Playoff team next year?

Maxman

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

To be credible next year, the Jets need a QB, C, CB (or 2), RB and TE.

LT should be upgraded long-term, but Beachum was not a problem.  If the Jets sign a QB, then the 1st round pick can be used for the best of a CB, LT or EDGE.

They can use 2nd round picks for a RB and C.

Other picks can be used for the next generation of G.

The FA money can be used for a CB and to resign Davis, ASJ and Ealy.  

So actually believe that, hypothetically, the Jets can be a playoff team next year.  

You're assuming that the hit on all the draft picks.  You know what happens when you assume with the Jets?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

The next big game won by Kirk Cousins will he his first.  That guy is NOT the answer at QB.  He is a slightly better version of Andy Dalton. 

No QB.  No pass rush.  No RB.  Holes on the OL.  Weak at CB.  Weak at HC.

How the f*ck can anybody expect to make the playoffs?  And even if they do by some crazy circumstances, it will be as a WC because the Pats will win the AFCE for the 50th time in a row.  They have zero chance to win 3 playoff road games.

Boom.

tumblr_nrolj5ck2b1u92jvjo1_500.gif

9 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Lets start here.

Date TBA Bills Buffalo Bills
MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Packers Green Bay Packers
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Texans Houston Texans
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Colts Indianapolis Colts
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Dolphins Miami Dolphins
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Vikings Minnesota Vikings
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Patriots New England Patriots
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA AFC AFC West Opponent TBD*
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Bills at Buffalo Bills
New Era Field, Orchard Park, NY
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Bears at Chicago Bears
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Lions at Detroit Lions
Ford Field, Detroit, MI
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Jaguars at Jacksonville Jaguars
EverBank Field, Jacksonville, FL
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Dolphins at Miami Dolphins
Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, FL
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Patriots at New England Patriots
Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, MA
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Titans at Tennessee Titans
Nissan Stadium, Nashville, TN
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA AFC at AFC North Opponent TBD*
Site TBD
Time TBA
TV TBA

* Team from that division that finishes in the same spot 

Why aren't we playing a last place schedule? 

8 hours ago, Hael said:

We are missing a lot of things to be a playoff team.  Depth is a problem basically everywhere (we were very lucky this year on the injury front compared to most teams).

McCown has played above average starting qb football, so while Cousins is an upgrade its not as big as you think.   The big upgrade would need to be along the OL, at RB and at the skill positions (a legit WR1  and a real TE).

On D we need a high end edge rusher, we need a legit MLB, pass defending OLBers and help at the CB position.

So basically almost every high valued position in the NFL.

So to summarize we need a Qb, at least 2 upgrades on the OL, 2 upgrades at the skill positions, 3-4 upgrades on the D to even have a chance at the playoffs.  So thats 9 new high end starters (not counting churn on our current roster) which is really hard to do without killing the bank.  Typically you get one in the draft, and like 3-4 high valued FAs.  

Fortunately, our roster is soooo bad, there really isn't anyone to lose sleep over.   Best part of the suck....don't need to worry about losing anybody

Way too early to say but if Brady is healthy next year, I would pencil in the Pats for the division again.  I also think the Bills are going to take a big step up next year with 2 picks each in rounds 1, 2, and 3.  Based on these premises, I think we'd be fighting for the 2nd wildcard spot and there will be a LOT of competition.  That said, I could see the Jets also take a nice step forward depending on how we do in the draft and spending all that FA money.  But my early guess would be we'll be on the outside looking in.

Far more important than reaching the playoffs though, I could definitely see Robby Anderson getting to the Pro Bowl next year.

Of course we can be a playoff contender next year.  We could easily be sitting at 7 or 8 wins right now.

Another good draft and spending that 80 Mil wisely and this team should improve dramatically.  Not to mention all the young guys on the roster who will be primed to take the next step.

On 12/14/2017 at 1:02 AM, Maxman said:

Anyone else think the Jets can make the playoffs next year?

Kirk Cousins. A new center. Quincy comes back. Help at CB and this is a playoff team.

Boom.

Not a chance if Bowles is still here.  He is a lousy in game coach, as evidenced by the blown 4th Quarter leads this season and he has the emotion of a corpse. 

2 minutes ago, FlagmanL11 said:

Not a chance if Bowles is still here.  He is a lousy in game coach, as evidenced by the blown 4th Quarter leads this season and he has the emotion of a corpse. 

You're not a fan of the Kneel-Kneel-Kneel-Punt offense?

13 minutes ago, FlagmanL11 said:

I am kind of thinking he is getting fired lately. It is tough, they got off to a good start, he kept the team together. But like so many have said, he just hasn't shown that he will ever be a great coach.

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You're not a fan of the Kneel-Kneel-Kneel-Punt offense?

I am in the minority on that but that came from the O\C and I think it was the right thing to do. Petty was going to get hurt otherwise.

Regroup and give Petty a fresh start on Sunday.

On 12/13/2017 at 10:47 PM, Gangrene said:

I dont think I will ever get tired of this sound bite in my lifetime. Mora's greatest contribution to football.

All we ever got was Herm's boring "You play to win the game".

Dennis Green RIP had a great sound bite, "They are who we thought they were"

Wow, loved Herm’s speech. 

Well since this team refuses to rebuild, playoffs should be mandated for both GM and HC.  It’s not asking a lot since we have already beaten two teams going this year (KC and Jax), plus most of the league sucks.

27 minutes ago, Stark said:

What are you trading to Minn.? The will let Bradford walk that is the most likely Viking QB to be free'd up.

All three Vikings QBs are free agents.  Since Keenum is only 29, they will probably re-sign to a cheap (for starting QBs) deal and let both Bradford and Bridgewater go.  

And we don’t want anything to do with either.

At this point our starting QB for 2018 is one of:

Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield - snowballs chance in hell.

Cousins - we might be one of 3 or 4 teams that shows interest.

McCown - most likely.

7 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Well since this team refuses to rebuild, playoffs should be mandated for both GM and HC.  It’s not asking a lot since we have already beaten two teams going this year (KC and Jax), plus most of the league sucks.

What do you think this year was? We gutted all our high priced vets. Kept all our draft picks. Traded for an extra 2nd.  Have tons of cap space heading into next year. 

You want to be the Browns and rebuild for a decade and end up with Deshone Kizer as our QB? 

This is the NY Jets and realistically Darnold-Rosen-Mayfield will be gone by the time we pick, unless our GM can work out a trade. 

So we might have a shot at Rudolph-Allen-Jackson...

With that being said Cousins will demand too much money not worth it, we have an entire roster to build. 

Sam Bradford would be a much a better option than McCown or Fitzpatrick has been. 

Unless of course we start the rookie QB we draft I just don't want another Hackenberg situation here. 

41 minutes ago, Pcola said:

All three Vikings QBs are free agents.  Since Keenum is only 29, they will probably re-sign to a cheap (for starting QBs) deal and let both Bradford and Bridgewater go.  

And we don’t want anything to do with either.

At this point our starting QB for 2018 is one of:

Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield - snowballs chance in hell.

Cousins - we might be one of 3 or 4 teams that shows interest.

McCown - most likely.

Nauseating 

27 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

This is the NY Jets and realistically Darnold-Rosen-Mayfield will be gone by the time we pick, unless our GM can work out a trade. 

So we might have a shot at Rudolph-Allen-Jackson...

With that being said Cousins will demand too much money not worth it, we have an entire roster to build. 

Sam Bradford would be a much a better option than McCown or Fitzpatrick has been. 

Unless of course we start the rookie QB we draft I just don't want another Hackenberg situation here. 

Darnold-Rosen-Mayfield - no shot unless we both lose out and trade up

Cousins - pass, way overrated and wants too much money

Bradford - done

Lamar Jackson - yes please

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We aren’t making the playoffs next year especially if Macagnan is back

Year #8 no playoffs!

I don't believe Bowles can get us to the playoffs either. He had a chance and decided to start Stevan Ridley. Bowles is just a consistent mistake machine.

4 minutes ago, Stark said:

I don't believe Bowles can get us to the playoffs either. He had a chance and decided to start Stevan Ridley. Bowles is just a consistent mistake machine.

Yes the game he sat Chris Ivory who reeled off a 58 year run...............I remember it well. 

DAMN YOU TODD BOWELS YOU MORON 

5 minutes ago, Stark said:

Bowles and Macagnan both stink and should be fired

After the next 3 games they will be 10-23 since the Stevan Ridley game. 

Archived