My Own Josh Rosen Scouting Report

Grandy

Rosen is arguably the best prospect in the uber-hyped 2018 NFL draft. It's been shown that he is Macc's favorite guy in the draft, and it's likely he will pursue a trade up for him if we do not acquire Cousins. As for the Darnold v Rosen debate, I'm indifferent, and would be ecstatic if we drafted either one. I'll be doing my own scouting reports of QB's in the draft, and posting them. Rosen is the first of my reports.

Who He Is: Josh Rosen is arguably the top guy in the Draft, he comes from an upper-class, Jewish upbringing, which would be perfect for thriving in the NY scene. He stands at a Tall, lanky frame of 6,4 218 lbs. He'll be turning 21 in less than a week, and will be one of the youngest guys in the league come August. He's admired as the most pro-ready QB in the draft, drawing comparisons to Matt Ryan, and even Peyton Manning.

His Strengths: Simply put, Rosen is a gifted passer. He looks natural, and graceful in the pocket. He has a cannon for an arm, that would be among the NFL's greatest. He looks amazing in the pocket, he contains great footwork, and a great delivery. He throws a beautiful football, with a great spin on it, and is able to make difficult throws due to it. He also is credited with amazing Football IQ, and intelligence, he makes good reads, and great throws. He's easily the most pro-ready guy in the draft. Barring injury, he'll dominate the NFL. He also performs well in the spotlight, I'll link a highlight video that displays a 28 point comeback against T&M

His Weaknesses: He only has 2 major red flags that could deter potential landing spots; His injury history, and his attitude. Through his college career, he's suffered through 2 concussions, and a shoulder surgery, and he hasn't even faced the hard hitting defenses of the NFL. The other problem, his attitude, could cause problems in the future. It's been reported he doesn't work well with coaches, and his team, and is known for brash remarks, and at times; his love for Football has been questioned.

Closing Thoughts: I believe Rosen is a top tier QB, and our team would benefit greatly from pursuing him as he contains all the skills and abilities to become a superstar. His injury problems & personality issues could make him a risky pick but, I think the risk would pay off greatly.

The thing you left out on Strengths is his Intelligence. Kid is super smart from everything I have read/heard, and both book smart and Football IQ. Also he played under center. Accuracy downfield 45+ yd throws is very good. 

He is still my #1 and Darnold the#2... but I'd be happy with either.

2 hours ago, 19andOhWait said:

just curious, is this a guess or has this been reported/rumored somewhere?

Kinda both, Rosen is Maccs favorite guy, and he said he'd pursue a trade up if he felt strongly of a QB. I feel like this is likely if we do not get Cousins in FA.

On 2/4/2018 at 3:18 PM, Grandy said:

The other problem, his attitude, could cause problems in the future. It's been reported he doesn't work well with coaches, and his team, and is known for brash remarks, and at times; his love for Football has been questioned.

They always lump these two things together.  Questioning coaches always means you don't love football. I understand why it is an issue at higher levels, but I think we all know some douchebag coach that can't explain the simplest concepts that gets mad if his players won't run through a wall for him. Questioning that guy doesn't always mean you don't love football, though it isn't helping your draft stock any.  He was in Westwood three years and had 3 OCs (Mazzone, Polamalu and Fisch).  Mora was fired for Chip Kelly before last season even ended and Fisch promoted, so the kid hasn't actually had stable coaching to deal with.

22 minutes ago, 19andOhWait said:

God I hope that's not true

there's 5-6 QB's I'd consider at 6. no reason to pull a Trubisky/RG3/Goff/Wentz deal for another stuck-up California pretty boy 

I disagree.  Waiting for a QB is pretty much never the right move.  If you think it's your guy you jump.  You may like guys like Mayfield and Allen just as much, but whichever you like best is always worth a premium over the others IMO.

16 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Waiting for a QB is pretty much never the right move.  If you think it's your guy you jump.  You may like guys like Mayfield and Allen just as much, but whichever you like best is always worth a premium over the others IMO.

maybe this is the right way to look at it. just because it's a first or second round pick doesn't mean you get a great player, as we damn well know with Pryor, Jace, Devin Smith, Darron Lee, Hack. 

and it seemed to work nicely for Texans and Chiefs with D Watson and Mahomes, I believe they moved up for both of them. 

Rosen sure does look like a natural back there, hah, some sick throws in that video. 

• 1 month later...

Gil Brandt‏ @Gil_Brandt

Talked w/ @josh3rosen this morning. Told me he wished it had rained during his @UCLAFootball pro day so he could show teams he could wing it in all elements. He did have plenty of wind to contend with and looked terrific both rolling out and in pocket. Best passer in this draft.

I've gotten to know Josh a little bit, spending time with him at the Super Bowl, combine and on the phone. Some I talked to said he was arrogant w/out much of a filter. I couldn't disagree more. He comes across natural and polite. Teams should have no issues with him.

Bates w/Mcc 

Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt)

3/16/18, 12:40 PM

All 32 teams were repped at @UCLAFootball pro day, including HCs from CIN, SD, NO; GMs from ATL, NYJ; and NYJ OC Jeremy Bates.

An afterthought after disastrous 2017 debut vs. Texas A&M, OT Kolton Miller now looks locked for middle of Round 1. Carbon copy of Nate Solder.

"If you throw a tight spiral, it doesn't matter," he said. "But ball's ball. I'm not going to change the pro day and say, 'Hey, can we hang out for the wind a little bit?' But it was fun. Threw it pretty well."

Man I love his attitude. Just read about his pro day, and I love him more and more every day. Get him at all costs mac!! I dont give a damn about his injury history, i'm fine with rolling the dice on that. Make an offer to the Giants making it incredibly hard for them to pass on it.

On 2/4/2018 at 3:18 PM, Grandy said:

It's been shown that he is Macc's favorite guy

How has "it been shown"? The Jets have scouted everybody and if you look you can find writers claiming sources have told them that every one of the top 4 is every GMs "favorite guy"

31 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

How has "it been shown"? The Jets have scouted everybody and if you look you can find writers claiming sources have told them that every one of the top 4 is every GMs "favorite guy"

I wrote this almost 2 months ago when the big buzz was Macc loving Rosen. Obviously sh*t's changed since then.

21 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

How Jetsy that the obvious correct course of action is the first one to be ruled out altogether.

How has it been ruled out? If anything it's looking like a real possibility.

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This assumes that Woody Johnson cares more about winning than he does about politics. He doesn't. I probably wouldn't either. The Jets are no way no how going to draft Rosen ever period.

Then why waste time scouting everyone of his games, and flying to LA to see him practice in person?

11 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

I'm at the stage I want the Jets to trade up to whatever pick they need to in order to insure that they select Rosen.  He reminds me of Matt Ryan.  The rest of the picks can go to beefing up the O-line for this year.

So I wrote this before the trade happened.  I hope he becomes the choice.

What about his inconsistent accuracy on short and long throws?

People talk about Darnold making stupid decisions but I would say that Rosen has the same type of decison making. See this game vs A&M.

He doesn't have a cannon, probably above average.

I really think that you report on him is being heavely influenced by the media hype.

Im not saying he's a bad prospect but we have to look at him and be able to see who he really is and not who the media been telling for the past 3 years.

14 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

What about his inconsistent accuracy on short and long throws?

People talk about Darnold making stupid decisions but I would say that Rosen has the same type of decison making. See this game vs A&M.

He doesn't have a cannon, probably above average.

I really think that you report on him is being heavely influenced by the media hype.

Im not saying he's a bad prospect but we have to look at him and be able to see who he really is and not who the media been telling for the past 3 years.

That A&M game is long gone and his footwork(which was already polished) looks even better. What inaccuracy issue on short passes? Huh? He threads short/intermediate and even deep passes easily.

not sure what you mean

On 19/03/2018 at 5:32 AM, Patriot Killa said:

That A&M game is long gone and his footwork(which was already polished) looks even better. What inaccuracy issue on short passes? Huh? He threads short/intermediate and even deep passes easily.

not sure what you mean

Watch the game vs Arizona State 2017. Yes there are drops in this game, but his overall accuracy and ball placement was horrible. 

Archived