Aaron Rodgers and the Packers

DMan77

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d take the one Super Bowl win and the playoff appearances in a second. The next decade will be very interesting, with so many teams seemingly having found young FQBs. It will be fun seeing how championships are carved up between guys like Goff, Wentz, Mahomes, Watson, Trubisky, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Rose, Garaffollo, Wilson, etc. it’s looks like we could be about to witness a Golden Age of Quarterbacking.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

No, I would force the Eagles to give Nick Foles to the Jaguars, you pinko sh*t-lib. Then I’d make the Patriots lend Tom Brady to the Broncos every other weekend, you unamerican Venezuela-loving beta male hopey-changey Sandersite snowflake. Disgusting.

Hey, just because you have a bad idea, don't get all over me.

The thing that’s always struck me is that Rodgers’ record in tight games isn’t so hot. PFR says he’s only got 14 fourth-quarter comebacks, which is fewer than far younger (and far lesser) QBs like Derek Carr and Andy Dalton and even Ryan Tannehill. Ditto game-winning drives. Rodgers has 22, which puts him in league with Dalton and Joe Flacco; Eli and Matts Stafford and Ryan are all in the 30s and Roethlisberger, Brady, and Brees are all in the 40s. Weird.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think what the league needs to do is exempt a percentage of QB salaries from counting against the cap because it’s ludicrous to have an elite QB go out on a football field every week with cut-rate guards, tackles, and receivers because the team can no longer afford to pay anyone else. Teams shouldn’t be financially punished for drafting and developing an elite QB when they’re ready to compete for titles. It’s stupid and rewards bad teams for not being able to find a decent QB

Now that we have probably found one I couldn’t agree more.

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The thing that’s always struck me is that Rodgers’ record in tight games isn’t so hot. PFR says he’s only got 14 fourth-quarter comebacks, which is fewer than far younger (and far lesser) QBs like Derek Carr and Andy Dalton and even Ryan Tannehill. Ditto game-winning drives. Rodgers has 22, which puts him in league with Dalton and Joe Flacco; Eli and Matts Stafford and Ryan are all in the 30s and Roethlisberger, Brady, and Brees are all in the 40s. Weird.

Rodgers is just a different dude, mentally. I’m not sure if he’s just an introverted genius-type who happens to throw a football well, or if he’s just a straight-up loon that nobody really likes. When you’re not producing comebacks and 4th quarter numbers on par with Flacco and Matt Ryan, with that kind of sample size, there’s really something missing with the guy. 

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My idea was cap relief for the most important position. Your idea was to merge the league into one big hippie commune. 

And, the NE Patriots would circumvent that advantage, creating a greater disparity of league balance, and particularly the AFC East.

That collective dissonance will further drive your general vitriol related to the league, which then permeates this board, which then makes the members of this board read that nonsense.

Yes, I am opposed based on selfish reasons.

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Now that we have probably found one I couldn’t agree more.

Just wait three years, after New Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum burns all the cap space on making Jamal Adams and Leonard Williams co-highest paid players in the league, and they have to let Sam walk because they’re out of cash.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And, the NE Patriots would circumvent that advantage, creating a greater disparity of league balance, and particularly the AFC East.

That collective dissonance will further drive your general vitriol related to the league, which then permeates this board, which then makes the members of this board read that nonsense.

Yes, I am opposed based on selfish reasons.

You don’t invalidate a worthwhile and effective system because one pernicious actor tries to circumvent that system, you quinoa-stuffed Birkenstock.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just wait three years, after New Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum burns all the cap space on making Jamal Adams and Leonard Williams co-highest paid players in the league, and they have to let Sam walk because they’re out of cash.

Tannenbaum is not going to hurt you anymore Tom, it’s ok. Come, rest your weary head on my bountiful bosom, it will be ok. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Are you a Jets fan?  Some days you remind me of PatsFanTX. 

Just now, The Crusher said:

Tannenbaum is not going to hurt you anymore Tom, it’s ok. Come, rest your weary head on my bountiful bosom, it will be ok. 

If there’s one rule I have in life, it’s that you never let your fury die until your enemies’ heads are on a pike and their bodies charred in the funereal pits of West Hades

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Now ask yourself this question. Who is more likely to lead a turnaround of that magnitude?

Jim Harbaugh or Matt LaFleur, DeFillippo, ect?

even if you believe neither will. Who do you believe in more? 

Lol ok then let’s go get that guy.

I can tell you it’s not Matt LaFleur or DeFillipo. 

The LaFleur infatuation is crazy to me. Titans fans want the guy fired. Lol. 

2 hours ago, Xtina said:

IMO McCarthy has squandered Rodgers 

Maybe the last few seasons but McCarthy made Rogers. People seem to forget that. All that McCarthy did to correct rogers flaws and increasing his accuracy and arm strength. 

38 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Christmas Eve is my favorite day of the year. The Feast of the 7 Fishes, an hours long traditional Italian feast shared with my entire family, followed by the exchanging of presents. It’s  always been a wonderful day, but now in order to enjoy it, I have to somehow get the image of you cradling @TOmShane’s head against your bosom, out of my mind. Lol. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

If I wanted to win my fantasy pool, I take Marino & Rodgers. If I wanted to see a team win a championship, I take Namath & Montana. Aaron Rodgers is the Wade Boggs of Football. Wade would get a few hits every game. With the game on the line, he rarely came through. But the stats would look pretty enough that he would get a pass.

13 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Christmas Eve is my favorite day of the year. Between the Feast of the 7 Fishes, an hours long traditional Italian feast shared with my entire family, followed by the exchanging of presents. It’s  always been a wonderful day, but now in order to enjoy it, I have to somehow get the image of you cradling @TOmShane’s head against your bosom, Lol. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Jealousy is a wasted emotion. 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I'd be curious to see what drives they take into consideration. I think impact scores in Q4 & OT would give us a clearer picture. For example, in Arizona a couple of years ago for either WC or divisional round, IIRC he led two game tying drives in the 4th quarter only to have the defense give the lead back and eventually lose it in OT. I don't think the stats you've posted accounts for those, whereas an impact score would.

Similarly, an impact score would show how vital he was to putting the Packers in position to win the NFCCG in Seattle 3 or 4 years ago but the defense and ST lost the game. This was the game where ESPN was trying to show off their "analytics" and posted the packers win probability at over 90% because they were up 2 scores with something like 3 or 4 mins left, only to have defensive and ST blunders and seattle walk off with a win. I don't think Aaron even got to see the field again and they went home while Sea went on to lose the SB on the malcom butler play.

There were also three games this year where Aaron didn't even get an opportunity for a potential game winning/tying drive at the end because of defense/ST/his supporting cast fumbling the ball away.

10 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I'd be curious to see what drives they take into consideration. I think impact scores in Q4 & OT would give us a clearer picture. For example, in Arizona a couple of years ago for either WC or divisional round, IIRC he led two game tying drives in the 4th quarter only to have the defense give the lead back and eventually lose it in OT. I don't think the stats you've posted accounts for those, whereas an impact score would.

Similarly, an impact score would show how vital he was to putting the Packers in position to win the NFCCG in Seattle 3 or 4 years ago but the defense and ST lost the game. This was the game where ESPN was trying to show off their "analytics" and posted the packers win probability at over 90% because they were up 2 scores with something like 3 or 4 mins left, only to have defensive and ST blunders and seattle walk off with a win. I don't think Aaron even got to see the field again and they went home while Sea went on to lose the SB on the malcom butler play.

There were also three games this year where Aaron didn't even get an opportunity for a potential game winning/tying drive at the end because of defense/ST/his supporting cast fumbling the ball away.

Yeah, both are flawed stats for sure, especially for a guy who’s played with some mediocre (or worse) defenses. As just raw numbers though, they do seem kind of odd.

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

If by home team discount you mean taking money under the table illegally in the form of subsidies to his "friend's" supplement company, then yes.

Just wait a year or two after he retires, when it’s not quite so obvious, Brady WILL sign a very lucrative lifetime “personal services” contract with the team to act as an “ambassador” to compensate him for the discounts over the years. Part of the terms is he’s a Pat for life. It’s alteady a handshake deal with Kraft. Hence the Grappalo move that angered Bill.

58 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Christmas Eve is my favorite day of the year. The Feast of the 7 Fishes, an hours long traditional Italian feast shared with my entire family, followed by the exchanging of presents. It’s  always been a wonderful day, but now in order to enjoy it, I have to somehow get the image of you cradling @TOmShane’s head against your bosom, out of my mind. Lol. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Happy Feast day! We'll be getting ours started in a few hours with some Baccala and linguini with clams pretty soon... Ah, what a day.

3 hours ago, DMan77 said:

This question could go for any of about 25 teams I feel... It's a question you could basically ask a fan of any team I think..

"You will have a record setting, arguably top 5 QB in the history of the NFL. You will win 1 Super Bowl. How do you feel?"

And I'm not saying the answer to that question is "good!" or "bad!"... I can understand why asking the question in the first place maybe leans towards me criticizing Rodger's and the Packers results, but that's not the case.

I'm just interested to hear people's thought processes and such. It's fun to see how people tick. 

Can’t imagine an answer other than “a Super Bowl would be amazing” from Jets fans older than 25.

No i disagree about the QB exempt idea.  The cap is monstrous as it is. 

1)  Do not give out the big deal to the one off QB who is not really a franchise guy (ie Joe Flacco).  Kirk Cousins to a team whose coach wants to run 35 times a game.

2) Spend wisely.  Look at the jets biggest contracts lately, revis, mo wilk, tru johsnon,  all bums.

As for Rogers, great Qb but also a tad over rated.  He has the same # of super bowls as brad johnson and flacco etc.

Archived