Giants "Not in love" with Rosen

chrisfaceoff

From Rotoworld:

ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan reports the team is "not in love" with Josh Rosen and will only make a trade if "the price is right."

The right price would apparently be a third-round pick. At least publicly, Rosen's market has been slow developing. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported three days ago that the Redskins were "doing genuine due diligence." The reality is, even if the Cardinals are locked into Kyler Murray at No. 1 overall, they do not simply have to dump Rosen to the first available taker. Draft weekend is the soft deadline for a move.

Does it mean anything, probably not, but still interested, and maybe the stars could still align for a NY trade if his market continues to slow.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it’s more Mara family in love with Eli, and Gettleman just trying to not directly undermine his boss. Gettleman has been around, and has been part of enough successful teams to know what works. I highly doubt he believes riding it out with Eli is the best choice

1 minute ago, J_Smith said:

I think it’s more Mara family in love with Eli, and Gettleman just trying to not directly undermine his boss. Gettleman has been around, and has been part of enough successful teams to know what works. I highly doubt he believes riding it out with Eli is the best choice

Think you are spot. on. They basically said last year that Eli will determine his future with the Giants, and nobody else. Certainly not a coach or a GM.

Man, Rosen's dropping like a stone. Last year at this time, he and Darnold were 1 and 1A of the QB class. Draft finally comes and Rosen is the fourth off the board at #10. A year later, and he's not worth a second? If the Cards draft the 5'10" (on a good day) Murray, they had better be right. 

Someone is gonna have the chance to steal this kid. At some point, he's gonna start demanding a trade. Cards have no leverage without a market. 

4 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

I think Gettleman and the Maras doubledown on last year's strategy and draft players to support Manning.  They can use their draft picks for players to make this year's team better.

Worse comes to worse they can use 17 for a Daniel Jones/Drew Lock if they are there.  That is probably the smart move.  

But the Cardinals should move on from Rosen if they want Murray.  If they were similar QBs I could see it.  

There are enough teams in the league that needs QBs/successor QBs.  It is easy for the Cardinals-just auction Rosen.  Trade him to the highest bidder and move on.  Find a backup that plays similar to Murray and build around that.  Like the Wake Forest guy who played well in the AAF/was on the Jets.  

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I think Gettleman and the Maras doubledown on last year's strategy and draft players to support Manning.  They can use their draft picks for players to make this year's team better.

Worse comes to worse they can use 17 for a Daniel Jones/Drew Lock if they are there.  That is probably the smart move.  

But the Cardinals should move on from Rosen if they want Murray.  If they were similar QBs I could see it.  

There are enough teams in the league that needs QBs/successor QBs.  It is easy for the Cardinals-just auction Rosen.  Trade him to the highest bidder and move on.  Find a backup that plays similar to Murray and build around that.  Like the Wake Forest guy who played well in the AAF/was on the Jets.  

If you want to follow the strategy of getting an elite prospect and really go "all in" like Maccagnan did last year with his St. Patrick's Day power move up the board, then the Giants should really be looking to trade their early 2nd round pick this year for a 1st next year.  2020 is expected to be closer to 2018 in terms of multiple Top 5 QB prospects (Herbert, Tua, maybe Fromm, etc.).  But that's a gamble....you're never assured of getting the guy you want.  Heck, we know the Jets needed to make a big trade up AND get a little luck to snag Darnold.  The Giants will also have competition from any team that doesn't take Murray, Haskins or Lock this year.  The teams still riding aging QBs are...

• Giants (Eli)
  • Chargers (Rivers)
  • Steelers (Ben)
  • Patriots (Brady)
  • Saints (Brees)
  • Dolphins (Fitzcraptrick)
  • Broncos (Flacco)

And then add the teams that don't necessarily have old QBs but want/need upgrades:

• Redskins (Keenum)
  • Bengals (Dalton...or Daulton)

That's 9 teams!  And yes, some teams may have an heir apparent (or think they do) like the Saints with Teddy B., the Steelers with Mason Rudolph(?) but can they bank on that?

Bottom line - There will still be heavy competition for these young QB prospects.  There really only are a handful of clear blue chip prospects (Murray, Haskins, Tua, Herbert?)

No chance they get Rosen at this point - unless this is some bad negotiating as others have stated. 

I gotta feel a little sorry for Rosen though.

-1- Guy gets drafted behind Mayfield, Darnold and Allen (a lot of people on this forum wanted him with our pick)

-2- He gets thrown in when they are 0-3.

-3- His OC gets fired mid-season.

-3- His HC is fired at the end of the season.

-4- Frosh Posh new HC has said he would take the top QB prospect #1 overall (before he was even coach of the Cardinals)

-5- Giants who need a QB "not in love" with him.

I'm not a big fan of him but wow, this couldn't have turned out worse.

1 hour ago, chrisfaceoff said:

From Rotoworld:

ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan reports the team is "not in love" with Josh Rosen and will only make a trade if "the price is right."

The right price would apparently be a third-round pick. At least publicly, Rosen's market has been slow developing. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported three days ago that the Redskins were "doing genuine due diligence." The reality is, even if the Cardinals are locked into Kyler Murray at No. 1 overall, they do not simply have to dump Rosen to the first available taker. Draft weekend is the soft deadline for a move.

Does it mean anything, probably not, but still interested, and maybe the stars could still align for a NY trade if his market continues to slow.

Hes a QB.  How can you settle on a QB youre not in on solely on the pick?  If you dont like him for a 2nd or 1st why would he be the guy you want to lead your team because you got him on the cheap? Go get someone you like and think is worth a higher pick

31 minutes ago, slats said:

Man, Rosen's dropping like a stone. Last year at this time, he and Darnold were 1 and 1A of the QB class. Draft finally comes and Rosen is the fourth off the board at #10. A year later, and he's not worth a second? If the Cards draft the 5'10" (on a good day) Murray, they had better be right. 

Someone is gonna have the chance to steal this kid. At some point, he's gonna start demanding a trade. Cards have no leverage without a market. 

Agree.

Cant believe his entire body of work in college and his status coming into the draft was wiped out because of one season on a horrible team, under a horrible coaching staff.  

All because a unproven HC, who ran a gimmick offense in college to little if any success, may feel more comfortable with an undersized running QB who if Rosen was in this draft would be ranked behind.

1 hour ago, chrisfaceoff said:

From Rotoworld:

Good send him to SD. Seen enough bad juju with this team to know that if he goes to NE or NYG he'll be better than Darnold just because the universe has strong predilection for torturing the Yets and their fans

Although this smells like posturing

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Agree.

Cant believe his entire body of work in college and his status coming into the draft was wiped out because of one season on a horrible team, under a horrible coaching staff.  

All because a unproven HC, who ran a gimmick offense in college to little if any success, may feel more comfortable with an undersized running QB who if Rosen was in this draft would be ranked behind.

His sideline pouting, didn't help.

35 minutes ago, slats said:

Murray is the QB version of Kingsbury at HC,. I like that they are at least going all in instead of being half assed about it.

3 minutes ago, genot said:

His sideline pouting, didn't help.

Pouting on the sideline didnt hurt others and has nothing to do with playing football, does it. 

Look at the stupid look Eli usually has on his face.  He looks lost at best and theyre talking about extending him 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Pouting on the sideline didnt hurt others and has nothing to do with playing football, does it. 

Look at the stupid look Eli usually has on his face.  He looks lost at best and theyre talking about extending him 

Attitude has been a question mark with Rosen for a while hasn't it. I'm not anti Rosen. He was in an impossible situation last year with the Cardinals. It does raise concerns when the team that drafted you, wants to move on after only a year.

1 minute ago, genot said:

Attitude has been a question mark with Rosen for a while hasn't it. I'm not anti Rosen. He was in an impossible situation last year with the Cardinals. It does raise concerns when the team that drafted you, wants to move on after only a year.

One coach, Mora made comments about his supposed attitude, then backtracked by saying hes different.  Asks a lot of questions, wants to know the thinking behind things, every play.  

Who knows, if it effects his play, he hasnt played enough IMO to determine what the effect is.  We keep hearing about Rodgers and Brady being total asses and theyre both GOAT like QBs

Just now, Jet Nut said:

One coach, Mora made comments about his supposed attitude, then backtracked by saying hes different.  Asks a lot of questions, wants to know the thinking behind things, every play.  

Who knows, if it effects his play, he hasnt played enough IMO to determine what the effect is.  We keep hearing about Rodgers and Brady being total asses and theyre both GOAT like QBs

I agree with you. Wanting to dump a QB, a year after drafting him to be your franchise QB, is ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, genot said:

I agree with you. Wanting to dump a QB, a year after drafting him to be your franchise QB, is ridiculous.

Even more ridiculous because your newbie HC apparently thinks differently than the staff left over from a year ago when the organizational decision was to make him the teams QB.  ODD

1 minute ago, JetFreak89 said:

Let's be real...if you "aren't in love" with a QB, you aren't going to trade for him at all. You don't say "We aren't in love with him.....BUT if he could be had for a 3rd round pick that might just work...."

Exactly

57 minutes ago, slats said:

I have this weird feeling that Rosen is going to Miami. 3 of the 4 top qb's in last years draft in one division would be awesome to watch.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Even more ridiculous because your newbie HC apparently thinks differently than the staff left over from a year ago when the organizational decision was to make him the teams QB.  ODD

It's a dumpster fire over there. Really is.

2 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Let's be real...if you "aren't in love" with a QB, you aren't going to trade for him at all. You don't say "We aren't in love with him.....BUT if he could be had for a 3rd round pick that might just work...."

That may be true but how often does a 2nd year qb still on his rookie deal, with solid talent drafted in the top 10 get dealt for a 3rd the very next year?

That's why i was kinda shocked more teams didn't take a shot on Bridgewater last year and flip him for a pick. Easy money.

Archived