2019 Head Coaching Candiates

GreenWhite

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

How about the rest of the draft? 

LT is the only OL position that is so disproportionately filled in round 1. The rest are found all over (though duh earlier is typically going to be a better prospect than later).

You can look at any one selection, but doing so can easily miss the forest for the trees. You have to admit it's pretty damning for a team to have drafted zero OL prospects prior to round 5 in all 4 out of 4 drafts. It's an outlier no one would expect unless the team is already young and rock-solid 5-across. Even then you'd take at least 1 just for depth and roster flexibility.

Or anyway, if you're going to deviate from this path and pass up every early and mid-round opportunity you'd better hit on every pick when such opportunities were there.

He brought up all the top picks going to the D.  After the top picks it becomes more of a crapshoot and you can justify reaching down for someone not as highly rated.  But in the first if there isnt a option whos within 15 spots of your pick and its a highly regarded player like Williams or Adams how do you justify making the reach?  Without the benefit of looking back years later?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He brought up all the top picks going to the D.  After the top picks it becomes more of a crapshoot and you can justify reaching down for someone not as highly rated.  But in the first if there isnt a option whos within 15 spots of your pick and its a highly regarded player like Williams or Adams how do you justify making the reach?  Without the benefit of looking back years later?

I don't take "all the top picks" as meaning only 1st round picks. Even still, there are other things to do beyond reaching, as you're suggesting, and these things are quite commonly done.

For example, since you brought up Adams, I'd far rather they traded out of the #6 pick than take a safety that high in a safety-rich draft. And it's hardly hindsight. I said it at the time, as did many others. To take a safety there he has to basically be a HOFer.

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't take "all the top picks" as meaning only 1st round picks. Even still, there are other things to do beyond reaching, as you're suggesting, and these things are quite commonly done.

For example, since you brought up Adams, I'd far rather they traded out of the #6 pick than take a safety that high in a safety-rich draft. And it's hardly hindsight. I said it at the time, as did many others. To take a safety there he has to basically be a HOFer.

I understand the value of Adams.  I dont have a problem with the pick.  I dont see how trading down and getting two lesser players is necessarily an upgrade to a lineup.  Parcells did that with our top pick, kept trading down for more and we wound up with a lot of mediocre players instead of O Pace, if I remember correctly.

Its not a given by any stretch

28 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Does it not sound stupid when you say Mac needs a better head coach to be better at picking players in the draft? That's what is basically being said here. 

what? who the heck is saying that? People are saying that Mac is giving Bowles the players he wants, its that simple. Mac and Bowles equally report to Woody, that is the power structure setup. There is a reason Bowles is at the combine, in the draft room, scouting players, etc. It means both Mac and Bowles suck equally.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I understand the value of Adams.  I dont have a problem with the pick.  I dont see how trading down and getting two lesser players is necessarily an upgrade to a lineup.  Parcells did that with our top pick, kept trading down for more and we wound up with a lot of mediocre players instead of O Pace, if I remember correctly.

Its not a given by any stretch

Who says they’re automatically lesser players or less valuable players (let alone that the combination of such players are also of lesser value)? There is no “always” rule; otherwise nobody would fail to trade up in round 1 every single year. Meanwhile we don’t know for certain whether or not Adams would have lasted past pick 10 if we didn’t take him there, just like if he’d taken OJ Howard there (like many wanted) they’d assume a pick that high was necessary to draft him, rather than lasting to 19, and no shortage of others just like that. Freaking Rodgers was projected as high as #2-3 (certainly top 10), then went #22, and he’s a QB not a friggin’ safety.

Also Parcells in 1997 is a terrible example because he accepted criminally-low value for the picks and then generally selected poorly with the picks on top of it. It’s exception more than a rule, because he was a crappy negotiator who all but announced to the world that he wanted to trade down no matter what (starting with not committing to drafting Peyton Manning outright). If he’d gotten appropriate value for moving down from 1 to 6, and then again from 6 to 8 (in a draft with what was perceived as 6 “blue chip” prospects) he should have ended up with a whole lot more than #8 plus garbage. Pick 1 was Pace, but pick 6 was Walter Jones. Trading down from #1 should have netted more along the lines of Tony Gonzalez and Tarik Glenn; not Farrior, Dedric Ward, Blake Spence and whatever other late round scrubs he picked. No GM has ever given up so much and received so much less in return to my recollection, and that was over 20 years ago.

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Who says they’re automatically lesser players or less valuable players (let alone that the combination of such players are also of lesser value)? There is no “always” rule; otherwise nobody would fail to trade up in round 1 every single year. Meanwhile we don’t know for certain whether or not Adams would have lasted past pick 10 if we didn’t take him there, just like if he’d taken OJ Howard there (like many wanted) they’d assume a pick that high was necessary to draft him, rather than lasting to 19, and no shortage of others just like that. Freaking Rodgers was projected as high as #2-3 (certainly top 10), then went #22, and he’s a QB not a friggin’ safety.

Also Parcells in 1997 is a terrible example because he accepted criminally-low value for the picks and then generally selected poorly with the picks on top of it. It’s exception more than a rule, because he was a crappy negotiator who all but announced to the world that he wanted to trade down no matter what (starting with not committing to drafting Peyton Manning outright). If he’d gotten appropriate value for moving down from 1 to 6, and then again from 6 to 8 (in a draft with what was perceived as 6 “blue chip” prospects) he should have ended up with a whole lot more than #8 plus garbage. Pick 1 was Pace, but pick 6 was Walter Jones. Trading down from #1 should have netted more along the lines of Tony Gonzalez and Tarik Glenn; not Farrior, Dedric Ward, Blake Spence and whatever other late round scrubs he picked. No GM has ever given up so much and received so much less in return to my recollection, and that was over 20 years ago.

I really wasn't looking to start a debate over who sucks at drafting.  Just that its not a given that trading down is a recipe for success.  The answer 20 years after the fact that he didn't get enough isnt three point   None of the people I know were complaining at the time.  Just as I don't know anyone who was crying when Howard want picked. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I really wasn't looking to start a debate over who sucks at drafting.  Just thats not a given that trading down is a recipe for success.  The answer 20 years after the fact that he didn't get enough isnt three point   None of the people I know were complaining at the time.  

It’s that you used the single worst and most ridiculous outlier from >20 years ago as justification.

I don’t know how many people you know, but too many worshiped any decision Parcells made — especially within those first months of replacing Kotite, when Jets fans were willing to go along with anything, figuring he just knew better.

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It’s that you used the single worst and most ridiculous outlier to justify not trading down

It's an example is how it can not work.  No matter how bad it was it happened looking back after the fact and could easily happen again. Belichick is the king of trading down with very mixed results.  Plenty of trade down don't work.  There is no guaranteed program that ensures success.  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It's an example is how it can not work.  No matter how bad it was it happened looking back after the fact and could easily happen again. Belichick is the king of trading down with very mixed results.  Plenty of trade down don't work.  There is no guaranteed program that ensures success.  

It’s a bad example. 

Belichick can do what he wants because he is a superior coach, has Tom Brady, he cheats, and isn’t a scout by trade. When Maccagnan becomes a HOF HC who personally develops the next Tom Brady and dominates the division for 2 decades he can then be given this lattitude. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It’s a bad example. 

Belichick can do what he wants because he is a superior coach, has Tom Brady, he cheats, and isn’t a scout by trade. When Maccagnan becomes a HOF HC who personally develops the next Tom Brady and dominates the division for 2 decades he can then be given this lattitude. 

For you LOL, you want to blow of the times it didn't work here and then come up with excuses for the times it doesn't work in NE.  

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

Does it not sound stupid when you say Mac needs a better head coach to be better at picking players in the draft? That's what is basically being said here. 

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

what? who the heck is saying that? People are saying that Mac is giving Bowles the players he wants, its that simple. Mac and Bowles equally report to Woody, that is the power structure setup. There is a reason Bowles is at the combine, in the draft room, scouting players, etc. It means both Mac and Bowles suck equally.

The Jets are not the only franchise to employ this structure. Crosstown the Giants have also done the same since I believe George Young. 

You're telling me posters don't believe Bowles is the GM of this team? Read the thread, and plenty of other threads on here. 

You've pretty much said the same.

8 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

The Jets are not the only franchise to employ this structure. Crosstown the Giants have also done the same since I believe George Young. 

You're telling me posters don't believe Bowles is the GM of this team? Read the thread, and plenty of other threads on here. 

Head Coaches certainly have input in the draft but the GM ultimately calls the shots.  If he doesn’t he is a clown

I believe Bowles has a major say in the roster, shocking, I know

3 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Oh, sorry, didn’t realize I could only reply to posts directed at me, I’ll be more cautious next time 

Yeah I didn't say that either

The original post wasn't directed at you specifically. For some reason you felt it did.

As you can see, you felt my post was directed at you. You had some impulse because I pointed out how stupid some of the posts are referring to Bowles being the GM. Respond to whoever you want, don't bother me. Your response was probably because it bothers you when someone like me points out how stupid the Bowles hate comes off. 

On 9/2/2018 at 10:26 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Just a year after getting an extension, there are only 2 ways Bowles gets fired this year:

1. The Jets finish with 4 wins or fewer.

2. There's another indication he doesn't have control of the team. Based on the current roster makeup I think this is unlikely.

He'll have a build-in excuse on offense (rookie QB plus a bad OL) and defense (no edge rusher, and maybe an injury, despite getting what he's wanted at the other 10 starting positions). I think they're weak excuses that don't wash away the types of decisions he's made, but those will be the excuses. 

I don't think we'll see #1 either. 4 games against the Bills and Dolphins should net 2-3 wins, plus Cleveland again, and the Colts, Texans, and Bengals... there ought to be at least 5 wins in that half of the schedule. Plus there's always the chance we play a game or two against teams with injuries to their key starters again among the rest. Darnold would have to be hideous to lose them all - or all but a few - in which case Bowles would have his excuse.

He's coming back in 2019. Accept it.

Bowles seems as safe as can be but I don't like him and haven't since he quit against Denver. I don't think the ownership has a clue on how to do better than this guy whether it is Chris or Woody Johnson. They will keep him until the team has undeniable talent but still can't win. I can see him lasting as long as Joe Walton.

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So who was the OL who we should have reached slightly?

When you're picking 6 you don't reach down for a player who is projected 15 spots down?  Didn't the first OL go 20th and the second 32nd overall?  So this leads you to believe if there was a OL who was as highly regarded as Adams he wouldn't have drafted him?  

It is what it is, its water under the bridge nothings changing what happened or make imaginary situations true.  As I said, weve done this before, its opinion without facts backing anything up either way. Done

This is a topic near and dear to me so I'll bite.   

The 2017 draft was set up for the Jets to do 1 of 2 things: 

1) go all in on Mahomes or Watson at #6.   The team has been starved for a FQB for 30+ years and both were available at 6.   If you want to draft a safety they could have easily used the 2nd rd pick on Maye or another S.   

2) if you don't like the QB's then you take the deal to move down.   The Jets could have done a little better than the Bills or Browns but for argument sake lets say they took the Bills deal.   The Jets then move down to pick 27, add a 3rd rd pick in 2017 and a 1st rd pick in 2018.   At pick #27 the Jets have access to CB tredavious White (who buf took) or Ramczyk to play OT.  

Adams was drafted to be a "leader of men" and help change the culture of the team.   This is the HC's job.   Macc essentially blew a high first rd pick to help fix a broken culture created by a HC who refused to bench veteran players that put no effort in on Sundays and routinely blew off meetings.   

Safety is not a high value position in the NFL.  The jets could sign any number of serviceable safeties for a little above the league minimum.   Instead, they used not 1 but 2 high picks to a fill a non-value position.   not only is this an egregious use of draft capital but it creates long-term contract issues as Adams is going to be overpaid heading into FA - and the middle of the field was porous as ever last season.   

Other than Darnold, Macc has shown a total incomprehension of today's NFL and continues to improperly draft picks based on position.   The best safety in the NFL doesn't have the same relative value as an LT, CB, or WR.   Couple that with a total inability to identify talent and you have one of the worst top-to-bottom rosters in the NFL.    

10 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

1) go all in on Mahomes or Watson at #6.   The team has been starved for a FQB for 30+ years and both were available at 6.   If you want to draft a safety they could have easily used the 2nd rd pick on Maye or another S.   

2) if you don't like the QB's then you take the deal to move down.   The Jets could have done a little better than the Bills or Browns but for argument sake lets say they took the Bills deal.   The Jets then move down to pick 27, add a 3rd rd pick in 2017 and a 1st rd pick in 2018.   At pick #27 the Jets have access to CB tredavious White (who buf took) or Ramczyk to play OT.  

Adams was drafted to be a "leader of men" and help change the culture of the team.   This is the HC's job.   Macc essentially blew a high first rd pick to help fix a broken culture created by a HC who refused to bench veteran players that put no effort in on Sundays and routinely blew off meetings.   

Safety is not a high value position in the NFL.  The jets could sign any number of serviceable safeties for a little above the league minimum.   Instead, they used not 1 but 2 high picks to a fill a non-value position.   not only is this an egregious use of draft capital but it creates long-term contract issues as Adams is going to be overpaid heading into FA - and the middle of the field was porous as ever last season.   

Other than Darnold, Macc has shown a total incomprehension of today's NFL and continues to improperly draft picks based on position.   The best safety in the NFL doesn't have the same relative value as an LT, CB, or WR.   Couple that with a total inability to identify talent and you have one of the worst top-to-bottom rosters in the NFL.    

I didn’t like the selection of Jamal Adams. Nor Maye. And I don’t disagree with any of the above post (really good, thoughtful post btw)  

But I vehemently disagree with the posters here that say Adams will be out of the league after his rookie contract, and that he is worse than Vernon Gholston (yes, the anti-Adams brigade makes these statements).

Guess I’m saying that I’m over where Adams was picked, I love his character and passion for the game, and I think that he can and will improve as a player. We have many other issues with this team, Jamal Adams simply isn’t near the top of the list. 

15 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

If McCagnan picked Lattimore I woudnt have crushed him. 

What good are two safetys when you have to pay $22MM on free agent starting CBs. 

Unless it's someone such as Jim Harbaugh along with his .695% winning percentage? 

I wouldn't be in a rush to quit on coach Todd Bowles, at least not after only his first three years under a complete team rebuild I wouldn't.

Some of the greatest head coaches of all-time had below .500 records after their first three seasons of head coaching.

Tom Landry: 9-28 (.243%).
Chuck Noll: 12-30 (.285%).
Weeb Ewbank: 13-22 (.371%).
Marv Levy: 19-29 (.395%).
Jimmy Johnson: 19-29 (.395%).
Dick Vermeil: 18-26 (.409%).
Bill Belichick: 20-28 (.416%). 
Bill Walsh: 21-27 (.437%).
Mike Shanahan: 16-20 (.444%).
Bill Parcells: 22-25 (.468%).

I feel that both Bowles and Maccagnan deserve another three seasons in order to truly complete this team rebuild. 

1.) Darnold's rookie year (2018).         

2.) Projected 1st in available salary cap space (2019).                                 

3.) Projected 2nd in available salary cap space (2020). 

By then we could have a perennial contender and kings of the AFC East (unless Brady plays until 45). 

26 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Unless it's someone such as Jim Harbaugh along with his .695% winning percentage? 

I wouldn't be in a rush to quit on coach Todd Bowles, at least not after only his first three years under a complete team rebuild I wouldn't.

Some of the greatest head coaches of all-time had below .500 records after their first three seasons of head coaching.

Tom Landry: 9-28 (.243%).
Chuck Noll: 12-30 (.285%).
Weeb Ewbank: 13-22 (.371%).
Marv Levy: 19-29 (.395%).
Jimmy Johnson: 19-29 (.395%).
Dick Vermeil: 18-26 (.409%).
Bill Belichick: 20-28 (.416%). 
Bill Walsh: 21-27 (.437%).
Mike Shanahan: 16-20 (.444%).
Bill Parcells: 22-25 (.468%).

I feel that both Bowles and Maccagnan deserve another three seasons in order to truly complete this team rebuild. 

1.) Darnold's rookie year (2018).         

2.) Projected 1st in available salary cap space (2019).                                 

3.) Projected 2nd in available salary cap space (2020). 

By then we could have a perennial contender and kings of the AFC East (unless Brady plays until 45). 

if Mike Shanahan is one of the greatest coaches of all-time why not just hire him instead of Bowles?   

6 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Bowles seems as safe as can be but I don't like him and haven't since he quit against Denver. I don't think the ownership has a clue on how to do better than this guy whether it is Chris or Woody Johnson. They will keep him until the team has undeniable talent but still can't win. I can see him lasting as long as Joe Walton.

Bowles right now has more job security than Bill Belichick.  That is scary.

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

For you LOL, you want to blow of the times it didn't work here and then come up with excuses for the times it doesn't work in NE.  

You went back over 20 years to find an example of a GM who got the worst trade value imaginable, then drafted poorly on top of that, as proof positive. Parcells traded down from #1 to #8 and I think the highest pick he got in return was a high 3rd rounder (which he then gave away in another bad trade). To use that as an example of anything other than Tuna getting repeatedly swindled, to the delight of the teams that traded with him. It would never and could never happen today, and any NFL fan should realize this. 

The issue with using NE as an example is not merely the poor drafting, but more significantly - and probably partly related to it - is they always start out with a low 1st rounder as a baseline then trade down out of reach of all the top 20-30 prospects in the entire draft class. It's not in the same rational galaxy as starting with a #6 (or #1) overall pick and then moving down but still well within reach of multiple high pick prospects in return. 

Neither of them are relevant unless the idea is to use an outlier on one hand, and the original 1st round pick being #26-32 on the other hand.

Want to try again?

7 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

1. Bust rate for CB and WR is huge- no one wanted to draft a CB after Milliner. CB is the strongest position on this team. 

2. There were no can’t miss WR prospects that the Jets passed on- WR is the second deepest unit on the team.

3. I’d rather have Adams than white or Ramzyc

4. Is MUCH rather have Darnold than mahomes or Watson. I need to see a hell lot of more sustained success to believe Watson is more than RG3/Kaepernick/Vince young. Mahomes to me is a big arm with not a lot of “QB” in him... we’ll see on him. 

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Aren't those two thoughts a bit contradictory?  Those guys needed a change in scenery to blossom, but Bowles is going to do it here?  Honest question, anybody you can think of that learned their lesson and went from "eh" (at best" to good/great HC with the same team? 

Parcells for one.

8 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

1. I agree.  In a perfect world.  I get they didnt like the QBs, enough to draft at 6.  I wanted Watson and would have gone for him but totally understand why someone wouldnt.  He had accuracy issues, INT issues and questions over his arm strength.  But to me he was a winner.  Mahomes is a different story.  I would have freaked if we used a 6 to take what a month before the draft was a day 2 QB who climbed the draft board because he showed a arm at the combine and that wiped out that he played in a gimmick offense, made poor decisions and wasnt all that accurate.

2. I dont think we have any idea that they did or didnt try to move down.  There is the distinct possibility that they wanted to and coudnt find the right trade partner willing to make a deal they were interested in.  You cant just say, I want to trade down and have it come through.  Its a lot harder trading out of 6 than 26.  Takes more to get equal value and you have to have a team that is targeting someone at 6.  Without a clear cut QB thats hard.  No QB deserved the 6th pick.  

Jamal Adams was not picked to be a leader of men.  Thats nonsense from the Adams sucks contingent.  He was drafted at 6 because he was the 3rd ranked player in the draft, at worse a top 5.  He was a stud at LSU and a blue chip prospect.  Oh and he happens to be considered a leader.  This somehow gets a small handful of Jets fans balls twisted.  The whole idea that S is a low value pick is something you only read here.  Funny, I always remember how the Colts were two different teams, the one that struggled without Sanders at S and the one that was a completely different D and team with Sanders.  The whole idea that BPA is some crazy idiot way of drafting is pretty funny 

8 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I didn’t like the selection of Jamal Adams. Nor Maye. And I don’t disagree with any of the above post (really good, thoughtful post btw)  

But I vehemently disagree with the posters here that say Adams will be out of the league after his rookie contract, and that he is worse than Vernon Gholston (yes, the anti-Adams brigade makes these statements).

Guess I’m saying that I’m over where Adams was picked, I love his character and passion for the game, and I think that he can and will improve as a player. We have many other issues with this team, Jamal Adams simply isn’t near the top of the list. 

Preface this with saying Adams appears to be a good guy and may be a very good safety. But that's been the point-he's a safety. You can get decent JAG safeties on the street. Not saying Adams will be out of the NFL, merely that figure Adams is a servicable safety the Jets will feel compelled to overpay him because of his draft position(Maye too). Jets filled 2 nonpremium slots while losing the opportunity to fill  premium slots, be that OL(Ramcyzk), edge(Watt) or QB(Watson or Mahomes). 

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

1. I agree.  In a perfect world.  I get they didnt like the QBs, enough to draft at 6.  I wanted Watson and would have gone for him but totally understand why someone wouldnt.  He had accuracy issues, INT issues and questions over his arm strength.  But to me he was a winner.  Mahomes is a different story.  I would have freaked if we used a 6 to take what a month before the draft was a day 2 QB who climbed the draft board because he showed a arm at the combine and that wiped out that he played in a gimmick offense, made poor decisions and wasnt all that accurate.

2. I dont think we have any idea that they did or didnt try to move down.  There is the distinct possibility that they wanted to and coudnt find the right trade partner willing to make a deal they were interested in.  You cant just say, I want to trade down and have it come through.  Its a lot harder trading out of 6 than 26.  Takes more to get equal value and you have to have a team that is targeting someone at 6.  Without a clear cut QB thats hard.  No QB deserved the 6th pick.  

Jamal Adams was not picked to be a leader of men.  Thats nonsense from the Adams sucks contingent.  He was drafted at 6 because he was the 3rd ranked player in the draft, at worse a top 5.  He was a stud at LSU and a blue chip prospect.  Oh and he happens to be considered a leader.  This somehow gets a small handful of Jets fans balls twisted.  The whole idea that S is a low value pick is something you only read here.  Funny, I always remember how the Colts were two different teams, the one that struggled without Sanders at S and the one that was a completely different D and team with Sanders.  The whole idea that BPA is some crazy idiot way of drafting is pretty funny 

If your draft board has a safety as the 3rd best player, you need to fire the GM or head of scouting who made the board, PERIOD, FULL STOP, END OFF__ING STORY. That's a total misallocation of resources. 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

If your draft board has a safety as the 3rd best player, you need to fire the GM or head of scouting who made the board, PERIOD, FULL STOP, END OFF__ING STORY. That's a total misallocation of resources. 

Misallocation of resources.  Ok

Next up, misallocation of another 6 on a DL.  

Archived