FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No because it releases 3QBs into the open market. There is no real doomsday scenario that is realistic for the Jets

The theee QBs that will be on the open market are trash.  Bradford has degenerative knee issue and Bridgewater, after two years of rehab, has not done anything to convince anyone he will ever be healthy enough to be counted on going forward.  And what is awesome about Keenum, is similar to Garoppolo, he played well enough last year to warrant a huge contract.  The difference though is is the four years of absolutely terrible film on him that dictates you don’t make that investment.

So if your HC’s goal is to survive 16 games while winning 5 games, we are in great shape.  Plenty of options.  

Just now, Pcola said:

The theee QBs that will be on the open market are trash.  Bradford has degenerative knee issue and Bridgewater, after two years of rehab, has not done anything to convince anyone he will ever be healthy enough to be counted on going forward.  And what is awesome about Keenum, is similar to Garoppolo, he played well enough last year to warrant a huge contract.  The difference though is is the four years of absolutely terrible film on him that dictates you don’t make that investment.

So if your HC’s goal is to survive 16 games while winning 5 games, we are in great shape.  Plenty of options.  

Are all 3 better than McCown? Petty? Hackenberg?

Bradford paired with a rookie would be fine.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Are all 3 better than McCown? Petty? Hackenberg?

Bradford paired with a rookie would be fine.

I don’t agree.  As it looks right now we are going to end up with Josh Allen, who after his stellar career at Wyoming, is going to need some time to become accustomed to the pro game.

Having Bradford go on IR in September of year 1, will essentially ruin any chance the Jets have to develop Allen whatsoever.

Paying Keenum $60M for 3 years is what you need to do if you are going to end up with Josh Allen.

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

I don’t agree.  As it looks right now we are going to end up with Josh Allen, who after his stellar career at Wyoming, is going to need some time to become accustomed to the pro game.

Having Bradford go on IR will essentially ruin any chance the Jets have to develop Allen whatsoever.

Paying Keenum $60M for 3 years is what you need to do if you are going to end up with Josh Allen.

I think Allen goes before we go. I would not be surprised if the Giants take Josh Allen. Can sit him for a couple years to develop behind Eli.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think Allen goes before we go. I would not be surprised if the Giants take Josh Allen. Can sit him for a couple years to develop behind Eli.

I REALLY hope you are right.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Sam Bradford paired with a Baker Mayfield would be fine. Bradford would start, get hurt, and Mayfield would come in

Bradford is done he went on IR last season without even getting hit he has a degenerative knee.  Mayfield is a Mark Sanchez clone with Johnny Manziel’s attitude no thanks

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think Baker Mayfield will be the one that is last taken.

I’m not yet convinced that Todd Bowles would sign off on that pick.  And before anyone says that he is not the GM, the HC and the GM are on an even level of authority and taking someone at 6, it’s going to be a consensus.  I really doubt Mayfield will get that.  

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

I’m not yet convinced that Todd Bowles would sign off on that pick.  And before anyone says that he is not the GM, the HC and the GM are on an even level of authority and taking someone at 6, it’s going to be a consensus.  I really doubt Mayfield will get that.  

I don't think he will have a choice. He's not taking Fitzpatrick. If Chubb and Barkley are gone, who else does he take?

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

I wonder how Bridgewaters recovery is going.

It took him like 20 months to be cleared to practice and hasn’t taken a snap in two years, so I guess he’s a little behind schedule.

Honestly, it was such a horrific injury he’s lucky to even be considering playing.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Bradford is done he went on IR last season without even getting hit he has a degenerative knee.  Mayfield is a Mark Sanchez clone with Johnny Manziel’s attitude no thanks

Don't want Bradford and Mayfield is nowhere near what you describe him as. Its all moot as I doubt they take him if he is there at 6.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Even worse they are drafting Manziel 2.0

Mayfield would be one of the best case scenarios for the Jets. Such a lazy comparison. Mayfield has a really live arm, is accurate, and loves football. Could care less about the conservative fans that think he needs to stay in line. He's going to be great because of who he is. Even the former QBs at the combine couldn't believe how live his arm is. He's also the most accurate QB in the draft. His arm strength is better than Brees' arm strength. 

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The thing i find funny is that people are killing Rosen for being aloof but love the fact that mayfield is big friggin dick who sounds likes Adams before he is even drafted.

I prefer Josh Rosen, but maybe the Jets need some energy on that side of the ball. Rosen isn't going to be there most likely unless we trade into the 2 spot. The same people that trash Josh Allen for not being accurate, don't credit Mayfield for being highly accurate because he was acting like a college kid. Joe Namath was much worse - and he took NYC by storm. 

Jets could pursue QB Bridgewater if Cousins signs elsewhere

By Ralph Vacchiano | 8:12PM
  • Share:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Minnesota Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (Jeremy Brevard/USA TODAY Sports)
Minnesota Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (Jeremy Brevard/USA TODAY Sports)

RalphPic_93z5jd5l.pngRalph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

The Jets haven't given up on landing the biggest quarterback fish in the free-agent pool, but they are preparing in case it happens. They have an array of options mapped out if their "Plan A" fizzles and Kirk Cousins signs somewhere else.

And their "Plan B" could be interesting, especially if the "B" stands for Teddy Bridgewater.

If Bridgewater becomes a free agent (and there's some doubt about that at the moment), he could be the next best option on the open market, and an enticing one for the quarterback-starved Jets. He carries some obvious risks since he's still recovering from a devastating knee injury he suffered 19 months ago. But he's also only 25, already has 28 starts and a Pro Bowl on his resume, and was considered a rising star before he got hurt.

He would also cost the Jets far, far less than the $30 million per year and perhaps $90 million in guarantees that Cousins is seeking.

So if he's healthy -- a big "if" -- Bridgewater as a "Plan B" could be a steal.

"Teddy is a guy that two years ago played fantastic," Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said at the NFL scouting combine last week. "I thought he was a very ascending player and obviously had a terrible knee injury. Don't get to see him play in real, live action in basically two years, so there's the question with him."

That question, Zimmer said, is simple: "Is Teddy what he was?"

That's an interesting question the Jets will have to answer, especially since Bridgewater has attempted only two passes in the last two seasons. A Jets team source said Bridgewater is on the list of options they're considering, though the source wouldn't say if he's part of a Plan B, C or D. He's not the kind of ready-to-go answer to their quarterback question that Cousins is. But he could have more upside than other free agents, like his Vikings teammates Case Keenum or Sam Bradford, or soon-to-be former Bengal A.J. McCarron.

Other than his health, Bridgewater would seem to be less risky than the top quarterbacks in the draft. The Jets will have seen what he can do against NFL competition and they know he can handle the speed and other challenges of the pro game. There's no way they can be as sure about that with Wyoming's Josh Allen or Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield.

So the idea of signing Bridgewater -- and perhaps bringing 38-year-old Josh McCown back as a bridge and as his mentor -- makes a lot of sense.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Bridgewater was the last pick of the first round of the 2014 draft, and really was "an ascending player" in 2015. He completed 65.3 percent of his passes for 3,231 yards, 14 touchdowns and nine interceptions. The Vikings went 17-11 in his starts and looked set at quarterback for years.

But on Aug. 30, 2016, he suffered a gruesome, non-contact injury at a training camp practice and had to be rushed by ambulance to a local hospital. He suffered a torn ACL and a lot of other structural damage in his left knee. There were doubts if he would ever play again.

He progressed to the point where he was added to the Vikings roster in November, and on Dec. 17, in a 34-7 win over at home of the Cincinnati Bengals, Zimmer even got him into a game. He only threw two passes and one was picked off, but he got a rousing ovation from the crowd simply because he was back.

"This kid is a great competitor," Zimmer said. "He's got the heart of a lion, a champion. He's going to do everything he possibly can to be ready. I wouldn't have dressed the guy if I didn't think he was ready during the season. If we would have had to have him go in, I was comfortable in playing him.

"I'm hopeful for Teddy, No. 1, that he has an outstanding career. He's earned it. He's deserved it."

With the Vikings set to make a strong push to land Cousins, it appears Bridgewater's career will resume someplace else -- at least probably. That doubt has to do with a clause in the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement that says a player's contract "tolls" if he's on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list through the sixth game of the final season of his deal. Bridgewater was, which means the Vikings could retain him in 2018 at the same $1.354 million salary he made last year.

The NFL is expected to rule on that sometime this week. Most around the NFL expect the league will allow Bridgewater to become an unrestricted free agent.

And if he's free, he can't be ruled out for the Jets, especially if their fears are realized and Cousins ends up in Minnesota. They could take a short-term chance on him to see if he's healthy. They could even pair him with a quarterback from the draft. It would be a gamble, but the payoff could be enormous -- far bigger than any of the other free-agent options if Cousins is gone.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jets could pursue QB Bridgewater if Cousins signs elsewhere

By Ralph Vacchiano | 8:12PM
  • Share:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

RalphPic_93z5jd5l.pngRalph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

The Jets haven't given up on landing the biggest quarterback fish in the free-agent pool, but they are preparing in case it happens. They have an array of options mapped out if their "Plan A" fizzles and Kirk Cousins signs somewhere else.

And their "Plan B" could be interesting, especially if the "B" stands for Teddy Bridgewater.

If Bridgewater becomes a free agent (and there's some doubt about that at the moment), he could be the next best option on the open market, and an enticing one for the quarterback-starved Jets. He carries some obvious risks since he's still recovering from a devastating knee injury he suffered 19 months ago. But he's also only 25, already has 28 starts and a Pro Bowl on his resume, and was considered a rising star before he got hurt.

He would also cost the Jets far, far less than the $30 million per year and perhaps $90 million in guarantees that Cousins is seeking.

So if he's healthy -- a big "if" -- Bridgewater as a "Plan B" could be a steal.

"Teddy is a guy that two years ago played fantastic," Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said at the NFL scouting combine last week. "I thought he was a very ascending player and obviously had a terrible knee injury. Don't get to see him play in real, live action in basically two years, so there's the question with him."

That question, Zimmer said, is simple: "Is Teddy what he was?"

That's an interesting question the Jets will have to answer, especially since Bridgewater has attempted only two passes in the last two seasons. A Jets team source said Bridgewater is on the list of options they're considering, though the source wouldn't say if he's part of a Plan B, C or D. He's not the kind of ready-to-go answer to their quarterback question that Cousins is. But he could have more upside than other free agents, like his Vikings teammates Case Keenum or Sam Bradford, or soon-to-be former Bengal A.J. McCarron.

Other than his health, Bridgewater would seem to be less risky than the top quarterbacks in the draft. The Jets will have seen what he can do against NFL competition and they know he can handle the speed and other challenges of the pro game. There's no way they can be as sure about that with Wyoming's Josh Allen or Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield.

So the idea of signing Bridgewater -- and perhaps bringing 38-year-old Josh McCown back as a bridge and as his mentor -- makes a lot of sense.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Bridgewater was the last pick of the first round of the 2014 draft, and really was "an ascending player" in 2015. He completed 65.3 percent of his passes for 3,231 yards, 14 touchdowns and nine interceptions. The Vikings went 17-11 in his starts and looked set at quarterback for years.

But on Aug. 30, 2016, he suffered a gruesome, non-contact injury at a training camp practice and had to be rushed by ambulance to a local hospital. He suffered a torn ACL and a lot of other structural damage in his left knee. There were doubts if he would ever play again.

He progressed to the point where he was added to the Vikings roster in November, and on Dec. 17, in a 34-7 win over at home of the Cincinnati Bengals, Zimmer even got him into a game. He only threw two passes and one was picked off, but he got a rousing ovation from the crowd simply because he was back.

"This kid is a great competitor," Zimmer said. "He's got the heart of a lion, a champion. He's going to do everything he possibly can to be ready. I wouldn't have dressed the guy if I didn't think he was ready during the season. If we would have had to have him go in, I was comfortable in playing him.

"I'm hopeful for Teddy, No. 1, that he has an outstanding career. He's earned it. He's deserved it."

With the Vikings set to make a strong push to land Cousins, it appears Bridgewater's career will resume someplace else -- at least probably. That doubt has to do with a clause in the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement that says a player's contract "tolls" if he's on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list through the sixth game of the final season of his deal. Bridgewater was, which means the Vikings could retain him in 2018 at the same $1.354 million salary he made last year.

The NFL is expected to rule on that sometime this week. Most around the NFL expect the league will allow Bridgewater to become an unrestricted free agent.

And if he's free, he can't be ruled out for the Jets, especially if their fears are realized and Cousins ends up in Minnesota. They could take a short-term chance on him to see if he's healthy. They could even pair him with a quarterback from the draft. It would be a gamble, but the payoff could be enormous -- far bigger than any of the other free-agent options if Cousins is gone.

I'd actually be fine with this as long as we still drafted a QB with the 6th pick

2 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

I'd actually be fine with this as long as we still drafted a QB with the 6th pick

Could do worse than bridgewater and he is still young. Besides the health question, I’m not sure how his arm strength will play in the northeast. Reminds me of a Pennington-type player.

Archived