Day two draft grade

Day 2 draft grade  

118 members have voted

1. 1. What is your day 2 draft grade. I was blown away by his ability to make multiple trades to acquire multiple picks in the 4th round and seemingly get the players he originally wanted...my grade A+

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I liked the Davis pick but it was too early (got cute) and the next 10 picks probably left a big hole in the Jets draft board and more importantly lost both Centers (either one would have solidified the OL)

Selecting anyone near polite (fat gator) was probably a mistake but can't expect perfection - JD was great overall and can still add impact players like WR's DP Jones and KJ Hill - Is Moss kid still out there?

Give JD credit for checking boxes for needs and the trade down and Mimms picks was amazing - A/B+

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Possibly.  It also seemed possible that JD knew he was higher on Mims than anyone else.  I don't know how he knew, but he did somehow.  He'd interviewed the kid twice, after all.  

Even if it was indeed true that the drug issues were knocking him down the board, someone was still going to take the chance on him in that 2nd/early 3rd range.  Simply fascinating that JD moved down like that and still could land him. 

I wonder what JD's contingency plan would have been had Mims been taken prior to 59.  

What drug issues????

I think you gotta give him an A, B+ at worst because you can't assume he didn't get the guy he wanted. 

He traded down and still got Mims, which was a steal IMO. 

JD drafted Davis early in Rd. 3 when they had 3 picks in Rd. 3 so you gotta think they really really liked him. And based on the kind of versatile athlete Davis is and Maye being a potential FA in 2021 along with the lack of depth at the position its a pick that makes sense. 

They got one of the most highly rated athletic pass rushers. Looking at the profiles of the players they took you gotta think Zuniga was pretty high on their board. I mean they passed on Weaver, Anae, Greenard, Lewis, Highsmith, Huff, Robinson, etc. So it doesnt seem like they missed out on their pass rusher by taking a safety and Zuniga was a consolation prize. 

Then I think JD make a really smart move by moving down at the bottom of the third because the talent drop off is not major and having an extra two picks in the 4th is a major asset with the needs the Jets have. 

3 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

What about 2020 ?

Nothing about 2020. The Jets have no Safety depth. Either both stay on the team until they re-sign one and let the other walk or they resign one and trade the other. Odds are Maye gets traded or they just let him walk. I doubt Maye moves over to SS and Adams gets traded. Thats just me, but you never know. 

4 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

They reached hugely for a safety two picks later. Was a big need for them.

To be fair he seems projected to be more of a SS while Davis is a FS, so maybe the Dolphins wanted that type of player, but yeah, Ashtyn Davis was one of the remaining top safeties on the board and i can see how the Dolphins saw another good safety go and may have panicked a little bit.   

25 minutes ago, WeebKnows said:

Davis will be the safety when JA is blitzing as an OLB, he'll also bring us back to the "Brad Smith" days in terms of ST. This was a solid under the radar pick that good GM's make. 

How f*cking great will it be watching Mosely & Adams moving around the LOS, and still have guys like Maye & Davis switching for them on routes. GW is going to have a field day with these guys!

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Nothing about 2020. The Jets have no Safety depth. Either both stay on the team until they re-sign one and let the other walk or they resign one and trade the other. Odds are Maye gets traded or they just let him walk. I doubt Maye moves over to SS and Adams gets traded. Thats just me, but you never know. 

If Maye has a great season and signs somewhere else we get a comp pick.  I think this draft shows how Douglas wants to build his team.  Keep young players coming up the pipeline, and proactively replace his average starters, getting extra picks and keeping salary cap down.  The more comp picks, the easier that will be to do.

5 hours ago, Jets723 said:

A

Mims was a steal and 59 and we gained an extra third which turned into two more 4ths

I really like the Davis pick.  I understand he wasn’t a huge need but his versatility and athleticism can be used in areas we need help in

at 79 I was looking for a C to be honest but I’m good with Zuniga.  When healthy he is very productive. The ankle injury dropped his stick a bit this year

Experts don't understand that JD has to look down the road i.e long term and not just short term. Long term we are not paying both Adams and Maye having a big chunk of our cap consumed by the safety position. And in the short term Davis can play S, CB, and KR. Heck, with the speed I see from him would it could be good getting him in on an offensive play here and there like a bubble screen where this guy can make huge plays.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bowles Movement said:

If Maye has a great season and signs somewhere else we get a comp pick.  I think this draft shows how Douglas wants to build his team.  Keep young players coming up the pipeline, and proactively replace his average starters, getting extra picks and keeping salary cap down.  The more comp picks, the easier that will be to do.

And he created "comp picks" this year by trading down a couple of times. For a first time GM, drafting from his basement, he is definitely putting on a bit of a show. 

Can't wait to see what he does in round 4. 

9 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

They reached hugely for a safety two picks later. Was a big need for them.

How much you want to bet Flores had Davis lined up for his pick? And to have the JETS take him while they had Adams & Maye, lol. 

LOVE IT!!!

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

B+

Mims was a steal. Preferred him to Pittman and Hamler. Exactly what we're looking for at WR. 

Davis is a really good player, maybe the best value pick in terms of where we got him but not a need. How we deal with Adams/Maye will effect my thoughts on the pick. Can't say I was delighted. Bonus points for f*cking with the Dolphins. 

Zuniga looks a great athlete, think Williams will like him. Looks a solid player at a weak position. Still would have preferred an offensive guy. 

Nice pick, but bet the pick would have been Hennessy, who went one before to the Falcons...

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A. 

Slightest downtick for the Davis pick, which was good but to me not ideal.  But its a nitpick.  Today was awesome. 

It was going to be no lower than an A regardless after we traded down and still got Mims.  Just masterful work by JD on that, and something only savvy, veteran GM's are able to pull off.

Davis is a swiss army knife on GW's belt, plus he returns kicks. He's going to be a key player on defense and special teams.

Looks like we got a decent edge with our next pick, so hopefully we did not pass on one who is much better.

I love what Douglas is doing, loading up on more late rounders, including getting a 6th back to replace the one he traded for Thomas, and at the very least we'll get a compensatory pick for Maye.

I honestly don't think we'll regret getting Davis, he may end up being a bright spot of this draft.