Time for the Jets to trade for Clowney

Sully80

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

This.  And we can get the edge rusher on a rookie contract.  This trade idea is bad business.

but the question is if you could fill the edge rusher with a pro-bowler and get an olineman would you do it, fill two holes instead of one. People are looking at sack numbers which is true but look at the amount of disruption Clowney causes and how many tackles for loses behind the scrimmage line. I call it close and it is a good discussion.

5 hours ago, Sully80 said:

Glazer has reported teams are calling about him and Frank Clark. Time for Jets to get their EDGE guy. He's 26, has only missed 4 games in the past 3 seasons. Took him a couple years to figure it out but he's now posted back to back 9 sack seasons, in a Williams defense he could flourish and realize his untapped potential. If you put any stock into PFF, he was a top 10 EDGE defender this past year and looked great against the Jets last year. Deal makes sense with Mac's connections to Houston and being a part of the regime that drafted him #1 overall. Give the Texans #3 for Clowney and their 1st round pick, this is essentially the equivalent of trading 3 second round picks to Houston as far as chart value goes, maybe you can squeeze a third out of the Texans but I doubt it. Take #23 and address OL or WR. We get our pass rusher and still have a first rounder to toy with. Discuss.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pass rusher I would trade for is Von Miller(speculation he could be traded). Maybe if Bosa is gone and Denver wants to move up. Obviously Denver would need to add to the pot. Justin Houston would not be bad FA either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, jack48 said:

they are drafting their guy. they are in line for Bosa at the moment

Bosa doesn't get to 3.  If you can get a 26 year old Clowney by simply trading back - it's an absolute no brainer.  You don't think about, you don't take a day - you do it and walk away laughing. 

People need to understand you could potentially squeeze something extra out of the Texans because the trade back is the equivalent to 3 second round picks. Maybe you get a 2nd from Houston in this deal as well, Clowney, #23, and a 2nd for #3? The drawback is the money, but you could potentially fill 2 holes on top of EDGE rusher in the top 60 in the draft this year. Not a completely absurd proposition.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Bosa doesn't get to 3.  If you can get a 26 year old Clowney by simply trading back - it's an absolute no brainer.  You don't think about, you don't take a day - you do it and walk away laughing. 

I think there is a chance SF passes on Bosa.  they have two edge guys now for starters

33 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

With the Niners getting Ford, I'd say its 50/50 Bosa drops on our lap. If that happens, unless a QB needy team offers the moon and stars, the Jets need to jump on him.

People know the Jets are not taking a QB, so they have to trade up to 2 or 4 .  2 guarantees you a QB and SF would probably trade out for a fortune in picks.  You want to take the best available player at 2, also.  A bit of a quandary for SF.

22 hours ago, jack48 said:

I think there is a chance SF passes on Bosa.  they have two edge guys now for starters

Put the shoe on the other foot.  If your'e the Jets and just traded for Dee Ford - 

Are you still suggesting passing on Bosa?   

I can certainly be wrong but I just don't see it - unless someone falls completely in love with Haskins and blows them away with an offer - IMHO they're taking Bosa.

On 3/14/2019 at 11:37 AM, BroadwayRay said:

I'd rather take my chances with Bosa or Josh Allen than waste draft picks on Clowney, who is a bit overrated and has an uncomfortable injury history.

Exactly.  So either we give up draft capital and pay a guy $15MM per year; or draft a guy at 3 on a rookie deal who is likely to be just as productve as Clowney.  Maybe more so.  I am not giving up anything for Clowney.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Exactly.  So either we give up draft capital and pay a guy $15MM per year; or draft a guy at 3 on a rookie deal who is likely to be just as productve as Clowney.  Maybe more so.  I am not giving up anything for Clowney.

but it is not just clowney you are getting another first round pick later in the draft to get an olineman or a receiver

No he’s been a major disappointment for the #1 pick in the draft. He’s going to cost $100 plus.

We are sat at #3. We get one of the following Bosa, Allen, Williams, that your paying an average of 7 million per year for 4 years. That may be a 15 sack a year guy?

Please tell me how trading picks for an 8 sack guy is a good idea? - The Jets wont move out of 3 unless the draft pick brinks mat pulls up. 

On 3/14/2019 at 4:32 PM, LockeJET said:

No way!!  Remember, you are not just trading for him.  you also have to give him probably close to a 100 million

Does anyone outside of QB’s actually see a 100 million? I’m wiling to bet his guaranteed money won’t be anywhere close that 

3 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Does anyone outside of QB’s actually see a 100 million? I’m wiling to bet his guaranteed money won’t be anywhere close that 

I just meant 100 mil overall not the guaranteed portion. On the open market he would get a deal more than CJ Mosely received.

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

No he’s been a major disappointment for the #1 pick in the draft. He’s going to cost $100 plus.

We are sat at #3. We get one of the following Bosa, Allen, Williams, that your paying an average of 7 million per year for 4 years. That may be a 15 sack a year guy?

Please tell me how trading picks for an 8 sack guy is a good idea? - The Jets wont move out of 3 unless the draft pick brinks mat pulls up. 

In this scenario you're not losing any picks - you're swapping firsts and you're def. not paying $100mm - sure he'll need to get paid but we have plenty of money.  

He's more than just an 8 sack guy, he's very disruptive - additionally, we have NO idea if Allen or Williams are going to be any good at all.  If Allen turned out to be as good Clowney most fans would be very happy with the pick.

I'll take a 26 year old know factor and the 17th pick in the draft - rather than an unknown at 3 and nothing else.

If this trade presented itself we should jump all over it.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

In this scenario you're not losing any picks - you're swapping firsts and you're def. not paying $100mm - sure he'll need to get paid but we have plenty of money.  

He's more than just an 8 sack guy, he's very disruptive - additionally, we have NO idea if Allen or Williams are going to be any good at all.  If Allen turned out to be as good Clowney most fans would be very happy with the pick.

I'll take a 26 year old know factor and the 17th pick in the draft - rather than an unknown at 3 and nothing else.

If this trade presented itself we should jump all over it.

I'm sticking at #3

His best year was 9.5 sacks, his average 6 per year, he plays on the same D as J.J Watt, he's not getting doubled every game.

Very hard Pass!

I'd take Bosa or Allen over him every day! - Only way I'm moving is if the Giants throw their two first rounds at me.

We don't have to fill every gap in the roster this season, we aren't Winning the AFCE this year.

Defensive
  Tackles   Interceptions
Year Team G Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int TDs Yds Avg Lng
2018 Houston Texans 15 47 38 9 9.0 0 1 -- -- -- 0.0 --

2017 Houston Texans 16 59 41 18 9.5 0 2 -- -- -- 0.0 --

2016 Houston Texans 14 52 40 12 6.0 -- 2 -- -- -- 0.0 --

2015 Houston Texans 13 40 27 13 4.5 -- 6 -- -- -- 0.0 --

2014 Houston Texans 4 7 5 2 0.0 -- 0 -- -- -- 0.0 --

TOTAL 62 205 151 54 29.0 0 11 0 0 0 -- 0

2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I'm sticking at #3

His best year was 9.5 sacks, his average 6 per year, he plays on the same D as J.J Watt, he's not getting doubled every game.

Very hard Pass!

I'd take Bosa or Allen over him every day! - Only way I'm moving is if the Giants throw their two first rounds at me.

We don't have to fill every gap in the roster this season, we aren't Winning the AFCE this year.

Defensive
  Tackles   Interceptions

He's more than just a pass rusher though, he's stout against the run and typically among the top 5 in the league in tackles for loss. I still don't want to trade for him. If he was a FA then yea jump on him - not giving up a high pick for him though.

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I'm sticking at #3

Very hard Pass!

Defensive
  Tackles   Interceptions

4 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I'm sticking at #3

Very hard Pass!

Defensive
  Tackles   Interceptions

You would take #6 and #17 but not Clowney and #23?

I guess then we just disagree on the talent level of Clowney.  

Additionally,  I'm not an Allen fan at all (I think he busts) and simply don't see Bosa getting to us.

Clowney and OL or WR at 23 would be an amazing haul as far as I'm concerned.

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He's more than just a pass rusher though, he's stout against the run and typically among the top 5 in the league in tackles for loss. I still don't want to trade for him. If he was a FA then yea jump on him - not giving up a high pick for him though.

What about swapping #3 for #23 and Clowney?  I think that's what the OP presented.

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

No, I'm not moving down to 23rd from #3, with 2 Premium Pass Rushers on the board and QB hungry teams waiting to move up.

Imagine this board if we pass on Allen for Clowney and he's a 15 sack a year man, and we pay Clowney 20 Mill per for 6 sack a year?

Yes I know its sounds very Jetsy, so lets NOT do it!

P. Glad your not the GM :-)

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What about swapping #3 for #23 and Clowney?  I think that's what the OP presented.

Nope. At 3 you are getting a bigtime pass rusher on a rookie deal.  Im only moving back if someone give us a good package of picks and even then im not moving all the way at the end of first round

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They need to throw in more to make that deal. Maybe if they also give us a 2nd, a 2nd next year and 3rd or something. 23 -> 3 is huge value. I don't mind the 23 spot because there's more value for o-line there and that's what we need to focus on most IMO.

On 3/14/2019 at 12:25 PM, Sully80 said:

our 1st round pick for Clowney and their 1st, the capital is the value of moving up into the top 5 from 23

You are so overeating Clowney. Everytime I see you say Clowney to swap picks I want to vomit. Clowney plays with Watt who gets all the attention. He should easily have double digit sacks and when Watt was hurt, he had 6 or less. This is not the guy to solve our pass rush problems.  

On top of this, there is the chance we get Bosa or Allen. Everyone e thought we had no chance at Darnold. Well look at what happened. It's totally possible Bosa slides to us if Darnold can. 

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You are so overeating Clowney. Everytime I see you say Clowney to swap picks I want to vomit. Clowney plays with Watt who gets all the attention. He should easily have double digit sacks and when Watt was hurt, he had 6 or less. This is not the guy to solve our pass rush problems.  

On top of this, there is the chance we get Bosa or Allen. Everyone e thought we had no chance at Darnold. Well look at what happened. It's totally possible Bosa slides to us if Darnold can. 

You must not watch a low of Clowney.  You seem to be looking at stats and not how disruptive he his.  He's better than Watt right now.  He's getting the double teams, not the other way around.

Archived