2019 Head Coaching Candiates

GreenWhite

1 hour ago, KINGDIRK said:

I don’t see how Bowles survives if Ithe Jets go 6-10.

i understand the build in excuses argument but he simply cannot hide from:

4 year record becomes 26-38, with zero playoff appearances and three straight seasons of 5, 5 and 6 wins. 

So if Jets Win 5 or even 6 games then we really find out what our “new owner” is made of while doofus is overseas playing politics.

Doesn’t have to be splashy ala Harbaugh but someone who is offensive minded of course along with a strong OC and strong QB coach.

Our "new owner" rewarded back-to-back 5-win seasons with extensions for both the HC and GM. If they win 5 or 6 games it's an indictment on both of them, not just the HC.  I'd say they've already adequately been able to hide from built-in excuses and ownership has bought and accepted it:

Macc - "I didn't get to build the OL I wanted [after 4 years of drafting none in the first 4 rounds]. Not having a FQB in place entering year 4 [which is my own fault, especially after the last QB I drafted] is the reason FAs turned us down. We won't have that problem next year in FA, where I'm sure to find 3-5 new starting OLmen."

Macc - "I was willing to pay everything it took to get Khalil Mack except for an extra 1st rounder [which I'll use to draft a TE at #6 overall in 2020 if he's Kiper/Mayock's BAP]."

Macc - "Give me one more year. In one offseason, with our high 2nd rounder downgraded to a lower 3rd to start, I'm going to find an edge rusher, a better and more reliable LT, a LG, a good C, a good and reliable RG, and then my meh RT will be adequate enough. Also I'm going to find a TE with his head on straight, a starting NT, a more dynamic RB, and a reliable kicker." 

Bowles - "I'd have to look at the film first, but for now I'm fine with these excuses." :) 

All kidding aside, without getting into the specifics of all he's lacking, Bowles can and will sit back and say "I won 10 games in 2015 - with Ryan friggin' Fitzpatrick at QB - when the rest of the team was good enough to regularly compete that year."

There are scheduling/weather reasons why that same 2015 team could have easily won only 7: including 2 coin-toss OT wins off the bat, fueled by a missed NYG FG and the no-WR Patriots electing to kick just to start; then the 12-win Cowboys on our preseason schedule became the 4-win Matt Cassel/Kellen Moore Cowboys when we faced them; the Skins being without at least 6 key starters in our game; the unexpected mess that the Colts' Luck became, and Gore fumbling untouched on our 5; etc. The larger point being a lot just went our way more than we were a top team with a SB-caliber coach. Still less of the success can be pinned on his coaching prowess when we found out on a weekly basis, after his initial coaches' discussion with Gailey at the start of the week, he supposedly didn't attend a single offensive meeting that season where his players were also in attendance.

We know all this, but it doesn't matter: in the end wins are wins and - barring another locker room meltdown - he'll still be able to rest on that first season when the whole country knows the next 2 rosters were inadequate for serious contention. So his line will be "Year 1 with a decent team I won 10 games. My real year 2 we won 6 games but I was starting a rookie QB and can pin 2-3 losses on him directly, not to mention how starting a rookie QB colors your gameplan in advance, a crap OL with injuries that made it even worse, and a 4th year in 4 that I wasn't provided with an edge rusher. Judge me next year."

They're both coming back unless there's a locker room revolt or they win only 3-4 games, neither of which is likely to happen.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if Bowles is unable to coach up a top 12 defense, then he’s toast. No more excuses on that side of the ball- he has a top corner, solid safety group and a descent line. If the offense excels, then it’s not because of him. With that being said, Harbough is the man, but then say goodbye to Macc. But I think you go offensive coach all the way to harness the young qb. I think bates would fit perfectly because he has an established repoir with darnold. They would need to find a proven defensive coach to straighten out that side of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, JetsYanks13 said:

I think if Bowles is unable to coach up a top 12 defense, then he’s toast. No more excuses on that side of the ball- he has a top corner, solid safety group and a descent line. If the offense excels, then it’s not because of him. With that being said, Harbough is the man, but then say goodbye to Macc. But I think you go offensive coach all the way to harness the young qb. I think bates would fit perfectly because he has an established repoir with darnold. They would need to find a proven defensive coach to straighten out that side of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yes. And this relates to 2018 performance, so this entire thread is a bit premature.

31 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Our "new owner" rewarded back-to-back 5-win seasons with extensions for both the HC and GM. If they win 5 or 6 games it's an indictment on both of them, not just the HC.  I'd say they've already adequately been able to hide from built-in excuses and ownership has bought and accepted it:

Macc - "I didn't get to build the OL I wanted [after 4 years of drafting none in the first 4 rounds]. Not having a FQB in place entering year 4 [which is my own fault, especially after the last QB I drafted] is the reason FAs turned us down. We won't have that problem next year in FA, where I'm sure to find 3-5 new starting OLmen."

Macc - "I was willing to pay everything it took to get Khalil Mack except for an extra 1st rounder [which I'll use to draft a TE at #6 overall in 2020 if he's Kiper/Mayock's BAP]."

Macc - "Give me one more year. In one offseason, with our high 2nd rounder downgraded to a lower 3rd to start, I'm going to find an edge rusher, a better and more reliable LT, a LG, a good C, a good and reliable RG, and then my meh RT will be adequate enough. Also I'm going to find a TE with his head on straight, a starting NT, a more dynamic RB, and a reliable kicker." 

Bowles - "I'd have to look at the film first, but for now I'm fine with these excuses." :) 

All kidding aside, without getting into the specifics of all he's lacking, Bowles can and will sit back and say "I won 10 games in 2015 - with Ryan friggin' Fitzpatrick at QB - when the rest of the team was good enough to regularly compete that year."

There are scheduling/weather reasons why that same 2015 team could have easily won only 7: including 2 coin-toss OT wins off the bat, fueled by a missed NYG FG and the no-WR Patriots electing to kick just to start; then the 12-win Cowboys on our preseason schedule became the 4-win Matt Cassel/Kellen Moore Cowboys when we faced them; the Skins being without at least 6 key starters in our game; the unexpected mess that the Colts' Luck became, and Gore fumbling untouched on our 5; etc. The larger point being a lot just went our way more than we were a top team with a SB-caliber coach. Still less of the success can be pinned on his coaching prowess when we found out on a weekly basis, after his initial coaches' discussion with Gailey at the start of the week, he supposedly didn't attend a single offensive meeting that season where his players were also in attendance.

We know all this, but it doesn't matter: in the end wins are wins and - barring another locker room meltdown - he'll still be able to rest on that first season when the whole country knows the next 2 rosters were inadequate for serious contention. So his line will be "Year 1 with a decent team I won 10 games. My real year 2 we won 6 games but I was starting a rookie QB and can pin 2-3 losses on him directly, not to mention how starting a rookie QB colors your gameplan in advance, a crap OL with injuries that made it even worse, and a 4th year in 4 that I wasn't provided with an edge rusher. Judge me next year."

They're both coming back unless there's a locker room revolt or they win only 3-4 games, neither of which is likely to happen.

Heres how its going to go.  And how your nightmare will continue

Theyre going to play well enough, win enough even with a incomplete team and a rookie QB to show potential.  No ones getting fired under those circumstances

They'll go into next offseason with some $100 mil in cap space and will add to the team, being major players in FA.  

2019 they contend, will be in the majority of their games and win a fair share of those games.  Thats not going to lead to a losing team. 

Youre nightmare continues. LOL

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

6-10 gets Bowles another extension 

Respectfully disagree. 6-10 and Bowles is gone while Mac survives. 

I think continuity is important but if Darnold shows he’s legit this year and we win 6 games I would love to clean house. 

Cleaning house with a potential 21 year old high end QB prospect is a LOT different than classic jets cleaning house projects. 

Todd needs to show that he can make the most of what he has.  He needs to show that he can lead this team to greater heights without elite talent at every position.  The team needs to be prepared every week.  If we are beat by superior talent that is one thing, but if we are consistently beat by not being prepared, disciplined and mentally tough then Todd needs to go.

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

That team had no talent and Geno Smith as it’s starting qb.  Rex should have won coach of the year for going 8-8

No, 100% totally wrong,  I've seen this said many times.  The team was awful and his defense was awful, they gave up so many huge plays it was embarrassing and they got ass kicked in pretty well all their losses.  The proof was in the pudding when they fell on their ass for two more years afterwards and rex coached exactly the same.

It's interesting that some coaches get a pass for having no talent in some years but are heaped with praised when the team has talent.  Rex was a terrible coach his last 3 years and the team would have been much farther ahead if he had been canned after the mirage 8-8 year.

7 hours ago, Larz said:

Excuse me sir, it's almost like you implied that I am wrong? 

I probably quoted myself ?

I understand the assumption and honestly, its more the other posts I read on here. Poster gives opinion and others will run with it as fact. not sure why I singled yours out. 

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No, 100% totally wrong,  I've seen this said many times.  The team was awful and his defense was awful, they gave up so many huge plays it was embarrassing and they got ass kicked in pretty well all their losses.  The proof was in the pudding when they fell on their ass for two more years afterwards and rex coached exactly the same.

It's interesting that some coaches get a pass for having no talent in some years but are heaped with praised when the team has talent.  Rex was a terrible coach his last 3 years and the team would have been much farther ahead if he had been canned after the mirage 8-8 year.

And that was because they had no talent and human turnover machine Geno as the starting qb.  Rex going 8-8 with that clown carnival Arena League roster was actually more impressive than the back to back AFCGs

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Theyre going to play well enough, win enough even with a incomplete team and a rookie QB to show potential.  No ones getting fired under those circumstances

They'll go into next offseason with some $100 mil in cap space and will add to the team, being major players in FA.  

2019 they contend, will be in the majority of their games and win a fair share of those games.  Thats not going to lead to a losing team. 

Yes, my nightmare of substandard drafting, FA signing, and coaching. Worse still would be showing just enough to again fool the Johnsons - hardly a difficult task - just enough for the nightmare to continue.

You love these things, though, and have loved these past years of failure and letdowns, and desire more of them.

The only remaining explanation is that you are a Patriots fan not a Jets fan. Actually that's not true; you could be a Dolphins fan.

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Re-living 2015-2016 to own the libs

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes, my nightmare of substandard drafting, FA signing, and coaching. Worse still would be showing just enough to again fool the Johnsons - hardly a difficult task; just enough for the nightmare to continue.

You love these things, though, and have loved these past years of failure and letdowns, and desire more of them.

The only remaining explanation is that you are a Patriots fan not a Jets fan. Actually that's not true; you could be a Dolphins fan.

Perhaps you missed the point.  They're set up to easily succeed moving forward. I get that would ruin your message.  Sorry.  In a fan who wants the Jets to win.  You want to complain about the past and the future.  

Your cany possibly come to the conclusion that I'm a Pats fan from this or any other post.  

I'd rather be happy hoping for them to get better at their jobs and win.  Winning apparently would piss you off. Yours have no nonsense too whine about. I would slit my wrists if I went through life this way.  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Perhaps you missed the point.  They're set up to easily succeed.  

Your cany possibly come to the conclusion that I'm a Pats fan from this or any other post.  

I'd rather be happy hoping for them to get better at their jobs and win.  Winning apparently would piss you off. Yours have no nonsense too whine about. I would slit my wrists if I went through life this way.  

You are clearly a Patriots fan.

Don't forget as a mod I can match your IP address, and see now that it aligns with 6 different banned Pats fans.

43 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Don't forget as a mod I can match your IP address, and see now that it aligns with 6 different banned Pats fans.

Go for it.  As a person when you find out how mistakes you are piss at the results

What I have to ask as a glass half full fan how am I the Pats fan? While the constant whining you put out doesn't make you a jet fan?  Bitching like a pats or fin fan with someone who wants the Jets to win?  

More failed logic on any level

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He's my father. 

I've tried to keep that under wraps for years because I didn't want people to think that we would tag team them in arguments (which we'd never do), but out of defense of him, I guess the secret is out.  Only a couple of people know, one if which is a fellow mod ( @Charlie Brown ) so he can back this up.  We had season tickets in my family from 1977-2013 before he got sick and had to give them up.  I can pretty much assure you that he's not a Pats fan.  A homer at times?  Yeah.  Even I give him sh*t for that.

I like you Sperm, and I'm not one to call out a mod, but saying that you "see now that his IP address aligns with 6 different banned Pats fans" is utter bullsh*t, and lying like that is not cool at all.

19 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He's my father.  I've tried to keep that under wraps for years because I didn't want people to think that we would tag team them in arguments (which we'd never do), but out of defense of him, I guess the secret is out.  Only a couple of people know, one if which is a fellow mod @Charlie Brown so he can back this up.  We had season tickets in my family from 1977-2013 before he got sick and had to give them up.  I can pretty much assure you that he's not a Pats fan.  A homer at times?  Yeah.  Even I give him sh*t for that.

I like you Sperm, and I'm not one to call out a mod, but saying that it aligns with "6 different banned Pats fans" is utter bullsh*t.

WOW I always assumed @Jet Nut was a young fan because of how feisty and optimistic he is about the Jets.

So I guess it was wrong of me to assume all the crankiness on here is from a poster being a Jet fan for decades and decades.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Your either are completely full of shlt or desperate.  And have not a clue how to work a computer.

I've been on the internet under this name since the early 90s.  I've been a Jets fan before you.  Had season Tix at Shea in 77.  Whar we're you doing in 1977?  You want to ban me, chastise me for being a fan.  Better yet accuse me of using different names.  Be a man, post the names if you're going to accuse. 

Whatever makes you happy is ok. I'd don't need this nonsense while you make baseless, ridiculous accusations

15 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

WOW I always assumed @Jet Nut was a young fan because of how feisty and optimistic he is about the Jets.

So I guess it was wrong of me to assume all the crankiness on here is from a poster being a Jet fan for decades and decades.

Hah. 

Yeah, believe it or not, the more jaded one (me) just turned 25 a couple of weeks ago.  

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

He's my father. 

I've tried to keep that under wraps for years because I didn't want people to think that we would tag team them in arguments (which we'd never do), but out of defense of him, I guess the secret is out.  Only a couple of people know, one if which is a fellow mod ( @Charlie Brown ) so he can back this up.  We had season tickets in my family from 1977-2013 before he got sick and had to give them up.  I can pretty much assure you that he's not a Pats fan.  A homer at times?  Yeah.  Even I give him sh*t for that.

I like you Sperm, and I'm not one to call out a mod, but saying that you "see now that his IP address aligns with 6 different banned Pats fans" is utter bullsh*t, and lying like that is not cool at all.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Your either are completely full of shlt or desperate.  And have not a clue how to work a computer.

I've been on the internet under this name since the early 90s.  I've been a Jets fan before you.  Had season Tix at Shea in 77.  Whar we're you doing in 1977?  You want to ban me, chastise me for being a fan.  Better yet accuse me of using different names.  Be a man, post the names if you're going to accuse. 

Whatever makes you happy is ok. I'd don't need this nonsense while you make baseless, ridiculous accusations

Lol, oh please, no one took that "a ha you have a Pats fan's IP -- no wait, SIX Pats fans' IP addresses" seriously. 

And I've never banned anyone who didn't break a board rule, let alone because of simple disagreements over the team's direction. Not one exception in what's now over a decade. 

BTW in 1977 I was in elementary school so you'll have to forgive me for not buying season tickets back then.

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Oh please, no one took that "a ha you have a Pats fan's IP" seriously.

And I've never banned anyone who didn't break a board rule, let alone because of simple disagreements over the team's direction. Not one exception in what's now over a decade. 

Whatever bs you want to paint Sperm.  If you're going to make accusations dont try to weasel out of your own words when you're proven wrong.  

So are you telling me that multiple names is allowable here?  Here I thought it was against pretty much every board.  Technically

W by cant you just say, sorry, I assumed you wrongly and move on.  I don't often agree with you but never take it to this level of attach

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Whatever bs you want to paint Sperm.  If you're going to make accusations done weasel out of your words when you're proven wrong.  

So are you also telling me that multiple names is allowable here?  

W by cant you just say, sorry, I assumed wrong.  

I have never looked up your IP address once.

And yes, many people have had other usernames here over the years.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I have never looked up your IP address once.

And yes, many people have had other usernames here over the years.

Then don't tell someone you looked up their iP address and found 6Pats names. I was ready to go off based on the accusation which would have been on you

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

He's my father. 

If my dad was Jet Nut I’d hide it for years also. I kid, I kid. Nice that Father and Son post here

2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

He had mogglez when he was 12. He’s only 29.

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

BTW in 1977 I was in elementary school so you'll have to forgive me for not buying season tickets back then.

A shame that’s right around the last time they were affordable

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

But done worry, no matter how ridiculous the debate, no matter how obvious the issue some clueless list soul will automatically give ou a mindless, brainless BF,. Ruining it's effectiveness.  

Careful. Down voting posts about Marko is how you summon Marko...

Archived