Anthony Becht on Trevon Wesco and Leveon Bell

They start with his opinion on Bell, but he can't stay away from the TE subject very long.  He has some positive things to say about him which is pretty cool to hear.  "Junkyard Dog!" 

Drips and drops of football these days. :) 

• Upvote 4

Anthony Becht was not a great player (not worth his draft slot according to some here) and he was a total dick with regards to the Ik Enempkali Geno situation.

But he is a great color/commentator and can really analyze and simply explain plays/coverages/reads. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

17 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Anthony Becht was not a great player (not worth his draft slot according to some here) and he was a total dick with regards to the Ik Enempkali Geno situation.

But he is a great color/commentator and can really analyze and simply explain plays/coverages/reads. 

I dont recall his take on IK vs Geno, what was it?

I do remember being taken aback with them drafting Kyle Brady 2.0 in the first round....Good blocker, decent as a short option outlet, but not a first round level talent. 

11 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I do remember being taken aback with them drafting Kyle Brady 2.0 in the first round....Good blocker, decent as a short option outlet, but not a first round level talent. 

Anthony Frying Pan Hands Blechhhht.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So Becht runs (or used to run) multiple football camps with 1000s of kids running through them every summer. He has dozens of NFL and college players (ex and current) that come and teach or just show up as celebrities and he pays them. It’s a professional organization. He is constantly having guys cancel but he always has backups to fill out what was promised the kids and their parents. And these are real HS football players —full gear—looking for real training and maybe get noticed or recruited. Costs a lot to attend. It’s a money maker for Becht. 

IK’s “camp” is a couple of day charity thing he does for his hometown. Underprivileged kids, youngsters maybe 8-14 years old. No equipment, just messing around, only charges them what they can afford. He doesn’t make money off of it, he can’t afford to pay players to come as celebrity draws. He asks for volunteers and guys show up. 

He invited Geno and Geno said sure but you need to pay for my plane ticket and my ride from the airport to the camp. 

Geno was his only big draw that year. The starting QB for the New York Jets. The guy the kids were coming to see. 

IK bought the plane ticket and booked a limo. Cost him $600. 

Geno never showed up. Never even called ahead of time, the limo driver was literally at the airport as the Geno-less plane landed. Finally IK got a hold of Geno and Geno said some bull crap about his brother (turns out it was a friend I think) that had died in a motorcycle accident (turned out he didn’t die) so he couldn’t make it. If I recall, this “accident” was a few days before but Geno just punked out on the camp and used it as an excuse not to show.

IK was terribly embarrassed, the kids are literally waiting on the field for the one celebrity QB ( he had some local HS and a few small time college players there) and IK had to tell them the one big draw wasn’t coming. 

Again, this is a charity event for his hometown and not a moneymaker, he typically looses money on it. 

He was pissed and told Geno and then said he wanted his $600 back. 

The rest of the story you know (he did not cold cock Geno- which is a surprise punch from out of left field- this was a face to face confrontation and after Geno taunted IK, IK smashed him in the jaw). 

Well Becht jumped all over IK saying these things happen, football players cancel on camps all the time, he always has backups blahblahblah because he runs a professionally organized football camp. He can move celebs from one camp to another if there are cancellations. 

Not a charity “camp” for underprivileged kids with no ability to get last minute substitute celebs. 

Becht said IK was totally in the wrong based upon HIS camps and not the type of camp IK held. And he trashed the guy when the guy he should have trashed was that punk Geno. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

So Becht runs (or used to run) multiple football camps with 1000s of kids running through them every summer. He has dozens of NFL and college players (ex and current) that come and teach or just show up as celebrities and he pays them. It’s a professional organization. He is constantly having guys cancel but he always has backups to fill out what was promised the kids and their parents. And these are real HS football players —full gear—looking for real training and maybe get noticed or recruited. Costs a lot to attend. It’s a money maker for Becht. 

IK’s “camp” is a couple of day charity thing he does for his hometown. Underprivileged kids, youngsters maybe 8-14 years old. No equipment, just messing around, only charges them what they can afford. He doesn’t make money off of it, he can’t afford to pay players to come as celebrity draws. He asks for volunteers and guys show up. 

He invited Geno and Geno said sure but you need to pay for my plane ticket and my ride from the airport to the camp. 

Geno was his only big draw that year. The starting QB for the New York Jets. The guy the kids were coming to see. 

Geno never showed up. Never even called ahead of time, the limo driver was literally at the airport as the Geno-less plane landed. Finally IK got a hold of Geno and Geno said some bull crap about his brother (turns out it was a friend I think) that had died in a motorcycle accident (turned out he didn’t die) so he couldn’t make it. If I recall, this “accident” was a few days before but Geno just punked out on the camp and used it as an excuse not to show.

IK was terribly embarrassed, the kids are literally waiting on the field for the one celebrity QB ( he had some local HS and a few small time college players there) and IK had to tell them the one big draw wasn’t coming. 

Again, this is a charity event for his hometown and not a moneymaker, he typically looses money on it. 

The rest of the story you know (he did not cold cock Geno- which is a surprise punch from out of left field- this was a face to face confrontation and after Geno taunted IK, IK smashed him in the jaw). 

Well Becht jumped all over IK saying these things happen, football players cancel on camps all the time, he always has backups blahblahblah because he runs a professionally organized football camp. He can move celebs from one camp to another if there are cancellations. 

Not a charity “camp” for underprivileged kids with no ability to get last minute substitute celebs. 

Becht said IK was totally in the wrong based upon HIS camps and not the type of camp IK held. And he trashed the guy when the guy he should have trashed was that punk Geno. 

And further perspective: Becht knows Geno as they were both West Virginia Mountaineers. At best, Becht was giving Geno the benefit of the doubt, and at worst, sticking up for a guy when he probably shouldn't have. regardless, it's not surprising to see one alum backing another.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So, Becht butted into something he had no clue about, ran his mouth, and ducked for cover. Pretty standard for "journalism " today. 

And yeah, Geno had it coming from everything I heard about the incident.

We will always owe a small debt to One Punch IK

Yup. People love to run their mouth when they don’t know the situation. 

But again, Becht is a REALLY good commentator. One of the best IMHO. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

agreed 100%. Geno was/is a POS, dumb a$$ from way back. The guy must have a brain the size of a pea. Another great Idzik pick for the ages. I'm glad IK jacked him, most anyone would have done the same.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, GreenFish said:

If Wesco can become a Nick Boyle or a top blocking TE that catches about 25 balls a year. That would be a really good draft pick. Looking forward to seeing the trio of Herndon, Brown and Wesco. 

You want him to be the leading receiver?

But seriously he’s not getting close to that. He’ll be the 2nd or 3rd TE and they have Bell, Crowder and Montgomery. Those guys are taking catches away from the TEs. 

20 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

This story is years old, but this is the first time, Ive been explained the entire version.  Thanks

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

You want him to be the leading receiver?

But seriously he’s not getting close to that. He’ll be the 2nd or 3rd TE and they have Bell, Crowder and Montgomery. Those guys are taking catches away from the TEs. 

I think we'll see a lot of Wesco in the preseason, and maybe get a better idea then how much they'll be using him in the passing game. I expect him to be essentially be a sixth OL lined up wherever they need him to be, catching the occasional dump off. Maybe getting his number called a couple times a year if he's impressing the coaches. 

But I don't see Herndon's production being taken away by guys like Crowder or, especially, Montgomery. Herdon caught 39 passes last year, with 27 coming in the last half of the season. He got better as the year went on, and he's going to be a big part of the offense this season. Even with the two-game suspension, I expect him to be top ten at the position in catches in the 50-60 catch range. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

If IK didn't  break Geno's jaw, Fitz never starts for the Jets. IK was team MVP that year. 

If Fitz doesn't start we end up with a top 3 pick.  Now I would never wanted Jared Goff and now wouldn't want Wentz, but Zeke or Jalen Ramsey would have been way better than 10-6 and no playoffs and then being held hostage by the most average QB to ever play in the NFL.  We ended up with Darron Lee.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I think we'll see a lot of Wesco in the preseason, and maybe get a better idea then how much they'll be using him in the passing game. I expect him to be essentially be a sixth OL lined up wherever they need him to be, catching the occasional dump off. Maybe getting his number called a couple times a year if he's impressing the coaches. 

But I don't see Herndon's production being taken away by guys like Crowder or, especially, Montgomery. Herdon caught 39 passes last year, with 27 coming in the last half of the season. He got better as the year went on, and he's going to be a big part of the offense this season. Even with the two-game suspension, I expect him to be top ten at the position in catches in the 50-60 catch range. 

Wesco is probably the 3rd ranked TE and as you said a receiving OL. I’m thinking shortage catches will be in this range.

Bell 75 - 100 catches

Crowder - 50 - 75 catches

Henderson 50 - 75 catches 

Montgomery 20 - 40 catches 

then the rest 

Wesco 10 - 15 catches

If Darnold up his completions to 325/375 and Anderson gets 75 - 100 catches that doesn’t leave much for a 2nd/3rd string blocking TE

1 hour ago, DJF71 said:

If Fitz doesn't start we end up with a top 3 pick.  Now I would never wanted Jared Goff and now wouldn't want Wentz, but Zeke or Jalen Ramsey would have been way better than 10-6 and no playoffs and then being held hostage by the most average QB to ever play in the NFL.  We ended up with Darron Lee.

Getting ome of the players you mentioned would have been great but I enjoyed the year rooting for the Jets to get into the playoffs. Yes, it turned out to be a turd but so many years I lose interest by the tenth game of the season. Rooting for them all year in meaningful games was a nice change. Also I have one of my best memories  from the Jets that season. The overtime win against the Pat's. I was at the game sitting with a bunch of Pat fans. I wouldn't  trade seeing the shocked look on their faces when Decker caught that TD for anything. 

• Upvote 1