With The 3rd Pick In The 2019 NFL Draft The New York Jets Select

New York Mick

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well why wouldnt they?  Theyve already got their QB, the've already addressed their DL and there isnt a skill position player that deserves to be taken at 2.  Not saying they will draft him but not so sure they wouldnt.  OL is too important with a FQB on the roster

They already have Staley and McClinchy at Tackle.  They have a good OL overall.  Their top needs are Pass Rusher and corner.  

They certainly could take Williams and play him at Guard for a few years until Staley retires.  They have much more glaring needs though, in my opinion.  Who knows, I just would be surprised.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

No, why would the HC have final say, thats the GMs job.  No matter what some fans believe.  

And you dont have to entertain the idea that he drafted Darnold or not.  Of course he did and the stance makes no sense though.  But you can also believe the world is flat, there were no dinosaurs or the moon landing was a hoax

I’ll go with the full proof conclusive fact and believe you’re a nut ? 

Who is going to block for Darnold and the backs?

Even if we draft 5 new OL this year, we’d need to pick up at least 1-2 free agents.

Drafted OL can’t be trusted to start right away these days. Not with the steep learning curve moving from the spread offenses in college to the pros. You draft OL to develop a pipeline of sorts, while free agents provide a “bridge”.

We need to draft OL this year because of our complete and utter neglect there the last 4 years. But it doesn’t require using a 1st rounder there. And it will most definitely require free agent investment.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

If they can trade back they should look at Little then Taylor. I hope they do trade back and pick up a OT in the first and a WR or OC/OG in the second. Obviously depending on FA. 

Absolutely a huge f'in no to Little. A bust in the making and you'll see him slide down come draft day.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if we draft 5 new OL this year, we’d need to pick up at least 1-2 free agents.

Drafted OL can’t be trusted to start right away these days. Not with the steep learning curve moving from the spread offenses in college to the pros. You draft OL to develop a pipeline of sorts, while free agents provide a “bridge”.

We need to draft OL this year because of our complete and utter neglect there the last 4 years. But it doesn’t require using a 1st rounder there. And it will most definitely require free agent investment.

Not true especially when you consider draft position. We've had a couple of rookies in Martin and now Nelson make first team all-pro in their rookie seasons.

However I do agree if they came from a strictly spread offense and never played in a three point stance then the learning curve can be steep. Jonah Williams is a player that you can plug and play as a rookie and I think he'll be just fine.

On 1/5/2019 at 9:00 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

The Todd Bowles philosophy. Seriously I get what you are saying. If Jets did draft 1st round O-linenman I would expect him too start 4th, 5th or 6th rounder not so much.

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

So, if the Bears had a better kicker, that would help prove a good pass rush is important?

The Bears, Texans, Vikes, Broncos, Browns, Seahawks, Cards, Skins, Steelers all had top sacks guys. LA and KC are the only two left with top sack guys and both have top scoring offenses. 

Did I overdo it with this one? I think you get 3-4 starters out of this draft, solidify a weak unit and support Sam.

Round 1 Pick 3: Williams, Jonah, OT, Alabama
Round 3 Pick 3: Lindstrom, Chris, OG, Boston College
Round 3 Pick 31: Burkett, Jesse, C, Stanford
Round 4 Pick 3: Sills V, David, WR, West Virginia
Round 5 Pick 3: Scharping, Max, OT, Northern Illinois
Round 7 Pick 3: Langley, Isaiah, CB, Southern California
Round 7 Pick 4: Connelly, Ryan, ILB, Wisconsin

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

The Bears, Texans, Vikes, Broncos, Browns, Seahawks, Cards, Skins, Steelers all had top sacks guys. LA and KC are the only two left with top sack guys and both have top scoring offenses. 

Well that solves it.  Only 5 playoffs teams had elite pass rushers therefore it’s clearly passe

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Bosa and Ingram are doing ok I heard

And so are Okung (6th) and Pouncey (15th). Rivers was sacked once against a very good defense, one guy on the line was drafted after the 3rd round. The team had 7 sacks Bosa (3rd) and Gordon (15th) had 3 combined. 

Next

Jason Peters was the MVP of yesterday's game. He freaking stoned Khalil Mack for the most part. We need to fix our Oline so Sam can do work. I'd have no problem taking Jonah Williams if he's there. Gonna watch him vs a great Clemson front.

We get to see both Jonah & Quinnen.

If we do not trade the pick for a pick later in the first round, a second and third round pick it will be a failure. But I think they should wait until Draft Day to pull the trigger on any trade because if Quinnen Williams, IMO we can get a team to overpay for the value of the #3 selection because Williams is that good. If we can't get our asking price, and Williams is sitting there at 3, the Jets have to take him because he is that good.

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pass rush is a cornerstone piece to building a consistent winner.  Its especially important if you already have your QB. 

IMO, 3 positions are "final" pieces of the puzzle type players: RB, WR, Edge Rusher. The first order of business in building a winning club is finding a QB because if you don't have a real good one, the rest doesn't matter. The second step is to build your O line and D front 7 dedicating most of your picks in the first 3 or 4 rounds to these spots. Why? Because if you dominate the line of scrimmage then you win the game. A dominant O line and D front 7 along with a QB are the cornerstones of a consistent winner. You may have noticed that the Patriots have won 5 SBs without a dominant Edge Rusher.

Along the way you scatter some picks in the first 4 rounds on your secondary. After all, with the way the NFL works, shut down corners are a thing of the past, and if a game changing CB or S happens to be the BPA when the pick comes around, you can pick him up. Then, you can look to add your #1 WR, 3 down RB, and Edge Rusher with top picks in the draft. The logic of this is that it allows these 3 types of players to contribute big time from day 1 because all of the rest of the pieces are in place. It is tough for RB to get yards without a hole made by his O line, a #1 WR can't catch a ball the QB didn't throw because his was under pressure, and an Edge Rusher is far less impactful if he is constantly double teamed (and is most useful when your team is very good and playing with the lead in the 4th quarter).

Archived