Draft Idea

TNJet

Personally I'd be stoked if we drafted 3 offensive linemen in this single draft. It would make up for Maccagnans fck up of only drafting 2 in the last 4 years. I'd draft the best LT available at 3 overall. Preferably Bama's Jonah Williams. I'd draft the best C available in the 3rd round. Long and Harrison are a disaster. And maybe 4th or 5th rnd draft another good RT prospect. Obviously we need to protect our franchise QB since we finally have one. It would also improve our running game which is the worst its been in a decade. Thoughts guys??? Yay or nay?

Investing in the line is always smart and long over due. 

I'm down with LT in the first but would hope they can find upgrades at center and guard in free agency first but if not then I would prefer center in the draft 

I don't know what is going on but the defensive front 7 talent coming out seems to be topping the oline talent consistently for a few years now. 

I like Herndon Anderson and Q but they need to invest in a WR too 

I don’t like the idea of assigning players to specific rounds, that’s how you end up with a bunch of mediocre talents. I do agree that C has to be a priority but I want the team to sign mitch morse. he’s a clear upgrade at C and can also play multiple positions. that way you don’t have to worry about starting a rookie right away

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Investing in the line is always smart and long over due. 

I'm down with LT in the first but would hope they can find upgrades at center and guard in free agency first but if not then I would prefer center in the draft 

I don't know what is going on but the defensive front 7 talent coming out seems to be topping the oline talent consistently for a few years now. 

I like Herndon Anderson and Q but they need to invest in a WR too 

Good points. I just realise this yrs draft is down on offensive skill players anyway. Might as well stock up on much needed big uglies. The 06 draft has always been a fave of mine. We took Brick and Mangold with our first 2 picks possibly the best we've ever had at both positions. I'd love to recapture that again. Also gifted us Brad Smith, Leon Washington. Great draft ?

i think drafting 3 OL is the right move.  A WR would be nice.  I am fine with whatever they do with the other picks, as long as they sign Le'Veon Bell.  

Bell needs to be the queen on the chess board in the Jets offense next season.   Moving everywhere, instilling fear, opening space for other pieces, creating havoc, and destroying the opposition until it's checkmate.

9 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Personally I'd be stoked if we drafted 3 offensive linemen in this single draft. It would make up for Maccagnans fck up of only drafting 2 in the last 4 years. I'd draft the best LT available at 3 overall. Preferably Bama's Jonah Williams. I'd draft the best C available in the 3rd round. Long and Harrison are a disaster. And maybe 4th or 5th rnd draft another good RT prospect. Obviously we need to protect our franchise QB since we finally have one. It would also improve our running game which is the worst its been in a decade. Thoughts guys??? Yay or nay?

I can definitely see spending two picks on the offensive line.  I think using three picks would destroy our draft.  Too many other holes to fill.  Long and Harrison are not the biggest flaws on our offensive line.  They can both be useful players, maybe just not at center. A blend of draft choices and some free agent pick-ups would go a long way towards fixing this weak link. Like the thought of Jonah Williams, but also like the idea of trading down for the extra pick/picks.  

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

i think drafting 3 OL is the right move.  A WR would be nice.  I am fine with whatever they do with the other picks, as long as they sign Le'Veon Bell.   Bell needs to be the queen on the chess board in the Jets offense next season.   Moving everywhere, opening space for other pieces, creating havoc, and destroying the opposition.

Bell would be our new overpaid holdout headache/cancer. No thanks. Draft Damien Harris he'd fit in well by committe with Powell and McGuire.

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I can definitely see spending two picks on the offensive line.  I think using three picks would destroy our draft.  Too many other holes to fill.  Long and Harrison are not the biggest flaws on our offensive line.  They can both be useful players, maybe just not at center. A blend of draft choices and some free agent pick-ups would go a long way towards fixing this weak link. Like the thought of Jonah Williams, but also like the idea of trading down for the extra pick/picks.  

I agree Long can be our starting LG. He's better there anyway.

11 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Bell would be our new overpaid holdout headache/cancer. No thanks. Draft Damien Harris he'd fit in well by committe with Powell and McGuire.

Spoken like someone that doesn't understand there is little to no value in fraud agency.  Screw a committee.  Committee players give away information.  Some are runners.  Some are receivers.  The defense can make educated guesses on run versus pass based on personnel.

Le'Veon Bell is a special player.  A dual threat.  When Bell is on the field, he can line up all over the field... the defense has no idea if it is run or pass.  They have no idea where Bell is going.  He freezes linebackers.  He is amongst the best check down receivers in the league for Darnold.  He darts quickly when there is an immediate hole in the running game.  He waits for something when there isn't, and makes positive yardage out of nothing. 

The other players available in fraud agency?  Crap.  Useless, overpaid, crap.  Trumaine Johnsons...  That is what you should say "no thanks" to.

25 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Spoken like someone that doesn't understand there is little to no value in fraud agency.  Screw a committee.  Committee players give away information.  Some are runners.  Some are receivers.  The defense can make educated guesses on run versus pass based on personnel.

Le'Veon Bell is a special player.  A dual threat.  When Bell is on the field, he can line up all over the field... the defense has no idea if it is run or pass.  They have no idea where Bell is going.  He freezes linebackers.  He is amongst the best check down receivers in the league for Darnold.  He darts quickly when there is an immediate hole in the running game.  He waits for something when there isn't, and makes positive yardage out of nothing. 

The other players available in fraud agency?  Crap.  Useless, overpaid, crap.  Trumaine Johnsons...  That is what you should say "no thanks" to.

I'm actually warming on Bell due to the on field potential he brings to the Jets and for Sam in particular.  I am leery of the self centered attitude, but I've gone round and round on that subject. I have very little desire to do it again.  That said, Drafting two OL prospects and nabbing Bell and maybe Tate in FA and we are off to the races man. 

I just got a little pang o excitement and that makes me a little sad that I'm so excited for the friggin offseason. Firing Bowles is first up. That's pretty good news to begin with. 

30 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Best case yet for signing Bell.  His skills as a player are not what concerns me. They are beyond reproach,  It's his makeup that is the concern. This is not a good guy.  I'm not saying he has to be Citizen Kane.  I'm just afraid he can blow up a locker room.  Sorta did that with the  Steelers, and they're a lot more stable organization than what we have here.  On a  team with no real mature  leaders {at this point} that  is, and should, be a major red flag. Great argument though.

7 hours ago, TNJet said:

Yay and Nay. Trade back. Accumulate some potentially  elite talent on the OL to develop. Get an extra pick or 2 and THEN take the best T on the board. Hopefully we get some nice compensation, maybe a 2nd rounder and a 4th. Take the best OL with the next pick in rd 2. We have 2 3rd round picks. Move up if there’s another elite OL and take him. Then trade Lee and Williams for extra picks. Keep trading and change the talent level of this offense. The defense sucks at this point but it’s the stronger half at this point. Improving the OL first is mandatory.  

Trade back to the #10 pick and take Jonah Williams and Greg Little with the extra pick given. Walk away with the top 2 Tackles in the draft. ? Goodbye Beachum and Shell. Although I like Shell he's a good RT imo. Maybe move Shell to guard?

Through FA and the Draft I'd like to see about 3 OLineman added.  Whether that's 1 in FA and 2 in the Draft, or vice versa, I don't particularly care.  However, I want the draft pick(s) to be valuable ones.  I'm not interested in some 6th round Guard project from Toledo who recently converted to football from wrestling.  Use a pick or two in Rounds 1-3.

My hope is that 1 of the WR's elevate themselves to the elite prospect category throughout the draft process and they warrant a top 3 pick. I think the Jets restructure Beachums contract to keep him and then sign a guard and center in FA. Draft a tackle in the 3rd. They really need a #1 WR and if there is one available they need to take him. Elite WR's never become available in FA.

My other option is to contact TB right after the season to discuss if Miike Evans is available. If he is they need to make that happen. I don't think using a top 3 pick in the draft on a Tackle is wise this year. Jonah Williams is projected to either move to Guard or RT in the nfl. You don't select guys like that in the top 3. I'd rather them deal with the offensive line in FA then use early picks to address it this year. I'd rather have stable veteran guys protecting Darnold then a line with a couple of Rookies. That sh*t can ruin a season real quick. 

Archived