2019 Head Coaching Candiates

GreenWhite

33 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

How much more attractive than this ?

Sam Darnold and a very young roster with 100 mil to spend ...how much better does it get in the NFL when you tell a HC candidate here ya go, go mold me a winner.

Like building a mansion on Sacred Indian burial ground.

No matter how well build it in the end it will get poltergeisted to hell and shit

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Larz said:

UM alumnus Jim Harbaugh is making 7 mill this year 

That would make him the 5th highest paid coach in the NFL 

He also gets 2 cars and 16 tickets to every home game. 

Ok 

I'm Harbaugh pitch me on the Jets job 

Blank check.  Write your salary for the next 5 years guaranteed.  

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Sam Darnold and a very young roster with 100 mil to spend ...how much better does it get in the NFL when you tell a HC candidate here ya go, go mold me a winner.

We have immediate cap space but nothing in terms of a long-term talent base. It’s a young roster but Darnold at quarterback, no defensive end, no left tackle, no primary receiver, and Johnson at corner is a bad spot as far as the skill positions, and there’s not a whole lot of depth to speak of anywhere either. If Darnold gets good early in his rookie deal it helps a lot from a roster management perspective obviously but we’re gonna have to pay retail for a lot of stuff.

Then there’s the issue of control. I mean it’s easy for us to say just turn the keys over to somebody but in practice the Jets do not do that.

22 minutes ago, afjetsfan said:

Blank check.  Write your salary for the next 5 years guaranteed.  

Unsure about a blank cheque. It may be crazy, but imo Belichick could be out in NE after the season ( Retire). Make him the head of football operations.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This franchise has made countless moves and retentions that were tough to justify. I used to get shocked by these things, but nothing surprises me anymore.

Rex being extended off an 8-8 season acting like he had won something that mattered...

16 hours ago, GreenWhite said:

Let’s all assume that the team will stink again this year because of a rookie QB, below avg talent, and the worst HC in the NFL. 

Who do you want next year?

Candiates: 

Jim Harbaugh-Reports are coming out that he is on the hot seat after the loss to ND 

Todd Haley-If the Browns have a good year I think he could be an option

Jeremy Bates- If the offense performs well and Darnold likes him it could be a Lovie Smith/Dirk Kettering situation 

John DeFillipio-Jets seem to like him 

I would choose DeFillipio as my #1 target.

10 hours ago, Jets86 said:

Unsure about a blank cheque. It may be crazy, but imo Belichick could be out in NE after the season ( Retire). Make him the head of football operations.

He’s not coming here.  IF NE did force him out he’d go to the Giants 

22 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

This thread is an example of how no fans whine like Jets fans.

The ups and downs of following the team are frustrating sometimes but the downright brain-dead stupidity of a sizeable chunk of our so-called ‘fans’ sucks the joy out of following this team.

They actually deserve the fultility

21 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

IF Bowles survives this year and I think it’s more than likely, there absolutely has to be a playoff mandate next year.

Load up on smart FA aquisitions (mainly O-line-pass rusher), resign our FAs like our wideouts and hit next year hard. A 5th year competeive rebuild and then full blown rebuild is too much time but that has to be the absolute limit. I think we can all agree on that.

The only 2 “unexpected” years of 2015 and 2017 were due to fluke career years from Fitz and McCown. It has nothing to do with Todd Bowles coaching ability. Let’s hope the Jets do well in 2018 but this is the last year of “no expectations”. 

Not sure of the timing of Chris saying that there was no specific playoff mandate and the comments below but Chris has a shiny new toy and he loves it. I think Maccagnan earned himself 3 years with landing Darnold but Bowles fades the pressure of winning with him now. 

"I think people are going to look back," Johnson said at a charity event. "I honestly think they're going to look back 20 years from now and say that this is the moment that the Jets shifted into a new gear — that they became a great team."

Chris loves him some big Macc 

Johnson is also clearly very satisfied with his general manager, Mike Maccagnan. The jets CEO raved about the team's decision to trade up from No. 6 to No. 3, at the cost of three second-round picks, about a month before the draft.  

"That was not a move for the meek," Johnson said. "It was in my view a pretty aggressive move and people have argued that it was an expensive move. I think it was a move we had to make."

23 minutes ago, Larz said:

Not sure of the timing of Chris saying that there was no specific playoff mandate and the comments below but Chris has a shiny new toy and he loves it. I think Maccagnan earned himself 3 years with landing Darnold but Bowles fades the pressure of winning with him now. 

"I think people are going to look back," Johnson said at a charity event. "I honestly think they're going to look back 20 years from now and say that this is the moment that the Jets shifted into a new gear — that they became a great team."

Chris loves him some big Macc 

Johnson is also clearly very satisfied with his general manager, Mike Maccagnan. The jets CEO raved about the team's decision to trade up from No. 6 to No. 3, at the cost of three second-round picks, about a month before the draft.  

"That was not a move for the meek," Johnson said. "It was in my view a pretty aggressive move and people have argued that it was an expensive move. I think it was a move we had to make."

Well he better be concerned with Mac’s drafting and not be too “smitten” with Mac for 1 move. 2015-2017 was pretty pathetic from a drafting standpoint. Mac is good at everything else though but GMs need to draft well.

In fact, I think he’s really good at the other aspects of being a GM which has me torn because I know the grass isn’t always greener etc but his drafting has been so bad that it’s a genuine concern and he can’t just get a pass for 1 draft.

He talks about building “sustainable success” and a contender for years but that’s impossible without good drafting and the affordable rookie contracts of young stars mixed in with vets. It just won’t hapoen without good drafting and if we have cap space now, great, but it will get completely eaten up quickly and is by no means is it sustainable to rely on FA to build a team. That’s the whole flaw to Mac as a GM which is why we need a different drafter and to let Mac do everything else well.

It’s still evaluation mode for him and he’s in a much safer place than Bowles in my opinion. 

22 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just a year after getting an extension, there are only 2 ways Bowles gets fired this year:

1. The Jets finish with 4 wins or fewer.

2. There's another indication he doesn't have control of the team. Based on the current roster makeup I think this is unlikely.

He'll have a build-in excuse on offense (rookie QB plus a bad OL) and defense (no edge rusher, and maybe an injury, despite getting what he's wanted at the other 10 starting positions). I think they're weak excuses that don't wash away the types of decisions he's made, but those will be the excuses. 

I don't think we'll see #1 either. 4 games against the Bills and Dolphins should net 2-3 wins, plus Cleveland again, and the Colts, Texans, and Bengals... there ought to be at least 5 wins in that half of the schedule. Plus there's always the chance we play a game or two against teams with injuries to their key starters again among the rest. Darnold would have to be hideous to lose them all - or all but a few - in which case Bowles would have his excuse.

He's coming back in 2019. Accept it.

I don’t see how Bowles survives if Ithe Jets go 6-10.

i understand the build in excuses argument but he simply cannot hide from:

4 year record becomes 26-38, with zero playoff appearances and three straight seasons of 5, 5 and 6 wins. 

So if Jets Win 5 or even 6 games then we really find out what our “new owner” is made of while doofus is overseas playing politics.

Doesn’t have to be splashy ala Harbaugh but someone who is offensive minded of course along with a strong OC and strong QB coach.

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Well he better be concerned with Mac’s drafting and not be too “smitten” with Mac for 1 move. 2015-2017 was pretty pathetic from a drafting standpoint. Mac is good at everything else though but GMs need to draft well.

In fact, I think he’s really good at the other aspects of being a GM which has me torn because I know the grass isn’t always greener etc but his drafting has been so bad that it’s a genuine concern and he can’t just get a pass for 1 draft.

He talks about building “sustainable success” and a contender for years but that’s impossible without good drafting and the affordable rookie contracts of young stars mixed in with vets. It just won’t hapoen without good drafting and if we have cap space now, great, but it will get completely eaten up quickly and is by no means is it sustainable to rely on FA to build a team. That’s the whole flaw to Mac as a GM which is why we need a different drafter and to let Mac do everything else well.

It’s still evaluation mode for him and he’s in a much safer place than Bowles in my opinion. 

Agree with all of that but if things aren't going well and both guys report to the owner, the owner is more likely to keep the GM and ask him to find a coach over firing both of them or firing the GM and keeping the coach. I know his brother did that but Chris seems more reasonable. 

What's also interesting is the extensions coming off of reports that Woody didn't want a leadership change while he is away 

Chris has claimed that he is in charge fully but it's still possible that we are in a situation where things have to get so bad it makes the news in London 

If I had to bet I would think Maccagnan gets minimum 3 years to use the cap space to build an offense around Darnold and Bowles gets a year to coach it so I think they both get at least 2 more years together. 

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported the contract extensions are for two years each, keeping the duo signed through 2020, per a source informed of the deals.

So basically I would think that they are both safe this year and next year 

After Macc uses his cap space to build a winner and Bowles coaches it they will be evaluated 

It's to the point we have to hope mini heimerdinger and bates are also around at that time and don't get hired away after this season 

49 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

I don’t see how Bowles survives if Ithe Jets go 6-10.

i understand the build in excuses argument but he simply cannot hide from:

4 year record becomes 26-38, with zero playoff appearances and three straight seasons of 5, 5 and 6 wins. 

So if Jets Win 5 or even 6 games then we really find out what our “new owner” is made of while doofus is overseas playing politics.

Doesn’t have to be splashy ala Harbaugh but someone who is offensive minded of course along with a strong OC and strong QB coach.

6-10 gets Bowles another extension 

People, including owners and gms and such have to stop looking mostly at records and actually evaluate how a guy coaches in game and out of games.  The year we went 8-8 with rex is a classic case.  The team won two games on the last play when the other team handed the game to them.  They got blown out in most of their loses.  Their defense gave up and ungodly number of big plays and big play tds.  They were not a good team and were badly coaches and yet at years end people were falling all over themselves to say how good rex was to get the team to 8-8 and he stayed on for a couple more miserable fruitless years.

Just now, Beerfish said:

People, including owners and gms and such have to stop looking mostly at records and actually evaluate how a guy coaches in game and out of games.  The year we went 8-8 with rex is a classic case.  The team won two games on the last play when the other team handed the game to them.  They got blown out in most of their loses.  Their defense gave up and ungodly number of big plays and big play tds.  They were not a good team and were badly coaches and yet at years end people were falling all over themselves to say how good rex was to get the team to 8-8 and he stayed on for a couple more miserable fruitless years.

That team had no talent and Geno Smith as it’s starting qb.  Rex should have won coach of the year for going 8-8

14 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Agreed.  A young potential FQB with $100M to spend and you potentially get to be the savior of a team in a NY market.   Also Brady probably only has a couple more years left at most which could leave the AFC East door wide open.  Honestly the Jets could potentially be the best job out there next year.

Btw, I know we're kicking around the idea of Jim Harbaugh.  What I'm hoping for is that the Ravens disappoint and somehow fire John Harbaugh.  It's probably not realistic (on either count) but I think he'd be a fantastic choice.

12 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Like this organization and it’s fanbase didn’t celebrate 5-11 last year “we didn’t go 0-16 we showed them!”

Heard a few time how McCown getting this club to 5-11 was something wonderful. Think McCown is a good guy and there may be a role for him here going forward, but last year was ANOTHER sheetshow under Bowles. 5 wins is failure. 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Heard a few time how McCown getting this club to 5-11 was something wonderful. Think McCown is a good guy and there may be a role for him here going forward, but last year was ANOTHER sheetshow under Bowles. 5 wins is failure. 

McCown is a nice guy and an ok backup but this idea that he’s this great mentor of young QBs is laughable.  Hack, Petty, Manziel 

I would be all for replacing Bowles with McCown how could he be worse

1 hour ago, Larz said:

What's also interesting is the extensions coming off of reports that Woody didn't want a leadership change while he is away 

I believe this was a quote from a poster on JetNAtion. 

I know there are many instances someone on here says an opinion and then it is quoted as fact.

6 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I believe this was a quote from a poster on JetNAtion. 

I know there are many instances someone on here says an opinion and then it is quoted as fact.

Excuse me sir, it's almost like you implied that I am wrong? 

I probably quoted myself ?

Archived