2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

3 hours ago, Lith said:

May have jumped the gun just a bit on this post.  I never want to see Edwin Diaz trotted out in a save situation for this team again.  

I will NEVER allow myself to watch another inning when this piece of sh*t Diaz takes the mound. I knew they would bring him in and I stopped watching after the top of the 7th. I checked the score a bit later and see they blew a 7-2 lead just needing 3 outs to win. I am done with this fool. After last years embarrassing loss to the Nats, how on earth did they allow this piece of sh*t back. This GM MUST GO NOW!!!!

1 hour ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Except if your team wins .

No.  If the Yanks somehow won, it would not remotely be the same.

If one of them got a cy young or mvp, I'd look at that as a joke.   Granted, thats me, and I'm just a grump old dude.

3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

I will NEVER allow myself to watch another inning when this piece of sh*t Diaz takes the mound. I knew they would bring him in and I stopped watching after the top of the 7th. I checked the score a bit later and see they blew a 7-2 lead just needing 3 outs to win. I am done with this fool. After last years embarrassing loss to the Nats, how on earth did they allow this piece of sh*t back. This GM MUST GO NOW!!!!

They had a 7-2 lead with 2 out and one on. Hughes really was the bigger culprit here, A walk, HBP and single set up the Diaz fiasco

Drew Smith was warming before Diaz but Rojas was reluctant to bring him in as he just came back

So what happens in game two extra innings? He brings in Smith who gives up a pinch hit grand slam to Sanchez, 

Interesting thing is that this was the first ever franchise pinch grand slam in Yankees history. That is amazing !

Back to Diaz. In the team history, has there ever been a player to blow up this badly (compared to where he was before). There have been bad bad trades but Fregosi was a has been and Foy a never has been. Maybe the Baseball Gods are paying back the Mets for sending Ownby and Allen to the Cardinals

I hate subway series. 

I used to love this game, attended over 1,500 games lifetime. I am this close to giving this sport up

What scares the crap out of me is the nightmare that current ownership will let Brodie make trades today before the deadline. He has done more damage to the Mets in two years with his trades than Chipper Jones did to us in his long career. My wish continues to be that Cohen show Brodie the door the minute the ink is dry on the deal.

17 hours ago, chirorob said:

Yanks are playing like crap.   Injuries, gardner looks old, sanchez is one of the worst hitters in baseball.

They are not a good team, but for 20 minutes I had fun watching them.

Yankees have injuries up the wazoo yet are going to make the playoffs 

mets are obsessed with Van Wagner getting vindicated for the Diaz reads.  Familia should be their closer

1 hour ago, section314 said:

What scares the crap out of me is the nightmare that current ownership will let Brodie make trades today before the deadline. He has done more damage to the Mets in two years with his trades than Chipper Jones did to us in his long career. My wish continues to be that Cohen show Brodie the door the minute the ink is dry on the deal.

I would not be surprised to see the Mets deal for one of the excess Padre Catchers now. 

You know that any deal that involves bringing cash back to the org will need to carry an ok by ownership.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Just saw the news.   This one hurts, I feel like a part of my childhood died today.  As a Met fan growing up in the 60s and 70s, we had a lot of awful teams, but at least we had Tom Seaver.  He gave us crediblitiy.  He was the Mets back then.  Even after he left, I alwys felt like he was one of us.

Thanks for all of the great memories, and rest in peace, Tom Terrific.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

A true gentleman but also an Alpha competitor. Always came to ST ready to go and in great shape. He’d be getting big $ compared to all these pitchers today. 
Thanks for the memories Tom!!

• Sympathy 1

RIP Tom Seaver.

He was my idol as a kid (Joe Namath, too, but Tom #1).

As an 11 year old in Little League, I pitched a one-hit complete game against a team. The opposing coach, who would later be my all-star team coach, said that I would be "The next Tom Seaver." Well, that never happened, but it was probably the greatest compliment I ever received.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 8/30/2020 at 8:02 PM, The Crimson King said:

They had a 7-2 lead with 2 out and one on. Hughes really was the bigger culprit here, A walk, HBP and single set up the Diaz fiasco

Drew Smith was warming before Diaz but Rojas was reluctant to bring him in as he just came back

So what happens in game two extra innings? He brings in Smith who gives up a pinch hit grand slam to Sanchez, 

Interesting thing is that this was the first ever franchise pinch grand slam in Yankees history. That is amazing !

Back to Diaz. In the team history, has there ever been a player to blow up this badly (compared to where he was before). There have been bad bad trades but Fregosi was a has been and Foy a never has been. Maybe the Baseball Gods are paying back the Mets for sending Ownby and Allen to the Cardinals

I hate subway series. 

I used to love this game, attended over 1,500 games lifetime. I am this close to giving this sport up

Which makes it even more ridiculous that Fernando Tatis Jr got roasted for swinging 3-0 with the bases loaded and the team up like 7 runs.  With the watered down relief pitching that teams have these days, no lead is safe.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Which makes it even more ridiculous that Fernando Tatis Jr got roasted for swinging 3-0 with the bases loaded and the team up like 7 runs.  With the watered down relief pitching that teams have these days, no lead is safe.

Reminds me of what Whitey Herzog said in the 80's when he was managing our arch rival Cardinals. A reporter asked him why he had a guy stealing 2nd in the 7th inning of a game the Cards were leading by 6 runs. His answer, "if they tell me that they promise not to catch up, we'll stop trying to score."?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Reminds me of what Whitey Herzog said in the 80's when he was managing our arch rival Cardinals. A reporter asked him why he had a guy stealing 2nd in the 7th inning of a game the Cards were leading by 6 runs. His answer, "if they tell me that they promise not to catch up, we'll stop trying to score."?

Exactly.  A team should just forfeit if they don't want their opponent to put forth a real effort against them.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Lugo & deGrom save the series. Offense coming on and relief getting better. Hoping we can make a run. 
The 3, 4 and 5 spot in the rotation is problematic. Can Porcello and Peterson give us enough to keep us in games?
Wacha worries me  

LGFM!

Good stuff. Current Mets thoughts:

-Interesting that Gimenez is now receiving the lion share of a platoon situation at SS. While he has had some rookie moments, he may be the longer term solution at SS. Does this make Rosario a trade chip?

-You are correct on Lugo. I was not sure the arm could hold up as a starter but he has been great. Next year's rotation could be:

1. DeGrom. 2/3 Lugo, rehabbed Syndergaard. 3.  4. Free agent pitcher (Bauer, Cueto), 5 Matz 

-While Alonso has been awful, his numbers translate to a 40HR, 100RBI full season. The pitch up in the zone gives him fits.

-Ramos has been HORRID this season. Offense is putrid, defense is worse than putrid. Mets need to make a real run at Realmuto.

-The bullpen has actually been a strength this year. Through all the double headers, through all the short starts, the bullpen has been the most consistent part of this team. Shreve has been a big part. Hopefully with Lugo being lengthened now, and Peterson coming back to the rotation, the Mets do not need to abuse the bullpen as much. Rojas has done a great job juggling those innings.

-Can has been the most consistent Mets hitter this year along with Conforto. Oh, the Mets need to think about extending Conforto this off-season.

-I am embarrassed we split with the Yankees. Bad job by the Mets.

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

-Interesting that Gimenez is now receiving the lion share of a platoon situation at SS. While he has had some rookie moments, he may be the longer term solution at SS. Does this make Rosario a trade chip? I believe his time as a Met May be over  Shows flashes but never reaches his full potential  If you can get a good prospect YES

-You are correct on Lugo. I was not sure the arm could hold up as a starter but he has been great. Next year's rotation could be:

1. DeGrom. 2/3 Lugo, rehabbed Syndergaard. 3.  4. Free agent pitcher (Bauer, Cueto), 5 Matz 

-While Alonso has been awful, his numbers translate to a 40HR, 100RBI full season. The pitch up in the zone gives him fits. Still chasing pitches out of the zone

-Ramos has been HORRID this season. Offense is putrid, defense is worse than putrid. Mets need to make a real run at Realmuto. It all depends on whether Alvarez will be ready by 2022  Lot’s of skill

-The bullpen has actually been a strength this year. Through all the double headers, through all the short starts, the bullpen has been the most consistent part of this team. Shreve has been a big part. Hopefully with Lugo being lengthened now, and Peterson coming back to the rotation, the Mets do not need to abuse the bullpen as much. Rojas has done a great job juggling those innings.

-Cano has been the most consistent Mets hitter this year along with Conforto. Oh, the Mets need to think about extending Conforto this off-season. Absolutely extend Conforto! We need to keep our best players  Glad Cano is playing better DH has helped

-I am embarrassed we split with the Yankees. Bad job by the Mets. That 5 run blown save will haunt me

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Oh, and Cohen and the Wilpons have come to agreement. All that is left is the vote by the rest of the mlb owners (early November) and it is Cohen's team. Charles Gasparino of Fox Business News (who has scooped everyone throughout this process) says that the necessary votes by the mlb owners is there.

Don’t see how they cannot approve Cohen. Probably scared what he’ll do to current salary structure. Blow it up Steve ?

Just kidding. I hope they’ll build the system the right way. Develop talent like Dodgers, Braves and, I hate to say, Yanks

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

-Interesting that Gimenez is now receiving the lion share of a platoon situation at SS. While he has had some rookie moments, he may be the longer term solution at SS. Does this make Rosario a trade chip?

-While Alonso has been awful, his numbers translate to a 40HR, 100RBI full season. The pitch up in the zone gives him fits.

-Ramos has been HORRID this season. Offense is putrid, defense is worse than putrid. Mets need to make a real run at Realmuto.

-Can has been the most consistent Mets hitter this year along with Conforto. Oh, the Mets need to think about extending Conforto this off-season.

-I am embarrassed we split with the Yankees. Bad job by the Mets.

Substitute Peterson for Matz. Other than BS innings, when we are trying to save arms, Matz is done here. Good riddance, we have no room for bums who quit.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Don’t see how they cannot approve Cohen. Probably scared what he’ll do to current salary structure. Blow it up Steve ?

Just kidding. I hope they’ll build the system the right way. Develop talent like Dodgers, Braves and, I hate to say, Yanks

The Mets actually have done a very good job of drafting and developing players. Someone (Minaya?) is doing it right. I hope they properly identify why that is working so well, and make sure we retain that culture. Can it be better (like the Dodgers)? Of course. But that is not the broke part of the team. Look at the homegrown talent, just from a starters perspective:

-Alonso

-Gimenez/Rosaio

-Conforto

-Nimo

-McNeil

-Smith

-deGrom

-Lugo

-Peterson

That is just from the starting group. And they acquired JD Davis for a song. Someone is evaluating well. And, others are developing.

What has obviously held them back is the ability to pay to retain, and having to use the trade mechanism (sacrificing the farm system) in order to acquire. The only free agents they have brought in are:

-Ramos

-Mejia

-Porcello and Wacha on small deals

-And middle relievers which cycle through everyone's systems.

That they had to trade away prospects in order to acquire talent has hurt them. Hope that ends now.

They need a first rate catcher (can't wait on the kid, he is too raw), and a true CF and one front end starter, and one back end starter. Without sacrificing the farm.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Mets actually have done a very good job of drafting and developing players. Someone (Minaya?) is doing it right. I hope they properly identify why that is working so well, and make sure we retain that culture. Can it be better (like the Dodgers)? Of course. But that is not the broke part of the team. Look at the homegrown talent, just from a starters perspective:

-Alonso

-Gimenez/Rosaio

-Conforto

-Nimo

-McNeil

-Smith

-deGrom

-Lugo

-Peterson

That is just from the starting group. And they acquired JD Davis for a song. Someone is evaluating well. And, others are developing.

What has obviously held them back is the ability to pay to retain, and having to use the trade mechanism (sacrificing the farm system) in order to acquire. The only free agents they have brought in are:

-Ramos

-Mejia

-Porcello and Wacha on small deals

-And middle relievers which cycle through everyone's systems.

That they had to trade away prospects in order to acquire talent has hurt them. Hope that ends now.

They need a first rate catcher (can't wait on the kid, he is too raw), and a true CF and one front end starter, and one back end starter. Without sacrificing the farm.

I am in your camp with Realmuto....he would be great here. At least with Cohen, if he wants a guy, we won't be outbid. Supposedly,our first rd pick this year, the CF, is MLB ready defensively right now. I we were to get Realmuto, and resign Conforto, we might be able to play the kid in CF. Will be interesting to see how all the arms we drafted the last two years progress. Supposedly, we got 3-4 good ones.

• Upvote 2