Mehta: Jets’ Adams Will be “Force” in 2018

JetNation

7 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Eric Berry ran a 4.40.  Jamal Adams ran a 4.56.

Eric Berry jumped 43 inches.  Jamal Adams jumped 31.5.

Eric Berry broad jumped 130 inches.  Jamal Adams broad jumped 120 inches.

Eric Berry's 3-cone was 6.8.  Jamal Adams' 3 cone was 6.96.

Please, tell us more...

Sure, here’s some more.

i wasn’t comparing their combine results when I said I think Jamal is the next Eric Berry. But that 40 is pretty similar.

And Jamal is twitchy AF.  He was the only player on the Defense that lessen McCoy couldn’t shake last year- he mirrored every juke- it was fun to see.  So that means more to me than his broad jump. He was a consensus top 7 guy last year- remeber he FELL to  6.  He flashed greatness at times last year.  Remeber him chasing down Marshawn Lynch from the opposite sid rod the field to prevent a sure TD? He was a rookie and at times looked like he could be special. To your combine argument, he’s more gab athletic enough. Eric Berry was a dominant safety and I think Jamal can be the same. 

———

A clocking of 4.56 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine wasn't good enough for LSU's Jamal Adams, and he showed why on Wednesday.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Adams was timed officially at 4.45 at LSU's pro day, per NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt. That's a significant improvement for a player already considered to be one of the 2017 NFL Draft's elite prospects. Hard as it might have been for Adams to boost his already high draft stock, he might have done just that. Per NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks, the improvement will "change the perception about his athleticism."

"It's a mindset," Adams told Mayock of his improved 40. "I felt that I'm in my backyard. LSU, one of the best colleges ... is the best college in the world, and I felt at home. I felt very comfortable. I felt like I was going to run my fastest. God blessed me with talent and he blessed me with some speed."

Adams and Ohio State's Malik Hooker are considered the draft's top prospects at the safety position. The most recent NFL.com analyst mock drafts project Adams anywhere from No. 3 overall to the Chicago Bears to No. 10 overall to the Buffalo Bills. Hooker is projected to go No. 7 overall in four of five mock drafts to the San Diego Chargers, with Adams going to the Chargers in the other.

The Jacksonville Jaguars, who hold the No. 4 overall pick, will host Adams among other top prospects later this week for a pre-draft visit.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, David Harris said:

Sure, here’s some more.

i wasn’t comparing their combine results when I said I think Jamal is the next Eric Berry. But that 40 is pretty similar.

And Jamal is twitchy AF.  He was the only player on the Defense that lessen McCoy couldn’t shake last year- he mirrored every juke- it was fun to see.  So that means more to me than his broad jump. He was a consensus top 7 guy last year- remeber he FELL to  6.  He flashed greatness at times last year.  Remeber him chasing down Marshawn Lynch from the opposite sid rod the field to prevent a sure TD? He was a rookie and at times looked like he could be special. To your combine argument, he’s more gab athletic enough. Eric Berry was a dominant safety and I think Jamal can be the same. 

———

A clocking of 4.56 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine wasn't good enough for LSU's Jamal Adams, and he showed why on Wednesday.

.15 is not at all similar, it's a pretty big difference when it comes to 40 times.  Also, Pro Day run times are meaningless.

I understand that you weren't comparing combine results.  I'm pointing them out because Jamal Adams isn't a top flight athlete for his position, and at 6, that's a problem.  He's simply doesn't have that kind of upside.  If you want to compare year ones, Berry had 4 INTs to Jamal's 0.  He also had more passes defended.  So, that's coverage.  But wait, Berry also had more tackles, and the same sacks and FFs.

And, Adams never flashed greatness.  He flashed goodness, but overall he was kind of just fine.  Hard to flash greatness when you're beaten for 8TDs and have no INTs.  And yes, he did "fall" to us.  But, maybe we ought to have asked why, instead of pissing ourselves with excitement.

15 hours ago, TeddEY said:

The problem with Jamal Adams improving in coverage is that his coverage issues are largely due to the fact that, by NFL DB standards, or perhaps better, by NFL WR/TE standards, he's simply not that athletic.  The majority of the guys Jamal Adams may be asked to cover are bigger, stronger, and can run faster and jump higher than him.

Thanks (sincerely).  I appreciate that you backed up your point of view with a logical argument - and you may be right.  I would just counter your "bigger, stronger...faster...jump higher" argument with this:

giphy.gif?resize=480,228&ssl=1

Jamal Adams isn’t a thug. He’s probably not going to appear in headlines for: DUI, domestic violence, bar fighting, smoking weed, or birthing 14 kids.  

82 tackles, 2 FF, with a league leading TFL (among safeties), and the fact that he WANTS to get better is far surpassing the bar we’ve set for draft picks of late. 

We should be THRILLED considering our past picks in the round (Coples, Gholston, Milliner, Richardson, Pryor, and to some degree, Lee).

Some ya’ll want to complain just to complain. 

The face of Jets’ defense is about to take a huge leap

The face of Jets’ defense is about to take a huge leap

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 3: Jamal Adams

Last year’s ranking: Unranked (rookie)

Position: S

How acquired: Selected in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft

Years left on contract: 3 (plus a team option for a fourth)

2018 Salary Cap figure: $5 million

Looking back at 2017: The Jets grabbed Adams with the No. 6-overall pick last year, when he surprisingly fell into their laps. They were thrilled to get him on draft night, and they were not disappointed with what Adams showed as a rookie.

Adams was a starter from Day 1 and quickly established himself as a leader of the defense. He did not have any interceptions in his rookie year but came close a few times. There is no doubt the interceptions will come. He had six passes defensed, forced one fumble and recovered a fumble.

Playing mainly in the box, Adams proved that he was a sure tackler. He had 63 tackles, according to Pro Football Reference. Adams was an effective blitzer for Todd Bowles, too, finishing with two sacks and six quarterback hurries.

Pro Football Focus ranked Adams 39th out of 89 safeties they graded. Adams did not grade well in coverage for PFF. They gave him a 130.2 quarterback rating against, the sixth-worst mark among safeties.

Adams brought intangibles to the Jets that were every bit as valuable as his on-field contributions. Bowles said on draft night that he wanted to bring in “alpha dogs.” That is what Adams is. He is brimming with confidence and not afraid to express himself. That trickles down in the locker room.

Outlook for 2018: The Jets hope Adams can be one of their cornerstone players for the next decade.

While he had a strong rookie season, there should be a jump in Year 2. Adams sometimes made mistakes you’d expect from a rookie last year. He could be too aggressive or struggle in coverage against some of the top tight ends and receivers he covered.

Adams has huge expectations for himself. He has vowed never to miss the Pro Bowl again. That remains to be seen, but I think Adams will make a big jump. It would be surprising if Adams did not become more of a playmaker. He should get his first interception this year and probably more than one.

Adams is very talented playing close to the line of scrimmage. He acts like an extra linebacker sometimes in Bowles’ defense. With the addition of cornerback Trumaine Johnson, Bowles will have more flexibility this year to send blitzers. I would expect Adams to be in the backfield of the opposition plenty of times this year.

8 hours ago, MykePM said:

Thanks (sincerely).  I appreciate that you backed up your point of view with a logical argument - and you may be right.  I would just counter your "bigger, stronger...faster...jump higher" argument with this:

I'm not sure this proves what you're implying it does.  It's a nice play by Adams, no doubt.  But, as far as athleticism goes, the runner is stopped immediately, and deterred by 2 other defenders before Adams gets there.  The runner never reaches anything resembling speed and is simply in survival mode, frankly, because the other guys don't finish the tackle when they should.  Again, I don't take anything away from Adams for that play, the effort and the pursuit is praiseworthy, but he chased down a guy who never actually left 1st gear.

On 7/23/2018 at 9:43 AM, TeddEY said:

5 picks in 3 seasons is what you're taking about re: his college career?  Or, the two forced fumbles?

Glorified box safety is actually complimentary...

So is that the metric we go by now to judge if a Safety is a talented one or not?  Sorry I don't just look at stats.  Try watching him play in college.  He makes plays which is why he was the best defender on that LSU defense.  The interceptions and forced fumbles will come.  We'll go back to this thread at the end of the season guy.

16 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

So is that the metric we go by now to judge if a Safety is a talented one or not?  Sorry I don't just look at stats.  Try watching him play in college.  He makes plays which is why he was the best defender on that LSU defense.  The interceptions and forced fumbles will come.  We'll go back to this thread at the end of the season guy.

It's not the only metric by which to judge a DBs talent, but lets not pretend that turnovers don't matter.  For Adams, they didn't come in college and they didn't come in his 1st season, but they're suddenly going to come?  There's an argument to be made that he'll get better as a pro, but why are we suddenly expecting him to do things that he was unable to do in college?  You said he is worth the 6th overall pick... You don't take guys who struggle in coverage and don't turn the ball over at 6.  You can find guys to stop the run all over the draft.

Turnovers do matter and he will get them.  It was his first year what do you expect exactly?  For the kid to come out and grab 10 INTs and have 10 FFs.  Not likely.  You know what is likely?  For him to come out this season and catch those balls that he dropped when he was a rookie.  Strictly for example purposes but Polamalu had 0 INTs and 1 FF his rookie season and he turned out alright.  Adams was unable to get INTs in college?  He had a season where he had 4.  And maybe he didn't have many because QBs weren't throwing near him.  Probably because he sucked though right?  Strictly being a run stopping safety.  

13 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

Turnovers do matter and he will get them.  It was his first year what do you expect exactly?  For the kid to come out and grab 10 INTs and have 10 FFs.  Not likely.  You know what is likely?  For him to come out this season and catch those balls that he dropped when he was a rookie.  Strictly for example purposes but Polamalu had 0 INTs and 1 FF his rookie season and he turned out alright.  Adams was unable to get INTs in college?  He had a season where he had 4.  And maybe he didn't have many because QBs weren't throwing near him.  Probably because he sucked though right?  Strictly being a run stopping safety.  

Why?  Why will he get them if he could not get them in college?  No one is suggesting he should have had 10 INTs and 10 FFs, but good use of hyperbole. As for the QBs weren't throwing at him, that's something you completely made up right now, because even his scouting profiles suggested he was not strong in coverage.

Adams is a unique player that only comes around every so often.

He is someone who loves the game of football and for whom safety is the perfect position, but he is just slightly undersized and underathletic.  He had a good injury history, takes care of himself, and stays out of trouble.  

Yes, to me the comparables are Bob Sanders and Troy Palamalu.  They are not Eric Berry or Sean Taylor  

Bowles can find a way to use him like the Honey Badger, another similar player.  

HB got a big second contract and was eventually cut.  I think it is hard to dedicate that amount of resources on a fully salaried team to a Safety.

I would not have used the 6th pick in the draft for him, but he was not lasting until 10.  One can understand how Mac got to picking him, given the options.  

In a perfect world he signs a reasonable second contract, that given he was picked 6th, looks like a longer version of his rookie contract.  That seems like the right amount to pay someone who does what Adams can do.  Players like this tend not to last long.  We will have to see about that. 

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Why?  Why will he get them if he could not get them in college?  No one is suggesting he should have had 10 INTs and 10 FFs, but good use of hyperbole. As for the QBs weren't throwing at him, that's something you completely made up right now, because even his scouting profiles suggested he was not strong in coverage.

But you forget Adams picked off Bryce Petty in 7 on 7s once

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Name: Jamal Adams

School: LSU

Position fit: Interchangeable safety capable of playing both near the line of scrimmage and deep in coverage. Can also play in the slot or cover tight ends.

Stats to know: 33 tackles resulting in a defensive stop were tied for seventh among safeties in college in 2016

What he does best:

• As well-rounded a prospect as there is in this draft class, with the fifth-best coverage grade, and fourth-best run-defense grade among safeties in 2016.
  • Played well in three seasons at LSU, but saw a big boost to grades and stats in 2016, seeing his total number of defensive stops rise from 23 in 2015 to 33 in 2016.
  • Versatile enough to cover in the slot, with 251 of his 802 snaps last year coming from the slot.
  • Looks like a cornerback when playing “off” coverage. Has some analysts intrigued that he’s capable of converting to a cornerback full-time if needed.
  • Improved as a tackler in his junior year. Missed a tackle once every 6.4 attempts in 2015, but just once every 11.1 attempted in 2016. Plays with great balance in the open field, though he’ll have his fair share of whiffs.

That's from PFF.  I don't need to make anything up.  I'm not about that.  I don't talk out of my ass.  It honestly sounds like you really wanted someone else at 6 in that draft and you're a little sour and salty that we picked Adams which is fine.  Just don't bash the kid after one year in the league.

47 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

Position fit: Interchangeable safety capable of playing both near the line of scrimmage and deep in coverage. Can also play in the slot or cover tight ends.

Stats to know: 33 tackles resulting in a defensive stop were tied for seventh among safeties in college in 2016

What he does best:

• As well-rounded a prospect as there is in this draft class, with the fifth-best coverage grade, and fourth-best run-defense grade among safeties in 2016.
  • Played well in three seasons at LSU, but saw a big boost to grades and stats in 2016, seeing his total number of defensive stops rise from 23 in 2015 to 33 in 2016.
  • Versatile enough to cover in the slot, with 251 of his 802 snaps last year coming from the slot.
  • Looks like a cornerback when playing “off” coverage. Has some analysts intrigued that he’s capable of converting to a cornerback full-time if needed.
  • Improved as a tackler in his junior year. Missed a tackle once every 6.4 attempts in 2015, but just once every 11.1 attempted in 2016. Plays with great balance in the open field, though he’ll have his fair share of whiffs.

That's from PFF.  I don't need to make anything up.  I'm not about that.  I don't talk out of my ass.  It honestly sounds like you really wanted someone else at 6 in that draft and you're a little sour and salty that we picked Adams which is fine.  Just don't bash the kid after one year in the league.

This does not sound like the 6th pick in the draft who has a cap cost of around $6mm.  

Good player.  Just not the 6th pick in the draft.  

Tied for seventh among safeties?  Fifth best safety?  Fourth best safety?

He had a very powerful PR train pushing him.  

1 hour ago, JetFanatic said:

What he does best:

5th best coverage and 4th best run defense of safeties sounds like a positive thing for the 6th overall pick?

Meanwhile, go to every other scouting report and it speaks about his coverage struggles.

And yes, I did want someone else, but no one specific.  Just someone capable of doing things that actually win football games in today’s NFL.  Not a low-value player who we’ll hope we can get a comp pick for when we let him walk instead of paying him in a few years.

35 minutes ago, varjet said:

This does not sound like the 6th pick in the draft who has a cap cost of around $6mm.  

Good player.  Just not the 6th pick in the draft.  

Tied for seventh among safeties?  Fifth best safety?  Fourth best safety?

He had a very powerful PR train pushing him.  

Sounds like a steal in the late 2nd, early 3rd.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I rip on this goofball constantly, but I’ve gotta give credit where it’s due. This is good stuff.

I have to admit he seems to mean well with all his antics and this is an awesome end result from going above and beyond. If he can focus his energy/motor/charisma on good things like this, then I can tolerate him coming off as obnoxious. If he doesn’t try being completely over the top then he may not be so aggressive with being a good guy and genuinley caring. 

It’s not always about football, especially with this hopeless dumpster fire of a team so we might as well enjoy/focus on the actual good things that they do. Especially when it’s genuine and not just fake PR crap.

That being said, you don’t draft a box safety at #6!!! Jk haha

On 7/24/2018 at 12:52 AM, MykePM said:

That’s supposed to be impressive? Lynch was hit immediately. Adams was just a 3-4 yards away from initial contact. Lynch swept left, had to break tackles and is stumbling down when Adams finally catches up to him. This play is not exactly all that. 

4 minutes ago, BigO said:

That’s supposed to be impressive? Lynch was hit immediately. Adams was just a 3-4 yards away from initial contact. Lynch swept left, had to break tackles and is stumbling down when Adams finally catches up to him. This play is not exactly all that. 

If Adam's wasn't there, touchdown bad guys. Can't discredit the speed and hustle

Just now, BroadwayBen said:

If Adam's wasn't there, touchdown bad guys. Can't discredit the speed and hustle

Good hustle. Speed ? This play is constantly used to rationalize taking a safety at 6 when his skill set screams round 3-4. If that. Seems like a nice kid. So what. 

His rookie year was somewhat average.  Ups and downs.  But he played a lot in a position of responsibility for the defense.  If he takes another step in year 2, plays with less hesitation and reacts rather than thinks, he'll quickly be a top Safety in this league.  We can debate his value for where he was drafted (a little too high IMO) but there's little doubt in my mind that he's going to be a difference maker for this defense....and that's something we haven't had in a long time.

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

His rookie year was somewhat average.  Ups and downs.  But he played a lot in a position of responsibility for the defense.  If he takes another step in year 2, plays with less hesitation and reacts rather than thinks, he'll quickly be a top Safety in this league.  We can debate his value for where he was drafted (a little too high IMO) but there's little doubt in my mind that he's going to be a difference maker for this defense....and that's something we haven't had in a long time.

It was less than average. It was pedestrian. He was a #6 pick in the draft. Expectations are high for someone picked so early in the draft. In fact, it’s demanded he produce at an All Pro level or close to it. Did he do that? Far from it.  Burned several times, gave up 8 TD’s, was out of position constantly and looked terrible in coverage. One can only hope he turns the corner but I just don’t see it happening. He and Darron Lee are 2 bad decisions Mac has made that will continue to be falsely exploited as changing the culture of this team. 

It was less than average. It was pedestrian. He was a #6 pick in the draft. Expectations are high for someone picked so early in the draft. In fact, it’s demanded he produce at an All Pro level or close to it. Did he do that? Far from it.  Burned several times, gave up 8 TD’s, was out of position constantly and looked terrible in coverage. One can only hope he turns the corner but I just don’t see it happening. He and Darron Lee are 2 bad decisions Mac has made that will continue to be falsely exploited as changing the culture of this team. 

Dude ... Year one guys rarely display all pro levels of play.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Dude ... Year one guys rarely display all pro levels of play.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not anymore. Watson, Prescott were both off the hook. Regardless, he just seems to lack the proper instincts and skill set  to play the position. White and Hooker are 2 others who were outstanding. Even Maye showed way more. 

2 hours ago, Lon chaney said:

You demand ALL PRO level play in year 1, from a 21 year old rookie, just because he was picked 6th? 

Demand? Yes I’d like to see something more than his mouth moving up and down from him. 

7 hours ago, BigO said:

Can't wait to get my Darnold Pro Bowl jersey this year as he throws 25 TDs to 8 INTs.

If not, I guess we cut him huh?

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Can't wait to get my Darnold Pro Bowl jersey this year as he throws 25 TDs to 8 INTs.

If not, I guess we cut him huh?

Price will then go up. 99.99 now! Off to Modell’s!

Archived