Colin Cowherd: Cousins should avoid Jets

Patriot Killa

On 2/21/2018 at 12:16 PM, Paradis said:

there's just something about a hired gun that doesn't yield the same long term respect. It's like saying ok, so the best we could do on our own was fcking hackenberg so we have to pay someone to "temporarily" elevate us. 

This is where you lose me.  I don't care how we win, I just want to win.  I don't care about the long term respect -- I just want to see my team win at least once.  I have been watching this team for 50 years waiting and hoping for us to win again.  I went to two consecutive road AFCCG only to see us fall short.  I want to know what it is like to walk out of an NFL Stadium as a Champion.  It would not have diminished the excitement at all in 1998 had we won with Vinny and it would not diminish it in my mind it we win with Cousins.  Does not matter to me if we win behind Cousins or Mayfield or Allen or Rosen or Darnold or a guy who is still in college or even high school.  I might draw the line at grade school since i am not getting any younger.

I just want to fvcking win.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is where you lose me.  I don't care how we win, I just want to win.  I don't care about the long term respect -- I just want to see my team win at least once.  I have been watching this team for 50 years waiting and hoping for us to win again.  I went to two consecutive road AFCCG only to see us fall short.  I want to know what it is like to walk out of an NFL Stadium as a Champion.  It would not have diminished the excitement at all in 1998 had we won with Vinny and it would not diminish it in my mind it we win with Cousins.  Does not matter to me if we win behind Cousins or Mayfield or Allen or Rosen or Darnold or a guy who is still in college or even high school.  I might draw the line at grade school since i am not getting any younger.

well, when you put it like that... lol. I know. I get it... maybe being only 38 i still have a few years left before i enter into the "God damn, just win before i die" phase. I wish i liked Kirk more, that would make this easier. If he signs with us, like the rest of us, this degree of hesitation will dissipate within hours. Hard to let go of the Rosen, Mayfield dream right now

I should be used to not getting what i want by now.

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

I take it now would not a good time to talk about this past years national championship game?  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

well, when you put it like that... lol. I know. I get it... maybe being only 38 i still have a few years left before i enter into the "God damn, just win before i die" phase. I wish i liked Kirk more, that would make this easier. If he signs with us, like the rest of us, this degree of hesitation will dissipate within hours. Hard to let go of the Rosen, Mayfield dream right now

I should be used to not getting what i want by now.

I'm near 60. I have entered the geriatric point of view phase for the Jets.  We have the cap space.  We are not projected to be anything close to cap-strapped for several years going forward and the cap has been rising exponentially every year. 

So, as aptly put by O-Ren Ishii in Kill Bill: "Now is the #$*%# Time!"

I'd punch that azzhole Cowherd right in his skinny azz face but I wouldn't want to cut my hand..like punching the blade of an axe.

I heard Kimberly Martin talking Cousins too & she made the same claim, "well, he has much more chance with the Broncos to win right away", lol. Didn't people want Osweiller to start the playoff games in their Super Bowl year?

Now they lose 8 straight & its all about the QB, lol.

The Jets are NOT going to be the same Jets with the same weaknesses in 2018. Not with the money they have & 3 picks in the top 50. I would LOVE to sign Cousins & trade BACK,and still land Quenton Nelson! 

Then you could grab Michel/Jones or Guice? & a pass rushing OLB with your 2 twos, Maybe another 2 from trading back? If that happened I'd grab Haydon Hurst & sign Trey Burton. I wouldn't draft a WR, I'd sign a free agent or trade for M. Bryant. (With Cousins in the fold you want WRs balling from opening day)

So with a trade back: 1- Nelson, 2A- Haydon Hurst, 2B- Sony Michel, 2C- James Daniels, 3- Harold Landry

Free Agency: Cousins- Dion Lewis- Sammy Watkins, EJ Gaines, Patrick Robinson, Trey Burton,  Not sexy but really solid.

Cousins would have Watkins- Kearse- Anderson- Hansen Stewart @ WR

He would have Burton- Hurst- Leggett- Sterling at TE

He would have Michel- Lewis- McGuire at RB

Beachum- Nelson- Daniels- Winters- Shell as the starting oline.

Resign Clairborne- Demario Davis

Let ASJ walk & cut Carpenter, Mo Wilkerson & Buster Skrine

Secondary- Gaines- Clairborne- Robinson (inside slot CB)

Edge rushers: Landry, Donahue, Xavier Cooper

* I think if Macc could come anywhere near this the Jets could have huge turn around.

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm near 60. I have entered the geriatric point of view phase for the Jets.  We have the cap space.  We are not projected to be anything close to cap-strapped for several years going forward and the cap has been rising exponentially every year. 

So, as aptly put by O-Ren Ishii in Kill Bill: "Now is the #$*%# Time!"

I'm in the same boat. See my ideas above. Its time to DO THE RIGHT THING. 

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Your Bulldogs are like, dude, you were there in Atlanta when we won the SEC. ;-)

Favre had the team at 8-3 and was playing really well and then he got injured. He probably shouldn't have been out there but he wanted to keep his streak going and it hurt the team. Favre was playing well for the Jets and they were hitting their stride with back to back wins in New England and in Tennessee against a team that I believe was 10-0 at the time. 

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Favre had the team at 8-3 and was playing really well and then he got injured. He probably shouldn't have been out there but he wanted to keep his streak going and it hurt the team. Favre was playing well for the Jets and they were hitting their stride with back to back wins in New England and in Tennessee against a team that I believe was 10-0 at the time. 

Probably would of went 12-4 or 13-3 that year that year and challenged for the division if he would of stayed injury free.

17 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I agree that Cowherd is an idiot .. but this was kind of idiotic as well. Lol there is really no numbers or reason to think this is true. He gets pretty decent ratings.

Cowherd is ridiculously overpaid considering his show’s viewership on Fox Sports.  He averages 92,000 viewers, more than 10,000 less than he did on ESPN.  His ratings are so low the Nielsen ratings books give his show a “scratch” meaning it doesn’t even qualify to give a ratings share so so much for “pretty good.”  Even a comment like that Cousins shouldn’t sign with the Jets reeks of trolling to try to get attention from the country’s biggest market for a failing tv show

Of Cowherd’s 92,000 viewers,  most of them are unemployed or kids with the day off from school so they can’t even bill much for commercials because his viewers have limited purchase ability.  Meanwhile he has a $6 million annual salary 

13 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He did NOT play well for us, he held us back.  He had 3-4 decent-good games all season to that point, he was the ironman.  he would play through anything.  His injury did not hold the team back, his mindset on using the Jets as a layover to Minnesota held the team back.

He did play well at NE and ok at Tennessee and it was his only good stretch of football all season at that time BUT he supposedly got hurt in October then had his only good stretch in November.  The injury is nothing more than an excuse. 

The only game we won in the last 5 we needed our defense to score a TD in the final minutes against Buffalo.

13 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Probably would of went 12-4 or 13-3 that year that year and challenged for the division if he would of stayed injury free.

or we would have went 12-4/13-3 if we didn't make the trade and kept Chad who won 11 games w/ a team that had half the talent of the Jets.

Brett had a million injuries throughout his career, kept playing and mostly kept winning.  His arm may not have been typical Favre but it was his head not arm that cost us.  He was still doing the same dumb things in December he did early in the year and he killed us.

w/ all this said Favre has nothing to do w/ us getting Cousins.  Favre was a 1 year thing(and we hoped we could convince him to stay for 2-3 but he never wanted to be here for even 1) at the end of his career while Cousins would be a long term solution w/ a QB in his prime. Kirk Cousins is not Brett favre but Kirk Cousins at this stage is a much better fit than Brett favre 2008.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

He did NOT play well for us, he held us back.  He had 3-4 decent-good games all season to that point, he was the ironman.  he would play through anything.  His injury did not hold the team back, his mindset on using the Jets as a layover to Minnesota held the team back.

He did play well at NE and ok at Tennessee and it was his only good stretch of football all season at that time BUT he supposedly got hurt in October then had his only good stretch in November.  The injury is nothing more than an excuse. 

The only game we won in the last 5 we needed our defense to score a TD in the final minutes against Buffalo.

or we would have went 12-4/13-3 if we didn't make the trade and kept Chad who won 11 games w/ a team that had half the talent of the Jets.

Brett had a million injuries throughout his career, kept playing and mostly kept winning.  His arm may not have been typical Favre but it was his head not arm that cost us.  He was still doing the same dumb things in December he did early in the year and he killed us.

w/ all this said Favre has nothing to do w/ us getting Cousins.  Favre was a 1 year thing(and we hoped we could convince him to stay for 2-3 but he never wanted to be here for even 1) at the end of his career while Cousins would be a long term solution w/ a QB in his prime. Kirk Cousins is not Brett favre but Kirk Cousins at this stage is a much better fit than Brett favre 2008.

A nickname is great. But it doesn't mean a guy can play through anything. He had a torn bicep. That will effect any players ability to play. This isn't "Any Given Sunday" or some sports movie. Injuries effect players. He shouldn't have been out there. 

He was playing very well before he got injured. I didn't say he was great from start to finish. The team was hitting it's stride with back to back wins against NE and Tennessee and then fell apart.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:15 AM, The Crusher said:

Yep. He was killing it before that. But that would just ruin the article.

Farve hated playing here which definitely affected his performance. But in defense of  the article, Farve wasn’t surrounded by a stable team. Ultimately, Farve’s playing streak ended with the Jets inability to protect him. Cohwerd stresses STABILITY. Hard to argue when the Jets were last stable. Probably under Parcells for the little time he was here. It’s a valid reason NOT to spend all that money on Cousins.  Talent level on this team is da pits. And Mac has not proven himself to be a wizard at drafting or signing competent FA’s. This could backfire badly. 

5 minutes ago, BigO said:

Farve hated playing here which definitely affected his performance. But in defense of  the article, Farve wasn’t surrounded by a stable team. Ultimately, Farve’s playing streak ended with the Jets inability to protect him. Cohwerd stresses STABILITY. Hard to argue when the Jets were last stable. Probably under Parcells for the little time he was here. It’s a valid reason NOT to spend all that money on Cousins.  Talent level on this team is da pits. And Mac has not proven himself to be a wizard at drafting or signing competent FA’s. This could backfire badly. 

Favre's playing streak didn't end until 2 years after he left the Jets.  **** that degenerate carpet bagger.

8 minutes ago, BigO said:

The same reasoning applies to drafting a QB.  Can't trust Bowles to play him or develop him and can't trust Mac to surround him with weapons.  Mac has shown he is lame at drafting and also lame with UFAs. So who has a better chance of overcoming that incredible downside of the Jets?  A rookie QB or an established veteran QB?   THis is why you try like heck to bring Cousins in. The rookie would suffer more from the incompetent hands of Bowles and Mac than would Cousins.

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The same reasoning applies to drafting a QB.  Can't trust Bowles to play him or develop him and can't trust Mac to surround him with weapons.  Mac has shown he is lame at drafting and also lame with UFAs. So who has a better chance of overcoming that incredible downside of the Jets?  A rookie QB or an established veteran QB?   THis is why you try like heck to bring Cousins in. The rookie would suffer more from the incompetent hands of Bowles and Mac than would Cousins.

It’s all moot either way - Cousins or elite QB prospect. Until these two hasbeens are gone, this franchise will be stuck in neutral. 

4 minutes ago, BigO said:

He was injured and missed the last quarter of the season with us.

Your memory is flawed.  Are you talking about Favre or McCown? 

Week 13@ SF 21 of 30 137 yards 1 INT

Week 14 v BUF 17 of 30 207 yards 1 TD, 2 INTs

Week 15@ SEA 18 of 31 for 187 with 2 INTs

Week 16 v Miami 20 of 40 for 233, 1 TD and 3 INTs.  

Was somebody else wearing #4 and throwing all those INTs?  He threw one to Phil Merling for crying out loud.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I don't agree with this at all. Why would you think Bowles would develop a QB? It's not his expertise or even his job. The QB coach and offensive coordinator do all the heavy lifting unless that is the coach's expertise. There would be zero defensive coaches in the league that would be in charge of developing a QB. I, one of many Jets fans, don't want to settle for a slightly above average QB instead of building a young team the correct way and have a shot at 10+ years of winning and having the chance of a higher ceiling at QB. Making the playoffs is not good enough for me, I want to win a Super Bowl. A big no to Cousins when we can grab a rookie that will cost much less AND have a great chance at being a better QB and for much longer. No guts no glory.

20 minutes ago, BigO said:

Ultimately that’s why no way in hell Kirk comes here.  Nope. With Macc in charge this roster is a damn sink hole. 

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Your memory is flawed.  Are you talking about Favre or McCown?  Was somebody else wearing #4 and throwing all those INTs? 

My bad. He was badly hurt though midway through the season. It’s no wonder why he didnt want to play here and jumped ship the following year.

Just now, Greensleeves said:

I don't agree with this at all. Why would you think Bowles would develop a QB? It's not his expertise or even his job. The QB coach and offensive coordinator do all the heavy lifting unless that is the coach's expertise. There would be zero defensive coaches in the league that would be in charge of developing a QB. I, one of many Jets fans, don't want to settle for a slightly above average QB instead of building a young team the correct way and have a shot at 10+ years of winning and having the chance of a higher ceiling at QB. Making the playoffs is not good enough for me, I want to win a Super Bowl. A big no to Cousins when we can grab a rookie that will cost much less AND have a great chance at being a better QB and for much longer. No guts no glory.

by Bowles, I mean Bowles and his entire offensive coaching group. Not him personally.  He and his staff have shown zero ability to develop young talent. I don't trust him or any of his people, including Bates, to develop a rookie.

Just now, BigO said:

My bad. He was badly hurt but though midway through the season. It’s no wonder why he fidnt want to play here and jumped ship the following year.

He never wanted to play here. He was always angling to play for Minnesota.  That is why Green Bay had to put all those clauses in the deal and why we couldn't trade him. 

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

i was wondering when the QB dumbass would show up on this topic. 

1 minute ago, peebag said:

No...that was the problem.  He was injured and kept playing.  Supposedly an injured Brett Farve was better than a healthy Kellen Clemens.

The post is about a team’s STABILITY not about Farve’s stability. Farve came to the Jets in a desperate move by both parties. And is was fun while it lasted but ultimately this sh*thole team collapsed under his direction. Cowherd is 100% correct in suggesting Cousins stay clear of the Jets. Cousins is a smart kid. No way he even entertains coming here. It’s either Minny or Denver. 

IMO, his injury was a bit of smoke and mirrors.  The Jets never put him on the injury report (they were eventually fined) and they supposedly couldn't pinpoint when it happened.  After he left it was floated as the excuse for all his ills, but I am far from sure that it happened against the Broncos. That just happened to be when it went off the rails.  He laid some eggs earlier in the season too.  His performance against the Raiders was a memorable abomination - he was healthy and outdueled by JaMarcus ******* Russell. 

5 minutes ago, BigO said:

The post is about a team’s STABILITY not about Farve’s stability. Farve came to the Jets in a desperate move by both parties. And is was fun while it lasted but ultimately this sh*thole team collapsed under his direction. Cowherd is 100% correct in suggesting Cousins stay clear of the Jets. Cousins is a smart kid. No way he even entertains coming here. It’s either Minny or Denver. 

Smart kids take the most guaranteed money.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Smart kids take the most guaranteed money.

Money will not be a problem for him. Stability is. He’s already filthy rich. He wants to win and be surrounded by a winning culture. And when he wins, it’s only going to skyrocket his value later in his career. 

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

A nickname is great. But it doesn't mean a guy can play through anything. He had a torn bicep. That will effect any players ability to play. This isn't "Any Given Sunday" or some sports movie. Injuries effect players. He shouldn't have been out there. 

He was playing very well before he got injured. I didn't say he was great from start to finish. The team was hitting it's stride with back to back wins against NE and Tennessee and then fell apart.

did he play? he gets evaluated on his play and he was terrible.  even when supposed healthy early in that season he wasn't good outside of the 1 game vs. Arizona.

44 minutes ago, BigO said:

Favre was surrounded by a lot of talent that year, most of that talent would reach the AFC Championship game the next year w/ a rookie QB(minus 2 of our best players who would get hurt in 2009). Obviously the talent on this team isn't like 2008-2010 but we have some building blocks, high picks in each round and a boatload of cap room.  This team is not far off from competing if they make the right moves this offseason.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

IMO, his injury was a bit of smoke and mirrors.  The Jets never put him on the injury report (they were eventually fined) and they supposedly couldn't pinpoint when it happened.  After he left it was floated as the excuse for all his ills, but I am far from sure that it happened against the Broncos. That just happened to be when it went off the rails.  He laid some eggs earlier in the season too.  His performance against the Raiders was a memorable abomination - he was healthy and outdueled by JaMarcus ******* Russell. 

He supposedly got hurt in October, his only good stretch of football came in November.  The injury was nothing more than an excuse.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/10/is_age_catching_up_to_brett_fa.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/brett-favre-arm-game-short-article-1.301295

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

did he play? he gets evaluated on his play and he was terrible.  even when supposed healthy early in that season he wasn't good outside of the 1 game vs. Arizona.

He played and was terrible. He shouldn't have been out there. That's my point. I'm not lifting blame off of him. He should have sat.

We were 8-3 at one point in the season with Brett Favre and knocked off a 10-0 team in their building. Was he vintage Favre? No. But to act like he wasn't good at all just isn't being fair. He was up and down. The Favre experiment didn't work out, but he had the team at 8-3 before it completely fell apart. Let's not act like he was horrendous week in and week out. That's simply not accurate.

Archived