We are still going to the playoffs

JohnnyLV

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Except when the exceptions are the rule.

Every year in the AFC, 4 of the 6 teams didn't make it from the year before and 1 of those 6 teams got off to an awful start.

So this year it's us.  Why not?  Which of these teams is better than the Jets when we last saw them as a whole against the Falcons or, if you like, even the Bills:

2-0 Bills
1-1 Chargers
1-1 Browns
1-1 Titans
1-1 Colts
0-2 Steelers

That's the landscape.  We are 1 game out of the wildcard even in our current pathetic state.  We need to be Top 2 on that list.  We already had the Bills beat.  Only the Chargers have a franchise quarterback.  The Browns are about to lose 4 straight.  The Colts lost Luck.  The Steelers lost Ben. 

SAR I

Accepting your statistics as true, how is 1 out of 6 not an exception?

10 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

1-5 or 0-6.

Win 7 out of last 10.

Finish 7-9 or 8-8.

No playoffs.

And if just somebody, anybody... could acknowledge how right I was about Le'V Bell... that would be nice.

Bell has been awesome in the first two weeks, better than advertised. The OL has given him little to work with and he's done everything he can.

The only thing I worry about is he looked REALLY beat up after the CLE game, he's been getting hit in the backfield damn near every time he touches the ball. They've gotta do something to protect him since he's essentially our #1RB and #1 pass catcher

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Prince Abubu will bet you. Send me 50k and he will send you 1MM to hold in good faith until the outcome is completed.

sea.jpg

Let me introduce Prince Abubu to the 2018 Seattle Seahawks, opened 0-2, were sitting at an awful 4-5 in November. 

Finished 10-6 and made the playoffs.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Let me introduce Prince Abubu to the 2018 Seattle Seahawks, opened 0-2, were sitting at an awful 4-5 in November. 

Finished 10-6 and made the playoffs.

SAR I

The 2018 Philadelphia Eagles who in September/October were stuck in a dreadful 2-5 streak, were sitting at 4-6 in November.

Finished the year 9-7, made the playoffs, went to the Divisional Round.

SAR I

This other team in some other city with other coaches and other players and other opponents in another year did something, so therefore we too will do that same something!  Book it!

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SAR I said:

greateight.jpg

These guys aren't going to let that happen.

Its a new era of Jets football.  Just because the injuries have thrown you back into the SOJ zone doesn't mean its who we are.

SAR I

These guys are not going to let us lose to the Bills at home with a 16 point lead.  They're not going to lose to the Browns at home with their stealth black jerseys.  This is a bad football team, despite your photo montage, until proven otherwise.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, EdReed22 said:

Jamal Adams will stop them by running his big mouth, little to no game changing plays in the 3 years he's been in the league.. He will attempt to over run the play, only to be face planted by Alex Smith type QB and allow a 70 run for a touchdown and then finger wag like Kyle Wilson haha.

I can't stand his mouth either... The reason he is so valuable is that he is smart at football and can play virtually any position on Def...

Now, before you flame me for how bad he is at his job... please realize I did not say he is the top performer at his position but he has the versatility to play every position and is smart enough to know what to do. This makes him very valuable to a team that has playmakers at the opposite safety position, CB or Edge... which the Jets don't have. So yes, he is overrated at parts of his job, he is underrated as a whole....

If the Jets had a real actual playmaker on Def. this would be a top 5 unit... problem is that Adams and even Mosley are extremely valuable but not game changers. Well I guess you can say Mosley was a game changer because the defense didn't know how to function without him but that shouldn't be what I am describing. Hewitt filled in nicely with his absence... 

Pieces like Leo and Anderson are NFL talent that take up space... and you need those players too.

But a Derwin James or a Mack or Miller... these are game changers... you add one of those here... it would be nice.

fish.jpg

And while I could continue, let me end this recent wildcard history lesson and introduce Prince Abubu to the 2017 Miami Dolphins.  Opened 1-4.  Closed 9-2.  Made the playoffs at 10-6.  With a backup quarterback.  With a first year head coach.

So enjoy your Sunday.  Go apple picking with the kids.  Don't watch TV.  Not just for Sunday, but until the morning of Sunday, October 6.  Because that is New Opening Day 2019 where your New York Jets are going to go 9-4 and grab a wildcard.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Bell has been awesome in the first two weeks, better than advertised. The OL has given him little to work with and he's done everything he can.

The only thing I worry about is he looked REALLY beat up after the CLE game, he's been getting hit in the backfield damn near every time he touches the ball. They've gotta do something to protect him since he's essentially our #1RB and #1 pass catcher

You're right.

And as I stated in my case to sign Bell, typically, he has avoided heavy contact throughout his career to quash the "too much mileage" crap people discussed.

This is not normal.  He hasn't had to fight for extra yards so often before.  He usually could voluntarily go down or step out of bounds.  Again, NOBODY has seen him play more than me except the die-hard Steeler fan and most of them clearly didnt appreciate his game the way I do.

Agreed, Gase should mix in more Ty until Darnold returns and they shuffle the O-line personnel to the correct group.

Once they get that straight, Le'Veon Bell will protect himself... like he has always done before.

And thank you!

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

And while I could continue, let me end this recent wildcard history lesson and introduce Prince Abubu to the 2017 Miami Dolphins.  Opened 1-4.  Closed 9-2.  Made the playoffs at 10-6.  With a backup quarterback.  With a first year head coach.

So enjoy your Sunday.  Go apple picking with the kids.  Don't watch TV.  Not just for Sunday, but until the morning of Sunday, October 6.  Because that is New Opening Day 2019 where your New York Jets are going to go 9-4 and grab a wildcard.

SAR I

And if they don't, SAR will proudly sell his season tickets to opposing team fans like he does every year late....

9 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I'm not, but it's cool.

8.2% chance to make playoffs is not a statistic???

statistic

n.

A numerical piece of information.

n.

A calculated numerical value (such as the sample mean) that characterizes some aspect of a sample set of data, and that is often meant to estimate the true value of a corresponding parameter (such as the population mean) in an underlying population.

n.

One viewed solely as a piece of statistical or numerical information.

More at Wordnik  from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

Ummmm ok?

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

Accepting your statistics as true, how is 1 out of 6 not an exception?

Because it doesn't have to be 1 out of 6.  Just 1 out of 2 as there are two Wildcard's.  And as I posted up, this happens every year.  In both Conferences.  A really good team gets off to a terrible start and/or has a terrible stretch and figures out a way to get the 6 seed.

Feels like the Jets turn this year.  Of all the AFC Wildcard contenders, we are the one with the most upside, we are the one with the ridiculous injuries, we are the one where 2 losses easily could have been 2 wins if we were healthy.  And we're about to be.

0-3 gets us to 9-7.  Have faith.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

fish.jpg

SAR I

You’re a true believer I will give you that 

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

8.2% chance to make playoffs is not a statistic???

Ummmm ok?

Context matters.  We're talking on a football message board, where statistics are measures of performance on a football field.

Anyway, as you've been so brutally wrong with all your takes, sounds like you could use this win.  It's yours.  I'll even make you a certificate if you like.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jolot said:

I also love how everyone thinks the Steelers are going to pack it in , that team will win games , I bet they go 7-9 or 8-8 , too much pride , thinking we are going to roll over them is a joke . 

Steelers sucked last year WITH Roethisburger and Brown. With Mason Rudolf, they are not winning 8 games.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This other team in some other city with other coaches and other players and other opponents in another year did something, so therefore we too will do that same something!  Book it!

Yeah, except for the fact that it isn't some outlier, it isn't some exception. 

Every year the #6 Seed in the AFC has gotten off to a brutal start (like 0-3) and/or a terrible middle stretch (like 1-4) and catches fire and winds up being the hottest team going into the playoffs.  And then they more often than not win a wildcard game.

And this happens because they are a good team that isn't quite ready to win consistently and/or faced a multiple-week injury to their starting quarterback.

Sound familiar?

SAR I

Quote: History shows that only five out of 173 teams (2.8 percent) to start 0-3 since 1980 have rallied to make the playoffs. It hasn't been done in 20 years and only three times since the NFL went to a 12-team playoff format in 1990. Since the current division alignment went into effect in 2002, no 0-3 team has rallied to make the postseason.

Here's a look at the five teams to make the playoffs since 1980 after starting 0-3....

==========================

This team is not anything  like the 1981 Jets.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What did FO have the Colts as when they opened 1-5 last year? 

Asking for a friend.

SAR I

I imagine it was pretty low.  Something having an 8.2% chance of happening doesn’t mean it can’t happen.  It means it will happen a little less than 1/10 times.  I bet for every 1-5 team who makes the playoffs you can find 9-10 who don’t, no?

• Upvote 1

Just now, SAR I said:

Yeah, except for the fact that it isn't some outlier, it isn't some exception. 

It also isn't anything to do with us, this team, these injuries, these players, this coach, this season, these opponents or these games still to be played.

Which is why it means nothing to us.  Your argument is an obvious logical fallacy.

18 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

These guys are not going to let us lose to the Bills at home with a 16 point lead.  They're not going to lose to the Browns at home with their stealth black jerseys.  This is a bad football team, despite your photo montage, until proven otherwise.

16 point lead would have been 23 points if our franchise quarterback wasn't at 80% with a 104 fever and an enlarged spleen.

16 point lead would have been 20 points if our kicker wasn't someone bagging groceries at Walmart right now.

16 point lead would have held on its own if our franchise LB didn't pull a groin making a TD saving play in the endzone.

20 point Browns loss would have been a 10 point Jets win if we didn't have 7 starters injured including our best Offensive and Defensive players.

I know you see an 0-2 dysfunction.  What we really are is a 2-0 team that is badly injured.  That ends at Philadelphia.  That's the new season opener where the Jets go 9-4 completely healthy and with an easy schedule.

SAR I

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And if they don't, SAR will proudly sell his season tickets to opposing team fans like he does every year late....

Hahahaha.

SAR is grasping at straws.  A few weeks ago, his schtick was 11-5 AFC East champs.  Two weeks later, hes dropped to 6th seed wild card.

Next will be a flurry of excuses as to why his predictions were wrong followed by a 2020 Super Bowl prediction.

Still no heel turn though.  Disappointing.

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You used to be a quality poster.  My favorite, actually.  Now 10 years later you've devolved into Adam Vinatieri.  Looks like a Pro Bowl kicker, is actually Karre Vedvik.

SAR I

• Haha 1