Playoff team next year?

Maxman

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Image result for playoffs gif

I dont think I will ever get tired of this sound bite in my lifetime. Mora's greatest contribution to football.

All we ever got was Herm's boring "You play to win the game".

Dennis Green RIP had a great sound bite, "They are who we thought they were"

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Anyone else think the Jets can make the playoffs next year?

Kirk Cousins. A new center. Quincy comes back. Help at CB and this is a playoff team.

Boom.

Sooner or later even God has mercy and will throw us a bone ?. ? 

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Kirk Cousins. A new center. Quincy comes back. Help at CB and this is a playoff team.

Boom.

And The NY Jets with their first pick in the 2018 NFL Draft select P from NJ Swamp State,  Pepe Le Pew

pepe_le_pew_wallpaper_by_e_122_psi.png

Another season has come and gone and once again we are not even close to an answer about a QB. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year...so I thought. And at the end of the day the Jet QB dilemma looms over the Jet organization once again. So playoffs next year. I doubt it. Probably another year with McCown as QB. Maybe draft another QB to ride the pine and dump Hack or Petty. Or go with the 4 QB circle jerk. The Jets just can't seem to solve the QB issue. And until they do, I don't see much change.

Good grief!

31 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Another season has come and gone and once again we are not even close to an answer about a QB. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year...so I thought. And at the end of the day the Jet QB dilemma looms over the Jet organization once again. So playoffs next year. I doubt it. Probably another year with McCown as QB. Maybe draft another QB to ride the pine and dump Hack or Petty. Or go with the 4 QB circle jerk. The Jets just can't seem to solve the QB issue. And until they do, I don't see much change.

Good grief!

Finding out you don't have a franchise QB is the first step unfortunately, we'll have a bunch of options available to us after the season. Just gotta make the right choice. 

The division could be interesting next year, Bills will probably have a new QB, it will be do or die in Miami with Tannehill and Gase, NFL will identify and ban the anti aging drug that tammy is on (has to be cheating somehow) - Goodall has nothing to lose with his new contract

Mo will revert to pro-bowl form on one of the teams in the AFC east

Lets start here.

Date TBA Bills Buffalo Bills
MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Packers Green Bay Packers
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Texans Houston Texans
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Colts Indianapolis Colts
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Dolphins Miami Dolphins
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Vikings Minnesota Vikings
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Patriots New England Patriots
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA AFC AFC West Opponent TBD*
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Bills at Buffalo Bills
New Era Field, Orchard Park, NY
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Bears at Chicago Bears
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Lions at Detroit Lions
Ford Field, Detroit, MI
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Jaguars at Jacksonville Jaguars
EverBank Field, Jacksonville, FL
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Dolphins at Miami Dolphins
Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, FL
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Patriots at New England Patriots
Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, MA
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Titans at Tennessee Titans
Nissan Stadium, Nashville, TN
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA AFC at AFC North Opponent TBD*
Site TBD
Time TBA
TV TBA

* Team from that division that finishes in the same spot 

28 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Lets start here.

Date TBA Bills Buffalo Bills
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Packers Green Bay Packers
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Texans Houston Texans
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Colts Indianapolis Colts
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Dolphins Miami Dolphins
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Vikings Minnesota Vikings
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Patriots New England Patriots
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA AFC AFC West Opponent TBD*
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Bills at Buffalo Bills
New Era Field, Orchard Park, NY
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Bears at Chicago Bears
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Lions at Detroit Lions
Ford Field, Detroit, MI
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Jaguars at Jacksonville Jaguars
EverBank Field, Jacksonville, FL
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Dolphins at Miami Dolphins
Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, FL
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Patriots at New England Patriots
Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, MA
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA Titans at Tennessee Titans
Nissan Stadium, Nashville, TN
Time TBA
TV TBA

Date TBA AFC at AFC North Opponent TBD*
Site TBD
Time TBA
TV TBA

* Team from that division that finishes in the same spot 

Obviously early, but I have a hard time seeing more than 8 wins....and that is a reach....yay mediocrity.

The only thing the Jets have going for them is that the AFC is terrible.  The Jets are an awful Football team and they were almost kind of in the playoff picture at one point. 

I do not think this team is capable of making the playoffs under Todd Bowles.  He's the very definition of a SOJ coach.  His teams have routinely folded in SOJ fashion in games they should win (Denver, Tampa this year as an example) and those are the types of games you have to win if you want to be a playoff team.  

The other side of the coin is the Jets have zero talent at positions that matter.  In the offseason, they'll be looking to address every single meaningful position on an NFL roster.  QB, LT, CB, Pass Rusher.  Then there are the other holes that are current and the ones that will be created by departures in the offseason.  

Good news is, the Jets have a ton of cap space and a bunch of draft picks.  So next season could be a step in the right direction with some appropriate roster building.  Then again, I'm not really confident in that but we shall see.  This isn't a team that you look at the roster and can say, this team has the right pieces in place to make a significant move from a win perspective next year.  You don't look at the 2017 Jets and see what you saw in the Jags, Rams, Titans, Chargers etc.  They're much closer to the Browns and 49'ers than they are those teams.

It all depends on FA and the draft. At this point I'm not optimistic. I do see the Jets play the Lions next season in Detroit so I will be going to that one and can see them up close for a change. With Macchole and Bowles in control it will be tough to get excited unless Macchole has the off-season I don't think he is capable of and somehow Bowles is possessed by the angry spirit of Vince Lombardi.

We are missing a lot of things to be a playoff team.  Depth is a problem basically everywhere (we were very lucky this year on the injury front compared to most teams).

McCown has played above average starting qb football, so while Cousins is an upgrade its not as big as you think.   The big upgrade would need to be along the OL, at RB and at the skill positions (a legit WR1  and a real TE).

On D we need a high end edge rusher, we need a legit MLB, pass defending OLBers and help at the CB position.

So basically almost every high valued position in the NFL.

So to summarize we need a Qb, at least 2 upgrades on the OL, 2 upgrades at the skill positions, 3-4 upgrades on the D to even have a chance at the playoffs.  So thats 9 new high end starters (not counting churn on our current roster) which is really hard to do without killing the bank.  Typically you get one in the draft, and like 3-4 high valued FAs.  

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Boom.

With Kirk Cousins, some money spent on the OL/CB and 3 picks in the first 2 rounds this team would be expected to make the playoffs. Hopefully we lose out which gets  us a high 1st, high 2nd round picks and a last place schedule. That last place schedule could be as important as the high draft pick for our chances of success next year. 

Kirk Cousins is going to have better options. I'd be shocked if he came to a bad team in a high tax state. Not being political, but this issue will become even bigger with the new tax bill. Teams in high tax states are going to have to significantly overpay to attract free agents. 

Quincy Enunwa went down with a season-ending neck injury without being touched. He'll still be rehabbing that injury at draft time. I'm not counting on him for anything and, really, he was just an up and comer this year, no guarantee at the position. 

Jets need to resign Kearse and determine what they're doing with ASJ - who kinda fell off a cliff, and Claiborne, who's been decent. 

After three years of this management team, the team still has holes everywhere. No sign of a QB on the roster, and no obvious plan for one. Jets lack a pass rush. RB needs an upgrade, WR needs an upgrade, CB needs an upgrade, the OL needs a serious upgrade. Last time Maccagnan had a lot of money to spend he did it wrong. He drafts out of fear. Bowles continues to inspire little to zero confidence, and that's about how confident I am on this team making the playoffs next season. 

Boom.

For what? To either have zero chance to win a SB or to quit in the first quarter of a road WC game because things aren't going the HC's way?

Boom.

Those are some lofty expectations. First of all, Cousins probably isn't coming to the Jets. Second, it's hard to say if Q will be back and able to perform at the same level next year. Second, unless the Jets trade for one or bring Mangold out of retirement, there are pretty much no free agent Cs coming next year that are of starting quality. 

Corner is a much easier question. I think Juston Burris is not only ready to start, but will be a damn good CB with Morris Claiborne, should the Jets re-sign him and he stays healthy. Skrine is out next season, but Darryl Roberts may be ready to fill in. 

Jets also need a pass rusher, as I don't think Mo will be back next season. Offensively, the Jets should re-sign Kearse

The next big game won by Kirk Cousins will he his first.  That guy is NOT the answer at QB.  He is a slightly better version of Andy Dalton. 

No QB.  No pass rush.  No RB.  Holes on the OL.  Weak at CB.  Weak at HC.

How the f*ck can anybody expect to make the playoffs?  And even if they do by some crazy circumstances, it will be as a WC because the Pats will win the AFCE for the 50th time in a row.  They have zero chance to win 3 playoff road games.

Boom.

2 hours ago, peebag said:

QB, OL, CBs, RBs, LBs - those don't get fixed in one season.

To be credible next year, the Jets need a QB, C, CB (or 2), RB and TE.

LT should be upgraded long-term, but Beachum was not a problem.  If the Jets sign a QB, then the 1st round pick can be used for the best of a CB, LT or EDGE.

They can use 2nd round picks for a RB and C.

Other picks can be used for the next generation of G.

The FA money can be used for a CB and to resign Davis, ASJ and Ealy.  

So actually believe that, hypothetically, the Jets can be a playoff team next year.  

Archived