Game Observations (BAL)

KRL

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Sam Darnold is being judged like Tiger Woods in on the PGA tour.

”I thought he cleaned up he’s fumbles”. He did... bruh... he’s allowed to fumble every once in a while, EVERY QB fumbles... by the way he was down by contact.

He threw a pick after Robby Anderson and smith missed opportunities to score. If we are asking a 22 year old to have to score three times to get one TD... there are going to be some forced throws. 

Are your glasses rosy or green? 

The ******* guy fumbled. 

• Thumb Down 2

Look I knew that last night was gonna be rough.  But I must say the offense did really come to play in the first half.  The 3rd quarter was rough but then they still didn't give up which I like.  defense obviously is decimated by injuries and it showed but I do give them credit in the 3rd quarter for making some stops and giving us a small chance at least.  Sam I thought had a good game.  he made one bad throw.  The fumble im not gonna blame hm because I thought he was down plys he had no time to react when Wesco got abused.  The pick was bad but it seemed like iscommunication with the tight end who maybe made the wrong route or didn't turn around.  Either way it was a mistake on sam's art which is something that he needs to fix.  Other than that I liked what I saw despite the pressure he was always under.  I love Crowder what a great pick up he was.  Robby needs to stay too.  It sucks that we don't have a kicke.  the game really should have been 21-13going into halftime but we obviously cant trust the kicker.  I Know Lamar Jackson is getting most of the praise and I understand that he deserves it BUT its also important to remember that he has a great team arund him who protect him and will make the catches all the time.  Not taking anything away from Lamar but its completely night and day to out situation wher we have a talented young QB but not muchsupport or protection.  That is something Douglas needs to learn from the mistakesof the previous GM.  OLINE is the most important objective as well as finding at least 2 more good weapons for Sam

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

That 4th down play just highlights the fact that this team is limited in what it can do with its receivers.  Anderson isn’t the guy you want running that route in the end zone.  The Jets didn’t have a viable red zone receiver on the field last night.  It’s tough getting by with slots and deep threats inside the 20.  Hopefully we’ll see a better group next year.  

As far as Gase goes, does he ever run outside the tackles?  Ever?  I get the O line isn’t great, but look at how the defenses are stacking the box, not only are there 8 guys up but they are all between the tackles.  It’s just so predictable.  It’s maddening to watch and he simply doesn’t adjust his game plan.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

this. lev bell can be productive if the block this well.

i will say ive talked to numerous people and a lot think he's lost a step.  Not quite the quick burst he's had in years past.  This game was the closest ive seen to him being back to where he was. Could just be about geling with the Oline or just getting re adjusted to NFL life, but definitely looked better this game. 

Thank you for the write up.  I personally felt the game was close to unwatchable.  

Although the defense stiffened they did so after getting gouged in embarrassing fashion.  The game was over early in the first half.

The game was never in doubt and we were non competitive again.

Thank you for finding silver linings and things the team is doing OK.  Candidly, the things we're doing OK are table stakes items any professional football team should be doing.  Unfortunately, we celebrate them.

The teams terrible play all around is making it very hard to actually gauge whether a player/coach is worth keeping and progressing.

My observation is that when we face any competition at all we are outclassed and the games are non competitive and I think the best course (although it won't happen, I get it) is to reboot and change the HC.

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

i will say ive talked to numerous people and a lot think he's lost a step.  Not quite the quick burst he's had in years past.  This game was the closest ive seen to him being back to where he was. Could just be about geling with the Oline or just getting re adjusted to NFL life, but definitely looked better this game. 

A lot comes into play with Bell. 

Is he in football shape.

Is he injured. 

The OL does not run black well. 

Just now, Chrebetfan80 said:

he also bunged his knee somewhere in there if i recall. the keep him/tryda move him is an interesting one.

aikman was saying his routes looked not as good as a recieveer. (not agreeeing or disagreeeing)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Darnold is only the 2nd QB this year to throw for 2 TD passes against the Ravens (the other is Mahomes)

With our o line and receiving core in the gutter, that's actually really impressive.

Agreed but some just focus on the one bad throw he made lol

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I thought Darnold held up well, especially considering after Crowder and Anderson his options were Brown, V. Smith and J. Smith.

The interception in the 2nd qtr was bad, but never happens if J. Smith doesn't stop his route on the first play of the drive.  If he runs, we're talking about a 21-14 game at the half.  I'm also going to give Darnold the benefit of the doubt and say that our 3rd string TE ran the wrong route which led to the pick...although Darnold being the leader he is, would never say that and took all the blame when talking to the media after the game.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

should have been 3 with the non PI call on robbie.

Maybe 4.  Smith stopped running for reasons I still don't know otherwise he had a TD.  I think that really pissed Sam off and might have bene a reason he forced that throw which led to the pick

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I thought Darnold held up well, especially considering after Crowder and Anderson his options were Brown, V. Smith and J. Smith.

The interception in the 2nd qtr was bad, but never happens if J. Smith doesn't stop his route on the first play of the drive.  If he runs, we're talking about a 21-14 game at the half.  I'm also going to give Darnold the benefit of the doubt and say that our 3rd string TE ran the wrong route which led to the pick...although Darnold being the leader he is, would never say that and took all the blame when talking to the media after the game.

exactly.  Ive noticed usually when Sam throws a bad pick directly before that there is a big drop or a missed route by the reciver.  Now Sam still needs to learn to not force it in there I get that but I think he feels he needs to do too much.  Tahts why we really need to hit a homerun this offseason in regards to better protection and at least a couple more weapons

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

exactly.  Ive noticed usually when Sam throws a bad pick directly before that there is a big drop or a missed route by the reciver.  Now Sam still needs to learn to not force it in there I get that but I think he feels he needs to do too much.  Tahts why we really need to hit a homerun this offseason in regards to better protection and at least a couple more weapons

yep, he definitely wants to get it back quickly.  like in miami.

We really should not be surprised by the performances yesterday.  This was a ridiculously tough spot for a banged up defense.  Short week to prepare for a really good and unique Baltimore offense when we had second stringers playing everywhere.  This was almost an impossible spot -- would have been nice if we could have forced some FGs when they got into the RZ to make them play 4 quarters.  But reallly can't complain too much about the game last night.  Tough to watch at times, but we were outmanned on defense and while we did some good things offensively, we were just too inconsistent to keep up with Balt.

We lost to what is probably the best team in the AFC, in thier building, on a short week.  We missed some opprotuntiies to keep it a little closer which was frustrating,  But I wasn't surprised.  We are clearly not at their level.

• Upvote 2

Look, I want Darnold to complete 100% of his passes and throw 50 TD's with
0 INT's.  But when evaluating him I'm not going to avoid/overlook his mistakes,
that's not being fair.  He's grown this year no matter what some "experts" or
fans want to say.  Now Douglas/Gase have to revamp the OLine and running
scheme to make it easier on Darnold.  Also, he needs to stay away from
infectious diseases which disrupted the season from the beginning 

• Upvote 1

Was the Smith "miss" where he slowed down(let's be real, he completely stopped) the same drive where Sam threw the pick?

Just curious, as there seems to be a bit of a pattern developing(in my recollection at least) that some of his most inexcusable turnovers come after a big play near Miss.   

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Was the Smith "miss" where he slowed down(let's be real, he completely stopped) the same drive where Sam through the pick?

Just curious, as there seems to be a bit of a pattern developing(in my recollection at least) that some of his most inexcusable turnovers come after a big play near Miss.   

It was the same drive.  Darnold was annoyed after the miss, the replay showed it clearly

• Upvote 1

Just now, KRL said:

It was the same drive.  Darnold was annoyed after the miss, the replay showed it clearly

Absolutely.  Sam was pissed and  cant blame him. However Sam still needs to forget about it and not force it.  I think thsta been the issue with Sam's bad throws.  usualy right before a bad pick there is a drop by a receiver or somebody either missed a route or like last night stopped for no reason.  

I was actually more encouraged by the loss this week than the win last week.  The oline actually looked semi-decent - or at least better than amateur hour.  Sam looked good in the pocket - stayed when he should, moved as appropriate, and not afraid to take a hit.  Delivered lots of balls confidently and accurately, and was able to make some plays against this tough defense with his extremely limited receivers.  The pick was bad, but at least it wasn't a misread defense or a panicky OMG what are you doing throw - there was clearly miscommunication, and it's not like I'm afraid it's going to become a habit.

The loss shows what we all know - that there are *major* talent deficiencies (especially with all the injuries).  We just have to hope we have a really good offseason, and everyone gets healthy.

• Upvote 1

my bold/italics. It looks to me that SAM DOESN:T WANT/NEED YOUR EXCUSES

“I need to continue to play smart,” Darnold said. “No matter what the scenario is. I have to play smart at all times. When you slip up in the NFL you get exposed. For me, I have to continue to play ball. Not have those critical one or two mistakes a game.”

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Absolutely.  Sam was pissed and  cant blame him. However Sam still needs to forget about it and not force it.  I think thsta been the issue with Sam's bad throws.  usualy right before a bad pick there is a drop by a receiver or somebody either missed a route or like last night stopped for no reason.  

It's not clear to me that his pick was him "forcing" it.  He wasn't really under pressure, and he calmly delivered a nice ball - right to a sea of Ravens.  No Jet in the area.  And it looks like the ball went right where he wanted it to go.  So I think it was just a bad miscommunication, not necessarily related to what had come before.

• Upvote 1