MMQB Draft Thoughts with Gil Brandt

Gangrene

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

They know we want a QB , why would they trade to 3 when they can pick their guy 4th.

Exactly , they wouldn't. Dorsey's not stupid. They'd call our bluff.

Just wishful thinking on a posters part.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I will continue to maintain my rankings.

Darnold

Rosen

MASSIVE GRAND CANYON LIKE GAP

Allen / Mayfield

The Jets traded up to the wrong side of the grand canyon.

They didn't have much of a choice.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hell no.. it’s Rosen or Mayfield. Rosen is the best but Mayfield does have the work ethic and balance to become a good-great player.

i think most jets would be happy with either.  still, for all of allen's issues, he was still ranked no. 4 qb of this draft class.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think most jets would be happy with either.  still, for all of allen's issues, he was still ranked no. 4 qb of this draft class.

rankings are only as good as the criteria.  the concept of 'upside' is probably heavily factored into it.  

the more we read about everyone's concerns about allen, the more likely that he is the one who falls out of the top 5.  i also think mccagnan traded up to avoid having to deal with the prospect of taking allen and having to sit him most of the season.  i'll say it again, mccagnan didn't trade 4 premium picks to draft a qb who needs that much work.  we're getting rosen or mayfield, and that's pretty cool.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I dont see how Darnold, Mayfield, and Rosen arent all grouped together. There isnt a clear cut guy. Darnold outperformed Rosen in pretty much every statistical category in the same conference. Both guys take terrible sacks. Rosen getting hurt every time he gets hit is a huge red flag.

Just my opinion brother. I think Darnold is reckless with the ball, not just for the ints, but lots of fumbles. College kids are gonna throw picks, but the fumbles can be a career long problem.

Also, I like Rosen’s IQ better. He played in 3 different schemes, all with pro concepts and excelled in all. Darnold’s scheme (not his fault, but it is fact) was very simplistic and loaded with bubble screens and long handoffs. Not saying Darnold can’t be good, but I’m telling you why I rate Rosen better.

Next up is deep ball accuracy. Rosen has a better arm than Darnold. I watched every game that these two started. I rate Rosen as one of the best prospects in more than a decade.

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

rankings are only as good as the criteria.  the concept of 'upside' is probably heavily factored into it.  

the more we read about everyone's concerns about allen, the more likely that he is the one who falls out of the top 5.  i also think mccagnan traded up to avoid having to deal with the prospect of taking allen and having to sit him most of the season.  i'll say it again, mccagnan didn't trade 4 premium picks to draft a qb who needs that much work.  we're getting rosen or mayfield, and that's pretty cool.

i tend to agree.  that's why i'm wary about having mccown starting the season.  imo they need a definite plan to get the rookie in there.

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yeah, Mehta tweeted that 2 days ago

right. 

the jets should bring him in, b/c it could help entice a team to trade to #2 if they really want allen.  that's probably a best case for the jets - the bills trade up for allen, who has a high bust potential, the giants pass on rosen and the jets can take the qb they want, whoever that is.

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Brandt’s order is spot on:

Rosen , Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson.

I’d say theres a gap between Rosen and the rest. Rosen is the clear #1.

Darnold and Mayfield are more like 2A/2B to me.

Allen and Jackson are both first round talents that have boom or bust. 

What does not come out in that interview, but which Brandt states on Sirius all the time, is that he thinks the Top 3 are all future Pro Bowl type QBs in the NFL and he does view this draft as the next 1983. The way that King chooses his quotes makes it seem like he has Rosen far ahead but that is not true. He does like Rosen the best. He also thinks Allen can be the best of all the QBs but he needs to be drafted into the right type of situation to develop (ie, not the Jets)

I still maintain the Jets have Baker #1 with Rosen as option #2.

55 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Wait.  Is that true? Canceled or rescheduled?

Josh Allen will indeed be coming to the @NYJets facility for a pre-draft visit after NYJ held a private workout in Wyoming last week http://nydn.us/2GAJ5hG 

DaQkwOjVwAEf01C.jpg
10 replies6 retweets20 likes

2 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

Gil Brandt is one of the most knowledgeable football guys around. His opinion certainly should be highly respected. 

But, for all his insight, evaluating  player development is still an educated guess. Is Gil right, more than wrong? Absolutely. But, even he gets it wrong sometime.

I recall the article he wrote for NFL.com in March of 2014 titled:

“GENO SMITH WILL SHOW HE IS THE NY JETS ANSWER AT QUARTERBACK”

You just never know.

Here's the thing with Geno. He actually started off really well, but we did not have the staff to develop him properly. He may have become very good with a better coaching situation like the Rams and Eagles have, but he is what he is now.

Which of course is the worrisome thing with whomever we draft because I still do not see the development structure for the QB we need and that might doom our pick. Bowles should never ever be the coach of a team with a Top 5 developmental QB talent. He has no interest in developing him or starting him. Bowles will limit our picks reps, start McClown and once the season starts will be completely ignored. In fact, our rookie future QB will likely get the least snaps in TC, UNLESS management steps in and tells him that he is starting. TBH this is one of the reasons why I like Mayfield more. I think he can be the guy that comes along, gets the team behind him and forces the issue for him to play.

Signing McClown was another colossal half measure mistake by the Jets. 

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Here's the thing with Geno. He actually started off really well, but we did not have the staff to develop him properly. He may have become very good with a better coaching situation like the Rams and Eagles have, but he is what he is now.

Which of course is the worrisome thing with whomever we draft because I still do not see the development structure for the QB we need and that might doom our pick. Bowles should never ever be the coach of a team with a Top 5 developmental QB talent. He has no interest in developing him or starting him. Bowles will limit our picks reps, start McClown and once the season starts will be completely ignored. In fact, our rookie future QB will likely get the least snaps in TC, UNLESS management steps in and tells him that he is starting. TBH this is one of the reasons why I like Mayfield more. I think he can be the guy that comes along, gets the team behind him and forces the issue for him to play.

Signing McClown was another colossal half measure mistake by the Jets. 

Geno had all the tools but not the maturity, which was a concern coming into the draft. I agree that with the Rex/Idzik debacle he likely wasn't coached the best but Geno has proven that no matter the coaches, his career would have likely ended up the same way. 

Who is he? Rosen?
Because not to be the man’s personal excuse maker or anything but DAMN..let’s just not act like there are 5 Josh Rosen’s lined up in front of Josh Rosen.
Kolton Miller is a Rd 1 left tackle. The center quessenberry will be drafted too. The ucla line has guys that would start for the Jets

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Kolton Miller is a Rd 1 left tackle. The center quessenberry will be drafted too. The ucla line has guys that would start for the Jets

LOL. He is a first round pick because combine numbers and post/college season hype. His film is not good enough to warrant a first round selection and Quessenberry’s is WORSE. 

Saying that because a player is going to get drafted isn’t saying that he’s good. I think out of all the draft blunder’s the Jets have drafted, you oughta’ know that.

I knew someone would hit me with that “Miller is a 1st round tackle.” crap.

C’mon now. Do better.?

LOL. He is a first round pick because combine numbers and post/college season hype. His film is not good enough to warrant a first round selection and Quessenberry’s is WORSE. 
Saying that because a player is going to get drafted isn’t saying that he’s good. I think out of all the draft blunder’s the Jets have drafted, you oughta’ know that.
C’mon now. Do better.

Rosen has not finished a season healthy since 2015. He's a rich man Chadwick.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

The Jets cancelled Allen’s visit to Florham Park. Idk what that means but it happened. Mayfield is in house today and Rosen is in later this week.

They could already know they want him and want to make people think they are don't like him or they could be all in on the other 3. It's also possible that they will re-schedule since we are still 4 months away from the draft...

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

i think mccagnan realized that if he didn't trade up he was looking at allen or chubb.

when draft day rolls around we'll be hoping rosen falls to us but mayfield and rosen are probably equally likely at this point.  

Rosen or Mayfield is all I could ask for. I’m wary of Allen. He’s been hyped into a tier he doesn’t belong in.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Rosen or Mayfield is all I could ask for. I’m wary of Allen. He’s been hyped into a tier he doesn’t belong in.

sam or the rb from penn state    :wine:  

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

C’mon now. Do better.?

He was a projected top 10 pick for the last year. Well before the combine and Senior Bowl. Sure, the post-season stuff helped his stock, but it's not like he was a no name that came to the draft and went from undrafted prospect to top 5 pick based solely on his combine. 

Allen is a guy that you could see, from his game tape, has elite NFL QB skills. Whether he can translate that to the NFL when he had trouble producing in college (for whatever reasons) is the question. If Allen had put up 61% comp pct, 24tds-8ints (not the best numbers in the class) this past season he would be the consensus #1 pick. 

Archived