, 2-18 in his last 20 starts before coming here? Admittedly the standards for offense are low around here because we've probably only had a "good" offense for 2 of the last 20+ years, but this years O was honestly pretty entertaining.  

Reality is the offense will go back to outright terrible with Petty playing QB. The defense has been putrid all season. Going 5-11 is hardly overachieving. Winning 2 games is harder to do than winning 5 is anyways. The roster is a disaster right now with zero building block type of players at QB, edge, CB, LT.

21 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Reality is the offense will go back to outright terrible with Petty playing QB. The defense has been putrid all season. Going 5-11 is hardly overachieving. Winning 2 games is harder to do than winning 5 is anyways. The roster is a disaster right now with zero building block type of players at QB, edge, CB, LT.

The Jets completely revamped their secondary for the 2nd time under Big Mac and they are 2nd to last in passing TDs, QBs have a rating of 90+ facing the Jets and are middle of the pack to last in every other measurable passing D category.  Plus, no improvements from a sack perspective.

Even if the offense goes backward, it’s still better than the D.

I vote (C) - Low expectations. 

The Jets are below .500... What's this over achieving stuff you speak of? Are we stomping our feet for beating the Browns? Getting rid of half the board's savior in Fitztragic was obvious addition through subtraction as a 38 year old journeyman is well was making a decent showing in his place. Both are on thin ice and Coffee in Hand's only benefit of doubt is that he didn't choose his own coach. As for coach Bowles who know's. He seemed pissed in the post game hopefully it's no more Mr Nice Guy time, but I don't know. They're in year three, and nothing seems to have been built systems, culture, ect. Young talent is questionable obviously Coffee in Hand has a big part of that too aside from wr R.A. is their any real talent that he found and wasn't the best player that fell to him?

I wouldn't cry if both were let go. However, the new freaking GM picks his own coach.

People who thought this was the worst team in the league. We really haven't overachieved. McCown played better than expected but otherwise they have done about as well as should have been expected. Some improvement in some areas, some areas still need improvement. Coaching is still pretty bad. Morton overall is pretty good but Bowles and the rest are definitely not. 

4 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

People who thought this was the worst team in the league. We really haven't overachieved. McCown played better than expected but otherwise they have done about as well as should have been expected. Some improvement in some areas, some areas still need improvement. Coaching is still pretty bad. Morton overall is pretty good but Bowles and the rest are definitely not. 

You would think we went 8-8 like we did in 2013.  We are going 5-11 if that’s supposed to be good for the Jets wow, just wow

6 hours ago, JiF said:

The Jets completely revamped their secondary for the 2nd time under Big Mac and they are 2nd to last in passing TDs, QBs have a rating of 90+ facing the Jets and are middle of the pack to last in every other measurable passing D category.  Plus, no improvements from a sack perspective.

Even if the offense goes backward, it’s still better than the D.

Hahahahahagahaha 

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Yep.

The 2-win predictions were based upon Petty/Hackenberg starting all year, either due to tossing one out there no matter what, and/or because back then it was expected that McCown would be injured or benched before October.

Give the Jets that handicap, plus a bunch of injuries early on, and there's your ~2-4 win season. Surely even Cleveland could have notched an extra few wins if they went with Josh McCown instead of throwing a struggling Kizer out there game after game (and the reverse if we'd started one of our Kizers every game this year instead of McCown). But if they'd signed/started McCown up till now, that wouldn't therefore make the rest of their roster any better.

Even winning games like vs KC took a near-impossible series of penalties inside their 10 as the game was coming to a close. Regardless, instead of 4 min to get into FG range they were in TD-only mode because their NT jumped over our center after the ball was snapped. It's a good rule, but it's not the same type of penalty as a CB grabbing a receiver's jersey because he got beat or a tackle holding to stop his QB from getting flattened. It's a penalty in the interest of safety not a regular game-play penalty.

Hey, KC committed those penalties they got flagged for (and the last one from Peters was basically a freebie because they were already flagged on the play and there wasn't any more free yardage to give us). But it was their unforced screwups more than our beating them to force a penalty. Even the one where they held ASJ on 3rd down was ridiculous; the play was barely underway & there was no reason for him to hold (it looked funny, actually, like a kid hugging a tree). Anyway, KC having a penalty meltdown every time they're about to get the ball back doesn't therefore make us a better team than if they hadn't. 

Brian Costello on the radio said the only thing hat is helping Bowles in any way is the preseason expectations. He also, for the first time any media member came out and said “Maybe we were just wrong”.

Well if that’s the case then from now on, every expectation or prediction should include that caveat. Because, and Beningo said this, you have outside broadcasters praising Bowles. You have Manish Mehta saying Bowles should be coach of the year. 

On 12/11/2017 at 4:34 PM, Embrace the Suck said:

I vote (C) - Low expectations. 

The Jets are below .500... What's this over achieving stuff you speak of? Are we stomping our feet for beating the Browns? Getting rid of half the board's savior in Fitztragic was obvious addition through subtraction as a 38 year old journeyman is well was making a decent showing in his place. Both are on thin ice and Coffee in Hand's only benefit of doubt is that he didn't choose his own coach. As for coach Bowles who know's. He seemed pissed in the post game hopefully it's no more Mr Nice Guy time, but I don't know. They're in year three, and nothing seems to have been built systems, culture, ect. Young talent is questionable obviously Coffee in Hand has a big part of that too aside from wr R.A. is their any real talent that he found and wasn't the best player that fell to him?

I wouldn't cry if both were let go. However, the new freaking GM picks his own coach.

I vote (D) - 5 wins is not overachieving you psychos.

Archived