Current / updated remaining cap (with guesses)

thshadow

1 minute ago, docdhc said:

I don't see how he can recoup that 14 million he gave up last year.  I guess you never know, he could have had a career ending injury and never got to the guaranteed money he'll get this year, but it was more likely he still would have been paid this year and had 14 more million in the bank.

Would you gamble your future earning potential of say 60mil+ for one year @14mil?  

I wouldn't.

Pitt was running him into the ground and wouldn't give him any security.  He treated them as he should have.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Would you gamble your future earning potential of say 60mil+ for one year @14mil?  

I wouldn't.

Pitt was running him into the ground and wouldn't give him any security.  He treated them as he should have.

I don't think he is getting 60 mill guaranteed but I see your point.  The gamble was that he wouldn't get a career ending injury to put that 14 mill away and then get paid whatever he gets now. I think he should have played but know one will ever know for sure.  14 million though should set you up for life anyway so I would have done it.

36 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Paradis, Bell, Mosley in that order of priority. If Jets land Paradis and Bell and that pushes us out on Mosley I wouldn't care in the least bit. 

Right. Paradis has been the number one priority since day one IMO. He's the golden nugget. If we sure up our C and LG this FA period is a success going into the draft. Conversely if we lose out on both Paradis and Morse this is a problem. 

WR was next on my list.  Grabbing Crowder is not what I expected but he seems like a nice add. Bellamy is ST and a big Meh, but if the new HC and OC wanted him, so be it. Barr is a good pickup and I see him even improving if we use him as a PR. Zimmer is good at defense so who knows? 

Again, the number one priority was OL. We got a mauler in the trade. Great!  Paradis HAS to be the priority. Blow his doors off with an offer if need be. 

Interestingly, I keep finding myself hoping we land Bell all of the sudden. I'm not sure what that's all about as I've been a vocal anti Bell poster. lol 

Mosley is gravy. Really really expensive gravy. 

20 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I don't see how he can recoup that 14 million he gave up last year.  I guess you never know, he could have had a career ending injury and never got to the guaranteed money he'll get this year, but it was more likely he still would have been paid this year and had 14 more million in the bank.

Well, he didn't get paid $14M, but he also didn't work!  :-)  

Let's say he gets, I dunno, $50m gtd.  With sitting out, he gets $50m guaranteed.  If he played, he'd either get $64M (50 + 14), or $14M if he had a bad injury.

Given the choice between $50m and (likely $64m but maybe $14m), I feel like most people would take the sure $50m.  Definitely not crazy to do.

16 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I don't think he is getting 60 mill guaranteed but I see your point.  The gamble was that he wouldn't get a career ending injury to put that 14 mill away and then get paid whatever he gets now. I think he should have played but know one will ever know for sure.  14 million though should set you up for life anyway so I would have done it.

Fair enough.  Many do.

I think he made the right move though.  Again, especially being a RB.

Some here are already saying he's too old, or has too much mileage, and he still hasn't even signed a big deal yet.

RBs can't let teams run them into the ground and then find themselves 27+ (approaching 30) trying to get a deal when teams think they're already over-the-hill.

Bumping this thread because I think it helps keep in perspective what the Jets may still be able to do. Even though we don't know the structure of the contracts given out so far, I do hope that some of the guaranteed money has been backloaded/pushed to years 2, 3 & 4 as the cap always seems to go up and we have less guys under contract then.

We had about 82 million going into FA for 2019. My guess for 2019 assuming escalating $ for these guys after this year:

Osemele - 10

Crowder - 8 (guess)

Barr - 12 (guess)

Mosley - 13 (guess)

Roberts - 2 (guess)

That would be about 45 committed out of 82. Leave 37 million for Bell/Paradis, remaining roster fill out (ex. Anderson) and rookies.

I just don't see how we can do Paradis AND Bell. without trading/releasing guys like Williams & Crowell.

If anyone knows more accurate #s for the guys we signed, please feel free to update

7 minutes ago, LinemanCT said:

Good to know 

Not quite that simple.  There is still a $20MM signing bonus that converts to dead money.  $12MM if we cut him before next season, $8MM before 2021 and $4MM for his last year.  So his salary next year would be $11MM plus the $4MM pro-rated bonus to bring the cap hit to $15MM.  But we'd only save $11MM if we cut him and incur $12MM in cap hit for the dead money.  I think he's here at least this year and next.  Hopefully he's worth every penny.

3 hours ago, thshadow said:

Updated for CJ Mosely.  I put in $14M, which is totally a random guess.  I have no idea what the 1st year hit will be.

I think that's a safe # to use assuming probably little to no guaranteed money in the 5th year in his deal. I figured Roberts for 2 million but that could be low

21 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I think that's a safe # to use assuming probably little to no guaranteed money in the 5th year in his deal. I figured Roberts for 2 million but that could be low

I put in $2M for Roberts. :shrug:

16 hours ago, Mike135 said:

I wouldn't.

You are correct. 

The presumption is fantasy that whatever $ he gets this year would have been the same after yet another 400-touch season (never mind if he finished it on IR). One of the main reasons he’ll get paid this much is he took the year off without being injured and is as healthy/rested as he’s ever been. 

People are very willing to risk other peoples’ money. It’s convenient.

17 hours ago, docdhc said:

The Steelers abused the living sh*t out of him in 2017 and didn't even make him a particularly respectable offer.  400+ touches, while simultaneously saying it is a devalued position isn't exactly playing fair.  What kind of deal was he going to get in 2019 after 820 touches in 2017/2018?  It's not just the potential for a career ending injury.  It is the wear and tear.  

17 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

How would the Jets now be doing on the minimum required spend threshold? Haven’t they been under for a couple of years? I think it is something like a three-year measuring span.

If they still end up significantly under the Cap, even after rookies, does it make sense to accelerate the extensions of anyone? Could you see them extending Leo Williams before the season?

The floor and the cap aren't calculated the same way.  The spending is "cash spending" Besides just kicking money through extensions (which Maccagnan doesn't seem to do much of) they can just give large bonuses which will be calculated in the spending.  Sort of the opposite of when the extend a guy with phantom years so that they can spread his bonus out over some extra seasons.

Here are couple of articles that describe it much better, if anybody is interested:

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/3/9/17099712/cleveland-browns-salary-cap-understanding-the-89-cash-spending-requirement

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/2/13/3980246/minimum-cash-spend-requirement-under-the-cba 

overthecap within the last couple of days reduced our cap space from 82.2M to 80.4M.  Not sure where that 1.8M went.  They list Robbie on there for $3.1M.  The also include KO (and included him when they were at 82.2) - but obviously none of the FA signings yet because they're not official.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:05 PM, thshadow said:

I just want to start a thread.  I'll put in what I think / guess - please feel free to correct me.  I'll try to keep this updated.

Starting with $92.4M before KO (as overthecap lists us at $82.2 including KO).

Kelechi Osemele: $10.2M
Anthony Barr:  $14M?
Jamison Crowder: $8M (I'm guess it's $8m gtd, then $9m gtd, then the other $11.5 for year 3 not guaranteed)  7M
Josh Bellamy: $4M-ish 1.84M
Daryl Roberts$2M (just a guess)  4.5M
CJ Mosely: $14M (complate guess, from 5-year, $85M deal worth $51M guaranteed.) 13.5M
Le'Veon Bell:  $13M (guess from 4 year / 52.5M) 8.5M
Henry Anderson: $8.5M?  (three-year is for $25.2 million ... with a max value of $33M,)

Poole: 3.5M

Catanzaro: Guess 3M

Hewitt: Guess 1.5M

McClendon: 2.5M

Harrison: 3M

Rookie Contracts: 9M

Remaining cap: $17M

Fixed so far

On 3/13/2019 at 11:17 AM, thshadow said:

overthecap within the last couple of days reduced our cap space from 82.2M to 80.4M.  Not sure where that 1.8M went.  They list Robbie on there for $3.1M.  The also include KO (and included him when they were at 82.2) - but obviously none of the FA signings yet because they're not official.

This was Bellamy contract at 1.84 against the cap this year...

Archived