Game Observations (BAL)

KRL

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

Darnold is the real deal and cannot be expected to win games all by himself.  I thought he did a good job of standing tall in the pocket when he had to and scrambled well when it was necessary.  His feet were not as "happy" as they have been previously.  He's gotten better the second half of the season.

He is a year younger than the likely Heisman trophy winner this year. 

A better roster in 2020 will prove Darnold is legit once and for all.  

Exactly...perspective.

Also, is Baker Mayfield almost 27 now?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

no one was calling a 4-5 team great. 

I’m one of Lamar Jackson’s biggest fans. I targeted him in all three of my fantasy leagues at the beginning of the year and got him in 2 and am currently the heavy favorite to win it all in both. After week 3 I put money down that he’d be MVP even when Deshaun, Russell, and Aaron were well ahead of him in terms of odds. 

I’m prefacing with all of this just to show that there’s no hidden agenda when I say this: that narrative that you and 14ingreen have been pushing all week and especially since last night is flawed. The ravens were a stacked team even at 4-5 and Harbaugh was still a top 3 HC at the time....Joe Flacco just sucked the life out of that team. LJ is pure fire, one of my favorite guys in the league especially with how much he’s personally benefitting me, but you gotta stop acting like he isn’t in the perfect situation with tons of talent around him, playing for one of the best HCs in the game and being coordinated by the perfect OC who has prior experience with how to optimally utilize a guy with his unique and amazing skill set.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I’m one of Lamar Jackson’s biggest fans. I targeted him in all three of my fantasy leagues at the beginning of the year and got him in 2 and am currently the heavy favorite to win it all in both. After week 3 I put money down that he’d be MVP even when Deshaun, Russell, and Aaron were well ahead of him in terms of odds. 

I’m prefacing with all of this just to show that there’s no hidden agenda when I say this: that narrative that you and 14ingreen have been pushing all week and especially since last night is flawed. The ravens were a stacked team even at 4-5 and Harbaugh was still a top 3 HC at the time....Joe Flacco just sucked the life out of that team. LJ is pure fire, one of my favorite guys in the league especially with how much he’s personally benefitting me, but you gotta stop acting like he isn’t in the perfect situation with tons of talent around him, playing for one of the best HCs in the game and being coordinated by the perfect OC who has prior experience with how to optimally utilize a guy with his unique and amazing skill set.

Great Post.  Nothing wrong with saying the Ravens are a great team.  That doesn’t take away from Lamar’s talent nobody is saying that.  However when you do have a great team around him it makes your life as a QB much much easier.  I’m hoping Douglas can do that for our young talented QB

• Upvote 1

Sam Darnold is being judged like Tiger Woods is on the PGA tour. Perfection or bust. 
”I thought he cleaned up he’s fumbles”. He did... bruh... he’s allowed to fumble every once in a while, EVERY QB fumbles... he’s proven that most of the time when hit, he won’t fumble. by the way he was down by contact.
He threw a pick after Robby Anderson and smith missed opportunities to score. If we are asking a 22 year old to have to score three times to get one TD (he had two score twice to get 1 in the previous drive)... there are going to be some forced throws. 

Agreed. This is the thread I want to hang out in today. Constructive views if a game that wasn’t as bad as the score says.

We knew it was a long shot last night but I was actually in the believing mindset throughout the entire first half. Sam looked good to me for the most part. The line did ok overall but that’s just comparing them to how bad they’ve been all year. even though there was pretty consistent pressure same only took one sack. He moved very well and extended many of the plays. One even being the TD to crowder.

It’s really a good point you make about sam having to score 2 and three times to get the points. And that’s the most important thing to keep in mind while we evaluate the game. The miscommunications with the receivers was evident and there were literal points never achieved as a result.

In keeping my post to Sam, I thought he showed a clear step up from where he was in the NE game and reinforced that his potential is very real in a big boy game on national TV.

I’m happy with his progress and am quite excited to see him with a legit OL and receivers around him.

Crowder and Anderson are keepers though and will benefit greatly with a big bodied #1 on the field with them.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agreed. This is the thread I want to hang out in today. Constructive views if a game that wasn’t as bad as the score says.

We knew it was a long shot last night but I was actually in the believing mindset throughout the entire first half. Sam looked good to me for the most part. The line did ok overall but that’s just comparing them to how bad they’ve been all year. even though there was pretty consistent pressure same only took one sack. He moved very well and extended many of the plays. One even being the TD to crowder.

It’s really a good point you make about sam having to score 2 and three times to get the points. And that’s the most important thing to keep in mind while we evaluate the game. The miscommunications with the receivers was evident and there were literal points never achieved as a result.

In keeping my post to Sam, I thought he showed a clear step up from where he was in the NE game and reinforced that his potential is very real in a big boy game on national TV.

I’m happy with his progress and am quite excited to see him with a legit OL and receivers around him.

Crowder and Anderson are keepers though and will benefit greatly with a big bodied #1 on the field with them.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Great Post as Always GREENBEAN!!

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

name the WRs and the TEs?

I get saying that their WRs aren't super great, but TE?  Andrews and Hurst were both top TEs coming out in 2018.  Hollywood was the first WR taken this year and I took Boykin in the same slot for the Ravens 3rd in the JN mock.  I am not a huge fan of Snead or Roberts, but Snead's numbers in NO shouldn't be discounted by a guy who loves to tout Robby Anderson.  Their skill position players are pretty good, counting Ingram and Tottenville Pirate Gus Edwards.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get saying that their WRs aren't super great, but TE?  Andrews and Hurst were both top TEs coming out in 2018.  Hollywood was the first WR taken this year and I took Boykin in the same slot for the Ravens 3rd in the JN mock.  I am not a huge fan of Snead or Roberts, but Snead's numbers in NO shouldn't be discounted by a guy who loves to tout Robby Anderson.  Their skill position players are pretty good, counting Ingram and Tottenville Pirate Gus Edwards.

Plus they protect him very very well

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Darnold is the real deal and cannot be expected to win games all by himself.  I thought he did a good job of standing tall in the pocket when he had to and scrambled well when it was necessary.  His feet were not as "happy" as they have been previously.  He's gotten better the second half of the season.

He is a year younger than the likely Heisman trophy winner this year. 

A better roster in 2020 will prove Darnold is legit once and for all.  

In a game where the Ravens scored at will early on and the Ravens defense knew we had to pass, Darnold still managed to play well. Sure he had a bad INT and a fumble, but that is going to happen when you give up 42 points and the defense is bringing pressure and playing the pass all game. 

If Darnold had put up a 14/32 130yrds, 0td/2 INT game I would have come away concerned. But Darnold put up decent numbers against a good defense in a tough road environment with backups on the Oline and with a 3rd string TE. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

In a game where the Ravens scored at will early on and the Ravens defense knew we had to pass, Darnold still managed to play well. Sure he had a bad INT and a fumble, but that is going to happen when you give up 42 points and the defense is bringing pressure and playing the pass all game. 

If Darnold had put up a 14/32 130yrds, 0td/2 INT game I would have come away concerned. But Darnold put up decent numbers against a good defense in a tough road environment with backups on the Oline and with a 3rd string TE. 

Exactly.  If sam had looked lost then Yes I would be scared BUT he didn't.  he made one mistake and considering he wa splyng the best team in the NFL(right now)  I can live with that.  When you think about all the injuries and limited pass protection I am happy from what I saw 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are your glasses rosy or green? 

The ******* guy fumbled. 

He had both knees on the ground and still had the ball. That was the second blown call by the replay official; the other being the punt on the BAL possession that ended with the punt block. The ball hit both the BAL player's shoulder and his foot and Gase's challenge should have been successful.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ingram 2nd in DYAR and being a true threat on all the option reads helps too.

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

Darnold is only the 2nd QB this year to throw for 2 TD passes against the Ravens (the other is Mahomes)

With our o line and receiving core in the gutter, that's actually really impressive.

4.. Maybe...that was clear as day holding on Anderson drop. It wasn't bang, bang, or if you see it in regular speed, it was holding, like the CB literally had his entire arm around the waist of Robbie way B4 the ball arrived. Buster Skrine was called for that 100% of the time for much less. 

The ball Darnold threw to Smith was perfection. If he doesn't slow down he strolls into the endzone just from his momentum. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

4.. Maybe...that was clear as day holding on Anderson drop. It wasn't bang, bang, or if you see it in regular speed, it was holding, like the CB literally had his entire arm around the waist of Robbie way B4 the ball arrived. Buster Skrine was called for that 100% of the time for much less. 

The ball Darnold threw to Smith was perfection. If he doesn't slow down he strolls into the endzone just from his momentum. 

The Smith hesitation was the turning point.  I guess in fairness he is a practice squad guy bt it does kindf explain the lack of support around Sam which isn't an excuse.  Now sam still made a bad decision a few plays later BUT its gotta be so frustrating

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Awesumtenor said:

He had both knees on the ground and still had the ball. That was the second blown call by the replay official; the other being the punt on the BAL possession that ended with the punt block. The ball hit both the BAL player's shoulder and his foot and Gase's challenge should have been successful.

False.  The ball came loose and he tried to pin it against his leg.  That isn't possession.  It spit out when he rolled over, but he didn't have that ball.  I will give you the ball hitting the blocker on the punt and the interference with Anderson. 

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

The Smith hesitation was the turning point.  I guess in fairness he is a practice squad guy bt it does kindf explain the lack of support around Sam which isn't an excuse.  Now sam still made a bad decision a few plays later BUT its gotta be so frustrating

Turning point? I think the turning point was going 3 and out and then having the ball fed to us on the first drive.  The Smith play isn't so much a fault thing, as a same page thing.  FWIW, Smith is the guy that blocked the guy into getting hit with the punt.  He may have value if he shows on specials.  I don't think he is the most natural receiver, but he looked like he might belong out there.

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Nice stuff as usual KRL.

Good to see there are still realistic takes out there. The constant "sky is falling" mantra is quite old and tiresome.

Sure is, especially for those (and you know who you are) who enjoy losing and watching 5-11 seasons year after year after year after year

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

Sam Darnold is being judged like Tiger Woods is on the PGA tour. Perfection or bust. 

”I thought he cleaned up he’s fumbles”. He did... bruh... he’s allowed to fumble every once in a while, EVERY QB fumbles... he’s proven that most of the time when hit, he won’t fumble. by the way he was down by contact.

He threw a pick after Robby Anderson and smith missed opportunities to score. If we are asking a 22 year old to have to score three times to get one TD (he had two score twice to get 1 in the previous drive)... there are going to be some forced throws. 

Notice they call PI fairly for us against the Fins and against the Ravens I saw at least 2-3 PIs they didn't call that were interference on our receivers. 

7 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Notice they call PI fairly for us against the Fins and against the Ravens I saw at least 2-3 PIs they didn't call that were interference on our receivers. 

That non call on Robby was terrible.  he was all over Robby on that 4th and 1

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

That non call on Robby was terrible.  he was all over Robby on that 4th and 1

That is called with Brady/Edelman every day of the week. You know it, I know it, everyone watching the game knows it. 

The NFL is like boxing, the Ravens are the King of the Ring in the NFL. Lamar Jackson is must watch TV. The Jets are still the Washington Generals punching bag. 4th & 1, every single ref in that area had a clear view yet none threw the flag? It wasn't close, Peters was EARLY, had his arm wrapped around Robbies waste. 

Any other TOP QB gets that call, Rogers, Wilson, hell Phillip Rivers gets that call if it was Keenan Allen. Brady/Edelman? I'd put $1000 on it. Jets have to start winning & creating a buzz in the NFL like 2009/10. Then they'll get more calls. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

I thought he was down... whatever. My point stands even if he DID fumble. Do you expect him to never fumble again in his career? What the **** are we talking about here? He was blind sided by a free rusher and fumbled (Debatable) ... ok? 

Plus Wesco whiffed on his block and defender was on sam in a heartbeat. Even then, while he did fumble it was not a sloppy fumble due to being careless with the ball. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

My observation is we need to go after Matthew Judon. 

He’s a free agent and I think he’ll test the market. Ozzie will let him go and get his comp pick. 

Hes a beast and great teammate, exactly what Douglas is looking for and fills a huge hole. 

He’ll be 28 but I think it’d be a good signing for this team. 

Ozzie is no longer the GM. He retired. Eric DeCosta is the GM.

James Burgess has 63 tackles and has played 100 per cent of the snaps the last 7 games.

Bashem has two sacks more than Leonard Williams, 31 tackles and 14 assists while being out there for roughly 50 per cent of the snaps this year. 

Nothing eye raising, but I would like out that we claimed these guys off of waivers.  We got them for nothing.  If the Pats did the same thing, people would be praising them till the cows come home. 

Gase may not be cutting the mustard but our front office is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

James Burgess has 63 tackles and has played 100 per cent of the snaps the last 7 games.

Bashem has two sacks more than Leonard Williams, 31 tackles and 14 assists while being out there for roughly 50 per cent of the snaps this year. 

Nothing eye raising, but I would like out that we claimed these guys off of waivers.  We got them for nothing.  If the Pats did the same thing, people would be praising them till the cows come home. 

This is great for depth & keeping guys fresh when all our LBs come back healthy next year. SCORE...SCORE...SCORE...attack...attack..attack on defense. Jets can win a lot of games next year if we can score points. We should have had at least 37 last night maybe more we get that non-reversal. 

2 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I agree. The back-ups that the front office has cobbled together are astoundingly good in view of the fact that they were essentially signed off the streets. I bodes well for the front offices ability to identify players. I can not wait for the draft.

• Upvote 1