Joe Thomas: Darnold is a Bust

GreenWhite

15 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'm not sure how I should feel about that.

I'm not sure how you should feel about the idea that some dood here just blamed the LT for his team having a decade of terrible QBs.

I guess we can safely assume now that you blame brick for the qb situation here this millennia 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, CTM said:

I'm not sure how you should feel about the idea that some dood here just blamed the LT for his team having a decade of terrible QBs.

I guess we can safely assume now that you blame brick for the qb situation here this millennia 

Ok, so now I'm not sure if you're a little slow figuring out that my comment was in response to your desire to see me rant about something, or if this is simply your poor attempt to goad me into exactly that.  Either way... very disappointed.

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Ok, so now I'm not sure if you're a little slow figuring out that my comment was in response to your desire to see me rant about something, or if this is simply your poor attempt to goad me into exactly that.  Either way... very disappointed.

It was more a feigned attempt to goad you into it, I didn't expect you to comply 

So sry u haz disappoint 

RVh.gif

16 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

@Villain The Foe you heard the man. Gtfo.

5 pages in and I had said nothing in this thread. 

A week went by and you're still thinking about me even though I updated my signature just so you could know that I dont care.

You clearly care alot about my opinion. 

Let's keep your problem with me liking Baker and enjoying Browns football much more than Jets football this year in the initial thread. 

No need for you to spill your emotions in other threads im not even participating in. 

13 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

What he said ?

Way too early to even be confident in saying ones better then the other. And too hard to judge considering the drastic differences of their situations. 

I don’t think any rookie QB has looked like a total bust thus far.

And that’s not bad considering the terrible rosters each one has around them aside Mayfield. 

I agree, though back in April alot of folks here were thanking the Browns For being "Brownsie" and passing on the qb who was clearly better in Sam Darnold. 7 months later some of those same folks will now be quick to agree with you that "its too early to tell."

I would agree that it was too early to tell back in April, but so far it looka like the Browns did an excellent job picking 1st overall generally. 

Baker looks good, Darnold simply needs talent around him provided by a competent GM as well as great preparation by a competent head coach.

Jared Goff looked like a complete bust until talent and play design was implemented. 

We dont need to be in the Colts situation in order to prove how good of a qb we have, meaning "our qb is great though we have no talent on  the team around him" 

If the Jets don't build around Darnold as well as get the right coaching staff then it wont matter how good he is because we wont be winning. 

44 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

A week went by and you're still thinking about me even though I updated my signature just so you could know that I dont care.

Let's keep your problem with me liking Baker and enjoying Browns football much more than Jets football this year in the initial thread. 

No need for you to spill your emotions in other threads im not even participating in. 

I’m really just talking sh*t. So stop being a Girl Scout. I had a problem with the intent behind your posts in the last thread but as far as having some long lasting resentment towards some internet guy past that very moment? Nah not my style.

I don’t care what team you enjoy. Sorry to tell you.

23 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'd say that it's way to early to make that call either way, but for the sake of discussion, that I wish I got to see Sam with Chubb, Njoku, Cleveland's O-Line, Defense, and their schedule.  Also, I would throw in the fact that Jeremy Bates is a worse Offensive Coordinator/Coach than the two guys fired mid-season by Cleveland and that Darnold's best game was 5 weeks after the one that Thomas mentioned, so he obviously isn't watching him that closely.

To be fair, Chris Herndon is having a better year than Njoku at this point and has played a fraction of the time. 

Njoku has incredibly inconsistent hands. Tied for 7th in drops, with his teammate Antonio Callaway. The problem is his drops to target ratio. To be honest, Njoku is really not having a great season. I think its more about what folks "think" Njoku is rather than what he's actually done on the field. Chris Hernon in that 3 game stretch has already looked better than Njoku to me atleast. I have no idea what he did in the Bills game since I simply dont care to even watch it.

Chris Herndon played less but has more TD's and looks to be the much better receiving TE.

Baker probably has the worst Tackle Tandem in the league, though the inside of his Oline is pretty solid. Nick Chubb is a f'ing beast. He looks like the Chubb before that leg injury a few years back. 

Bates is a bad coach but Hue won 3 games in 3 years and Haley got fired halfway into the season, and now Baker has Greg Williams at HC which I think is a great move and Freddie Kitchens as OC who's never even been an OC before and never called a game before....yet with these two guys it seems like they're getting a spark from this Browns team as a whole...which again reflects bad on Haley as a guy with all that history and reconfirms why Hue won 3 games in 3 years. 

Bakers situation isnt great, it's just not poor in the same way that it is for Sam and the Jets. But I think John Dorsey is the real deal as GM so in that regard Baker has a tremendous advantage as he'll have a chance to get more talent around him. But as of now he's not swimming in talent. David Njoku needs to be consistent before he can even be consided better than what the Jets have right now.

36 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m really just talking sh*t. So stop being a Girl Scout. I had a problem with the intent behind your posts in the last thread but as far as having some long lasting resentment towards some internet guy past that very moment? Nah not my style.

I don’t care what team you enjoy. Sorry to tell you.

Hey bro, I have no problem with us getting back to normal and talking sh*t to one another....if that's what we're doing. 

We normal now? If so, then we're good to go.

57 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Hey bro, I have no problem with us getting back to normal and talking sh*t to one another....if that's what we're doing. 

We normal now? If so, then we're good to go.

Yeah, we’re fine. I have nothing against you man. You know I still like to see you around here and posting. Not gonna always agree with everything each other posts.

Its all good on my end.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Baker is going to be a great QB. I love his passion.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

He definitely has that "it" factor. He has elite traits. If he can put it together along with the Browns turning the corner, that will be exciting football for atleast a decade.

I think the big caveat is that the Browns looked at what Baker was doing in college and incorporated that into their offense while the Jets looked at what Sam Darnold did in college and chose to make him run a system that Jay Cutler liked in 2008.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think the big caveat is that the Browns looked at what Baker was doing in college and incorporated that into their offense while the Jets looked at what Sam Darnold did in college and chose to make him run a system that Jay Cutler liked in 2008.

2008 being basically cutting edge compared to the rest of the Jets offense.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

THIS!!!! This....so freaking much. 

You know what I've found so stupid and a complete waste of time and energy? The continuing worthless comparisons of QB's to "pro-style" offenses. 

If a guy was absolutely phenomenal in a particular system, I would do everything I possibly could to make sure that the transition is as streamlined as possible. Why? Because this isnt the 80's and 90's where QB's are drafted and they can consistently sit for 2 and 3 years to learn a new system. Most teams are drafting QB's in order to have them start immediately. Whats the point of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole? 

If a player has been highly successful in a particular offense, especially an offensive scheme the produces a crap ton of points, then implementing that should be a no brainer. But generally it isnt. This is why more and more young 30-something year old coaches are beginning to pop up in the league. It's because they dont have this undying philosophy of yesteryear that forces players to conform to it. These young coaches have no problem running what works or what their QB is most comfortable in. 

Tod Bowles and Jeremy Bates are two jackasses and their GM's biggest accomplishment is finding an undrafted free agent in Robby Anderson, and getting the best season ever out of Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

This team and Sam Darnold are doomed unless Chris can convince his brother to let him actually do what must be done and fire these asshats. 

Maybe the Jets should be looking to find a new coach and hopefully that coach finds it as a good idea to enquire about the coaches and coordinators that work with Darnold back at USC and see what they can do to help flesh out the coaching staff. 

Sam Darnold needs an offensive scheme that best allows him to be the best that he can be, he needs and offensive line, and he needs at least one legitimate playmaker as a target. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Absolutely this. Todd Haley > Bates even though I think Haley is a douche. Bates has to be the worst OC in the league at this moment. 

Way to go Jets lol.

oh and the player personnel is god awful for us too. Dorsey actually put some talent around Baker.

At the very least, I'm glad folks are starting to talk about Darnold in somewhat realistic terms.  Every week you heard the game announcers/color guys absolutely anointing him as a no doubt franchise QB.  A guy who is already impressive with all his formidable tools on display.  And I'm watching the game thinking what am I missing?  The kid looks fine, but far from a star.  Darnold has plenty of room for growth which I hope he achieves, surpassing everyone's appraisals. 

Also what bugged me was the weekly shot of McCown on the sidelines with the announcers' obligatory "What a phenomenal teacher and mentor for Darnold".  Again, I'm sitting there thinking this is a guy who, outside of longevity, has done pretty much nothing over his career.  And now he's responsible for Darnold's development?  How about hiring the best QB coach you can find?  Then telling Sam to (like Costanza) do the opposite of what McCown has done.

**For Max if he's reading this post:  Why do the names Darnold and McCown get flagged as misspellings? 

If Joe Thomas is so smart how come he has two first names?

Amirite?

Joking aside, it is juuuuuuust bit early to tell although the final report card on the Darnold draft could be anywhere on the Bust-->HOF continuum.  Baker Mayfield was not an option for us and so the team (and fan base) who needs to worry whether or not they made the right decision is the one who actually had to make that decision.

To these eyes Sam looks like he has more upside potential than any QB we have had in a very long time so I vote HOF.

At least for now.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

+ Bates calls way too many interception and incompletion plays 

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

+ Bates calls way too many interception and incompletion plays 

Considering that literally every player on the offense has looked like they never played a down of football in their lives, I’m going out on a limb and saying that the scheme and coaching coming from Jeremy “Off The Grid” Bates, OC, is part of the problem.

On 11/16/2018 at 12:41 AM, MichaelScott said:

This guys account was made to troll everyone about how Sam sucks at every opportunity.  I can never understand why someone would even take the time to set up a fake account to do that kind of nonsense. Unemployment is rough on some people, I suppose. 

That's what she said..

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Considering that literally every player on the offense has looked like they never played a down of football in their lives, I’m going out on a limb and saying that the scheme and coaching coming from Jeremy “Off The Grid” Bates, OC, is part of the problem.

When did you get back? Good to see you.

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Actually he's a first ballot Hall of Fame LT. Probably unanimous. He might know a little more then we do. Just saying....

Warren Sapp is already in the Hall of Fame! Let's have him pick all of our players!! 

*probably wouldn't be much worse, but they'd all be from Miami.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Part of the problem, sure I guess 

The problem? Nah

Unless you are saying that Mac loaded the offense with talent and our historically inexperianced rookie QB was supposed to look like Aaron Rodgers year 1 at which point yes its Bowles/Bates fault pac jr

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Oh man Tom you have been missed. This is great. So true.

Archived