All The Newspaper Weasels Who Unfairly Crucified Christopher Johnson Are Walking Back Their Positions - Let’s Not Let Them Get Away With It

SAR I

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

They got one wrong. 

SAR I

Well if that's your explanation then are alarm bells going off for you on Gase?  I mean, it's pretty awful to draft a 3rd rounder who was so bad that he was cut before the regular season.  And he passed on Winovich to get this guy.  So are you concerned that Gase is not the genius you think he is?

Mind you, I think your theory is absurd.  It seems obvious to me that Macc ran the draft (and the new regime cutting a 3rd rounder is a strong indicator of that) but you continue to argue that Gase/Johnson/Gregg Williams ran the draft.  For the record, I don't think that you even believe your own cockamamie theory.

But if you do actually believe it then maybe you want to apologize to the media?  Wasting a 3rd rounder when we had no 2nd rounder is pretty bad after all, as I'm sure you'd agree.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Well if that's your explanation then are alarm bells going off for you on Gase?  I mean, it's pretty awful to draft a 3rd rounder who was so bad that he was cut before the regular season.  And he passed on Winovich to get this guy.  So are you concerned that Gase is not the genius you think he is?

Mind you, I think your theory is absurd.  It seems obvious to me that Macc ran the draft (and the new regime cutting a 3rd rounder is a strong indicator of that) but you continue to argue that Gase/Johnson/Gregg Williams ran the draft.  For the record, I don't think that you even believe your own cockamamie theory.

But if you do actually believe it then maybe you want to apologize to the media?  Wasting a 3rd rounder when we had no 2nd rounder is pretty bad after all, as I'm sure you'd agree.

It's a miss on a 3rd rounder, seems to be a character issue which should put the blame on our investigative team, happens all the time, hardly a big deal.

SAR I

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's a miss on a 3rd rounder, seems to be a character issue which should put the blame on our investigative team, happens all the time, hardly a big deal.

SAR I

So they did such a bad job evaluating this player's character that they changed their minds between draft day and prior to the regular season?  And this was with a very high character player (Winovich) still on the board and we also didn't have a 2nd rounder.

And you say "hardly a big deal"?  

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So they did such a bad job evaluating this player's character that they changed their minds between draft day and prior to the regular season?  And this was with a very high character player (Winovich) still on the board and we also didn't have a 2nd rounder.

And you say "hardly a big deal"?  

Yes.  That's an adequate summary.  Sometimes players interview well.  Sometimes players actually don't want to play football after a decade living in the gym.  Sometimes players are distracted by personal issues.

SAR I

I think Gase is trying to be nice. 

I don’t think Gase or GWwere on board selecting Polite.   For one, he did not appear to be a high character guy and appeared to be the type of player Gase had trouble with in Miami.  Gase is not going to do well the players who are rougher around the edges.  He is more like Mangini.  GW has his own demons, but I don’t think Polite was his type of player either-and GW would rather run a 4-3, and a 240 pound EDGE guy was probably not his style.  Given the way the Jets look now, I actually don’t know whether Winovich was the right pick either.   

IMO the Polite pick was on Mac (fired) and CJ for allowing Mac to have some much authority when he was already halfway out the door.  CJ should have been approving the picks based on everyone’s input.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Yes.  That's an adequate summary.  Sometimes players interview well.  Sometimes players actually don't want to play football after a decade living in the gym.  Sometimes players are distracted by personal issues.

SAR I

Sometimes GMs aren't good at football decisions and should be fired before an owner hands them 100 million and another draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Sometimes GMs aren't good at football decisions and should be fired before an owner hands them 100 million and another draft.

Today's announcement and the firing of Neil Glat supports my position entirely.  This is a classic CEO housecleaning.

If you look at the dramatic overhaul from last season, every decision-maker has been fired this year.  HC, Coordinators, GM, President, I'm sure there are more heads about to roll at the VP level too.  It is 100% clear that Christopher Johnson wanted a complete regime change, all the Woody loyalists gone, brand new crew of leaders who will follow his lead and his style now in.

So to think that he would have allowed a GM he 100% knew he was going to fire to make the draft and FA decisions for this season is crazy.  Gase, Gregg, and Chris called the shots.  They were in the building since mid-January, they had 3 months to sit in meetings and listen to all the scouting reports and all the free agent analysis and come to a conclusion on what they wanted to do.  Maccagnan surely knew he was out either being told directly or through actions he was seeing.  He was kept on as a figurehead only, a puppet on a string, and as soon as the hard labor of drafting, paperwork, free agency, contracts were over and it was GM vacationland <poof> he was gone.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Today's announcement and the firing of Neil Glat supports my position entirely.  This is a classic CEO housecleaning.

If you look at the dramatic overhaul from last season, every decision-maker has been fired this year.  HC, Coordinators, GM, President, I'm sure there are more heads about to roll at the VP level too.  It is 100% clear that Christopher Johnson wanted a complete regime change, all the Woody loyalists gone, brand new crew of leaders who will follow his lead and his style now in.

So to think that he would have allowed a GM he 100% knew he was going to fire to make the draft and FA decisions for this season is crazy.  Gase, Gregg, and Chris called the shots.  They were in the building since mid-January, they had 3 months to sit in meetings and listen to all the scouting reports and all the free agent analysis and come to a conclusion on what they wanted to do.  Maccagnan surely knew he was out either being told directly or through actions he was seeing.  He was kept on as a figurehead only, a puppet on a string, and as soon as the hard labor of drafting, paperwork, free agency, contracts were over and it was GM vacationland <poof> he was gone.

SAR I

I get that you support everything, but firing the team President the week before the opener isn't a great thing. You want to clean house? Be a man and clean house.  They should have fired Glat with Macc, they already had his replacement lined up.

I love the direction of the team but Johnson is showing that his is dragging his feet on decisions. Don't give Macc a 100 million when you know he has to be fired. Don't flip the organization upside down right before the opener if you want to get rid of Glat.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

So to think that he would have allowed a GM he 100% knew he was going to fire to make the draft and FA decisions for this season is crazy.  Gase, Gregg, and Chris called the shots.  They were in the building since mid-January, they had 3 months to sit in meetings and listen to all the scouting reports and all the free agent analysis and come to a conclusion on what they wanted to do.  Maccagnan surely knew he was out either being told directly or through actions he was seeing.  He was kept on as a figurehead only, a puppet on a string, and as soon as the hard labor of drafting, paperwork, free agency, contracts were over <poof> he was gone.

SAR I

I actually don’t agree with this.  The truth will come out in time.  I think CJ’s realization that the regime was rotten to the core was more of a slow burn.   He gave both Bowles and Mac extensions in early 2018.  The HC debacle in 2018 necessitated a firing of Bowles (and I don’t think he head coaches again, unless Arians hands him the job at TB, and that will not last long).   

Mac was heavily involved in selecting Gase.   There is no evidence to indicate that Mac did not run the draft-in fact Gase went into hiding during the draft.  Mac was the spokesperson on the draft.   Watching the draft dysfunction basically caused CJ to realize that the regime needed a complete clean out.  Then he fired Mac and kept going.

Good for CJ, and I like the direction things are headed.  But to think he is completely innocent would be misleading, as he is not the new owner-he has always been an owner.  He owns the sins of his brother Woody, but unlike Woody he appears to have the common sense to think objectively and clearly and realize when something is wrong.  The worst thing that could happen to the Jets at this point would be to allow Woody to make decisions after he finishes up his work damaging the UK.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Sounds to me like Polite just hung out with the wrong crowd. 

A35DDDF6-FA89-4B9F-BE7F-DB80345F5A23.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I get that you support everything, but firing the team President the week before the opener isn't a great thing. You want to clean house? Be a man and clean house.  They should have fired Glat with Macc, they already had his replacement lined up.

I love the direction of the team but Johnson is showing that his is dragging his feet on decisions. Don't give Macc a 100 million when you know he has to be fired. Don't flip the organization upside down right before the opener if you want to get rid of Glat.

This is true but it might not be feet dragging as much as getting a consensus from his mom and older brother. On decisions of that size  I find it hard to believe they aren’t Skyping one another at night. 

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

A team President is most busy during the offseason.  That's when budgets are made, that's when the toilet paper gets ordered, that's when the hotel reservations are made.  Just like letting Maccagnan go right after free agency was perfect timing so too is getting a President swapped at the end of the preseason.  And Glat's sticking around, he's on the payroll and helping with the transition.  Hymie has been with the team 20 years and had a seat at the table for the last 5, so this isn't going to be challenging.

You may see this as Christopher Johnson dragging his feet and that certainly is your prerogative.  I see this as a CEO perfectly timing the dismissal of executives at the very moment that they are least needed and the workflow of their staffs would be the least disrupted.

SAR I

3 hours ago, varjet said:

There is no evidence to indicate that Mac did not run the draft-in fact Gase went into hiding during the draft.  Mac was the spokesperson on the draft.   Watching the draft dysfunction basically caused CJ to realize that the regime needed a complete clean out.  Then he fired Mac and kept going.

Good for CJ, and I like the direction things are headed.  But to think he is completely innocent would be misleading, as he is not the new owner-he has always been an owner.  He owns the sins of his brother Woody, but unlike Woody he appears to have the common sense to think objectively and clearly and realize when something is wrong.  The worst thing that could happen to the Jets at this point would be to allow Woody to make decisions after he finishes up his work damaging the UK.  

Evidence?  How about common sense?

Do you really think that Adam Gase was announced as the head coach on January 11 and didn't have any impact on free agency on March 13 or the draft on April 25?  Seriously?  CJ Mosely, Le'Veon Bell, and Kelechi Osemele.  The #3 pick in the NFL draft.  And guys like Gase and Gregg just let Maccagnan have at it?  "Not my job, you do it".  Really?

Gase is on his second head coaching job, this is it, his last chance.  And you think that a guy like that, so intense, so consumed with football, he just sat in the lounge and played Madden while Mike Maccagnan did whatever he wanted with the roster that he was going to have to coach?

This is just crazy thinking.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Evidence?  How about common sense?

Do you really think that Adam Gase was announced as the head coach on January 11 and didn't have any impact on free agency on March 13 or the draft on April 25?  Seriously?  CJ Mosely, Le'Veon Bell, and Kelechi Osemele.  The #3 pick in the NFL draft.  And guys like Gase and Gregg just let Maccagnan have at it?  "Not my job, you do it".  Really?

Gase is on his second head coaching job, this is it, his last chance.  And you think that a guy like that, so intense, so consumed with football, he just sat in the lounge and played Madden while Mike Maccagnan did whatever he wanted with the roster that he was going to have to coach?

This is just crazy thinking.

SAR I

I think Gase purposely let Mac run the draft by himself to basically show CJ how bad the FO really is.  In the beginning, I think Gase had every intention on working with Mac but when Mac compartmentalized everything and didn't allow Gase to speak his mind in the meetings leading up to the draft, Gase basically sat back and let the draft happen without any input.

I think CJ's intention was going to try to have Gase and Mac work together but when the philosophies clashed and Gase got in CJ's ear and said this is not going to work out and CJ had to decide one way or another... 

I think this is more reasonable as to why everything happened the way it did. I do not think Gase had any input on the draft picks as he was fed up after FA and not being able to give insight before the draft. I do think that he had input on FAs but Mac wouldn't let him talk on the financial side and that is why you got the leaks of Gase didn't want the overpaid players but got some of the players that Gase wanted on the team.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, SAR I said:

A team President is most busy during the offseason.  That's when budgets are made, that's when the toilet paper gets ordered, that's when the hotel reservations are made.  Just like letting Maccagnan go right after free agency was perfect timing so too is getting a President swapped at the end of the preseason.  And Glat's sticking around, he's on the payroll and helping with the transition.  Hymie has been with the team 20 years and had a seat at the table for the last 5, so this isn't going to be challenging.

You may see this as Christopher Johnson dragging his feet and that certainly is your prerogative.  I see this as a CEO perfectly timing the dismissal of executives at the very moment that they are least needed and the workflow of their staffs would be the least disrupted.

SAR I

This isn't perfect timing. You agree with everything so it isn't worth debating it. But it isn't perfect timing.

25 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This isn't perfect timing. You agree with everything so it isn't worth debating it. But it isn't perfect timing.

I don't agree with everything.  The Jets have an awful in-game media experience.  The announcer is bad, the volume is too loud, and I think the 50-50 raffle is bush league.  They have bad endzone art.  The noodle salad in the VIP tent has too many olives.

SAR I

40 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I think Gase purposely let Mac run the draft by himself to basically show CJ how bad the FO really is.  In the beginning, I think Gase had every intention on working with Mac but when Mac compartmentalized everything and didn't allow Gase to speak his mind in the meetings leading up to the draft, Gase basically sat back and let the draft happen without any input.

I think CJ's intention was going to try to have Gase and Mac work together but when the philosophies clashed and Gase got in CJ's ear and said this is not going to work out and CJ had to decide one way or another... 

I think this is more reasonable as to why everything happened the way it did. I do not think Gase had any input on the draft picks as he was fed up after FA and not being able to give insight before the draft. I do think that he had input on FAs but Mac wouldn't let him talk on the financial side and that is why you got the leaks of Gase didn't want the overpaid players but got some of the players that Gase wanted on the team.

Gase and Williams wouldn't put up with that.  These aren't two rookies learning their way.  These are experienced veterans with alpha male personalities, no way Maccagnan was given free reign to pick players with those two powerhouses sitting there watching.

And this goes back to last year.  I don't think Maccagnan traded up with the Colts nor do I think he decided on Darnold.  That was CJ all the way.

SAR I

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase and Williams wouldn't put up with that.  These aren't two rookies learning their way.  These are experienced veterans with alpha male personalities, no way Maccagnan was given free reign to pick players with those two powerhouses sitting there watching.

And this goes back to last year.  I don't think Maccagnan traded up with the Colts nor do I think he decided on Darnold.  That was CJ all the way.

SAR I

Maybe, but knowing how much character and locker room attitude matters to Gase and Williams (See Lee, Leggett, and numerous others in Miami), I don't think he would have drafted either Polite or Edoga seen these were both seen as very poor character kids. I think these are 100% on Mac and speaks to the reports that Mac didn't allow Gase to share his opinion in the pre-draft meetings prior to the draft.

From the reports that came out after Mac was fired it seems like Mac wanted to run a tight ship and everyone else was on a need-to-know basis. Whether these are hit pieces on Mac or not... We will never really know, but Polite and Edoga especially seem like 2 players Gase would have absolutely refused.  I feel as though Gase kind of confirmed it in his presser on Monday when he couldn't hold in the smirk after being asked if there was division in the War Room over whether Polite should be drafted or not.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I don't agree with everything.  The Jets have an awful in-game media experience.  The announcer is bad, the volume is too loud, and I think the 50-50 raffle is bush league.  They have bad endzone art.  The noodle salad in the VIP tent has too many olives.

SAR I

Alright, if you are going to blast the olives that is proof you can be critical. So I will continue to argue with you lol.

About the in game media experience. The app has an order food option, it wasn't available from my section. So damn cruel.

• Haha 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

And who hired (or chose not to fire) the investigative team?

If you're looking for me to blame Gase and Gregg for picking Polite, I do.  Bad pick.  They whiffed.  I hope the rest of the draft and free agency period turns out better.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Did CJ also tell Macc to draft Hackenberg?