New York Mick

The Wife Wants To Move To NJ

28 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

That's nuts. Why is she paying that out of pocket? Is it her own practice? My wife's insurance is paid for through her administrator as a benefit. 

Although, in certain areas, not taking insurance and acting as "concierge" is actually far more lucrative than working at a private clinic. 

Yes, it's her own practice.  Yes, it's concierge and on the UES.  We found her after a negative experience w/ another OB, found out my wife was pregnant, and stayed because this doctor was very good to us.  Fortunately, my wife has great out-of-network benefits so the final cost, after reimbursement, was manageable.

30 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I only played rugby and wrestled in Tampa so I don’t have a lot of knowledge of that area but from what I seen it was the same as S Florida. Areas that are nice are expensive but right down the street from the ghetto. 

What kind of lighting? We do a lot of computer controlled RGB LED  and LED changeover. 

lol. he's talking about the hockey team.  Tampa Bay Lightning.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

I only played rugby and wrestled in Tampa so I don’t have a lot of knowledge of that area but from what I seen it was the same as S Florida. Areas that are nice are expensive but right down the street from the ghetto. 

What kind of lighting? We do a lot of computer controlled RGB LED  and LED changeover. 

Hockey team- Tampa Lightning. The owner has invested a ton into  the area. And bad neighborhoods bordering nice ones is true in just about every city. Yonkers and Mt Vernon border some of the wealthiest suburbs in the country.

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Hockey team- Tampa Lightning. The owner has invested a ton into  the area. And bad neighborhoods bordering nice ones is true in just about every city. Yonkers and Mt Vernon border some of the wealthiest suburbs in the country.

I was already informed lol

On 10/17/2018 at 9:46 AM, jetstream23 said:

"Go West young man!"

Seriously.  I moved to Arizona 17 years ago.  With the money I save on taxes, housing, tolls, etc. I fly my family of 4 back to NY/NJ at least 3 times per year.  The best part about it?  After a week having fun in the City and visiting family in NJ....we get to leave!!!! :D

I watch the Jets on my outdoor TV in December with a view of the desert in the background.  The game is over by early afternoon with enough time to go swing the sticks for 9 holes.

Summers are brutal....but you don't have to shovel sunshine and I hated winters in the northeast.  It's hotter than Hades from June through September but that's what allows you to get a house that would be $1M on the Jersey Shore or in California for half that amount here.

Keep an open mind but most importantly remember the adage, "Happy wife, happy life!" 

IMG_3630.jpg

That looks really nice right now.  I just shoveled two days in a row.

Haven't golfed in a month.

On 10/23/2018 at 7:53 PM, New York Mick said:

She has 3 places she interested in, near Orlando, North Georgia or around Bergen County. Hard decision 

those choices are nothing alike.  

On 10/23/2018 at 5:22 PM, TeddEY said:

My wife’s OB/gyn told us she pays 140/year in malpractice.

She doesn’t take insurance to compensate for that.

I have an OBGYN practice as a client and those numbers sound right. 3 doc practice...  MP Insurance about 200K.

On 10/18/2018 at 12:21 PM, JiF said:

Just read a statistic, of the people moving in our out of New Jersey, 68% are moving out.  3 main reasons?  Cost of living, weather and career opportunities. 

People are probably questioning that last one and I dont think it's a crisis or anything to truly worry about yet, but companies are moving south.  The need for your business to have Head Quarters or a large presence in the NE, doesnt really exist anymore as the world of work changes and increase in ability to do everything virtual.  Companies rather invest in cheaper property and talent further south on the East Coast, especially, Florida.  The other factor is, millenials dont really care about making a ton of money.  They rather live happy, have fun in the moment and live a fulfilling life.  Studies are showing that it is much easier to accomplish that as an employee in the South vs. North?  Why?  Better weather, cheaper cost of living, nicer people, less congestion, increase in wages....the number 1 reason?  Better quality of life.

I just moved my girlfriend from Jersey to Florida, all of that applies plus a lot more.

But at the end of the day, different strokes for different folks.  Whatever floats your boat.  People like what they like.  My family on LI, will never leave.  Ever.  Why?  They honestly dont have a logical reason other than, this is where we grew up! 

The addage of you make less money in the south is also false now...   as a CPA I have tons of clients earning well in the 6 figures and I still do a ton of NY/NYC tax returns and they make on average, the same as here in the south. Bankers, Lawyers etc. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

The addage of you make less money in the south is also false now...   as a CPA I have tons of clients earning well in the 6 figures and I still do a ton of NY/NYC tax returns and they make on average, the same as here in the south. Bankers, Lawyers etc. 

I'd make a lot less in any right-to-work state than I do in my NY union working the same job. 

5 hours ago, slats said:

I'd make a lot less in any right-to-work state than I do in my NY union working the same job. 

I have 2 plumbers as clients... both own their own business. One makes about 200K on sales of 400K with ONE employee. The other makes about 75K on sales of 400K with 4 employees.  The difference is how they run their business. The need for skilled tradesmen here in NC is out of control.  Agreed, rank and file employees won't make as much but for those who want to run a shop...  there are more customers than you could imagine if you are an electrician, plumber etc.

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

I have 2 plumbers as clients... both own their own business. One makes about 200K on sales of 400K with ONE employee. The other makes about 75K on sales of 400K with 4 employees.  The difference is how they run their business. The need for skilled tradesmen here in NC is out of control.  Agreed, rank and file employees won't make as much but for those who want to run a shop...  there are more customers than you could imagine if you are an electrician, plumber etc.

Bingo!  And many millennials can't seem to figure out or fix a lot of stuff.  We could cripple this entire generation if we just went back to manual transmission cars and rotary dialed phones.

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Bingo!  And many millennials can't seem to figure out or fix a lot of stuff.  We could cripple this entire generation if we just went back to manual transmission cars and rotary dialed phones.

The one "wealthier" plumber was telling me, at a convention, the number one issue discussed by all is they can't seem to attract young kids anymore.  My "wealthy plumber" is 62, good shape. 2nd career for him. Started at age 40.  He can't find a young kid to take over the business.  So he is  simply slowing down and will make about 100K working 3 days a week as no young kid wants to work the 50 hour week and make 200K and get dirty.

18 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

The one "wealthier" plumber was telling me, at a convention, the number one issue discussed by all is they can't seem to attract young kids anymore.  My "wealthy plumber" is 62, good shape. 2nd career for him. Started at age 40.  He can't find a young kid to take over the business.  So he is  simply slowing down and will make about 100K working 3 days a week as no young kid wants to work the 50 hour week and make 200K and get dirty.

Crazy.  Those kids may be singing a different tune in 12-24 months depending on what happens with this economy.

Seriously, this entire generation is losing both the desire and the ability to do things.  They can't even cook for themselves and either go out to eat or order Door Dash / Uber Eats deliveries.

Had a conversation earlier today about moving to a new place with a middle aged person. He is doing well now but is worried for the future, Said that he and his wife are seriously considering Shanghai to be established there and get ahead of the curve there before the "big rush" where displaced Americans will be the maids and gardeners of China. Felt strongly about it too. 

Not that I agreed with him (yet) but man, this would take some huge yarbles to make a move like that. Well if nothing else, you  could at least get some great soup dumplings in Old Town. I really hope that he is way off base with this, at least for the rest of my lifetime. 

Suddenly, NJ/GA/Orlando doesn't seem as risky or scary a move as when I first read this thread.

Yeesh. See 'ya on The Bund fella

7 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Had a conversation earlier today about moving to a new place with a middle aged person. He is doing well now but is worried for the future, Said that he and his wife are seriously considering Shanghai to be established there and get ahead of the curve there before the "big rush" where displaced Americans will be the maids and gardeners of China. Felt strongly about it too. 

Not that I agreed with him (yet) but man, this would take some huge yarbles to make a move like that. Well if nothing else, you  could at least get some great soup dumplings in Old Town. I really hope that he is way off base with this, at least for the rest of my lifetime. 

Suddenly, NJ/GA/Orlando doesn't seem as risky or scary a move as when I first read this thread.

Yeesh. See 'ya on The Bund fella

I just returned from San Miguel de Allende(SMA), a town in Mexico being "over run" with Americans and Canadians.  Was not what I expected but tons of Americans are retiring outside the USA.  Conde Naste ranked SMA the #1 place to live outside the US.  LOVE The Tarkus avatar!!!  STONES OF YEARS!!!!!  

On 10/18/2018 at 1:15 PM, New York Mick said:

NJ is very high on the list of best schools. I think it’s was first or second the last time I looked. Florida was in the 30’s, a lot of the schools are extremely ghetto and English might be the second or third language. 

Yes. Everyone I've ever met from New Jersey has been an educated,  well read, erudite scholar......

LOL. 

But yeah, Florida has a ton of bad schools, they flipped all the districts a few years ago and put all of the "magnet" schools in literally the worst areas (Suncoast in Riviera Beach, Lincoln Park in Ft. Pierce) and then bussed inner city kids to the suburbs.  Add the influx from Central and South America, Haiti, etc where you have some kids directly entering classrooms without any prior schooling, and of course some areas are a disaster. But this notion of these glorious, magical school systems in the Northeast are laughable. Everyone I knew back in NYC and I went to the Parochial Schools, and I continued when we moved down here. Common Core standardization has done away with the (mythical) "New Yawk kids are two yeahs ahead of Flahrida kids" crap LI moms spew, anyway. 

The trick with education is being involved with your kids and not blindly letting the school system do your job, regardless of where you are. But we moved to Tradition in St Lucie County for a bunch of reasons, bang for your buck, zero crime, golf cart access to.shoppong, bars, and restaurants......and The FAU Educational Research School located here. 

I would also put Martin county schools up against most.

46 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yes. Everyone I've ever met from New Jersey has been an educated,  well read, erudite scholar......

LOL. 

But yeah, Florida has a ton of bad schools, they flipped all the districts a few years ago and put all of the "magnet" schools in literally the worst areas (Suncoast in Riviera Beach, Lincoln Park in Ft. Pierce) and then bussed inner city kids to the suburbs.  Add the influx from Central and South America, Haiti, etc where you have some kids directly entering classrooms without any prior schooling, and of course some areas are a disaster. But this notion of these glorious, magical school systems in the Northeast are laughable. Everyone I knew back in NYC and I went to the Parochial Schools, and I continued when we moved down here. Common Core standardization has done away with the (mythical) "New Yawk kids are two yeahs ahead of Flahrida kids" crap LI moms spew, anyway. 

The trick with education is being involved with your kids and not blindly letting the school system do your job, regardless of where you are. But we moved to Tradition in St Lucie County for a bunch of reasons, bang for your buck, zero crime, golf cart access to.shoppong, bars, and restaurants......and The FAU Educational Research School located here. 

My brother lives in Palm Harbor, super smart kids. 2 UF, one FSU. All have studied abroad etc. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I just returned from San Miguel de Allende(SMA), a town in Mexico being "over run" with Americans and Canadians.  Was not what I expected but tons of Americans are retiring outside the USA.  Conde Naste ranked SMA the #1 place to live outside the US.  LOVE The Tarkus avatar!!!  STONES OF YEARS!!!!!  

Wow. Made me look that up. So how was it? Did you feel safe? 

Looked at the R/E prices and was surprised that they were that high.

BTW: Old accounting joke that in Mexico, it is not debits on the left, credits on the right because someone stole all the debits 

If I had to pick a foreign place to live the rest of my life, there is no other choice than Italy for me (sigh)

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

LOL. 

I went to Fort Pierce Central. It’s a sh*t hole and the school is years behind NY. 

7 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Wow. Made me look that up. So how was it? Did you feel safe? 

Looked at the R/E prices and was surprised that they were that high.

BTW: Old accounting joke that in Mexico, it is not debits on the left, credits on the right because someone stole all the debits 

If I had to pick a foreign place to live the rest of my life, there is no other choice than Italy for me (sigh)

Mexico is generally safe...  I had no issues in SMA.  traveling to SMA you go through many small towns where there might be risk.   I can tell you it made me appreciate what I have and my life here in NC.  

16 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I went to Fort Pierce Central. It’s a sh*t hole and the school is years behind NY. 

Yes. Because you went to FT. PIERCE CENTRAL. 

Did your parents hate you? LOL.

I went to Cardinal Newman in the 1980s, when the Jesuits were still in charge. I find most people (from everywhere) to only be barely functionally literate and with no appreciation of literature.... My cousins from LI all sound like idiots to me. LOL. Whatever. 

Ft. Pierce? No wonder you hate Florida....

When were you at Central? My wife went there for a year before Port St Lucie High opened.  She hated it, too. 

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yes. Because you went to FT. PIERCE CENTRAL. 

Did your parents hate you? LOL.

I went to Cardinal Newman in the 1980s, when the Jesuits were still in charge. I find most people (from everywhere) to only be barely functionally literate and with no appreciation of literature.... My cousins from LI all sound like idiots to me. LOL. Whatever. 

Ft. Pierce? No wonder you hate Florida....

When were you at Central? My wife went there for a year before Port St Lucie High opened.  She hated it, too. 

Graduate in 91. I also went to Atlantic Delray

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Graduate in 91. I also went to Atlantic Delray

Did you know a girl named Cim? LOL..... you went to HS with my wife for at least a couple of years. Small world. ...

20181118_153952.jpg

On 10/23/2018 at 5:20 PM, TeddEY said:

Bang for your buck, I’d advise any young person to learn to code.  You may not be a millionaire, but you can make a quarter million easy and will never lack for work.  A buddy of mine gets multiple offers a year without even applying for jobs.

AI will teach robots how to code. We are doomed.

Everyone should become a doorman. It will be 75 years before people get comfortable having a robot open the door for them.