Playoff team next year?

Maxman

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What do you think this year was? We gutted all our high priced vets. Kept all our draft picks. Traded for an extra 2nd.  Have tons of cap space heading into next year. 

You want to be the Browns and rebuild for a decade and end up with Deshone Kizer as our QB? 

You can’t rebuild with a 38 yo QB.  Is our QB quandary any closer to getting resolved now than it was in May?  

And if you want to classify this season as rebuilding, what positions have we filled long term this season?

Not At QB.  LT,  Pass rusher, #1CB, defensive playmaker?  None to be found.

Anderson is about the only player on this roster that has taken the next step and out performed expectations.  So with this is mind, we sacrificed finding out what we had in Petty and Hack, thus preventing ourselves from getting in position to draft Darnold or Rosen so we could watch Anderson catch 52 balls and 7 TDS.  

Hate to break it to you, but the Pats could bring in someone out of Walmart that could duplicate these numbers, in any season.

If you don’t have a QB, you basically doing what the Jets did last week in Denver.  Just going through the motions and making billionaires richer and fans one year older and more frustrated.

1 minute ago, faba said:

We have lots of cap room to spend but have to make good drafts to be a good team period

What free agents are out there that is going to improve this team enough to win 5 additional games next year?

As depressing as this sounds, a majority of our cap space is going to be spent bringing back the same players that won 5 games this year.  

Ealy, ASJ, Claiborne, Enunwa, and basically every back up on the team.  

On the free agent market, there are just not a lot that stands out and there are plenty of teams with plenty of money to spend.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am in the minority on that but that came from the O\C and I think it was the right thing to do. Petty was going to get hurt otherwise.

Regroup and give Petty a fresh start on Sunday.

1) The OC didn't do it on an island without the HC's order or at least approval.

2) I humbly disagree.  Giving up a chance to break a shutout because you are afraid of an injury (this isn't week 17 when you are already locked into a playoff seed) is anathema to what a rebuilding year should be about.  Let the team run some 3-step drops and see what happens.  Giving up before the half with more than enough time to mount a drive?  Zero sense to me.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Darnold-Rosen-Mayfield - no shot unless we both lose out and trade up

Cousins - pass, way overrated and wants too much money

Bradford - done

Lamar Jackson - yes please

agree we likely will not get darnold or rosen, mayfield will be within reach I believe

cousins- agree

bradford- agree, also too much injury risk

jackson- not sold on him, esp in first round. maybe with our second 2nd round pick if he is still there

would add Bridgewater as a possibilty if available- he is intriguing, has experience, is younger than petty. Would still draft a qb though. Not sold on teddy's arm strength.

would also consider later round fliers on luke falk and/or riley ferguson from memphis. 

36 minutes ago, Pcola said:

What free agents are out there that is going to improve this team enough to win 5 additional games next year?

As depressing as this sounds, a majority of our cap space is going to be spent bringing back the same players that won 5 games this year.  

Ealy, ASJ, Claiborne, Enunwa, and basically every back up on the team.  

On the free agent market, there are just not a lot that stands out and there are plenty of teams with plenty of money to spend.

Let's start with some basic options. 

CAR has both starting Guards hitting FA.   Trai Turner and Andrew Norwell.  Both are considered very solid vets.  I would take either one.  Instant upgrade and there are a few other Guards out there (Gabe Jackson) who would also help immediately.  At least three solid CBs (Trumaine Johnson, Malcolm Butler, Patrick Robinson) hit the market, any of which would be significantly helpful.  There are a ton of WRs hitting the market like every year and definitely one could be added to upgrade our unit although I don't think Kearse, Enunwa and Anderson are horrible but I do think another #1/#2 option would help a lot.  

There are plenty of players who would upgrade our team who will be available.  Yes, there are a number of teams with money to spend and some of those players won't ultimately hit the market, but I expect we should see at least 2-3 significant signings that upgrade the roster.  We have a ton of cap room and we're not going to spend all that much bringing back the guys you mentioned.  And of them, Claiborne is really the only one I'd say we have to keep because we have nothing else at that position right now.

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

Let's start with some basic options. 

CAR has both starting Guards hitting FA.   Trai Turner and Andrew Norwell.  Both are considered very solid vets.  I would take either one.  Instant upgrade and there are a few other Guards out there (Gabe Jackson) who would also help immediately.  At least three solid CBs (Trumaine Johnson, Malcolm Butler, Patrick Robinson) hit the market, any of which would be significantly helpful.  There are a ton of WRs hitting the market like every year and definitely one could be added to upgrade our unit although I don't think Kearse, Enunwa and Anderson are horrible but I do think another #1/#2 option would help a lot.  

There are plenty of players who would upgrade our team who will be available.  Yes, there are a number of teams with money to spend and some of those players won't ultimately hit the market, but I expect we should see at least 2-3 significant signings that upgrade the roster.  We have a ton of cap room and we're not going to spend all that much bringing back the guys you mentioned.  And of them, Claiborne is really the only one I'd say we have to keep because we have nothing else at that position right now.

Ok so a bunch of guards when we need a LT and a C.  

Trumaine Johnson isn’t worth any where near what he is getting paid.  I assume that NE will franchise Butler.  And WR is the one unit where we don’t need any help.  

So again, I don’t see a LT or Pass Rusher and that leaves the only FA that is going to be a difference maker for the Jets is Cousins.  Without Cousins, this team is a 5-win team once again.

You can't reasonably/honestly predict playoffs without knowing the QB situation. If McCown, Petty, and Hack, I would predict no playoffs. With a guy like Cousins, maybe. With a high draft pick rookie, I'd be back to no.

OK I guess you can reasonably predict playoffs making assumptions about the QB spot....

13 hours ago, Pcola said:

Ok so a bunch of guards when we need a LT and a C.  

Trumaine Johnson isn’t worth any where near what he is getting paid.  I assume that NE will franchise Butler.  And WR is the one unit where we don’t need any help.  

So again, I don’t see a LT or Pass Rusher and that leaves the only FA that is going to be a difference maker for the Jets is Cousins.  Without Cousins, this team is a 5-win team once again.

I don't think we need a LT. I like Beachum.  Center is a must need.

I think the three pressing needs are QB, CB, and C. 

21 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What do you think this year was? We gutted all our high priced vets. Kept all our draft picks. Traded for an extra 2nd.  Have tons of cap space heading into next year. 

You want to be the Browns and rebuild for a decade and end up with Deshone Kizer as our QB? 

No, but I'd really love to hire Hue(1-28, and counting) Jackson.:D

22 hours ago, Barkus said:

agree we likely will not get darnold or rosen, mayfield will be within reach I believe

cousins- agree

bradford- agree, also too much injury risk

jackson- not sold on him, esp in first round. maybe with our second 2nd round pick if he is still there

would add Bridgewater as a possibilty if available- he is intriguing, has experience, is younger than petty. Would still draft a qb though. Not sold on teddy's arm strength.

would also consider later round fliers on luke falk and/or riley ferguson from memphis. 

We need to draft 2 qbs. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Wanna bet?  Bill Belechick is a genius he would find a way to win with this team use their strengths he certainly wouldn't quit or utilize poor clock management. 

Belichick never had a qb as bad as Bryce Petty.  Even Matt Cassel is significantly better

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Belichick never had a qb as bad as Bryce Petty.  Even Matt Cassel is significantly better

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick he wasn't even the starter at Michigan when he was drafted. 

BB has an eye for talent look at the current roster. 

For example Macc and Bowles parted ways with Trevor Reilly he looks like he's contributing on special teams and on the D. 

5 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I don't think we need a LT. I like Beachum.  Center is a must need.

I think the three pressing needs are QB, CB, and C. 

Beachum is average at best.  If we are going to continue to have mediocre or worse at QB, we better be elite at the critical positions and LT is definitely one.

On 12/14/2017 at 9:06 AM, pajet said:

Obviously early, but I have a hard time seeing more than 8 wins....and that is a reach....yay mediocrity.

people didn't see more than two when they looked at this year's tough schedule.  i don't buy into the whole scheduling thing too much.  a bad team can catch a good team on a bad day and win.  to me it's when the teams play like if they're playing a team in december driving towards the playoffs it could be a tough game but that same team to start the season could be pretty easy.

7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick he wasn't even the starter at Michigan when he was drafted. 

BB has an eye for talent look at the current roster. 

For example Macc and Bowles parted ways with Trevor Reilly he looks like he's contributing on special teams and on the D. 

let's end the brady bs for once.  yes he went in the 6th round but he also was starting for michigan.  he shared some of the starts with henson but he started the most.  he also won the rose bowl game that year. as for the bellichicken, he did luck into brady.  no telling how much success he would've had if he had to deal with bledsoe for a few seasons.

the thing is, people seem to focus on brady's draft position but the simple fact is was one of those years when teams really weren't looking for a qb and/or the group coming out didn't excite anyone.  wasn't chaddy the top qb taken with the 18th pick?  brady came from a top college program and could've easily gone higher.

17 hours ago, Pcola said:

Beachum is average at best.  If we are going to continue to have mediocre or worse at QB, we better be elite at the critical positions and LT is definitely one.

Our OL sucks.  Totally neglected we drafted a friggin Safety over Cam Robinson who is killing it in Jax 

13 hours ago, rangerous said:

let's end the brady bs for once.  yes he went in the 6th round but he also was starting for michigan.  he shared some of the starts with henson but he started the most.  he also won the rose bowl game that year. as for the bellichicken, he did luck into brady.  no telling how much success he would've had if he had to deal with bledsoe for a few seasons.

the thing is, people seem to focus on brady's draft position but the simple fact is was one of those years when teams really weren't looking for a qb and/or the group coming out didn't excite anyone.  wasn't chaddy the top qb taken with the 18th pick?  brady came from a top college program and could've easily gone higher.

Brady’s problem at Michigan was Lloyd Carr recruited too many qbs so he didn’t get to play as much as he should have.  Brady would have probably been a second round pick if he got to start the entire time at Michigan 

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Brady’s problem at Michigan was Lloyd Carr recruited too many qbs so he didn’t get to play as much as he should have.  Brady would have probably been a second round pick if he got to start the entire time at Michigan 

i agree that having to share snaps with henson probably affected his draft placement but he still got the majority.  i looked all of this up in another post and he did start the bulk of the games. 

and my point still remains.  brady should have had a higher draft placement.

Passing Tom Brady

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1996 Michigan Big Ten   QB 2 3 5 60.0 26 5.2 -3.8 0 1 63.7
1997 Michigan Big Ten   QB 4 12 15 80.0 103 6.9 6.9 0 0 137.7
1998 Michigan Big Ten   QB 12 200 323 61.9 2427 7.5 7.0 14 10 133.1
1999 Michigan Big Ten   QB 11 180 295 61.0 2217 7.5 7.7 16 6 138.0
Career Michigan         395 638 61.9 4773 7.5 7.2 30 17 134.9

Passing Drew Henson

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1998 Michigan Big Ten   QB 7 19 45 42.2 233 5.2 5.5 3 1 103.3
1999 Michigan Big Ten   QB 9 46 89 51.7 546 6.1 5.8 3 2 109.8
2000 Michigan Big Ten JR QB 8 131 217 60.4 1852 8.5 9.2 16 4 152.7
Career Michigan         196 351 55.8 26

20 hours ago, Philc1 said:

If it wasn’t for Brady Belichick would be a defensive coordinator somewhere currently 

i'm not so sure about that.  that first superbowl team was pretty talented and bledsoe wasn't bad when he was controlled and didn't make the big mistake.  people forget they were coming off a 5-11 record the year before and so had decent draft position coupled with a weak schedule.  by winning the superbowl the bellichicken certainly got firmly in the good graces of krafty and would've had another 5 seasons as head coach.  but if he doesn't win......

i will say that both of them together are much better than as individuals.

On 12/14/2017 at 7:47 AM, Gangrene said:

I dont think I will ever get tired of this sound bite in my lifetime. Mora's greatest contribution to football.

All we ever got was Herm's boring "You play to win the game".

Dennis Green RIP had a great sound bite, "They are who we thought they were"

Herm's sound bite was pretty awesome. Mora doesn't even like to be remembered for his playoffs sound bite. 

Archived