With The 3rd Pick In The 2019 NFL Draft The New York Jets Select

New York Mick

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Yes from passrusher because a good oline negates a good passrush. Darnold and scoring points is the future of this team. Build aroundbthe QB.  

You need to invest years of draft picks to build up a good O-line.  Not try to fix it all in one draft or one offseason. 

Meanwhile, just 1 elite pass rusher can dominate a game on the defensive side of the ball.  Thus, the individual pass rusher is the more important position.

Take the pass rusher at 3 if we can't trade down.  Use as much of the rest of the draft and lots of FA dollars (Matt Paradis, etc) on O-line.

1 minute ago, LockeJET said:

There is a really good chance the Jets fill their pass rushing need in free agency. If they do this, I'd bet my life that if we stay at #3 the pick is Greedy Williams.

If they pick up a starting LT, OG and OC I have no problem with them taking Greedy, Q Williams or J Williams. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You need to invest years of draft picks to build up a good O-line.  Not try to fix it all in one draft or one offseason. 

Meanwhile, just 1 elite pass rusher can dominate a game on the defensive side of the ball.  Thus, the individual pass rusher is the more important position.

Take the pass rusher at 3 if we can't trade down.  Use as much of the rest of the draft and lots of FA dollars (Matt Paradis, etc) on O-line.

Exactly it takes years to build the Oline so start now because you need to build around the QB and a passrusher isn’t taking this team to the SB. The QB is by far the most important player so you build around him first especially if he’s young. 

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

Exactly it takes years to build the Oline so start now because you need to build around the QB and a passrusher isn’t taking this team to the SB. The QB is by far the most important player so you build around him first especially if he’s young.  

Start now, yes.  I'm advocating this. 

I'm just not advocating taking an OK or good O-lineman over a potentially elite pass rusher at # 3 overall.

If I'm making the decisions, it would require a trade down to take O-line in the first. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You need to invest years of draft picks to build up a good O-line.  Not try to fix it all in one draft.

Meanwhile, just 1 elite pass rusher can dominate a game.  Thus, the individual pass rusher is the more important position.

I don't necessarily think one is more important than the other. But, an edge rusher can't "dominate" a game you are losing, and you need a really good O line to be winning consistently. Also, isn't it harder to build an O line since you need 5 guys?  It's kind of a chicken or egg thing. I'm not sure there really is a correct answer. It's really just a matter of preference. IMO, I'd hate to waste an elite edge rushers prime years, playing in games where he can not use his talents because his team is losing in the 4th quarter. But, once again, I think its just a matter of having a preferred way of building your club.

On a side note. What the hell is Mac doing? He's had 4 years, His results: Zero edge rushers and 1 RT drafted in the 5th round. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Start now, yes.  I'm advocating this. 

I'm just not advocating taking an OK O-lineman over a potentially elite pass rusher at # 3 overall.

If I'm making the decisions, it would require a trade down to take O-line in the first. 

Thank **** you’re not making the decisions. 

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

IMO, I'd hate to waste an elite edge rushers prime years, playing in games where he can not use his talents because his team is losing in the 4th quarter.

You wouldn't.  Because generally,  elite pass rushers don't hit free agency.  We'd lock him up after his rookie deal.  He'd actually be worth the money, rather than guys like Darron Lee or Leonard Williams. 

Thank **** you’re not making the decisions. 

You have yet to make a compelling argument for taking any of the O-linemen in this draft at # 3 overall.  You're not thinking like a GM.  You're thinking like a fan who is making a knee-jerk reaction to Macc's previous failures. 

All we'd be doing is compounding the mistakes by reaching for an O-lineman that isn't good enough.  Whereas I'm advocating for properly valuing players and positions for what they are. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

You have yet to make a compelling argument for taking any of the O-linemen in this draft at # 3 overall.  You're not thinking like a GM.  You're thinking like a fan. 

You have yet to make a compelling argument for taking any of the passrushers in this draft at #3 overall. You’re not thinking like a GM. You’re thinking like a fan. 

You have yet to make a compelling argument for taking any of the passrushers in this draft at #3 overall. You’re not thinking like a GM. You’re thinking like a fan. 

I've done that in other threads plenty of times.  Bosa is my first choice, followed by Josh Allen, with Clelin Ferrell in the running as well.  How Ferrell does in the National Title game will be telling.

We also, of course, need to be watching Jonah Williams as well. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I've done that in other threads plenty of times.  Bosa is my first choice, followed by Josh Allen, with Clelin Ferrell in the running as well.  How Ferrell does in the National Title game will be telling.

We also, of course, need to be watching Jonah Williams as well. 

As I feel I have. 

If J Williams does good in the championship game and doesn’t give up a sack and holds his own it’s a no brainer. If he plays bad you don’t draft him and trade down to pick up an OT, if you can’t trade down then pick the BPA. 

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm hoping a QB or two climbs in the rankings and as a result, the Jets are able to trade down with a QB desperate team, accumulate picks, and then take a WR with their 1st pick. 

Unless Haskins destroys the combine and his interviews I just don’t see this fantasy materializing

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

As I feel I have. 

If J Williams does good in the championship game and doesn’t give up a sack and holds his own it’s a no brainer. If he plays bad you don’t draft him and trade down to pick up an OT, if you can’t trade down then pick the BPA. 

Yes if we sign Demarcus Lawrence and Jadaveon Clowney I’m free agency then it’s ok to draft a right tackle at 3rd overall

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm hoping a QB or two climbs in the rankings and as a result, the Jets are able to trade down with a QB desperate team, accumulate picks, and then take a WR with their 1st pick. 

Which WR and how is Darnold going to pass the ball effectively to him without a running game or protection?

23 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yes if we sign Demarcus Lawrence and Jadaveon Clowney I’m free agency then it’s ok to draft a right tackle at 3rd overall

FA, the NCAA championship and combine are obviously going to have a lot to do with it. 

RT, LT, OG and OC. Williams can play them all. 

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Which WR and how is Darnold going to pass the ball effectively to him without a running game or protection?

The OL and running game also needs to be addressed and hopefully will be via free agency and the draft too.  The Jets have so many holes that it's unrealistic to think that all will be addressed in 2019.  You just have to start somewhere.  

If the Jets draft an OL in the first round, that's fine too.  IMO their first pick has to be OL or WR, that's why a trade down is what I'm hoping for so they won't have to reach for either and accumulate an extra pick or two in the process.  

The WR I like is A.J. Brown.

17 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The OL and running game also needs to be addressed and hopefully will be via free agency and the draft too.  The Jets have so many holes that it's unrealistic to think that all will be addressed in 2019.  You just have to start somewhere.  

If the Jets draft an OL in the first round, that's fine too.  IMO their first pick has to be OL or WR, that's why a trade down is what I'm hoping for so they won't have to reach for either and accumulate an extra pick or two in the process.  

The WR I like is A.J. Brown.

It’s not a great WR class this year but there’s a few interesting players. Was wondering what one you liked. 

After watching this game I was back and forth with whether or not Johan was worth the 3rd pick during the first half but he showed a lot in the second. Out of the choices available I’d still want them to draft him unless Bosa drops and he isn’t going to. Johan played against a really good DL and didn’t give up any sacks and only one major pressure. He can pull like a SOB, gets into the second level, does good against the bull and speed rush and picks up multiple players well. He’s not great but he stands out as much as any of the top guys and is a need. 

I hope they can trade back. 

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Like jonah williams but not enough to go 3.

Quenne willaims did almost nothing.

If we have to pick at 3 now for me it has to be allen.

Do not want the CB.

By FAR the best outcome for the jets would be to trade down.

With Haskins coming out, this scenario is starting to look more promising for us.  I think we'll be sitting pretty by the time the draft rolls around.  If they take a  cornerback at #3, I'll puke.

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

With Haskins coming out, this scenario is starting to look more promising for us.  I think we'll be sitting pretty by the time the draft rolls around.  If they take a  cornerback at #3, I'll puke.

I’d rather have them draft Greedy then Allen. 

On 1/8/2019 at 4:03 AM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Trade the 3 pick to the giants for their first round pick plus Olivier Vernon

Giants can draft Haskins

Jets can draft Jonah at 6 and get an actual pass rusher in Vernon

Everyone wins.

27 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Trade the 3 pick to the giants for their first round pick plus Olivier Vernon

Giants can draft Haskins

Jets can draft Jonah at 6 and get an actual pass rusher in Vernon

Everyone wins.

You keep spamming this ridiculous idea all over this board.  

Jaguars seem to have issues with Jalen Ramsey.  If we sign Gregg Williams, I suspect he could keep him more in line than most DCs.  He's controversial because of his mouth, but he's talented, only 24 and could step right in as the starting CB opposite Tru.

Swap 1st plus get Ramsey and a 3rd from JAX?  Then draft Jonah Williams, a WR or a pass rusher at 7?

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:21 PM, nycdan said:

Jaguars seem to have issues with Jalen Ramsey.  If we sign Gregg Williams, I suspect he could keep him more in line than most DCs.  He's controversial because of his mouth, but he's talented, only 24 and could step right in as the starting CB opposite Tru.

Swap 1st plus get Ramsey and a 3rd from JAX?  Then draft Jonah Williams, a WR or a pass rusher at 7?

Leo for Ramsey

We need O line. I would love a trade back to get more picks especially a 2nd rdr, but if we only have one pick in the 1st round and Jonah Williams is your highest rated OL guy, you take him at 3.  If he's ok to pick at 6-10, he's fine to take at 3. This value stuff gets way too much press man. I understand it if all things are equal you go for the value, but when you NEED OL and only have one chance to get one in the first, you take him when you pick. 

Waiting until the 3rd round to address the OL because its 4-5 picks too early to pick someone you like is utter ridiculousness IMO. 

The only way I think otherwise is if you're going for the highest rated WR. That's it. This nonsense about taking a DT with our first pick because of the value is maddening. I would be incredibly disappointed if we actually committed that travesty.

Even going OL with the first 3 picks would be fine by me. We don't need anything more! 

Archived