Cimini: Adams says the Jets weren't prepared for Baker

Aussie Jet

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the Jets have played 3 games in the first 2 weeks of the season, but you're telling me that the coaches haven't developed some sort of game plan together for these games back in like May, even if it was bare bones subject to adjustments based on game film / injuries. I would think for the most part they should have at least known the "flavor" of their opponents.  

12 hours ago, JAFJET said:

Now we hear from Adams - I didn't hear his name too much during the game.

I get some people do not like him but from a coaching staff that does not use players properly how hard do you think it is to take the other players best defensive player out of the game? Mind you I am not defending his statement or his play just putting that question out there that if a good staff was here we would use him better/differently and he would not be game planned out by the other team

Adams should then show us what he's made of in Jacksonville on Sunday instead of just talking about the faults. I like him but the reality is if Robby Anderson didn't fumble, we get a first down, go on the drive and at least get a FG taking us to 17 -3 and it's then a whole different game. Hopefully we galvanise, have licked our wounds and go into Sundays game pumped. We come out the first quarter games 2-2 and I'll be happy. 

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

I wonder how they would have prepared differently, by covering people?

Here is the difference in Taylor vs Baker.

Baker has a stronger arm, is slower, takes more chances and it more accurate.

This pretty much sums it up.  You give yourself the stupid New Jack City name and then complain that you weren't "prepared" for the forward pass.  The problem is that your marketing campaign is far better than your play.  It's just excuses.

11 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Jamal Adams wants to win, badly. He’s not going to settle for this crap from Bowles obviously. I mean really, didn’t prepare at all for Baker Mayfield? Tyrod had a miserable start to the season, Baker Mayfield entrance was imminent. Again, Bowles proving he’s lost. 

Adams quote is directed at 2 people for different reasons:

1. To Bowles: step it up.

2. To Christopher Johnson: fire this man if he does not step  it up, because this is what’s hapening behind the scenes.

What exactly did Jamal Adams contribute to the game once Baker Mayfield stepped onto the field?

The answer is 3 combined tackles, 2 of which were after 19 and 9 yard gains, one solo tackle when the Browns were running out the clock, and 1 pushed out of bounds after a 10 yard gain.

What a difference maker!

1 hour ago, genot said:

I love what Adams said. He's assuming a leadership position and letting the FO, and owner know,, that Bowles isn't cut out for the job.

This. I essentially said this in an earlier post and I whole heartedly believe it. The players see that the writing is on the wall. They need to help the fans to get rid of the trash and start fresh. THEY want to win as well and have good careers so they can cash in. Right now, this place is a career killer. 

1 hour ago, genot said:

I love what Adams said. He's assuming a leadership position and letting the FO, and owner know,, that Bowles isn't cut out for the job.

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This. I essentially said this in an earlier post and I whole heartedly believe it. The players see that the writing is on the wall. They need to help the fans to get rid of the trash and start fresh. THEY want to win as well and have good careers so they can cash in. Right now, this place is a career killer. 

Blaming others when you fail to get the job done is what you call leadership?

2 hours ago, Mackman55 said:

The Jets "D" was so bad  in the 2nd half Mike Lombardi described it, after watching the game film, as a "Preseason Defense" as they stayed in a vanilla scheme. This is completely inexcusable for  any competent coaching staff with no half time adjustments considering Baker was obviously playing the remainder of the game. How long can ownership put up with this?  

Agree, Bowles led Jets teams have rarely made good halftime adjustments, a couple of games in four years, the majority of his wins were hanging on to a large first half lead, something the Jets failed to do last  Thursday

Jets have been outscored in in Q4 at least 70% of the time with Bowles as HC - this is not new, last year it was obvious, Chris what are you going to do to fix this?

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

No. Calling out the coaching staff means enough is enough. I’m focusing on a different angle than you. I get what you are saying about leadership and placing blame. It’s not a good look but I think there is more to it than “just making excuses”. 

Not speaking directly to you but in general.

Fans and media are quick to blame Bowles for many things including not making adjustments or having the team prepared without actually knowing what he's been doing behind the scenes.  A player points out how they were not prepared and now the focus shifts to the big mouth instead of the validation that Bowles and the staff did not plan well. 

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

No. Calling out the coaching staff means enough is enough. I’m focusing on a different angle than you. I get what you are saying about leadership and placing blame. It’s not a good look but I think there is more to it than “just making excuses”. 

People love these platitudes.  Baker Mayfield came in and threw the ball to open WRs down the field.  Is this really something you're not worried about any QB doing?  Are we really going to pretend like this was nothing they'd ever seen before?

6 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Not speaking directly to you but in general.

Fans and media are quick to blame Bowles for many things including not making adjustments or having the team prepared without actually knowing what he's been doing behind the scenes.  A player points out how they were not prepared and now the focus shifts to the big mouth instead of the validation that Bowles and the staff did not plan well. 

What if it's my position that the fans in general have no clue what they're talking about, and just have the hope that one administrative change will make this team not one of the leagues worst?

I'm also not saying Adams has a big mouth here.  I'm saying that when you don't perform, as he did not when it mattered, leadership is not blaming others for that.

What if it's my position that the fans in general have no clue what they're talking about, and just have the hope that one administrative change will make this team not one of the leagues worst?

We can always hope and pray that one move makes the difference in any part of this organization.

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

People love these platitudes.  Baker Mayfield came in and threw the ball to open WRs down the field.  Is this really something you're not worried about any QB doing?  Are we really going to pretend like this was nothing they'd ever seen before?

I’m really not sure what you are getting at or what your point is. All I was saying was that players are going to probably start covering their own *sses and look towards the future (post Bowles). This is literally my only point.

If you have a specific question or can explain what I said/how you are interpretting my comment, please clear it up because I’m lost. I don’t think we are taking about the same thing at all or you are taking something the wrong way. Feel free to clear it up and I’d be happy to discuss. 

The lack of discipline. failure to adjust, blaming players in the press for penalties, when every other coach would take responsibility, irregardless on whether they were really to blame. Basically admitting your hire of Rodgers isn't going well. All reasons for someone to step up and raise the red flag. If Adams was playing poorly and drawing some of those flags, he wouldn't be in a position to go out on the limb and say that. But that's not the case

2 hours ago, Mackman55 said:

The Jets "D" was so bad  in the 2nd half Mike Lombardi described it, after watching the game film, as a "Preseason Defense" as they stayed in a vanilla scheme. This is completely inexcusable for  any competent coaching staff with no half time adjustments considering Baker was obviously playing the remainder of the game. How long can ownership put up with this?  

Especially with both coaches going into their 4th season! Inexcusable. 

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m really not sure what you are getting at or what your point is. All I was saying was that players are going to probably start covering their own *sses and look towards the future (post Bowles). This is literally my only point.

If you have a specific question or can explain what I said/how you are interpretting my comment, please clear it up because I’m lost. I don’t think we are taking about the same thing at all or you are taking something the wrong way. Feel free to clear it up and I’d be happy to discuss. 

I think the best way to "cover your own ass" is to deliver on the field, not days later in an interview.  That's all.

I think the best way to "cover your own ass" is to deliver on the field, not days later in an interview.  That's all.

Dude, I totally agree. I’m just looking at it another way because I sense something brewing. I am also a HUGE Adam critic and hate his big mouth but so far this year, I am MUCH happier with his play. I still hate his big mouth(hate that about all players like him) but he usually means well and says a lot to support his teammates so I can’t completely kill him for this.

Normally I’d be annoyed at a player “throwing the coaching staff under the bus” but not in this case for obvious reasons. I think everyone needs to turn on Bowles and Mac to give us a chance at a house cleaning. The more things that make them look bad, the better. 

14 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I'm also not saying Adams has a big mouth here.  I'm saying that when you don't perform, as he did not when it mattered, leadership is not blaming others for that.

What are you saying? Coaches coach, players follow their lead (defensive calls), so are you saying Jamal Adams should have FREELANCED instead of playing back in the zone like he was asked to do? 

Thats why Jamie Collins was traded to Cleveland by Belichick. Too much freelancing. The only players on defense that have free will are pass rushers. Go get the QB no matter what. Everyone else has a job to do, and need to be in sync with whatever the coaches have called.

18 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Are you saying coaching has nothing to do with a teams record at the end of the year?

26 minutes ago, Jetster said:

What are you saying? Coaches coach, players follow their lead (defensive calls), so are you saying Jamal Adams should have FREELANCED instead of playing back in the zone like he was asked to do? 

Thats why Jamie Collins was traded to Cleveland by Belichick. Too much freelancing. The only players on defense that have free will are pass rushers. Go get the QB no matter what. Everyone else has a job to do, and need to be in sync with whatever the coaches have called.

I'm saying that if anyone thinks the "gameplan" was to leave people open and allow them to catch passes is a moron.

You can disagree with a strategy re: pressure or coverages (not that you actually know what was called), but acting like they had no response and weren't expecting the possibility of a forward pass is nonsense.

The Browns are better than the Jets.  It's not surprising.  They have a lot more talent.  We made this game look closer because we got a blocked punt.

Bowles sucks, and I get that it’s attractive to jump on the pile when he’s getting tackled, but I’d add in:

Funny thing is even dropping 7-8 into coverage the Browns’ guys were still open. Maybe I just don’t get it but I don’t think Cleveland ditches the entire playbook, in favor of their other totally different playbook where receivers run routes that get them open instead, when a new QB comes in. That is, unless the original gameplan for Taylor was, “No need to defend any routes deeper than 8 yards.” Bad as Bowles/Rodgers are - and they are bad - I doubt that was the case.

The “new rookie QB” change is a lame excuse anyway, otherwise every QB coming off the bench mid-game would have a good game. So much so it’d be routine/commonplace to pull the clear-starter QB any time you’re down by 2 scores because no one really gameplans for more obvious backups than Mayfield either. 

Put aside the Trumaine Johnson blitz; it was one play and didn’t directly result in 21 points. There were some other key plays where the coverage was (or should have been) there by design, except the DB(s) just got beat when the ball was in the air, a LB tripped on his own feet, a receiver came down with a contested catch in traffic, and one where Mayfield found the narrowest of passing lanes over the middle despite what ended up being triple coverage; Sam has done that a couple times himself and it was picked off or incomplete (as it so often is with anyone making such throws). 

And gee, I wonder if it would have helped any if there was a really good pass rusher on the team, so pressure wouldn’t just disappear whenever 8+ DBs and ILBs all drop back into coverage on pass plays, and we can generate sacks and hurried bad throws and throwaways by sending only 4. This is why a reliably good one is so important and a pair of 1s and a giant contract for a unique one like Mack outside (or Donald inside, not that he was offered) isn’t as crazy as it sounded. When guys like that are on their game it’s like having a 12th defender on the field on passing downs, where an extra LB/DB instead gets to routinely drop into coverage because the DC doesn’t always have to rush 5+ just so the QB has less than 4 seconds to throw it. 

This is of course in addition to some valid criticism thrown the Bowles/Rodgers way.

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

More hyperbole!

Obviously players have to do their job, and so do coaches. Lack of discipline, adjusting when things aren't going well is the coaches responsibility. I think that's what Bowles is being called out on. Not just by Adams, but also by Bart Scott.

140878794.jpg

I'm no scholar but to me it doesn't matter if Bolwes had a week or 3 hours to prepare the team for a game - That's a large part of his friggin job and he needs to get it done! The schedule wasn't given to Bolwes a week in advance.  He's had it for months.  If the team isn't prepared for a game, it falls 100% on the coach.  Period.  There is no excusing this.  

Why is it when people call out Bowles they offer no alternative? Who do we get?

We played 3 games in 11 days. Show me a head coch that wouldn't have made a mistake doing the same. 

As I have said. Robby Anderson doesn't fumble at 14 -3 and we get the first down and then drive at least a FG and go 17-3 or possibly 21 -3 with a TD and the game would have been over. sh*t happens. Until someone can offer a credible replacement for Bowles we have to get behind him.  

9 minutes ago, Greedo said:

Why is it when people call out Bowles they offer no alternative? Who do we get?

PLENTY of options have been named, but they're all subject to personal preferences/fears that each individual has regarding the nominee:

Matt LaFleur

Todd Haley

John DeFellippo

Jim Schwartz

Brian DaBoll

NAthaniel Hackett

and this'll just off the top of my head

Archived