If Paradis was GM (early off season)

Paradis

Would you forgo the drama and take this?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you forgo the drama and take this?

• Yes
    • No

No to releasing Enunwa

Of the 15 yrs McCown has been in the league he’s been on 2 winning teams...neither of which he threw a pass. 

I’d prefer McCown GTFO of town...as far away from this team and Bowles as possible.

On 1/6/2018 at 7:21 PM, Paradis said:

eh, he's not young anymore, took a while to develop and then broke his neck... I'll use that roster spot on Kearse instead. Not sure Q bounces back.

Same Harrison, ex-Longhorn in round 3. I think 2019 #1 pick to move up from 6 to 3 is enough. We keep our 2nd and use it on RJ 

+noted about Ijalana. I actually anticipated cutting but didn't think to list him because i thought he negligible. 6M?? Gone! 

He's 25.

He had almost 1000 yards (ok 850ish) in his 3rd year.   How fast do you want him to develop? 

On 1/7/2018 at 4:04 PM, Beerfish said:

Why is everyone and their dog trying to create a hole in the oline by cutting carpenter?

Yeah I have thought about it and still on the fence leaning to keep him. Sign Jensen for C, find a RG through the draft or by signing Nowell, draft an OT or two early and take his 4 and change cap hit.

Underrated way to save $4 million: cutting Bilal Powell 

I mean if it’s me I’m gonna gamble on Allen Robinson someone who can be a true #1, and will be cheaper then Watkins even thou he has a much higher ceiling as far as true #1 WR is concerned, and I don’t like the Watkins injury drama when he was under contract he reminds me of the next Percy Harvin.

10 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Yeah I have thought about it and still on the fence leaning to keep him. Sign Jensen for C, find a RG through the draft or by signing Nowell, draft an OT or two early and take his 4 and change cap hit.

Underrated way to save $4 million: cutting Bilal Powell 

Calm down Gato, Powell is one of the few bright sparks on offense we have, he’s a good soldier who makes plays and has a few miles left in the tank. If we are parting ways with Mo, Forte, Skrine, Ijalana and Devin Smith we’ll be close to 118M in cap space, it’s not like we are desperate for another 4M...unless we are making some crazy-ass splurges in free agency

Not sure we need to go down the route of replacing either Carpenter or Winters with an expensive FA either. JC has been consistently good for us and is a locked -in every snap player, you need guys like that who you can just forget about. Winters contract means sticking with him at least another season but his durability is a question mark so perhaps drafting a replacement who could unseat him as early as next season makes sense. It’s to be hoped upgrading C will make a big difference to the all-around play at G and by association the entire OL improves.

I would look at taking an OT high and maybe Hernandez or Wynn and having a proper and exciting camp competition at LG.....well as exciting as a competition at LG can be !

7 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Calm down Gato, Powell is one of the few bright sparks on offense we have, he’s a good soldier who makes plays and has a few miles left in the tank. If we are parting ways with Mo, Forte, Skrine, Ijalana and Devin Smith we’ll be close to 118M in cap space, it’s not like we are desperate for another 4M...unless we are making some crazy-ass splurges in free agency

Not sure we need to go down the route of replacing either Carpenter or Winters with an expensive FA either. JC has been consistently good for us and is a locked -in every snap player, you need guys like that who you can just forget about. Winters contract means sticking with him at least another season but his durability is a question mark so perhaps drafting a replacement who could unseat him as early as next season makes sense. It’s to be hoped upgrading C will make a big difference to the all-around play at G and by association the entire OL improves.

I would look at taking an OT high and maybe Hernandez or Wynn and having a proper and exciting camp competition at LG.....well as exciting as a competition at LG can be !

They'll be no need for Powell when we draft Michel. 

On 06/01/2018 at 10:43 PM, Paradis said:

Loosely, not gonna slave over contract details and to the penny cap numbers

IT'S ALL ABOUT WHAT MOVES THE FCKING NEEDLE PEOPLE!

Say good bye to:

Mo Wilk, B. Skrine, DT McLendon, M Forte, W. Johnson, B Petty, J. Carpenter, Q. Enunwa, Devin Smith, Ben Ijalana... see y'all the fck later.

Yes, we'll resign/hang on to:

J. McCown (just as a #2 ppl), A Seferian-Jenkins, M. Clairborne, K. Ealy, J. Kearse, D. Davis

FREE AGENTS; offense:

Center W. Richburg, (NYG), Tackle/Guard C. Hubbard (PIT), Guard L. Joekel (SEA),

S. Watkins (Woods emergence makes this possible) Hback/TE Trey Burton (PHI)  RB Charles Sims (TB),  

FREE AGENTS; defense

CB A. Colvin (JAX) OLB A. Lynch (SF), DL C. Thornton (BUF), NT D Poe (ATL) 

Draft:

1. Rosen (trade up, cost; #1 next year)
  2. DE/OLB M. Davenport + (Sea) RB Ronald Jones 
  3. OT D. Harrison
  4. Edge Rusher S. Teuhema
  5. CB Danny Johnson (look this dude up!)
  6. WR Antonio Callaway
  7. ILB Frank Ginda

Ball park of team next sept

QB: Rosen, McCown, Hackenberg

Oline; Beachum, Joekel, Richburg, Winters,  Hubbard, Harrison,

RB: Ronald Jones, Powell, Sims.

WR: Watkins, Anderson, Kearse, Stewart, Callaway

TE: ASJ, Burton, Leggett, Sterling

Dline: Williams, Ealy, Poe, Thornton, Simon

LB: Davenport, Jenkins, Lee, Davis, Teuhema, Ginda

Secondary: Adams, Maye, Claiborne, Colvin, Burris, Johnson, Brooks, Coleman, Roberts

So whatcha think?

Sione Teuhema: good call, looks like an all-out monster, very athletic lining up against CB’s at 6-4 260(although these listed measurements are always a bit suspect until the combine). Love how he plays fast and aggressive at all times, never letting up. Tremendous tackler driving through the ball carrier. Limited film on him but what there is was mighty impressive. Great production as a senior

OK it’s Southeastern Louisiana and I guess there are some off-field concerns with him leaving LSU but very impressed. I really like him and if he’s available in the 4th he’s a steal. I suspect he may be one of those draft darlings who rise and rise as the draft gets closer. If we came away with him AND Davenport....ooh la la

I’m a big fan of Hercules Mata’afa, another Uber productive player with that tremendous Polynesian physicality and athleticism and 3 very solid years at Washington State. Love how despite being LB sized(6-2 250) he’s consistently disruptive playing inside at DT. If he’s that quick and strong going up against interior linemen who outweigh him by about 75 lbs then he could be a wrecking ball at OLB.

Any draft that comes away with one of these guys is a good one for me

10 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Sione Teuhema: good call, looks like an all-out monster, very athletic lining up against CB’s at 6-4 260(although these listed measurements are always a bit suspect until the combine). Love how he plays fast and aggressive at all times, never letting up. Tremendous tackler driving through the ball carrier. Limited film on him but what there is was mighty impressive. Great production as a senior

OK it’s Southeastern Louisiana and I guess there are some off-field concerns with him leaving LSU but very impressed. I really like him and if he’s available in the 4th he’s a steal. I suspect he may be one of those draft darlings who rise and rise as the draft gets closer. If we came away with him AND Davenport....ooh la la

I’m a big fan of Hercules Mata’afa, another Uber productive player with that tremendous Polynesian physicality and athleticism and 3 very solid years at Washington State. Love how despite being LB sized(6-2 250) he’s consistently disruptive playing inside at DT. If he’s that quick and strong going up against interior linemen who outweigh him by about 75 lbs then he could be a wrecking ball at OLB.

Thanks for sharing. 

I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on Teuhema... Think you might be totally right tho -- the more eyes that settle on him, the more likely he is to rise. If a team falls in love, they probably won't be comfortable waiting till the 3rd or 4th.

We'll see. this is the honeymoon phase where anything's possible! 

ps -- ditto on hercules. I became very familiar with his brand of hard knocks football as sat through half a dozen Luke Falk games this year. 

I think passing on any OT prospect because "Shell has been fine" is a monumental mistake.  1. I don't think he has been fine.  I think he has been sh*tty with a hopeful upside towards reasonable starter.  2. Being fine in your 2nd year does not mean you will ascend or even keep up the "good" work.  See Mauldin, Burris, Deion Simon, etc.

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think passing on any OT prospect because "Shell has been fine" is a monumental mistake.  1. I don't think he has been fine.  I think he has been sh*tty with a hopeful upside towards reasonable starter.  2. Being fine in your 2nd year does not mean you will ascend or even keep up the "good" work.  See Mauldin, Burris, Deion Simon, etc.

Shell is a JAG RT.  We need a franchise or at least good LT

On 1/8/2018 at 12:37 PM, chirorob said:

He's 25.

He had almost 1000 yards (ok 850ish) in his 3rd year.   How fast do you want him to develop? 

I totally hear you and others (OK, so i thought he was 26-27), but in turn, i feel like i;m not being heard on this one.

We can only roster 5 WRs. 6 if a few are playing STs.... He's only been good for 1 year, and he's coming back from a serious injury which i think (even if he's healthy) is going to impeded his development. I don't think it's a given he's anywhere where he was 3 seasons ago when he came to life. He was a force throughout the 2016. We're talking 2018 now. 

Simply put, i'd rather have a different player. Its not about cap. It's about Roster spots.

Perfect scenario

1. Watkins (or insert your favorite WR FA)
  2. Anderson
  3. Kearse
  4. Stewart.. .DUDE NEEDS REPS
  5. Rookie
  6. Hansen on ST

No room for him. That's an easy as i can say it. 

16 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Where did you find tape on Seuhema? I can't find it anywhere. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I totally hear you and others (OK, so i thought he was 26-27), but in turn, i feel like i;m not being heard on this one.

We can only roster 5 WRs. 6 if a few are playing STs.... He's only been good for 1 year, and he's coming back from a serious injury which i think (even if he's healthy) is going to impeded his development. I don't think it's a given he's anywhere where he was 3 seasons ago when he came to life. He was a force throughout the 2016. We're talking 2018 now. 

Simply put, i'd rather have a different player. Its not about cap. It's about Roster spots.

Perfect scenario

1. Watkins (or insert your favorite WR FA)
  2. Anderson
  3. Kearse
  4. Stewart.. .DUDE NEEDS REPS
  5. Rookie
  6. Hansen on ST

No room for him. That's an easy as i can say it. 

I hear you -- I just can't see making the decision now to release Q--unless the Jets already know that his medical prognosis makes it unlikely that will be able to play effectively.  If healthy, he has already proven that he can be a solid NFL receiver--something Stewart, Hansen & a rookie have not yet done.

If he is not ready to return, he goes on PUP and does not take a roster spot.  Obviously, if he goes out there in preseason and is clearly a shell of the guy who caught almost 60 passes in 2016, then they can release him.  If he can get back on the field, and can demonstrate in pre-season that he can pay at his pre-injury level, then I am not in favor of releasing him to keep 3 unknowns on the roster.

At the very least, I would prefer to see us tender him and make the call on him in September.  What do we have to gain by not making an offer other than saving his salary -- original round tender is likely to be less than $2MM.  

2 hours ago, Lith said:

I hear you -- I just can't see making the decision now to release Q--unless the Jets already know that his medical prognosis makes it unlikely that will be able to play effectively.  If healthy, he has already proven that he can be a solid NFL receiver--something Stewart, Hansen & a rookie have not yet done.

If he is not ready to return, he goes on PUP and does not take a roster spot.  Obviously, if he goes out there in preseason and is clearly a shell of the guy who caught almost 60 passes in 2016, then they can release him.  If he can get back on the field, and can demonstrate in pre-season that he can pay at his pre-injury level, then I am not in favor of releasing him to keep 3 unknowns on the roster.

At the very least, I would prefer to see us tender him and make the call on him in September.  What do we have to gain by not making an offer other than saving his salary -- original round tender is likely to be less than $2MM.  

We can afford to tender him, and release him in september - true. And i'd probably do that if I was GM, sure. So i guess i'm guilty of breaking my own OP title... In reality, I don't know a ton of FA who get tendered and then released at the end of training camp. So if i was Mike, i might let him test FA and we can get him back for an incentive laden deal, maybe. 

Stewart and Hansen. Sigh.

8 hours ago, Lith said:

I agree with this, I get what @Paradis is saying and I suppose this really boils down to whether or not we go hard after Watkins or indeed any other of the top FA guys (Jarvis Landry anyone?).

If absolutely pushed I’d probably stick with what we have at WR, see how Enunwa is post iunjury(still has some trade value IMO if he proves his health) and if a no-brainer opens up in the draft then go ahead and make the pick. 

One thing iOS for sure when you consider where we were at the WR position prior to Maccagnan and Bowles we are in way better shape. We are not even talking about the likes of Jalin Marshall and Charone Peake anymore. 

WQe are a long way from the days of Clyde Gates, TJ Graham, Shaq Evans, Jalen Saunders, Davis Nelson and Greg Salas.

On 1/7/2018 at 9:43 AM, bla bla bla said:

The issue I have with the draft is I think Rosen goes top 2 so it will likely cost us more than just #6 and next years first. By resigning McCown teams will know we are gunning for a QB in the draft so I'd have to imagine there will be teams competing with us. I like the pick and would be ecstatic if it happened but I don't see it as a realistic possibility for that price.

Throw in Jamal Adams. Nah they’ll laugh in Mac’s face. 

16 hours ago, jgb said:

nice job laying this out. Will cost more than a #1 next year to move up for Rosen

Appreciate everyone throwing in their 2 cents. I've read a few ppl who think it will cost more than next year's first pick to move up from #6 to #3.

Certainly possible, but I'll challenge that thinking. It's a #1 pick to move up 3 spots near the top. Will there be better overtures? Maybe, like BUF in the 20s -- but that's a huge step back in position. Depending how those first few picks go, If I'm IND, i'd rather take the 1st, and only drop back a couple spots. Probably still have chance to take Barkley possibly, or Nelson. DEN would be the competition there for us i think. 

Anyway - we'll see. 

16 hours ago, maury77 said:

Where did you find tape on Seuhema? I can't find it anywhere. 

You have to do a bit of digging.

There’s a bunch of Southeast Louisiana highlights from the last two years on YouTube . I think Bethune-Cookman, Sam Houston State, Abilene Christian and Houston Baptist, probbly others if you really want to go looking. The camerawork on some of them is shocking though so not every one is much use

As I said before it’s a very small Sample size and clearly the level of football needs to be considered but you can get an idea that he’s often in and around the play. If you just search for Sione Teuhema you’ll get what I believe is his high school senior year tape....which is pretty impressive too but it’s, well high school!

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

Appreciate everyone throwing in their 2 cents. I've read a few ppl who think it will cost more than next year's first pick to move up from #6 to #3.

Certainly possible, but I'll challenge that thinking. It's a #1 pick to move up 3 spots near the top. Will there be better overtures? Maybe, like BUF in the 20s -- but that's a huge step back in position. Depending how those first few picks go, If I'm IND, i'd rather take the 1st, and only drop back a couple spots. Probably still have chance to take Barkley possibly, or Nelson. DEN would be the competition there for us i think. 

Anyway - we'll see. 

If you could move up to top 3 only using next year's #1, then yes I endorse you for GM! :)

Archived