2017 Target Drop Pass Percentages among Top QB Prospects

Jetsfan80

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The excuse thrown around for Allen’s awfulness is that his supporting cast sucked, but his supporting cast dropped passes at half the rate of Jackson and Mayfield? 

He was also 8th out of 11 in completion percentage in the Mountain West, but in fairness to him, Kent Myers was surely throwing to at least three future All-Pros.

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The good news: his receivers didn’t drop as many passes

the bad news: he didn’t throw a lot of passes

Conclusion: Should definitely go first overall 

I don’t get it either. I think people see a big kid from a small school that nobody ever watches and think he’s going to be just like wentz

7 hours ago, Larz said:

Who else could drop the pass except the target? 

Can we just call this dropped passes? 

Sorry,  that bugged me lol

the PFF rankings also include throwaways, spikes, and things like passes when the QB was being hit as he throws- helpful for when you’re looking at prospects like rosen or jackson that were getting pressured more often 

N8or4cF.jpg

4AQAMCz.jpg

zPxUBuS.jpg

7 hours ago, cant wait said:

I think you have to factor in the offense too, that OU offense was so explosive it was like there was a wide open man on every play. kind of reminds me of when mariota was at oregon

I understand your point but feel like Chip Kelly’s Oregon spread was vastly different in play calling than OU. Lots of routes to induce success in YAC and such. OU opened it up slightly more and had less QB option plays. Baker was a pure passer with an ability to escape. I think Oregon had Mariota running by design a lot. Also think Baker had to throw into tighter windows and make touch passes more often which will help him later on in his career.  But I agree on the explosive part.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

So if I am reading this right, the QB's put THIS % of passes in a "catchable spot" either as a catch or a pass that was catchable and dropped:

Jackson - 67.6%
Mayfield - 78.5%
Rosen - 70.1%
Rudolph - 71.6%
Allen - 61.1%
Darnold - 67.4%

Is that the point being made?

I think its based on actual drops or passes that were officially ruled drops not what they perceive to be catchable balls

11 hours ago, HessStation said:

For me there's 4 QBs I'd be excited about that early so whichever way it goes. 

If 3 go off the bat then you trade up with Cleveland at 4...but Allen will be most likely one of those 3

Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, get one.

As the professional GM's that were are, let me throw some hypothetical sh*t at you.

What if your 4th rated QB is the only QB left on the board at #6?  Do you think taking the 4th ranked prospect at a position at #6 overall is a good idea?  I get it's different with a QB but still, it doesnt seem it when you say it out loud. 

I keep running that scenario in my head.  The Jets pull a Jets and fumble the Cousins situation, they fail to trade up and get their top rated or even 2nd rated prospect, so they stay put and end up settling for their 4th rated QB prospect at #6 because the draft falls that way.

Is that the right thing to do? Does that make sense?  Lets say it's Allen, is he really that much better than Jackson (if he falls) or Rudolph or Lauretta or Faulk?  Are any of them for that matter?  That's my biggest issue with this draft, I dont think the 2nd tier guys are that much worse than the 1st tier guys and settling for the 4th best prospect at a position with the #6 overall pick seems stupid.  Granted who cares if he pans out but how often is the 4th QB taken the best QB taken? 

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1.  Darnold

2.  Rosen

3.  Mayfield

4.  Jackson

5.  Teddy Bridgewater

6.  Kirk Cousins

7.  Mason Rudolph

8.  Case Keenum

9.  Sam Bradford

10.  Josh McCown

11.  Nick Foles

12.  Mark Sanchez

13.  Vinny Testaverde

14.  Geno Smith

15.  Ryan Fitzpatrick

174.  Josh Allen

Finally coming around to Geno > Fitz...

took you long enough. 

12 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'm getting concerned because I can make a case for and against each of those quarterbacks.  At this point, I'd take any one of them @ 6.  

I still think we should be chasing Cousins as plan A - namely because free agency comes first and he's the least risky option. 

I no longer think we should trade up.  Between those four quarterbacks, Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson as the worst case scenario, the sixth pick doesn't look so bad.  And I think that's due to Lamar Jackson.

We better not draft Allen...

I sort of fall in line with this though. Ideally Cousins goes to Denver and the Browns take Allen. If we have "a guy" then I would be mad if we didn't make the necessary moves to go up and get him, it's the whole reason we got the extra 2nd. If we are fine with any of the top 4 and Cousins went to Denver and Allen goes to the Browns then I 100% would sit at 6 because Rosen, Darnold or Baker should be there.

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Granted who cares if he pans out but how often is the 4th QB taken the best QB taken? 

I decided to answer my own question and I'm listing the 4th QB taken in the draft since 2003:

2017: DeShone Kizer - 2nd round pick

2016: Christian Hackenberg - 2nd round pick.  The only notable Qb taken after Hack was Prescott, in the 4th, unless your a Brissett fan he was taken in the 3rd.

2015:  Sean Mannion - 3rd round pick. Petty, Hundley and Seimian were the other QB's taken

2014: Derek Carr - 2nd round pick. Garappalo being the 5th but both were 2nd round QB's.  AJ McCarron was taken in the 5th. 

2013: Matt Barkley - 4th round pick.

2012: Brandon Weeden - 1st round pick  - Russell Wilson and Nick Foles in the 3rd, Kirk Cousins in the 4th

2011: Christian Ponder - 1st round pick - Andy Dalton in the 2nd, Kap in the 2nd. Tyrod Taylor in the 6th

2010: Colt McCoy - 3rd round pick

2009: Pat White - 2nd round pick

2008: Chad Henne - 2nd round pick

2007: John Beck - 2nd round pick

2006: Kellen Clemens - 2nd round pick

2005: Charlie Fry - 3rd round pick

2004: The Manning/Rivers/Big Ben - 4th QB taken JP Losman in the 1st round

2003:  Rex Grossman - 1st round

I went to 2004/2003 because those were 2 examples of 4 QB's taken in the 1st round.  Both were not very good even though it's crazy but Grossman actually led a team to a Super Bowl.  So weird saying that out loud. 

Moral to the story is, 4 times was the 4th QB selected was taken in the 1st round.  Those 4 QB's have overall been a sh*tty player: Grossman, Losman, Ponder, Weeden.  Whereas, the value in those drafts seem to come later after the top prospects were gone ie: Wilson, Cousin, Dalton, Taylor, Garaappalo, Prescott, Brissett.  

That's kind of a scary history.

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

I decided to answer my own question and I'm listing the 4th QB taken in the draft since 2003:

2017: DeShone Kizer - 2nd round pick

2016: Christian Hackenberg - 2nd round pick.  The only notable Qb taken after Hack was Prescott, in the 4th, unless your a Brissett fan he was taken in the 3rd.

2015:  Sean Mannion - 3rd round pick. Petty, Hundley and Seimian were the other QB's taken

2014: Derek Carr - 2nd round pick. Garappalo being the 5th but both were 2nd round QB's.  AJ McCarron was taken in the 5th. 

2013: Matt Barkley - 4th round pick.

2012: Brandon Weeden - 1st round pick  - Russell Wilson and Nick Foles in the 3rd, Kirk Cousins in the 4th

2011: Christian Ponder - 1st round pick - Andy Dalton in the 2nd, Kap in the 2nd. Tyrod Taylor in the 6th

2010: Colt McCoy - 3rd round pick

2009: Pat White - 2nd round pick

2008: Chad Henne - 2nd round pick

2007: John Beck - 2nd round pick

2006: Kellen Clemens - 2nd round pick

2005: Charlie Fry - 3rd round pick

2004: The Manning/Rivers/Big Ben - 4th QB taken JP Losman in the 1st round

2003:  Rex Grossman - 1st round

I went to 2004/2003 because those were 2 examples of 4 QB's taken in the 1st round.  Both were not very good even though it's crazy but Grossman actually led a team to a Super Bowl.  So weird saying that out loud. 

Moral to the story is, 4 times was the 4th QB selected was taken in the 1st round.  Those 4 QB's have overall been a sh*tty player: Grossman, Losman, Ponder, Weeden.  Whereas, the value in those drafts seem to come later after the top prospects were gone ie: Wilson, Cousin, Dalton, Taylor, Garaappalo, Prescott, Brissett.  

That's kind of a scary history.

I think this combined with Macc wanting to go BPA is exactly why we want Cousins so badly. IMO it's Cousins or move up as high as you can get. I don't like the idea of sitting at 6 especially if Cousins goes to Minnesota.

20 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think this combined with Macc wanting to go BPA is exactly why we want Cousins so badly. IMO it's Cousins or move up as high as you can get. I don't like the idea of sitting at 6 especially if Cousins goes to Minnesota.

Agreed.  I personally cant imagine Big Mac having 4 QB's ranked in the top 6 on his big board.  I would almost guarantee they're not.  And he's proven time and time again, he doesnt deviate even for a premium position so I cant imagine him taking the 4th best prospect at a position at #6.  Unless that player was rated higher than the guys taken before him...but again, I dont see that happening either.  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

As the professional GM's that were are, let me throw some hypothetical sh*t at you.

What if your 4th rated QB is the only QB left on the board at #6?  Do you think taking the 4th ranked prospect at a position at #6 overall is a good idea?  I get it's different with a QB but still, it doesnt seem it when you say it out loud. 

I keep running that scenario in my head.  The Jets pull a Jets and fumble the Cousins situation, they fail to trade up and get their top rated or even 2nd rated prospect, so they stay put and end up settling for their 4th rated QB prospect at #6 because the draft falls that way.

Is that the right thing to do? Does that make sense?  Lets say it's Allen, is he really that much better than Jackson (if he falls) or Rudolph or Lauretta or Faulk?  Are any of them for that matter?  That's my biggest issue with this draft, I dont think the 2nd tier guys are that much worse than the 1st tier guys and settling for the 4th best prospect at a position with the #6 overall pick seems stupid.  Granted who cares if he pans out but how often is the 4th QB taken the best QB taken? 

I think, for starters, if we were running the team they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. And the uniforms would be cooler. 

Im going to say that, as of today, personal rankings on those top four would be high enough to take any of the 4 at #6. We'd have to see how things shake out as we got closer as it's still too far away to try and consider trading up or down and final rankings. I like the second or third day options if Cousins were signed. 

51 minutes ago, JiF said:

In all seriousness, it could be. 

At least at this juncture, there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to the sequence of 1-2-3-4, and after the combine at the latest, a 5th looks in prime position to muddy that even further. It looks like there are 4-5 QBs and different teams will like different aspects of what each brings to the table, some placing more weight on some attributes and others placing more weight on other attributes. So one team's #1 is quite likely another's #3. In other words, it's entirely possible - and not far-fetched at all - that the #4 rated QB is the best of the bunch and not a reach at #6.

That's different than other years where the 4th-6th rated QB ends up being the best, but you could have also gotten him much later than #6 (e.g. Carr, Wilson, etc.). Except those later-taken prospects weren't considered top 10 overall prospects (certainly not in mid-February). Their ratings in their respective drafts were closer to Rudolph is today, where he could sneak into the bottom of round 1, but most think he should go in rounds 2-3 depending upon which team takes him. (e.g. if the Jets took Wilson, it'd have been in the middle of round 2 instead of trading up for Stephen Hill :bag:. Also I remember Nassib had chatter as a round 1-2 prospect, and he went to the Giants with the 110th pick even in a comparatively weak draft class). 
At least that's how it seems right now before the combine and pro days.

To get the 4th best QB in this draft will cost the #6 overall because he's (allegedly) a much higher-rated prospect than the 4th-best QB in other draft classes, plus a lack of so many other-worldly level prospects at other positions at the top of the draft. IMO when they're seriously talking about a guard at/around #6, by definition you're talking about a class that isn't heavily stacked up top.

It's actually not that uncommon for the 4th (or later) rated QB to be the best in his class. What's uncommon is for the 4th+ rated QB to also be a top 10 pick. It's what makes this QB class so special...or so they're telling us, lol.

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I think, for starters, if we were running the team they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. And the uniforms would be cooler. 

Im going to say that, as of today, personal rankings on those top four would be high enough to take any of the 4 at #6. We'd have to see how things shake out as we got closer as it's still too far away to try and consider trading up or down and final rankings. I like the second or third day options if Cousins were signed. 

Yeah, no sh*t.  We'd be like, what do we do with DeShaun Watson, Jimmy G is balling.  

Anywho, you have 4 QB's in your top 6?  Cray.  I dont. This would be our first internal battle as co-GM's.  My big board pre combine has 2 QB's in the top 10, Rosen and Darnold. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah, no sh*t.  We'd be like, what do we do with DeShaun Watson, Jimmy G is balling.  

Anywho, you have 4 QB's in your top 6?  Cray.  I dont. This would be our first internal battle as co-GM's.  My big board pre combine has 2 QB's in the top 10, Rosen and Darnold. 

It's still early and synergy would eventually take over.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In all seriousness, it could be. 

At least at this juncture, there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to the sequence of 1-2-3-4, and after the combine at the latest, a 5th looks in prime position to muddy that even further. It looks like there are 4-5 QBs and different teams will like different aspects of what each brings to the table, some placing more weight on some attributes and others placing more weight on other attributes. So one team's #1 is quite likely another's #3. In other words, it's entirely possible - and not far-fetched at all - that the #4 rated QB is the best of the bunch and not a reach at #6.

That's different than other years where the 4th-6th rated QB ends up being the best, but you could have also gotten him much later than #6 (e.g. Carr, Wilson, etc.). Except those later-taken prospects weren't considered top 10 overall prospects (certainly not in mid-February). Their ratings in their respective drafts were closer to Rudolph is today, where he could sneak into the bottom of round 1, but most think he should go in rounds 2-3 depending upon which team takes him. (e.g. if the Jets took Wilson, it'd have been in the middle of round 2 instead of trading up for Stephen Hill :bag:. Also I remember Nassib had chatter as a round 1-2 prospect, and he went to the Giants with the 110th pick even in a comparatively weak draft class). 
At least that's how it seems right now before the combine and pro days.

To get the 4th best QB in this draft will cost the #6 overall because he's (allegedly) a much higher-rated prospect than the 4th-best QB in other draft classes, plus a lack of so many other-worldly level prospects at other positions at the top of the draft. IMO when they're seriously talking about a guard at/around #6, by definition you're talking about a class that isn't heavily stacked up top.

It's actually not that uncommon for the 4th (or later) rated QB to be the best in his class. What's uncommon is for the 4th+ rated QB to also be a top 10 pick. It's what makes this QB class so special...or so they're telling us, lol.

I would agree, this is a weak draft class.  The most "cant miss" prospects are a RB and Guard.  Which means it's not that rich of a draft.  And I guess that is my issue, I'm just not sold on any of the top QB's.  Like at all.  They all scare the sh*t out of me.  And the thought of taking the 4th best of the group (at least how the draft dictate their rankings) is frightening.  As I've shown above, history isnt kind to the 4th QB selected and the draft class being weak, could lead more to why 4 QB's are being mocked in the top 10 and not so much how good they actually are at playing QB.  

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  I personally cant imagine Big Mac having 4 QB's ranked in the top 6 on his big board.  I would almost guarantee they're not.  And he's proven time and time again, he doesnt deviate even for a premium position so I cant imagine him taking the 4th best prospect at a position at #6.  Unless that player was rated higher than the guys taken before him...but again, I dont see that happening either.  

Nelson or Minkah. If he signs Cousins he'll take one of those 2 at #6. A guard or a S/CB 'tweener.

And further, it'll happen with 1-2 more QBs on the board that other teams were willing to trade up to get. 

He seems to get lost in who's the highest-rated player rather than who's the most valuable difference-maker to a pro franchise. Drafting even a merely top-15 QB is more valuable than drafting a top 3 safety, and at least thus far, this obvious reality seems to have escaped him. So we'll draft a safety and throw 9 figures guaranteed at Kirk Cousins. 

I figure as a fan it'll spare me from watching him draft another Petty/Hackenberg.

Deadator+used+roll+picturedeadator+rolle 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I would agree, this is a weak draft class.  The most "cant miss" prospects are a RB and Guard.  Which means it's not that rich of a draft.  And I guess that is my issue, I'm just not sold on any of the top QB's.  Like at all.  They all scare the sh*t out of me.  And the thought of taking the 4th best of the group (at least how the draft dictate their rankings) is frightening.  As I've shown above, history isnt kind to the 4th QB selected and the draft class being weak, could lead more to why 4 QB's are being mocked in the top 10 and not so much how good they actually are at playing QB.  

No doubt, but history doesn't "typically" rate the #4 QB at or inside the top 10 either.

1999 #4 QB was Culpepper at #11. 2011 #4 QB was Ponder at #12. Even in that storied 1983 class, the 4th QB taken was technically in the bottom half of round 1, with only Elway taken in the top 6. 

But for the prior 2 - 1999 especially - one could certainly argue the painful lesson is seeing what you want to see in the likes of Akili Smith meant passing on top 10 picks Edge James, Ricky, Holt, Bailey, pre-juice Boston, McAlister. The least valuable non-QB in that top 10 was Chris Claiborne (hardly tragic), and nobody touched an interior lineman in the top half of that round, never mind anywhere near the top 5.

The question is: are these 4 (maybe 5) really top 10 prospects, or is the weakness of this draft up top pushing them into the top 10. Hard to say, because this was projected to be a super-strong QB class a year ago without taking into account the value of the non-QBs of the class. If anything, there's been a lot of relative disappointment in their 2017 seasons (except Mayfield, of course). 

Thing is, while no one's taking either in the top 10, and likely not in round 1 outright, is it that impossible to imagine 1 of the 3rd-4th tier prospects from this class as pro bowlers in a few years? And I think that's what you're getting at. The difference is those tiers aren't the types a team will go all-in with (starting with free agency). More likely a team would be a pairing of AJ McCarron and then pulling the trigger on someone between Falk and Ferguson in rounds 3-6, with the hopes one of them becomes all that. The likelihood being that neither will, but at least they're doubling up on their chances, and they're not too heavily invested in either, so a 1st round pick the following year could be entirely reasonable. 

14 hours ago, HessStation said:

I'm all in for the gamble. I don't care. I don't want Cousins. I almost consider it, that on a karmic level, this sh*tbag team needs to find its own identity and draft a ******* QB that you can establish yourselves with for the next 15 years instead of somebody else's guy. I really don't care about risk. You're a ******* NFL franchise with all the resources to figure out which guy. ******* draft him and maybe for once, odds alone, that you maybe can blind squirrel it.

I understand your anguish here.  I really want the same thing as you, but have no confidence this regime can do it.  Unfortunately, my distrust in Mac for picking the right guy combined with my certainty that Bowles and his coaching staff not only will fail to develop a rookie, but also will absolutely ruin him over the next few years are pushing me straight to Cousins. 

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I understand your anguish here.  I really want the same thing as you, but have no confidence this regime can do it.  Unfortunately, my distrust in Mac for picking the right guy combined with my certainty that Bowles and his coaching staff not only will fail to develop a rookie, but also will absolutely ruin him over the next few years are pushing me straight to Cousins. 

Understandable. I'm still all in for blind squirreling it at this point.

my lack of faith in the regime is separate from this. My lack of faith is them regardless of who the QB is. Cousins or the pick. 

48 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No doubt, but history doesn't "typically" rate the #4 QB at or inside the top 10 either.

1999 #4 QB was Culpepper at #11. 2011 #4 QB was Ponder at #12. Even in that storied 1983 class, the 4th QB taken was technically in the bottom half of round 1, with only Elway taken in the top 6. 

But for the prior 2 - 1999 especially - one could certainly argue the painful lesson is seeing what you want to see in the likes of Akili Smith meant passing on top 10 picks Edge James, Ricky, Holt, Bailey, pre-juice Boston, McAlister. The least valuable non-QB in that top 10 was Chris Claiborne (hardly tragic), and nobody touched an interior lineman in the top half of that round, never mind anywhere near the top 5.

The question is: are these 4 (maybe 5) really top 10 prospects, or is the weakness of this draft up top pushing them into the top 10. Hard to say, because this was projected to be a super-strong QB class a year ago without taking into account the value of the non-QBs of the class. If anything, there's been a lot of relative disappointment in their 2017 seasons (except Mayfield, of course). 

Thing is, while no one's taking either in the top 10, and likely not in round 1 outright, is it that impossible to imagine 1 of the 3rd-4th tier prospects from this class as pro bowlers in a few years? And I think that's what you're getting at. The difference is those tiers aren't the types a team will go all-in with (starting with free agency). More likely a team would be a pairing of AJ McCarron and then pulling the trigger on someone between Falk and Ferguson in rounds 3-6, with the hopes one of them becomes all that. The likelihood being that neither will, but at least they're doubling up on their chances, and they're not too heavily invested in either, so a 1st round pick the following year could be entirely reasonable. 

Exactly.  I've been of the opinion since this time last year that people were way over hyping this QB class.  I think I was right, despite the mocks of potentially 4 top 10 QB's and possibly 5-6 RD 1 QB's.  If we passed on all 4, I wouldnt have the feeling of anguish I had when we passed on Watson/Mahomes who I think were special talents much more so than this class. 

Which lands me firmly in the, go get Cousins camp if we dont have to guarantee something ridiculous because I dont trust this regime one bit.  And now it has me leaning toward something everyone would hate if we dont get Cousins because it's been this regime's strategy year to date...take a 2nd RD/3rd RD guy because I'm not sure the difference between Darnold>Rosen>Mayfiled>Allen>Jackson>Rudolph>Lauretta>Faulk>White are really all that drastic.

I guess I'm starting to lean toward BAP at #6 + one of Jackson/Rudolph/Lauretta/Faulk/White might be better than say...Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield and some roster fodder because Mac cant find talent outside of having a player fall to him at #6.

The only other issue with either strategy that doesnt involve acquiring Kirk Cousins is the Todd Bowles neutering of his young QB's factor. 

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Yeah there are 3 QB’s I’m willing to take at #6 Rosen, Darnold, and Jackson.  After that my 4th rates QB right now is Lauletta, and definitely wait till 2nd round to snatch him up, and draft a top rated player at another position I’m definitely on board with that.

51 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah there are 3 QB’s I’m willing to take at #6 Rosen, Darnold, and Jackson.  After that my 4th rates QB right now is Lauletta, and definitely wait till 2nd round to snatch him up, and draft a top rated player at another position I’m definitely on board with that.

Man, I dont even know anymore.  I'm back and forth and back and forth.  I even started entertaining Mayfield at 6 and you know that disgusts me.

Honestly, the only one I feel really comfortable with is Rosen and he might be an injury prone basket case.

I'm warming up to Jackson from not really wanting anything to do with him at all but not to where I'd take him at #6.  Still got a way to go though.

Archived