2019 Head Coaching Candiates

GreenWhite

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

Just because @Jet Nut‘s skin is thinner than a sheepskin condom doesn’t mean the fun needs to stop for the normal human beings 

Youre obviously obsessed and cant get enough off playing the ass, owned for following every post while not knowing when to just STFU.

Do all of you just automatically defend each other no matter how wrong the other is?  

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jet Nut said:

Youre obviously obsessed and cant get enough off playing the ass while not knowing when to just STFU.

Do all of you just automatically defend each other no matter how wrong the other is?  

Yeah dog I love playin dat ass

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre obviously obsessed and cant get enough off playing the ass, owned for following every post while not knowing when to just STFU.

Speaking of 'wrong' the happy happy faction on here has been wrong about almost everything they have talked about n here for the last 10 years.  The bad old negative doomsyaers have about 99% more analytical cred than the happy happy we are great club.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Speaking of 'wrong' the happy happy faction on here has been wrong about almost everything they have talked about n here for the last 10 years.  The bad old negative doomsyaers have about 99% more analytical cred than the happy happy we are great club.

Actually thats wrong too.

Actually most teams lose more than they win overall and all but one reaches the ultimate goal so just whining and moaning is playing the chalk and in no way requires any level of thought.  And get no cred for being a miserable fan, missing the whole concept of rooting for your team.  

Thanks for clearing up what most fans believe.  That the whiney fans are more concerned with being right about losing than anything else.

23 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Perfectly sums up what is so bothersome about all too many who post.

Still cant even get what started his tirade.  All I said is I think theyll win enough games with a rookie for them to keep their jobs and with all the money available next season should be able to improve.  Apparently this scenario, which easily is the best possible outcome for the Jets pisses some off.  They wont know what to do without a cliche list of reasons why the HC should be fired.  in their narrow minds its better to start over, reset the clock a few season than for Bowles to improve on his obvious deficiencies and become a viable HC.  

That any of this would make anyone think this is the thinking of a fan of a competing team is the real head scratcher.  

I expect both Maccagnan and Bowles back next year, I've said it many times. The main reason being that they just signed a two-year extension, and -to the best of my memory- the only person the Johnsons fired with more than one year left on their deal was, deservedly, Idzik. @bitonti talked about their inherent cheapness. They won't want to buy out two years for two men. 

The other reason they're likely to make it to 2019 is Darnold. Mac, because he found him and Bowles, because he played a rookie QB all year and fewer wins were therefore expected. 

While I expect it to happen, it is not a best possible outcome for the Jets. Maccagnan is still bad at drafting and Bowles is still bad at coaching. I root for them to improve. The Jets have hired nothing but first-timers at both positions since Parcells, and you have to give these guys a chance to grow into the job, but these particular guys have had plenty of time now to demonstrate that they're probably not up to the task. 

The only way they're out this year is if Bowles is somehow worse. If his team of Boy Scouts still feels the need to mutiny. Or if they're clearly just giving no effort. Then, Mac could be gone, too, if some hot-shot CEO type head coach makes himself available to the Jets. But I don't see that happening. 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

I expect both Maccagnan and Bowles back next year, I've said it many times. The main reason being that they just signed a two-year extension, and -to the best of my memory- the only person the Johnsons fired with more than one year left on their deal was, deservedly, Idzik. @bitonti talked about their inherent cheapness. They won't want to buy out two years for two men. 

The other reason they're likely to make it to 2019 is Darnold. Mac, because he found him and Bowles, because he played a rookie QB all year and fewer wins were therefore expected. 

While I expect it to happen, it is not a best possible outcome for the Jets. Maccagnan is still bad at drafting and Bowles is still bad at coaching. I root for them to improve. The Jets have hired nothing but first-timers at both positions since Parcells, and you have to give these guys a chance to grow into the job, but these particular guys have had plenty of time now to demonstrate that they're probably not up to the task. 

The only way they're out this year is if Bowles is somehow worse. If his team of Boy Scouts still feels the need to mutiny. Or if they're clearly just giving no effort. Then, Mac could be gone, too, if some hot-shot CEO type head coach makes himself available to the Jets. But I don't see that happening. 

Youre assuming that Bowles is bad at coaching and will stay that way.  What I said isnt that the best possible outcome is for Bowles to remain the same coach hes been up to now.  What I did say was that the best outcome is for Bowles to improve in the areas he needs to improve and to become a viable NFL HC and THAT would be the best possible outcome.  We'd have a HC and wouldnt have to start over under a new regime.

Macc is more complicated, every GM has good drafts and not so good to bad.  It goes with the territory.  If it turns out that this draft is good, especially hitting on Darnold and follows it up with another next year, hes not going anywhere and shouldnt.  

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre assuming that Bowles is bad at coaching and will stay that way.  What I said isnt that the best possible outcome is for Bowles to remain the same coach hes been up to now.  What I did say was that the best outcome is for Bowles to improve in the areas he needs to improve and to become a viable NFL HC and THAT would be the best possible outcome.  We'd have a HC and wouldnt have to start over under a new regime.

Macc is more complicated, every GM has good drafts and not so good to bad.  It goes with the territory.  If it turns out that this draft is good, especially hitting on Darnold and follows it up with another next year, hes not going anywhere and shouldnt.  

Yes and, as I said, Bowles has been here long enough to know what he is as a head coach. He's not good. He's also not going to change the person he is. He's a typical defensive-minded coach, and even then he's probably more conservative than most of those. You don't beat the Patriots by running the ball and stopping the run, you do it by aggressively outscoring them. The last two Super Bowls have been a testament to that. Bowles is not, and will never be, that guy. So even if he gets better at clock management, it's not going to make him a better coach. 

The only way I see Mac getting fired after the season is if some Jim Harbaugh-type became available to run the whole show, not that I think Mac will get fired or that the Jets will attract such a candidate. As I said, I expect them both back with a playoff mandate in 2019. 

12 minutes ago, slats said:

Yes and, as I said, Bowles has been here long enough to know what he is as a head coach. He's not good. He's also not going to change the person he is. He's a typical defensive-minded coach, and even then he's probably more conservative than most of those. You don't beat the Patriots by running the ball and stopping the run, you do it by aggressively outscoring them. The last two Super Bowls have been a testament to that. Bowles is not, and will never be, that guy. So even if he gets better at clock management, it's not going to make him a better coach. 

The only way I see Mac getting fired after the season is if some Jim Harbaugh-type became available to run the whole show, not that I think Mac will get fired or that the Jets will attract such a candidate. As I said, I expect them both back with a playoff mandate in 2019. 

Once again, if he improves.  And no he isn't what he will always be because we say so.  Belichick isn't what he was in Cleveland as everyone loves to point out.  Shanahan sucked in his first run in Oakland.  The list is long.  So I can't say with 100% certainty that he can't improve like so many others.  And in no way changes the point, if he did it would be the best possible outcome for the team to have:

1. A viable HC 

2. Continuity for the team and just as important IMO for Darnold.

I dont get how this is even debatable under those circumstances

On 9/5/2018 at 10:53 AM, Jet Nut said:

Belichick isn't what he was in Cleveland as everyone loves to point out.  Shanahan sucked in his first run in Oakland. 

Aren't those two thoughts a bit contradictory?  Those guys needed a change in scenery to blossom, but Bowles is going to do it here?  Honest question, anybody you can think of that learned their lesson and went from "eh" (at best) to good/great HC with the same team? 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Aren't those two thoughts a bit contradictory?  Those guys needed a change in scenery to blossom, but Bowles is going to do it here?  Honest question, anybody you can think of that learned their lesson and went from "eh" (at best" to good/great HC? 

I have no idea why they showed improvement, just that it is possible to improve.  

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Once again, if he improves.  And no he isn't what he will always be because we say so.  Belichick isn't what he was in Cleveland as everyone loves to point out.  Shanahan sucked in his first run in Oakland.  The list is long.  So I can't say with 100% certainty that he can't improve like so many others.  And in no way changes the point, if he did it would be the best possible outcome for the team to have:

1. A viable HC 

I dont get how this is even debatable under those circumstances

Here's my bold prediction: 

No one, not even you, is going to be saying, "Damn, that Todd Bowles all of a sudden turned into a really good head coach!" by the end of the season. 

But he will still be coaching the team in 2019 with a playoff mandate. 

Also, continuity doesn't matter if it's continual crap. (Yes, yes, you said "if" he improves... )

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Here's my bold prediction: 

No one, not even you, is going to be saying, "Damn, that Todd Bowles all of a sudden turned into a really good head coach!" by the end of the season. 

But he will still be coaching the team in 2019 with a playoff mandate. 

Also, continuity doesn't matter if it's continual crap. (Yes, yes, you said "if" he improves... )

As I said, best case scenario.  Predictions aren't part of the equation. I dont know that its possible in the long run, just that it would be in the best interest of the team if we don't need to fire and hire.  

I said I think he will be here in 2019 and if Macc makes the right signings with the $100mil or so that he'll have to spend after this season possibly longer.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I have no idea why they showed improvement, just that it is possible to improve.  

I do.  Belichick went 11-5 and then the ownership dealt with money problems and the need for a new stadium and announced midseason they were moving to Baltimore.  Shanahan was dealing with Al Davis who was as meddling an owner as there is/was and was just losing his eenius on the way to becoming full blown crypt keeper.  Davis specifically picked young coaches because he felt they were easier to bully.  Any similar circumstances apply to Bowles?  His biggest hurdles have been a sh*t QB having too good a year and being unable to motivate his handpicked overpriced 3-4DE after deciding to give the huge contract.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

the problem is Bowles is not a spring chicken HC learning on the go. He is a D guru set in his ways. Much like rex Ryan, he has shown his stubborness by refusing to change. I can’t fault a D guru to always put D first in FA and draft. He like rex gave his gm a pass and was on board trading up for a possible franchise qb. Mac needs to be a big boy and not listen to his HC  now when he is always screaming for D in FA/draft. We have a lot to make up on the O,  for the last decade of  Severe  O neglect.  Have to build around Sam now 

it is best for Bowles is to allow JB to run the O and stay out of his way. He surely can’t help the O, he should let jermery sink or swim without interference. He should concentrate on why we brought him here, for a dominate D. 

28 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I do.  Belichick went 11-5 and then the ownership dealt with money problems and the need for a new stadium and announced midseason they were moving to Baltimore.  Shanahan was dealing with Al Davis who was as meddling an owner as there is/was and was just losing his eenius on the way to becoming full blown crypt keeper.  Davis specifically picked young coaches because he felt they were easier to bully.  Any similar circumstances apply to Bowles?  His biggest hurdles have been a sh*t QB having too good a year and being unable to motivate his handpicked overpriced 3-4DE after deciding to give the huge contract.

Belichick went 5-11 with Bledsoe.  After Carroll never had a losing season the three prior season.  Kraft was reportedly contemplating firing BB during that season so I'm not sure what clicked and why.  

Shanahan and Davis was a cluster F because they didnt get along and Shanahan couldnt be bullied, as you point out.  But he did manage to take over a 5 win team from Flores, win 7 in year 1.  7 in year 2 and 8 in year three.   Davis was entertaining though.  LOL  

That DE did, for all those who continually want to point out that he got fat when paid and blame Bowles, had easily his best season under Bowles in 2015.  Nothing about Mo was about being hand picked by Bowles

22 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

the problem is Bowles is not a spring chicken HC learning on the go. He is a D guru set in his ways. Much like rex Ryan, he has shown his stubborness by refusing to change. I can’t fault a D guru to always put D first in FA and draft. He like rex gave his gm a pass and was on board trading up for a possible franchise qb. Mac needs to be a big boy and not listen to his HC  now when he is always screaming for D in FA/draft. We have a lot to make up on the O,  for the last decade of  Severe  O neglect.  Have to build around Sam now 

it is best for Bowles is to allow JB to run the O and stay out of his way. He surely can’t help the O, he should let jermery sink or swim without interference. He should concentrate on why we brought him here, for a dominate D. 

We've done this too many times.  You keep saying the GM needs to stop listening to his HC when drafting when there isnt a single shred of evidence that proves this to be the case other than too many seem to think that no GM would ever draft a D player so it has to be the work of his defensive background HC.

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We've done this too many times.  You keep saying the GM needs to stop listening to his HC when drafting when there isnt a single shred of evidence that proves this to be the case other than too many seem to think that no GM would ever draft a D player so it has to be the work of his defensive background HC.

so you are saying Mac too is just obsessed with drafting D with 90% of our premium picks ? Only shelling out big bucks for D FAs?  No evidence of that either ? Lol. The past 4 drafts, 4 free agency’s, is quite clear and damming evidence. there is not a team in the nfl who has neglected the O more then the jets. So if it is not Mac being influenced by Bowles, Mac needs to go too. Since he is the culprit who ignores the O and gives them the left overs, other than qb. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

so you are saying Mac too is just obsessed with drafting D with 90% of our premium picks ? Only shelling out big bucks for D FAs?  No evidence of that either ? Lol. The past 4 drafts, 4 free agency’s, is quite clear and damming evidence. there is not a team in the nfl who has neglected the O more then the jets. So if it is not Mac being influenced by Bowles, Mac needs to go too. Since he is the culprit who ignores the O and gives them the left overs, other than qb. 

Im saying the GM makes the picks.  Im saying there isnt a chance in hell that 90 % of our premium picks were made by Todd Bowles.  I think youre assuming that all defensive selections are made by the HC.  And what you really want and would be happy with, today, is if 90% of our picks were made by an offensive HC.

Until that happened for a few years and then we would have the complete opposite complaints.  

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Im saying the GM makes the picks.  Im saying there isnt a chance in hell that 90 % of our premium picks were made by Todd Bowles.  I think youre assuming that all defensive selections are made by the HC.  And what you really want and would be happy with, today, is if 90% of our picks were made by an offensive HC.

Until that happened for a few years and then we would have the complete opposite complaints.  

Lol. You do admit at the very least Todd Bowles is happier when Mac drafts a D player over an O player ? Do you honestly believe Bowles tells Mac “ hey I really like this wide out in 3rd round ? Lol. Mac doesn’t seem like a control freak. I’ve read before Mac does often try to give what his HC wants . What gm wouldn’t? Well we need a O minded HC to demand his gm pick mostly O to balance out the horrendous neglect of O the past decade. If Mac refuses to listen to his new O minded HC, we will then know it was Mac Who also had the D obsession. We can hire a more rounded HC/gm.

25 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

This. If Macc was doing this without being overly influenced by his HC it sure doesn't make him look better.

6 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol. You do admit at the very least Todd Bowles is happier when Mac drafts a D player over an O player ? Do you honestly believe Bowles tells Mac “ hey I really like this wide out in 3rd round ? Lol. Mac doesn’t seem like a control freak. I’ve read before Mac does often try to give what his HC wants . What gm wouldn’t? Well we need a O minded HC to demand his HC pick mostly O to balance out the horrendous neglect of O. If Mac refuses to listen to his new O minded HC, we will then know it was Mac Who also had the D obsession. We can hire a more rounded HC/gm.

Actually I dont admit that for a second.  I would think that there have been times when both would have wanted help at a O position and were disappointed that there wasn't a player at that position to justify the draft slot.  Thats the luck of the draft.  

Yes, if a GM is torn between two players, sees the difference in draft standing and or need negligible he should take a player that the HC is voting for.  But I dont think thats anywhere close to 90% of their picks.  Huge difference between the rare situation and a blanket statement

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually I dont admit that for a second.  I would think that there have been times when both would have wanted help at a O position and were disappointed that there wasn't a player at that position to justify the draft slot.  Thats the luck of the draft.  

Yes, if a GM is torn between two players, sees the difference in draft standing and or need negligible he should take a player that the HC is voting for.  But I dont think thats anywhere close to 90% of their picks.  Huge difference between the rare situation and a blanket statement

Lol well you bring up a good another good point.  Mac is obsessed with BPA.. This is a offensive driven league. Pass rushers and OL. Why haven’t we drafted either ? Because they are considered to be extremely valuable in this league. Mac would rather pick a safety, DL, based on BPA, than reach slightly for a premium position as OL, edge rusher. Why many of our top picks have been “ interior DL, and safeties. They are positions that are toward bottom of importance in nfl..

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What he is clearly inferring is that at any decision-point there is more than one way a team can go. Even a supposed draft cheatsheet hierarchy neither written in stone nor definitive (obviously, from looking at our picks' success rates). So with multiple, theoretically-equivalent options are there at a particular juncture, even a feather-touch of Bowles putting his thumb on the scale is enough to influence the pick.

He's not saying Bowles is really the one making 90% of the picks; he's saying Bowles has an influence, which I take for granted is the case on pretty much every team.

In the end the individual decision is still Macc's to make, so the blame is his when most of our picks are crap. The point is more that he'd likely make at least some different decisions if his HC was a former pass-happy QBC turned OC rather than a former DBC turned DC. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol well you bring up a good another good point.  Mac is obsessed with BPA.. This is a offensive driven league. Pass rushers and OL. Why haven’t we drafted either ? Because they are considered to be extremely valuable in this league. Mac would rather pick a safety, DL, based on BPA, than reach slightly for a premium position as OL, edge rusher. Why many of our top picks have been “ interior DL, and safeties. They are positions that are toward bottom of importance in nfl..

also no coincidence that he's been shopping around the league for OL and pass rushers. 

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

So who was the OL who we should have reached slightly?

When you're picking 6 you don't reach down for a player who is projected 15 spots down?  Didn't the first OL go 20th and the second 32nd overall?  So this leads you to believe if there was a OL who was as highly regarded as Adams he wouldn't have drafted him?  

It is what it is, its water under the bridge nothings changing what happened or make imaginary situations true.  As I said, weve done this before, its opinion without facts backing anything up either way. Done

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What he is clearly inferring is that at any decision-point there is more than one way a team can go. Even a supposed draft cheatsheet hierarchy neither written in stone nor definitive (obviously, from looking at our picks' success rates). So with multiple, theoretically-equivalent options are there at a particular juncture, even a feather-touch of Bowles putting his thumb on the scale is enough to influence the pick.

He's not saying Bowles is really the one making 90% of the picks; he's saying Bowles has an influence, which I take for granted is the case on pretty much every team.

In the end the individual decision is still Macc's to make, so the blame is his when most of our picks are crap. The point is more that he'd likely make at least some different decisions if his HC was a former pass-happy QBC turned OC rather than a former DBC turned DC. 

And I clearly said that there will be situations where the GM, any GM, takes the HCs wishes into consideration.  I am also saying that if a GM thinks strongly that his player is the pick in a spot hes not changing his pick no matter how hard the HC lobbies for his guy.  Think Parcells and Terry Glenn.  

I look at a D HC and I ask, why wouldnt a guy who was a successful DC, who has to have strong feelings on what kinds of Os give teams problems defending not want that kind of team.  Why is it assumed that a D HC is more concerned with overloading his defense as opposed to building the hardest team to beat overall.  

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So who was the OL who we should have reached slightly?

When you're picking 6 you don't reach down for a player who is projected 15 spots down?  Didn't the first OL go 20th and the second 32nd overall?  So this leads you to believe if there was a OL who was as highly regarded as Adams he wouldn't have drafted him?  

It is what it is, its water under the bridge nothings changing what happened or make imaginary situations true.  As I said, weve done this before, its opinion without facts backing anything up either way. Done

I’m not saying this yr, or just last yr. I’m saying “ every yr” since Mac has been here. DL and safeties, how many times within first 3 rounds ? Just luck of the draft right ?  ?

10 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I’m not saying this yr, or just last yr. I’m saying “ every yr” since Mac has been here. DL and safeties, how many times within first 3 rounds ? Just luck of the draft right ?  ?

2016 a OL didnt go until 11 spots after we picked.   I guess in 2015 we could have gone with Flowers, who went 3 spots lower over Williams.  

Yeah sometimes trying to beef up a position with those surer fire 1st rounders, you are bound by luck of that years draft.  Its why if I was GM of the Giants I would have taken a QB this year with so many viable options.  When theyre looking for Elis replacement they better hope there is a real candidate there for them.  Its like when we picked 1st, needed a QB and were stuck looking at a WR

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And I clearly said that there will be situations where the GM, any GM, takes the HCs wishes into consideration.  I am also saying that if a GM thinks strongly that his player is the pick in a spot hes not changing his pick no matter how hard the HC lobbies for his guy.  Think Parcells and Terry Glenn.  

I look at a D HC and I ask, why wouldnt a guy who was a successful DC, who has to have strong feelings on what kinds of Os give teams problems defending not want that kind of team.  Why is it assumed that a D HC is more concerned with overloading his defense as opposed to building the hardest team to beat overall.  

It is assumed because it is so common. A D HC is going to put his own stamp on the team more on the defensive side than on the offensive side, so he's going to be more interested in a player that can further showing his strength than one that doesn't. 

The GM should always take his HCs wishes into consideration. That doesn't mean he should seemingly succumb to them so often. 

He's just bad at drafting and bad at prioritizing whom to draft independent of his HC's leanings. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The GM should always take his HCs wishes into consideration. That doesn't mean he should seemingly succumb to them so often. 

Here we agree.  And I assume given the GM is ultimately kept or fired by his picks he wouldnt want to lose his job over what his HC wants

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

2016 a OL didnt go until 11 spots after we picked.   I guess in 2015 we could have gone with Flowers, who went 3 spots lower over Williams.  

Yeah sometimes trying to beef up a position with those surer fire 1st rounders, you are bound by luck of that years draft.  

How about the rest of the draft? 

LT is the only OL position that is so disproportionately filled in round 1. The rest are found all over (though duh earlier is typically going to be a better prospect than later).

You can look at any one selection, but doing so can easily miss the forest for the trees. You have to admit it's pretty damning for a team to have drafted zero OL prospects prior to round 5 in all 4 out of 4 drafts. It's an outlier no one would expect unless the team is already young and rock-solid 5-across. Even then you'd take at least 1 just for depth and roster flexibility.

Or anyway, if you're going to deviate from this path and pass up every early and mid-round opportunity you'd better hit on every pick when such opportunities were there.

Archived