What if?

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

"He has kept our salary cap in good shape"  = His draft picks are so horrible that almost none of them get to or past the 5th year options so we don't have anyone to spend money on.

His draft picks haven’t gotten to the point where they would get a second contract. We have cap space because Idzik’s guys didn’t get second contracts. Enunwa was the only one. First up is Leo. We will see how that goes. Lee is gone. Then it’s Adams and Darnold.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

His draft picks haven’t gotten to the point where they would get a second contract. We have cap space because Idzik’s guys didn’t get second contracts. Enunwa was the only one. First up is Leo. We will see how that goes. Lee is gone. Then it’s Adams and Darnold.

Winters got a second contract. Dozier too, but it was a one year deal and he is now elsewhere on his 3rd contract. 

Leo wasn't first up, Devin Smith, Mauldin,Bryce Petty and a bunch of guys that didn't make the end of their 1st deals were first up.  They are all gone. Next year is his 2015 1st rounder and his entire 2nd class.  Jenkins is the only one I really want back, but Shell and the punter rate offers.    

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

What is the floor and ceiling for % yeild on drafted players?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

We've been over this.  Since 2015, Macc is 32nd in the league in drafted players who are no longer in the league.  That statistic alone proves he's the worst drafting GM in the league. 

You can't get out of this by comparing Macc's failures to other GM's failures.  There have been several GM's who have done better at drafting in that 2015-present period who have been fired already.. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The only people who care about how his draft picks “look” are smoothbrains grasping for ways to justify their opinion that a GM who’s 16 games under .500 is actually doing a good job. To answer the underlying question: if the team started winning consistently, regardless of how his picks looked, I would stop criticizing the team so much. What a dumb thread.

I already scratched,” can’t snap f**king ball directly to f**king ginger.” off my bitchlist as a show of good faith. Fingers crossed 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

He is our current gm I have seen the song and dance before where we scream from the rooftops to fire someone only to have the vacancy filled by someone of equal or lesser competence.

So....keep the guy who is terrible at his job, because we MIGHT hire someone worse?

Great thread, bleeby blub. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I don't think idzick got a fair chance in the sense that he never got to pick his own coach and did not like rex. Idzick dug his own grave though by not filling holes out of spite so rex would fail. A gm has more jobs than just drafting and Mac has been decent at most of them...Todd Bowles was bad at Every job he had so I don't get the comparison here.

No, he hasn't.  He's been terrible at every important aspect of his job.  There was also a post in another thread talking about the guaranteed money Macc has spent in free agency.  He's in the top 10 in that category, and that's a terrible thing for a team that has been 24-40 under his watch. 

• Upvote 1

Christian Hackenberg, Devin Smith, Lorenzo Mauldin, ArDarius Stewart, Bryce Petty, Chad Hansen, Jarvis Harrison, Dylan Donohue, Deon Simon.

None of those are in the league any longer.  Two 2nd rounders, two 3rd rounders, two 4th rounders, two 5th rounders and a 7th....all objectively wasted picks, with none of them being Todd Bowles' fault for "lack of development". 

Get ready to add Juston Burris (4th rounder) to that list as well.  He is buried deep on the Browns' depth chart. 

Find me a GM with that kind of horrendous track record. 

Here's a list of pivotal draft picks who could potentially save Macc's job by looking good this season.

-Nathan Shepard:  Was terrible last year, but if he shows enough this year to earn a starting job for the 2020 season, and allows us to let Leo walk without missing a beat, Good on Mac.  I have my doubts. 

-Derrick Jones (CB):  Showed some promise towards the end of last season.  If he were somehow able to show he's a starting corner, this would look like a great pick in the 6th round.  Again, not likely. 

-Leo & Darron Lee:  Both are in contract years.  As former first rounders, they'd both need to play at a pro bowl level to be worthy of their draft spot.  

-Herndon:  Improve enough to be considered a legit top 5 TE, than this pick was a home run, and one of Macc's best.  

-Blake Cashman: I gotta admit I'm intrigued by this guy.  Has the athleticism of Lee, but better instincts & toughness.  

-Polite: Earn a starting job and put up 7+ sacks this season

-Edoga: Show enough to earn one of the starting tackle spots for 2020 and beyond

-Wesco: Become a threat in the passing game.  I think it's a given that he'll be a good blocker, but that alone is not worth a 4th round pick.  

If all of the above things happen, Mac deserves to stay, but I highly doubt this will be the case.  

To answer the question that was asked, he is most likely getting a short extension at the end of this season. 

Please save your brilliant insights, that is not what I want but what I expect. 

The owners already had the disaster of hiring a GM and making him keep the head coach. 

The Johnson’s will likely tie macc and gase for 3 years. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

The only people who care about how his draft picks “look” are smoothbrains grasping for ways to justify their opinion that a GM who’s 16 games under .500 is actually doing a good job. To answer the underlying question: if the team started winning consistently, regardless of how his picks looked, I would stop criticizing the team so much. What a dumb thread.

@T0mShane was criticizing the sh*t out of Tannenbaum right through the 2010 season 

17 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

What if for all the crap people on this forum give Mac all of his draft picks not just from this year but the ones left on the roster from previous years look good this season? Does all the hatred fall back onto Bowles? Mac has been fairly decent in free agency and with trades, he has kept our salary cap in good shape each year. Would we accept him as a decent gm or would we look for other reasons to get rid of him?

Did you say he did a good job with our cap?

How much dead money in cap space did we have the previous 2 seasons?   His 3 largest contracts given out, Mo, Revis, and Tru have all been disasters.  He has done a good job with some smaller trades, I 100% agree with that.   

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Christian Hackenberg, Devin Smith, Lorenzo Mauldin, ArDarius Stewart, Bryce Petty, Chad Hansen, Jarvis Harrison, Dylan Donohue, Deon Simon.

None of those are in the league any longer.  Two 2nd rounders, two 3rd rounders, two 4th rounders, two 5th rounders and a 7th....all objectively wasted picks, with none of them being Todd Bowles' fault for "lack of development". 

Get ready to add Juston Burris (4th rounder) to that list as well.  He is buried deep on the Browns' depth chart. 

Find me a GM with that kind of horrendous track record. 

Your point stands, but like the Idzik 12, most of these guys aren't actually out of the league.  The ones that are may relate more to off-field issues.  Donahue was/is facing a 14 game suspension for the DUI cases.  Stewart was on and off practice squads last season and injured. He had a 2 game suspension for PEDs and right around the draft he was arrested on a gun charge.  He isn't likely to be back. Chad Hansen was actually on practice squads all year, but he was just cut last week by the Broncos.  I guess they prefer their 6th rounder (Juwann Winfree) and UDFA class.  They added Trinity Benson and this kid from Florida Tech Romell Guerreri that looks like a rocket against the low-level competition.  Burris is a rostered player, even if he has never been a contributor. 

17 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Ok...and?

Counting the playoffs, we were like 10 games over .500 that span and the dude wouldn't stop complaining. Don't tell me he is going to stop complaining about Maccagnan.  Also, I didn't really shut up about fat boy Parcells roster management either and that team was also winning, but it was pre-internet, so you didn't have to hear me until now. 

17 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

What if for all the crap people on this forum give Mac all of his draft picks not just from this year but the ones left on the roster from previous years look good this season? Does all the hatred fall back onto Bowles? Mac has been fairly decent in free agency and with trades, he has kept our salary cap in good shape each year. Would we accept him as a decent gm or would we look for other reasons to get rid of him?

No, because most of his draft picks are out of the leagues already. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Counting the playoffs, we were like 10 games over .500 that span and the dude wouldn't stop complaining. Don't tell me he is going to stop complaining about Maccagnan.  Also, I didn't really shut up about fat boy Parcells roster management either and that team was also winning, but it was pre-internet, so you didn't have to hear me until now. 

And he was proven correct.  It was poor roster management for the long haul. 

Until the Jets get smart with this stuff there will be people complaining, and for good reason.  A winning season or 2 means nothing if it doesn't lead to a division title or a Super Bowl, followed by years of failure.  We got 2 Wild Cards and a few nice playoff wins, but Tannenbaum's poor drafting and roster management helped directly lead to the terrible play the 2 seasons after and the tear down project Idzik had to undertake upon his arrival. 

Build a perennial contender or GTFO.  This poor drafting followed by heavy spending cycle has happened here before and its happening again now. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And he was proven correct.  It was poor roster management for the long haul. 

Until the Jets get smart with this stuff there will be people complaining, and for good reason.  A winning season or 2 means nothing if it doesn't lead to a division title or a Super Bowl, followed by years of failure.  We got 2 Wild Cards and a few nice playoff wins, but Tannenbaum's poor drafting and roster management helped directly lead to the terrible play the 2 seasons after and the tear down project Idzik had to undertake upon his arrival. 

Build a perennial contender or GTFO.  This poor drafting followed by heavy spending cycle has happened here before and its happening again now. 

@dbatesman said if the team started winning he would stop criticizing them so much. I just pointed out that Shane still would.  Apparently you would too.  According to you, they would require division titles or super bowls.  FWIW, division titles are way less meaningful than AFC Champtionship game appearances, and those are quite meaningless. 

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

@dbatesman said if the team started winning he would stop criticizing them so much. I just pointed out that Shane still would.  Apparently you would too.  According to you, they would require division titles or super bowls.  FWIW, division titles are way less meaningful than AFC Champtionship game appearances, and those are quite meaningless. 

Contrary to popular belief, Tom and I are actually completely separate people, not a single meta-consciousness that manifests in various human forms

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Division titles matter because you get home playoff games. 

And what's wrong with anything you're saying?  Are we supposed to shut up when the team has a modicum of temporary, unsustainable success?  I'm pretty sure Shane is talking about the winning that I'm talking about:  Becoming a perennial contender.  Not just spending a bunch of money in free agency to go 9-7.  

39 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

My argument regarding Tannenbaum was that he was a cockroach accountant who added nothing as a GM other than seeking back pages with ill-advised free agent signings. His greatest asset was in knowing he sucked and letting his coaches tell him whom to acquire. His failing was that he was a spineless worm who had no talent or vision for roster building, which was 100% the case, as well evidenced by the great bulk of his career. Odd case to make that I was wrong to criticize a GM who was clearly terrible, even through one aberrational stretch of relative success. As it relates to Maccagnan, he’s got a million miles to go before he even gets to the level of “success” Tannenbaum had here, so I haven’t really given much thought as to how I’d feel if the team became passable under his idiotic stewardship. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

My argument regarding Tannenbaum was that he was a cockroach accountant who added nothing as a GM other than seek back pages with ill-advised free agent signings. His greatest asset was in knowing he sucked and letting his coaches tell him whom to acquire. His failing was that he was a spineless worm who had no talent or vision for roster building, which was 100% the case, as well evidence by the great bulk of his career. Odd case to make that I was wrong to criticize a GM who was clearly terrible, even through one aberrational stretch of relative success. As it relates to Maccagnan, he’s got a million miles to go before he even gets to the level of “success” Tannenbaum had here, so I haven’t really given much thought as to how I’d feel if the team became passable under his idiotic stewardship. 

I didn't say you were wrong. I said win, lose or draw you would not shut up about it. 

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Division titles matter because you get home playoff games. 

And what's wrong with anything you're saying?  Are we supposed to shut up when the team has a modicum of temporary, unsustainable success?  I'm pretty sure Shane is talking about the winning that I'm talking about:  Becoming a perennial contender.  Not just spending a bunch of money in free agency to go 9-7.  

What is more important, home playoff games or winning playoff games? 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I didn't say you were wrong. I said win, lose or draw you would not shut up about it. 

This from the person who likes to relitigate how terrible the Parcells hire actually was for this franchise back in ‘97.

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Smoothbrains real life lols.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Winning playoff games.  But division titles are a sign of sustainable success. 

Just because the Jets entire offensive line and the star 27 year-old running back won't be here in two years doesn't mean that Maccagnan isn't building sustainable success. It just means there's more money in the kitty to resign the strong safety to CB1 money and, hopefully, have enough left over to pay the 29 year old ILB the $17.5 million he's due and squeeze in Sam Darnold's new $30 mil plus per deal. But don't worry about any of that if the Jets hit .500 this year because it's not fair to criticize the overall body of work if it results in a single, fleeting moment of relative competence.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This from the person who likes to relitigate how terrible the Parcells hire actually was for this franchise back in ‘97.

So?  @dbatesman said he would shut up.  I didn't say I would.  Besides. I said that already...

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

and you replied.