SAM AT THE HALF WAY POINT

14 in Green

23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Fair analysis is not allowed when talking about the golden child. He's been ok all season. Didnt play well today, but had a nice TD pass.. Played great against Indy. He looks cold when it isnt that cold, which is concerning. He looks like he could be the guy, but the talent is so bad you have to figure Maccagan is fired. New GM shouldnt have to be married to Darnold if the Jets have a top 8 pick.

Those last two sentences. Wow! So many here want the GM/ HC fired. If that happens after this season I think the Jets would make it known to any candidate that Sam was going to be the QB. On the other hand, if no change is made until say 2020, you'd have to assume we had another bad year in 2019. Then if the Jets stumble onto a strong Offensive minded HC/GM combination who wanted THEIR guy from that supposedly strong QB class.... That's a situation I never thought of until you brought it up. If anything, it is making me think the guys who want to clean house after this year have an even better argument to do it now, and you just gave it to them.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Wha the eff does “looks cold” mean? He played bad today... how? Did you see him miss wide open receivers? 

Means he looks uncomfortable. Hands in the hand warmer every 5 seconds. This is always a concern when drafting a QB from Malibu and bringing him east.

26 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Fair analysis is not allowed when talking about the golden child. He's been ok all season. Didnt play well today, but had a nice TD pass.. Played great against Indy. He looks cold when it isnt that cold, which is concerning. He looks like he could be the guy, but the talent is so bad you have to figure Maccagan is fired. New GM shouldnt have to be married to Darnold if the Jets have a top 8 pick.

You can say what you will about his overall performance but the whole he looked cold when it wasn’t cold is absolute CRAP.

He's looked like a rookie, as vague and unspecific that is to say. Lots of ups and downs due to a myriad of reasons and circumstances, which is typical for such a young player at the position. Currently #32 in rating and #30 in QBR. I'd venture to say most of us would be disappointed if he is at similar levels after week 17. Biggest headwind he has to deal with is the current regime. Really don't have much confidence in Bowles et. al.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

The lack of help for him is a big concern. I feel like the last 2 weeks were almost a waste of time development wise. He wasn't able to perform well in the wind last week, and this week he had no chance with the guys he had out there with him.

Something that I am taking note of is his decision making. A good example was toward the end of the game today. He had three consecutive plays where he went through his entire progression, saw no one was open, tried to run around to have his receivers be able to create space (and avoid pressure obviously) and then threw the ball away. It was incredibly frustrating to watch, especially when we were hoping for a big come back, but that is a new phenomenon for a Jets QB. 

How many times have we been frustrated with our QB who tried to force things when no one was open only to see it picked off time and time again?  It sucked to watch but it shows his level of patience and on field awareness. 

Maybe in the future he will be like Peyton Manning and still be able to laser it in to someone anyway in those situations, but it sure is nice to see a smart QB who doesn't succumb to the stress of the 4th quarter come back and can still think intelligently. 

I sure hope Sam still likes us. lol 

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Means he looks uncomfortable. Hands in the hand warmer every 5 seconds. This is always a concern when drafting a QB from Malibu and bringing him east.

Trubisky had his hands in warmers all game.

how did looking cold affect darnolds play?

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

Let's give Darnold some kudos for the following:

He has gone 8 straight games and yet no Jets fans are calling for his replacement or to draft another franchise QB next year

That is actually quite an accomplishment with this fan base. 

If we still had Bridgewater you would have seen an entirely different scenario. We had a chorus of posters saying trading him was a mistake during the first three game skid this season. If Teddy was still on this team, we would be angrily split in the middle just like the Testeverde/ Chad era.

That was another big reason Teddy needed to go. It was a QB controversy waiting to happen the minute we considered starting Darnold his rookie season.

Good point over all though. 

Make excuses all you want for him, but statistically hes the worst or second worst passer in the league. 

Has he flashed a few times? Yes, but so did Sanchez and Geno. I still get the same bad feeling everytime he drops back to pass.

My biggest issue with him thus far is his inability to hang in the pocket. He bails too quickly (basically if his first read isnt open) and always rolls to his right. Defenses have figured that tendancy out and its caused a lot of throw aways. 

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Something that I am taking note of is his decision making. A good example was toward the end of the game today. He had three consecutive plays where he went through his entire progression, saw no one was open, tried to run around to have his receivers be able to create space (and avoid pressure obviously) and then threw the ball away. It was incredibly frustrating to watch, especially when we were hoping for a big come back, but that is a new phenomenon for a Jets QB. 

How many times have we been frustrated with our QB who tried to force things when no one was open only to see it picked off time and time again?  It sucked to watch but it shows his level of patience and on field awareness. 

Maybe in the future he will be like Peyton Manning and still be able to laser it in to someone anyway in those situations, but it sure is nice to see a smart QB who doesn't succumb to the stress of the 4th quarter come back and can still think intelligently. 

I sure hope Sam still likes us. lol 

I think as long as we have @HelenOfTroy on our side, she will keep Sam in line.

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Man, Goff literally wore 2 gloves and dressed like he was going to climb Everest a week ago, in similar weather that didn't have the blistering wind that was in Chicago today, and he's in the MVP race.

Brady is from California.

So is Rodgers.  He played for Cal too.

Alex Smith?  Cali.

Stafford is a Florida boy.

Texas is warm state too and has put out guys like Brees, Luck, and plenty of other impressive starters in the NFL.

If Sam sucks it's because he never progresses past a certain point, not his inability to feel warm.  If the kid gets weapons and a real OC/Head Coach, he will look far more "comfortable", even if it's a 40° day with 35MPH wind gusts like today.  I'm not absolving the kid of any mistakes that he's made, but many of them are due to the lack of talent around him and the horrible coaching putting a rookie QB in terrible positions.  

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

If we still had Bridgewater you would have seen an entirely different scenario. We had a chorus of posters saying trading him was a mistake during the first three game skid this season. If Teddy was still on this team, we would be angrily split in the middle just like the Testeverde/ Chad era.

That was another big reason Teddy needed to go. It was a QB controversy waiting to happen the minute we considered starting Darnold his rookie season.

Good point over all though. 

Darnold will throw for more TDs than Teddy’s has ever thrown for in a season. No one in their right mind would want to replace QBs at this point- Sam has been all you can hope for to be honest.

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

Let's give Darnold some kudos for the following:

He has gone 8 straight games and yet no Jets fans are calling for his replacement or to draft another franchise QB next year

That is actually quite an accomplishment with this fan base. 

O ya? My buddy was at the Vikings game said Jet fans in the stands were calling for Darnold's head saying it was time to move on already and stuff like that. 

8 minutes ago, VinnyT16 said:

Make excuses all you want for him, but statistically hes the worst or second worst passer in the league. 

Has he flashed a few times? Yes, but so did Sanchez and Geno. I still get the same bad feeling everytime he drops back to pass.

My biggest issue with him thus far is his inability to hang in the pocket. He bails too quickly (basically if his first read isnt open) and always rolls to his right. Defenses have figured that tendancy out and its caused a lot of throw aways. 

MY biggest issue with him is the wide outs he is throwing the ball to. 

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

If you aren’t happy with Sam then I guess you will never be happy.  He is 21 the youngest ever to start since the merger. He has a bad oline which makes it tough for him.  He has had to deal with injuries from his favorite targets like Enunwa and Robby.  Has he made rookie mistakes? Of course but it’s normal.  Honestly half his interceptions were screwups by his receivers. Also so many drops.  Despite all the obstacles he has shown mental toughness and flashes of being a gamer

Exactly.. as long as he is learning and improving.. and not getting killed.. 2 most important things. Does it really matter if McCown was our qb and we won 7 games instead of five ?

Just now, nico002 said:

Darnold will throw for more TDs than Teddy’s has ever thrown for in a season. No one in their right mind would want to replace QBs at this point- Sam has been all you can hope for to be honest.

I'm a major Sam supporter so don't take my post as me on the TB side of things. I'm just making the point in response to the credit that was given to us as a fan base. It's still a good point but If Teddy was here we would have had a QB controversy by week 3. There's zero doubt in my mind. I've been a Jets fan for far too long not to know that. 

It was happening here on JN with TB not even being on our team. It was expressed as regret for even trading him in the first place and that Sam shouldn't be starting etc.  I think that died down due to the Denver and Indy games where Sam had some really exciting success.  

I liked the TB trade and the value we received for him, but an under-appreciated aspect of that trade is the removal of any potential for a QB controversy. That could have been very negative for Sam's development. It's his team win or lose. That's the most healthy way to do this.

Our WR & TE unit is easily the worst in the league. (Even when healthy)

RB is equally as bad IMO. Crowell and Powell are both just average rbs.

Our o line is middle of the pack. Probably our strongest unit on offense. but far to often Darnold is running for his life.

Darnold has been playing damn good, especially when you consider the talent around him. (None) 

10 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I'm a major Sam supporter so don't take my post as me on the TB side of things. I'm just making the point in response to the credit that was given to us as a fan base. It's still a good point but If Teddy was here we would have had a QB controversy by week 3. There's zero doubt in my mind. I've been a Jets fan for far too long not to know that. 

It was happening here on JN with TB not even being on our team. It was expressed as regret for even trading him in the first place and that Sam shouldn't be starting etc.  I think that died down due to the Denver and Indy games where Sam had some really exciting success.  

I liked the TB trade and the value we received for him, but an under-appreciated aspect of that trade is the removal of any potential for a QB controversy. That could have been very negative for Sam's development. It's his team win or lose. That's the most healthy way to do this.

Teddy sucks and has always sucked. You’re creating a hypothetical scenario that isn’t likely. There hasn’t been a single game where you could say darnold cost us the game. 

15 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

MY biggest issue with him is the wide outs he is throwing the ball to. 

The biggest issue with him is the whole offensive philosophy the Jets employ , from drafting and acquiring players down to game plans and lack of direction.

4 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Teddy sucks and has always sucked. You’re creating a hypothetical scenario that isn’t likely. There hasn’t been a single game where you could say darnold cost us the game. 

Dude, are you even listening to what I'm saying? Did you even see the post I was responding to?

I didn't even hint to saying anyone was better than anyone else. I even came back and gave you clarification after your first inaccurate point and you come back with the same basic comment. I could care less of how good Teddy was or is. I'm making a point. A point which is 100% accurate. If you can't see that then you haven't been watching the Jets very long. I've seen people get riled up for Brett Radcliff for gods sakes.  

And it was already happening after the Jets lost to the Browns with how we shouldn't have started Sam so it's not an entirely hypothetical scenario that I'm "creating". Do you not remember the onslaught of people in the Browns game thread talking about how much better Mayfield was than Darnold? It took 15 min for our beloved fan base to jump ship.  You're hysterical. 

47 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He's not from Malibu...you can't troll for one sentence without getting the facts all wrong.  Doesn't make you appear knowledgeable.  

At least bring facts into your diatribes, there is enough to make a negative point without sounding like you have a personal agenda.

Just curious, are you a CFB fan?

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Dude, are you even listening to what I'm saying? Did you even see the post I was responding to?

I didn't even hint to saying anyone was better than anyone else. I even came back and gave you clarification after your first inaccurate point and you come back with the same basic comment. I could care less of how good Teddy was or is. I'm making a point. A point which is 100% accurate. If you can't see that then you haven't been watching the Jets very long. I've seen people get riled up for Brett Radcliff for gods sakes.  

And it was already happening after the Jets lost to the Browns with how we shouldn't have started Sam so it's not an entirely hypothetical scenario that I'm "creating". Do you not remember the onslaught of people in the Browns game thread talking about how much better Mayfield was than Darnold? It took 15 min for our beloved fan base to jump ship.  You're hysterical. 

Lol a hypothetical fantasy can’t even be 1% accurate. We are 8 games into the season and the team is 3-5... yet the fan base is nearly unanimous in being excited about Sam Darnold. If the absurd scenario you describe was possible then you’d see at least a little negativity around darnold now.... yet there is none. I can count the trolls on one hand... you’re one of them.

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Lol a hypothetical fantasy can’t even be 1% accurate. We are 8 games into the season and the team is 3-5... yet the fan base is nearly unanimous in being excited about Sam Darnold. If the absurd scenario you describe was possible then you’d see at least a little negativity around darnold now.... yet there is none. I can count the trolls on one hand... you’re one of them.

LMAO! 

Once again you have neglected to include the basis for the original point and wrapped the warm blanket of your original inaccuracy around you to restate what you already have. ugh.

Here... I'll make it even more clear for you because you're a silly little one. My comment had Nothing at all to do with any player at all. It was a comment on the ridiculousness of our fan base. Thanks for driving my point home. 

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Nico, Nico....Sam is far from perfect, not having a good season, so there will be people questioning his potential.  It's natural, they should be.

I'm very impressed with the support, patience and understanding the Jets fans have displayed.  That is a sincere observation from a huge homer, I couldn't be happier Sam landed here, but he still has to show steady improvement and win games.  The Jets gave up too much to not expect more, rookie or not.

8 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Nico, Nico....Sam is far from perfect, not having a good season, so there will be people questioning his potential.  It's natural, they should be.

I'm very impressed with the support, patience and understanding the Jets fans have displayed.  That is a sincere observation from a huge homer, I couldn't be happier Sam landed here, but he still has to show steady improvement and win games.  The Jets gave up too much to not expect more, rookie or not.

My point is that I don’t see negativity. The idea that is there would have been a an controversy after week 3 because of teddy is absurd. It’s a genius troll move though... since a hypothetical can’t be proven wrong. 

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

My point is that I don’t see negativity. The idea that is there would have been a an controversy after week 3 because of teddy is absurd. It’s a genius troll move though... since a hypothetical can’t be proven wrong. 

Nico, choose your battles, and those you call out.  There is only one exasperating poster on this thread, and board.....you don't want to be his counterpart in the other extreme.  

You can be a big fan without the blinders, Lol.

3 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Nico, choose your battles, and those you call out.  There is only one exasperating poster on this thread, and board.....you don't want to be his counterpart in the other extreme.  

You can be a big fan without the blinders, Lol.

You can lead a horse to water... but you can't make him drink.

Archived