Gerrit Cole to the Yankees

Maxman

4 hours ago, RonaldJet said:

Got to think the Yankees are going to whatever it takes to unload Stantons contract at some point in the next few seasons. Their payroll is going to be crazy once they have to pay Torres, Judge, Sanchez, etc.

Judge and Torres won't hit free agency till 2023 and 2025 I believe. By that point Tanaka will be off the payroll, probably Chapman as well. Who know what happens with Stanton. Not sure if he has an opt out but if he puts up some major numbers he could look for more money.

All this stuff has a way of working itself out.

Looking now

Tanaka 23 mil this year. Hits free agency after the 2020 season

Chapman 17.2 million in 2020 and 2021

Stanton it looks like they are on the hook for till 2028 (OK That sucks)

Paxson is Arbitration eligible this year.  Hits Free Agency after 2020

Happ is 17 million this year. They will figure out a way to move him before the season starts.

The only guys they are tied too long term right now is Cole, Stanton, and Hicks

They are still going to have to care of guys like Judge, Torres, Sanchez (Maybe), Severino 

6 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Looking now

Tanaka 23 mil this year. Hits free agency after the 2020 season

Chapman 17.2 million in 2020 and 2021

Stanton it looks like they are on the hook for till 2028 (OK That sucks)

Paxson is Arbitration eligible this year.  Hits Free Agency after 2020

Happ is 17 million this year. They will figure out a way to move him before the season starts.

The only guys they are tied too long term right now is Cole, Stanton, and Hicks

They are still going to have to care of guys like Judge, Torres, Sanchez (Maybe), Severino 

The Hicks contract pissed me off when they gave it to him pisses me off even more now. Always thought he was marginal I get the concept of locking these guys out long term but he's always hurt.

Cashman needs to be forbidden to give centerfielder contracts.

• Upvote 2

The Yankees have so much money tied up in Cole and Stanton it's almost unbelievable.  Those two better be elite, MVP/Cy Young caliber players every year.

I am not a Yankees fan, but those type of pitcher contracts are down right scary.  Every pitcher in MLB is one injury away from being gone for 18 months and not being the same guy when he gets back.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The Hicks contract pissed me off when they gave it to him pisses me off even more now. Always thought he was marginal I get the concept of locking these guys out long term but he's always hurt.

For whatever reason Cashman has always had a boner for Hicks. I don't get it either.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The Yankees have so much money tied up in Cole and Stanton it's almost unbelievable.  Those two better be elite, MVP/Cy Young caliber players every year.

I am not a Yankees fan, but those type of pitcher contracts are down right scary.  Every pitcher in MLB is one injury away from being gone for 18 months and not being the same guy when he gets back.

Yes and that is why they need to keep developing and trading for you young talent.

The Nats are tied into Strasburg till he is 38 or 39. Same as Cole.

I like what the Nats did though. 2 of those years He gets only 15 million.

image.thumb.png.02efbb0eaf583f081ccebb5ac1a2128e.png

7 hours ago, RonaldJet said:

Got to think the Yankees are going to whatever it takes to unload Stantons contract at some point in the next few seasons. Their payroll is going to be crazy once they have to pay Torres, Judge, Sanchez, etc.

It will go up.

They also have a lot of $$ coming off after this year.   In addition, Tanaka and Paxton are FA, so if you lose them both and don't have Cole, they could have literally no pitching.

• Upvote 1

The

2 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Yes and that is why they need to keep developing and trading for you young talent.

The Nats are tied into Strasburg till he is 38 or 39. Same as Cole.

I like what the Nats did though. 2 of those years He gets only 15 million.

image.thumb.png.02efbb0eaf583f081ccebb5ac1a2128e.png

The Nats also signed kind of an odd deal when they signed Scherzer.   7 years at 30 per, but they pay him 15 a year for a total of 14 years, so he'll be on the payroll for 7 years after his contract ends.

2 hours ago, Morrissey said:

2020-2021 Free Agency - Starting pitchers: Trevor Bauer, Robbie Ray, James Paxton, Masahiro Tanaka, Jake Arrieta (club option), Marcus Stroman, Jose Quintana

That's the other factor.

If not Cole, there was no one else to add the following year.   2 of those guys are Yankees.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

It is but it's also a lot of championships lol.

Maybe. Nothing is ever guaranteed with big ticket free agents and championships. Yankees know that very well. 

14 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Man, the deGrom deal looks pretty good.

I was just thinking how good the Sale deal looks now. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

If the Mets acted like they played in the biggest market in the sport they would approach the Yankees about taking that contract from them as a dump. See if they can get the Yankees to kick in some money 

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Hicks is not a difficult type of player to replace. 

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

It will go up.

They also have a lot of $$ coming off after this year.   In addition, Tanaka and Paxton are FA, so if you lose them both and don't have Cole, they could have literally no pitching.

We will see what happens by that time maybe Montgomery develops into a legit top of the rotation guy and German comes back and continues to pitch well

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yankees are paying for a 3 year window to win a World Series maybe 2

As good as the Yankees were last 3 years we all knew they weren’t as good as the Astros now they are

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We will see what happens by that time maybe Montgomery develops into a legit top of the rotation guy and German comes back and continues to pitch well

You have those 2, and Devei Garcia coming up as well.

Young pitchers are so hard to count on, but for at least one year, Cole, Tanaka, Paxton, Severino are the top 4.

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Maybe. Nothing is ever guaranteed with big ticket free agents and championships. Yankees know that very well. 

I was just thinking how good the Sale deal looks now. 

Totally agree. The Sale deal looks great from the Yankees perspective. Price and Eovaldi too. That's like 69mm well spent this year.

20 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Yankees are paying for a 3 year window to win a World Series maybe 2

As good as the Yankees were last 3 years we all knew they weren’t as good as the Astros now they are

The 2017 playoff series was as close as it can get.   One game ends with a Yankee being out at the plate by barely 2 feet, one game ends with an Astro beating a a throw to the plate by about 2 feet.    No blown calls, the Astros won, but a crazy close series.

• Upvote 1

On 12/11/2019 at 7:54 AM, Morrissey said:

The fact that both Tanaka and Paxton are free agents after this season means this was a must signing. Yankees will be in the market for starters next year too unless 2 of Montgomery, Germen, Garcia, Schmidt make the leap.

I don't think German's leap is that far.  Of course the DV stuff is very concerning, but I can't say I understand what is going on there. 

On 12/11/2019 at 7:56 AM, shawn306 said:

For whatever reason Cashman has always had a boner for Hicks. I don't get it either.

Switch hitter.

• Upvote 1