1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

They have some decent staff:

OL - Rick Dennison

ST - Boyer

RBs - Stump Mitchell 

TEs - Jimmie Johnson

WRs - Karl Dorrell

OLBs - Kevin Greene

Jets should bring in AS MUCH coaching talent as possible, this would be my "Dream" list to build a staff:

McCarthy as HC

Gase as OC

Steve Wilks as DC - and convert 4-3 to salvage Lee & Williams

***EDIT**** I'd rather Gregg Williams now that he's been fired by Cleveland and STILL switch to a 4-3.

Would Williams be a viable HC candidate for the Jets?  

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I'd think that retaining the GM and many coaches/staff members really shrinks the list of guys who will come here to interview for HC.

You retain them, then allow the new coach to choose if he wants to keep any of them.

The fair thing to do, since you supposedly known you were going to do this is to quickly call in your targets, and make your hire. Allows these coaches to move on if they are not retained.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

OL - Rick Dennison

ST - Boyer

RBs - Stump Mitchell 

TEs - Jimmie Johnson

WRs - Karl Dorrell

OLBs - Kevin Greene

Jets should bring in AS MUCH coaching talent as possible, this would be my "Dream" list to build a staff:

McCarthy as HC

Gase as OC

***EDIT**** I'd rather Gregg Williams now that he's been fired by Cleveland and STILL switch to a 4-3.

Yea let the new HC decide who to keep. We have some decent position coaches, and an up and coming ST coach. The problem was the main dolts in Charge (Bowles, Rodgers, Bates) 

10 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Any Coach will want too and should be able to bring in whomever he wants. Especially if they hire your "dream guy" in McCarthy. A name coach will want to bring in guys he feels comfortable with and it will be a major obstacle to hiring a name HC if he must retain anyone from the previous staff. I'm curious as too why you would want to bring back anyone with the exception of Boyer and maybe Johnson as you could argue that not only did those other units perform badly but even regressed in some cases? If you claim they didn't have anything to work with I'm not buying it. A good coach gets the most out of what he has and if that's what happened on this team than that is a serious indictment of Macc and the roster he has put together because lets face it they sucked. I'm all for cleaning house and letting the new HC pick and choose who he wants and if HE chooses some holdovers from the previous staff fine but to have these guys forced on him? No go IMO. Especially if you want a name guy like McCarthy.

Im curious as to whats the advantage of firing guys you already have under contract who would be available to whoever comes in if they need a position coach to interview.  How on earth is this an actual problem?  Not every coach will come in with a full complement of qualified assistant coaches

5 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Any Coach will want too and should be able to bring in whomever he wants. Especially if they hire your "dream guy" in McCarthy. A name coach will want to bring in guys he feels comfortable with and it will be a major obstacle to hiring a name HC if he must retain anyone from the previous staff. I'm curious as too why you would want to bring back anyone with the exception of Boyer and maybe Johnson as you could argue that not only did those other units perform badly but even regressed in some cases? If you claim they didn't have anything to work with I'm not buying it. A good coach gets the most out of what he has and if that's what happened on this team than that is a serious indictment of Macc and the roster he has put together because lets face it they sucked. I'm all for cleaning house and letting the new HC pick and choose who he wants and if HE chooses some holdovers from the previous staff fine but to have these guys forced on him? No go IMO. Especially if you want a name guy like McCarthy.

I think Greene is the perfect example of why you give the new coach the ability to opt who to keep.  You mention McCarthy specifically, and let's not forget that Greene spent the first 5 years of his coaching career under McCarthy in GB.  He just helped get a career year out of Jenkins, and was working with a bunch of nobodies beyond that, but still got some return.  If it were to be McCarthy, it's a good money bet Greene isn't going anywhere.  There are similar arguments and relationships that exist with other candidates as well.

I agree that it should be up to the new head coach to pick his own staff, but there's no reason to start making assumptions about who he will or won't want, so might as well hold onto them until those decisions are ready to  be made.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And you hope they get a new head coach before too long as you do not want to impede the assistants from other jobs for too long and leave them hanging.

Totally agree with this, but additionally, you also need to make the move fast to help ensure the pool of available assistants your new HC may be interested in hasn't dried up.  Interviewing needs to start instantly and, short of there being a playoff coach they are 100% certain will be the hire, the position should be filled right away.

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Im curious as to whats the advantage of firing guys you already have under contract who would be available to whoever comes in if they need a position coach to interview.  How on earth is this an actual problem?  Not every coach will come in with a full complement of qualified assistant coaches

LOL. 4-12. 4-12. 4-12. 4-12. Isn't that reason enough? As I said in the post IF  whomever they hire wants to retain some of those guys fine. You don't just tell the new hire "here's the job but you have to keep these guys". Doesn't make any kind of sense. The new HC needs to have some control on who he wants as his assistants.

14 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I think Greene is the perfect example of why you give the new coach the ability to opt who to keep.  You mention McCarthy specifically, and let's not forget that Greene spent the first 5 years of his coaching career under McCarthy in GB.  He just helped get a career year out of Jenkins, and was working with a bunch of nobodies beyond that, but still got some return.  If it were to be McCarthy, it's a good money bet Greene isn't going anywhere.  There are similar arguments and relationships that exist with other candidates as well.

I agree that it should be up to the new head coach to pick his own staff, but there's no reason to start making assumptions about who he will or won't want, so might as well hold onto them until those decisions are ready to  be made.

I said the same thing. If the HC wants to keep some of those guys fine but HE should have full autonomy on who his assistants are. The only reason I brought up McCarthy was because the post I quoted mentioned him. I fully expect McCarthy to go elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

LOL. 4-12. 4-12. 4-12. 4-12. Isn't that reason enough? As I said in the post IF  whomever they hire wants to retain some of those guys fine. You don't just tell the new hire "here's the job but you have to keep these guys". Doesn't make any kind of sense. The new HC needs to have some control on who he wants as his assistants.

Stop making shlt up, no one is going to tell the new HC that they have to hire anyone of these coaches.  Theyre getting paid so there is no reason to fire them today.  It isnt that hard to understand.  Not every candidate has a full compliment of coaches ready to come in, they'll interview people to fill spots.  No one has even hinted that they have to be hired

24 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Agree entirely. Let the new HC pick from the litter of guys we have under contract. No reason at all to lose anyone the new guy may want.  IMO there will be very few , if any the new HC retains. Boyer and maybe Greene, but beyond that I'd say they're gone.  Still want to give the option though. 

New HC should immediately make McCown an offer for QB coach.  Sam loves him and keeps around his NY BFF to ease through the transition.  Who better to help Darnold navigate through a new regime than someone who has done it 16 times.

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agree entirely. Let the new HC pick from the litter of guys we have under contract. No reason at all to lose anyone the new guy may want.  IMO there will be very few , if any the new HC retains. Boyer and maybe Greene, but beyond that I'd say they're gone.  Still want to give the option though. 

Yeah, I imagine the list will be fairly short, but you never know.  The other factor to consider is that there is also the unfortunate reality that the new head coach may not necessarily get all the assistants he would ideally want, if they're currently under contract elsewhere.  If that were the case, there could be the possibility of him giving some current assistants a chance until one of "his guys" shakes free.  That's far from ideal of course, and definitely not what I'm hoping for, but it's certainly happened around the league plenty of times before.

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Stop making shlt up, no one is going to tell the new HC that they have to hire anyone of these coaches.  Theyre getting paid so there is no reason to fire them today.  It isnt that hard to understand.  Not every candidate has a full compliment of coaches ready to come in, they'll interview people to fill spots.  No one has even hinted that they have to be hired

No one is making sh*t up. This staff went 4-12. They all had a hand in it.  Its obvious new blood is needed. If the new HC wants to retain some of them fine but to even allow them to interview for the HC job bothers the hell out of me. Everyone on the staff has to be accountable. Unless Bowles was a total dictator and said my way or the highway which is clearly not the case why even let them interview? Its time to get new blood in here to change the way they do things. The old stuff didn't work as is evidenced by the on field product. No. If it were up too me they all would be given the gate with the exception of one or two of them. To each his own I guess but I don't see the advantage of keeping any of the ones mentioned.

6 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

No one is making sh*t up. This staff went 4-12. They all had a hand in it.  Its obvious new blood is needed. If the new HC wants to retain some of them fine but to even allow them to interview for the HC job bothers the hell out of me. Everyone on the staff has to be accountable. Unless Bowles was a total dictator and said my way or the highway which is clearly not the case why even let them interview? Its time to get new blood in here to change the way they do things. The old stuff didn't work as is evidenced by the on field product. No. If it were up too me they all would be given the gate with the exception of one or two of them. To each his own I guess but I don't see the advantage of keeping any of the ones mentioned.

Even hinting that whoever comes in will have to retain Bowles staff is making shlt up.  The rest is you just not getting why people paid dont have to be fired today

I hope Dennison is kept. The guy is a good Oline coach given sh*t to work with. He'll be able to tell the new guy, who we keep, who gets tossed out the door. This guys been watching tape all year. Or, get the info & send him and most of the lousy lineman OUT THE DOOR!

How Qvale has gotten to take a roster spot all these years is a freaking mystery, Dozier too!

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Even hinting that whoever comes in will have to retain Bowles staff is making shlt up.  The rest is you just not getting why people paid dont have to be fired today

Whatever. I don't see the why they owe these guys anything. They failed at their jobs and didn't produce. They were Bowles guys and should be shown the door. You want to keep paying them for a substandard job well thats just ridiculous. CLEAN HOUSE. Start fresh. Anything else is settling for less than mediocre. Any other profession if you don't do the job you're out. These guys didn't so they should be gone. Your reason not to fire them is to keep paying them? LOL. Thats the dumbest sh*t I've ever heard! I'm done with your nonsense. Here's a tip don't ever start a company because based on your reasoning you will go under quick. LOL. Crazy sh*t man.

41 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, I imagine the list will be fairly short, but you never know.  The other factor to consider is that there is also the unfortunate reality that the new head coach may not necessarily get all the assistants he would ideally want, if they're currently under contract elsewhere.  If that were the case, there could be the possibility of him giving some current assistants a chance until one of "his guys" shakes free.  That's far from ideal of course, and definitely not what I'm hoping for, but it's certainly happened around the league plenty of times before.

Good point. It's all about options. Right now we have the garage all set up for a garage sale. Not the best stuff but you can find a gem or two if you look closely enough. Sometimes you pull up to a garage sale, look around and drive away with nothing of interest. Sometimes you see that $1000 guitar the old man has been holding on to for his deadbeat son and is selling it for $50 beans just to get rid of it.  That's how I see it.  :) 

52 minutes ago, Pac said:

New HC should immediately make McCown an offer for QB coach.  Sam loves him and keeps around his NY BFF to ease through the transition.  Who better to help Darnold navigate through a new regime than someone who has done it 16 times.

Or, here's an idea, they could hire a good QB coach with a track record of developing young QBs - rather than hiring McCown to be Sam's wet nurse. They can always be pen pals. 

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Or, here's an idea, they could hire a good QB coach with a track record of developing young QBs - rather than hiring McCown to be Sam's wet nurse. They can always be pen pals. 

oy...  ridiculous take.

25 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Whatever. I don't see the why they owe these guys anything. They failed at their jobs and didn't produce. They were Bowles guys and should be shown the door. You want to keep paying them for a substandard job well thats just ridiculous. CLEAN HOUSE. Start fresh. Anything else is settling for less than mediocre. Any other profession if you don't do the job you're out. These guys didn't so they should be gone. Your reason not to fire them is to keep paying them? LOL. Thats the dumbest sh*t I've ever heard! I'm done with your nonsense. Here's a tip don't ever start a company because based on your reasoning you will go under quick. LOL. Crazy sh*t man.

Holy shlt, you'll argue anything. There is no reason to fire them, everyone can understand this.

Except one 

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

OL - Rick Dennison

ST - Boyer

RBs - Stump Mitchell 

TEs - Jimmie Johnson

WRs - Karl Dorrell

OLBs - Kevin Greene

McCarthy as HC

Gase as OC

Dream on. I don’t want any part of that scumbag Williams. And Gase just flopped on his face in Miami. We need a fresh start with innovative coaches, not these dirt bags. And the roster must be purged. There’s just no two ways about it.

Archived