Saquon Barkley Will Be The Pick

SAR I

6 hours ago, afjetsfan said:

If the Jets do take anyone other than a QB I think a lot of us will be done with this team until there is a new regime in place, hopefully with a proven track record of winning.

Did the Geno Smith fiasco teach you nothing?

You pass on a QB you aren’t 100% sure of.  And as sure as I’m standing here the Jets aren’t 100% on three or four QB’s. They are hot on one of them, perhaps two.  

And when they are both gone we move on to another position. 

SAR I

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Did the Geno Smith fiasco teach you nothing?

You pass on a QB you aren’t 100% sure of.  And as sure as I’m standing here the Jets aren’t 100% on three or four QB’s. They are hot on one of them, perhaps two.  

And when they are both gone we move on to another position. 

SAR I

Just admit this. You know you don’t want the jets to draft a qb, because you hope mark Sanchez is back with the jets in 2019. No rookie, or McCown to block him. 

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Just admit this. You know you don’t want the jets to draft a qb, because you hope mark Sanchez is back with the jets in 2019. No rookie, or McCown to block him. 

I want the Jets to draft a quarterback very badly.  Trust me, when I found out we take Barkley I was upset for a week.  But I'm over it now.

As for Sanchez, my wish for him to be a Jet died in 2013.  My only hope on Mark's behalf now is that Jets fans recognize him for the terrific young playoff quarterback he was and honor him along with the rest of the '09 and '10 squad when we start bringing them back into the fold as retired NFL players.

SAR I

13 hours ago, Bergen Jet said:

If Rosen and maybe Mayfield are gone I am completely OK with this.

If Maccagnan gave away two second round picks to move up three spots to take a running back, he should be fired by Johnson on the spot.

Right now, whomever takes Barkley in the top four guarantees him roughly the same money as the Bills guaranteed Lesean McCoy, a proven veteran, even though Barkley has done diddley squat in the NFL. Barkley would need to excel as a running back for each of the five seasons on his rookie contract to repay the money he earns through guarantees.

If the Jets traded up to #3 with the Colts in the hope that one of the two QBs the Jets liked are on the clock and they don't like the other top tier QB prospects, then Maccagnan should be working the phones looking to trade down and recover at least one of the two second round picks, if not both (or better).

The economics of taking a running back at #3 do not make sense, especially when there are almost as good prospects (Guice, Chubb, Jones) available later in the draft. In the last 20 years, 13 running backs have been drafted with picks inside the top 5. Six of those running backs failed to make a Pro Bowl before leaving the NFL (Richardson, Cedric Benson, Reggie Bush, Curtis Enis, Darren McFadden and Cadillac Williams). Three running backs (Ronnie Brown, Jamal Lewis and Ricky Williams) made it to one Pro Bowl, though Brown finished his career with 5,391 yards and Lewis and Williams each made it over 10,000 yards. Only two running backs were selected to multiple Pro Bowls - LaDainian Tomlinson and Edgerrin James. Jury is still out on Ezekiel Elliott and Leonard Fournette.

Prior to the 2012 draft, everyone and their dog was predicting Trent Richardson to be a sure-fire running back and the team that took him high in the first round was guaranteed a great player from day 1. Didn't work out.

On 4/24/2018 at 10:27 AM, Patriot Killa said:

It would be idiotic to take Barkley in a stacked RB draft after giving up 3 2nd round picks in order to move up and still have no QB. Macc would be fired on sight.

Beyond idiotic. The most idiotic thing the Jets could do.

Don't take a QB just to take one, it'd be idiotic to trade up to 3 and not have 3 QBs theyre comfortable with but if their guy is off the board take the stud RB. Barkley could have a Gurley, Elliot, Fournette level impact, that's well worth what would inevitably turn out to be Jace Amaro, Devin Smith, and Vlad Ducasse

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

As you should be, it's smart thinking.  It is better to settle for the fantastic can't-miss franchise running back than settle for a diceroll QB you didn't really want just to appease the fans.

One can also argue that if the Jets were slam-dunk going to draft a QB no-matter-what that there was no need to spend $5M+ on Teddy Bridgewater.  Remember, Josh McCown played very well last year for a rebuilding team and Bryce Petty is functional as a decent backup.

When the two QB's the Jets coveted are off the board tomorrow, it's Saquon Barkely, New York Jet.  He's Ladanian Tomlinson 2.0, he's a Jets fan, he's a necessary component of a Super Bowl contender, and it's a really nice consolation prize.

SAR I

If you think about being a Jet fan is basically a consolation prize in and of itself. So the Barkley pick makes sense. 

7 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

If Maccagnan gave away two second round picks to move up three spots to take a running back, he should be fired by Johnson on the spot.

Wait, so it would be better for Maccagnan to take a quarterback he doesn't want just to avoid being accused of wasting a second round pick?  That makes sense to you?

The Jets pulled the trigger with Indianapolis for two reasons.  First, time will show it prevented the Bills from jumping up and getting a franchise quarterback that they believed in which turns out to be a massive win for the Jets in and of itself.  Second, it put us in a better position to get the franchise quarterback that we believed in even though it didn't work out and we couldn't get him.

While getting Barkley makes Jets fans upset for a week, in the end it stopped the Bills from getting the guy they wanted and it put a tremendous offensive talent in our backfield.  Not the dream scenario, but when opinions shifted the quarterback the Jets were drooling over was taken in the first two picks and there wasn't anything else Maccagnan could have done.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Nah for real if we take a RB at three I will start my serial killing career the next day.

Todd Gurley taken at #10.
Ezekiel Elliot taken at #4.
Leonard Fournette taken at #4.
Christian McCafferey taken at #8.
Adrien Peterson taken at #7.
Marshawn Lynch taken at #12.

That's recent RB high pick history and those are 6 franchise running backs.  More high pick RB's have hit in recent years than high pick QB's.  To win a Super Bowl you need a strong running game, something we lack.  It's no surprise that the moment players like Curtis Martin and Ladanian Tomlinson hung it up the Jets haven't sniffed the playoffs and our QB's have been sitting ducks.

Not saying I agree with Maccagnan's pick tonight, and I can't say what Sawquon's career produces as it could have disastrous consequences on future events, but let's just say your short-term disappointment will lead to long-term happiness.

SAR I

IF every eligible QB in this year's draft were abducted by aliens five minutes before the draft, the Jets would STILL draft one of them in absentia  in the hopes they might at some point be returned unharmed rather than draft a RB, even it that RB was Jim Brown.

Conclusion - There is no freakin' way that the Jets will be taking a RB at #3 tonight.

On 4/24/2018 at 9:18 AM, SAR I said:

As some of you are aware, I recently returned from the future and know what the Jets destiny is.

While I cannot reveal too much as it could have serious consequences on future events, I can tell you that the Jets pick at #3 on Thursday will be Saquon Barkley.  It takes awhile for the story to come out but the QB the Jets were considering was off the board, there were no trade partners, and Barkley was the BPA.

Now that you know, you can stop all the quarterback bickering and relax.  Until next season, that is.

SAR I

Granted ... we would be trashing the first real opportunity to have a franchise QB that we've had in a while.

But capturing the epic video of even the sparse few Jet fans in attendance in Tx could take a revamped Jets Draft Blunders to an Academy Award for short films and provide hours upon hour of entertainment.    

On 4/24/2018 at 10:48 AM, dbatesman said:

This would be phenomenal, if only to watch all the Maccagnan fanboys pivot from "we're definitely getting a franchise QB" to "smart move to pass on this risky QB class and take the best player in the draft"

You never know. Too much Coffee can do strange things to some. ☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️

Mac has cornered himself into taking a qb in the 1st round.  You cant trade 3 2nd round picks and come out w/ a rb.  He would be fired on the spot.  Even if barkely ran for 2,000 yards.  He is not going to fire himself.

If its mayfield at one and rosen at 2, he will take the fat cow darnold at 3.

Will hide him for 3 quarters of the season and play him the last 4 games.  Will not be enough time to really judge him on the pick so he probably gets another year.  Then when darnold is terrible year 2, make is toast.

Worst case scenario tonight is coming out of this draft w/ darnold.  He is terrible.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mac has cornered himself into taking a qb in the 1st round.  You cant trade 3 2nd round picks and come out w/ a rb.  He would be fired on the spot.  Even if barkely ran for 2,000 yards.  He is not going to fire himself.

If its mayfield at one and rosen at 2, he will take the fat cow darnold at 3.

Will hide him for 3 quarters of the season and play him the last 4 games.  Will not be enough time to really judge him on the pick so he probably gets another year.  Then when darnold is terrible year 2, make is toast.

Worst case scenario tonight is coming out of this draft w/ darnold.  He is terrible.

What if it’s the Johnsons onboard with Barkley as #3 on their board? Johnsons are heavily involved in this pick so Mac wouldn’t be going off the reservation if Barkley was picked. So he wouldn’t be fired. He may be fired for not picking him ha.

My worry is they want only love 2 qbs, highly confident they will get 1 of the 2. But in the rare chance their 2 qbs go 1-2, if Barkley is 3 on their list.

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mac has cornered himself into taking a qb in the 1st round.  You cant trade 3 2nd round picks and come out w/ a rb. 

No, that's fan talk, nothing more.

Maccagnan merely did his best to improve his draft position in an attempt to get the QB that the braintrust wanted.  Mac, Bowles, Johnson & Johnson, all on the same page.  The odds of getting that QB at #3 were 10x better than waiting for him at #6.  When that QB was taken, they took Barkley, the next-best offensive player on their board.  Simple stuff.

He isn't "he".  It's "they".  It's the Jets FO and ownership.  "They" traded 2 second round picks to move up to #3.  That's all they did.  It was a calculated risk for a franchise QB.  It didn't pan out.  So we got the franchise RB.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, that's fan talk, nothing more.

Maccagnan merely did his best to improve his draft position in an attempt to get the QB that the braintrust wanted.  Mac, Bowles, Johnson & Johnson, all on the same page.  The odds of getting that QB at #3 were 10x better than waiting for him at #6.  When thQuoteat QB was taken, they took Barkley, the next-best offensive player on their board.  Simple stuff.

He isn't "he".  It's "they".  It's the Jets FO and ownership.  "They" traded 2 second round picks to move up to #3.  That's all they did.  It was a calculated risk for a franchise QB.  It didn't pan out.  So we got the franchise RB.

SAR I

Wait what?  They what? No, never, not at any point, now you are simply making shit up. Might just have to put you on ignore.

6 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Barkley will be the pick - for the Giants

The Giants trade out.  They don't need one of the QB's and the price they are offered vs. just taking the RB?  It's an offer they can't refuse.  The team that moves up is criticized for years for offering that much.

That's how both QB's we want go #1 and #2 and how we wind up with Barkley at #3.

Don't challenge me on this.  I have seen the future, I've been there.

SAR I

31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Giants trade out.  They don't need one of the QB's and the price they are offered vs. just taking the RB?  It's an offer they can't refuse.  The team that moves up is criticized for years for offering that much.

That's how both QB's we want go #1 and #2 and how we wind up with Barkley at #3.

Don't challenge me on this.  I have seen the future, I've been there.

SAR I

I know the lead up time to the draft can cause anxiety, but you need to chill. Grab a beer and relax. Free your mind of the draft for a bit. Here's some entertainment to distract you:

Archived