Day two draft grade

Day 2 draft grade  

118 members have voted

1. 1. What is your day 2 draft grade. I was blown away by his ability to make multiple trades to acquire multiple picks in the 4th round and seemingly get the players he originally wanted...my grade A+

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

A. 

Slightest downtick for the Davis pick, which was good but to me not ideal.  But its a nitpick.  Today was awesome. 

It was going to be no lower than an A regardless after we traded down and still got Mims.  Just masterful work by JD on that, and something only savvy, veteran GM's are able to pull off.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A. 

Slightest downtick for the Davis pick, which was good but to me not ideal.  But its a nitpick.  Today was awesome. 

It was going to be no lower than an A regardless after we traded down and still got Mims.  Just masterful work by JD on that, and something only savvy, veteran GM's are able to pull off.

I'm sure the other 31 GM's were like What the heck just happened there.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

I'm sure the other 31 GM's were like What the heck just happened there.

Possibly.  It also seemed possible that JD knew he was higher on Mims than anyone else.  I don't know how he knew, but he did somehow.  He'd interviewed the kid twice, after all.  

Even if it was indeed true that the drug issues were knocking him down the board, someone was still going to take the chance on him in that 2nd/early 3rd range.  Simply fascinating that JD moved down like that and still could land him. 

I wonder what JD's contingency plan would have been had Mims been taken prior to 59.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Possibly.  It also seemed possible that JD knew he was higher on Mims than anyone else.  I don't know how he knew, but he did somehow.  He'd interviewed the kid twice, after all.  

Even if it was indeed true that the drug issues were knocking him down the board, someone was still going to take the chance on him in that 2nd/early 3rd range.  Simply fascinating that JD moved down like that and still could land him. 

I wonder what JD's contingency plan would have been had Mims been taken prior to 59.  

You know what I find fascinating?  We literally lucked into a decent football mind because Adam Gase had a disagreement with Mike Maccagnan over the cost of a prime running back.  If we ever win the SB... that's the first thing I am posting in the new topic header.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hopefully...there's more talented druggies and bad hombres others don't want.  JD don't mind going to war with them.

Release the Krakens!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

B+

Mims was a steal. Preferred him to Pittman and Hamler. Exactly what we're looking for at WR. 

Davis is a really good player, maybe the best value pick in terms of where we got him but not a need. How we deal with Adams/Maye will effect my thoughts on the pick. Can't say I was delighted. Bonus points for f*cking with the Dolphins. 

Zuniga looks a great athlete, think Williams will like him. Looks a solid player at a weak position. Still would have preferred an offensive guy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 4

A

Mims was a steal and 59 and we gained an extra third which turned into two more 4ths

I really like the Davis pick.  I understand he wasn’t a huge need but his versatility and athleticism can be used in areas we need help in

at 79 I was looking for a C to be honest but I’m good with Zuniga.  When healthy he is very productive. The ankle injury dropped his stick a bit this year

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A. 

this. almost to the word, actually.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I'm not going dingbat overboard like so many on this site do. I like that Joe Douglas added a ST player. ST is another area that's been neglected for years. He has potential to have a nice behind the scenes role with the Jets. I hope he develops into that role. I like that Douglas added a weapon for Sammy and my hope is we finally have an edge rusher. As far as a grade goes we'll know in 3 seasons.

• Post of the Week 1

He acquired picks and still got the receiver, which was savvy on his part. Douglas addressed highest needs with diversifying all 4 picks. We were told this is a very deep receiver class and 4 elite Tackle prospects, it seems Douglas is playing this card perfectly. Was hoping for the center, but the safety looks like a freakish athlete who will see the field early and often. Looks like a versatile DB who can also excell on specials. Seems to me, Douglas will rely on his O-Line scouting to snag an under the radar lineman or two who can be coached up. See him snagging another 1-2 receivers, 1-2 o-lineman, CB, maby punter or kicker. Depth is key to sustaining success and I think that’s what Joey D is going for.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm going to go with A+.   Love the Mims and Zuniga picks.

I didn't know much about Ashtyn Davis, but all of a sudden he had betting lines posted on many of the Vegas sports books.  I thought it was strange that Vegas would post odds on some random safety that I didn't know much about. 

But Vegas is hardly ever wrong....if they thought he was good enough to post odds on then that's good enough for me.

FYI his over/under was around 72.5 so at 69 he clearly wasn't a reach.

Unpopular but I will go with b-

I don't have faith in Mims becoming a star but I do believe he was a good value pick where he was taken. It is nice we were able to get extra picks.

Ashtyn Davis I had never heard of wonder how many others have. Someone in the draft forum said he reminded them of Jim leonhard and if that comparison carries over I would be beyond happy the problem is I think we may have reached deep for this pick.

Jabari zuniga is a de and comes from the Florida Gators and we drafted him in the third round. Let's pray that the comparisons to polite (who I loved last year) end there. I believe he was a bit of a reach also.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Unpopular but I will go with b-

I don't have faith in Mims becoming a star but I do believe he was a good value pick where he was taken. It is nice we were able to get extra picks.

Ashtyn Davis I had never heard of wonder how many others have. Someone in the draft forum said he reminded them of Jim leonhard and if that comparison carries over I would be beyond happy the problem is I think we may have reached deep for this pick.

Jabari zuniga is a de and comes from the Florida Gators and we drafted him in the third round. Let's pray that the comparisons to polite (who I loved last year) end there. I believe he was a bit of a reach also.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Davis grew up in Santa Cruz, California and attended Santa Cruz High School. He played wide receiver at Santa Cruz and joined the school's track team at the recommendation of his quarterback in order to become a faster football player. Although he was lightly recruited as a football player, Davis began receiving interest from college track coaches late in his senior year after put up a strong performance 110 metres hurdles in a county track meet despite having never competed in the event before.[1]

College career

Davis originally joined California's track and field team as a walk-on and only joined the football team after a tryout in the spring of his freshman year. As a senior, Davis won the Pac-12 110 meter hurdle title and was named second team All-American. Davis was also named an NCAA Indoor All-American in the 60 meter hurdles.[2]

As a redshirt junior, Davis made 56 tackles with five passes broken up and four interceptions while also returning 24 kicks for 629 yards and a touchdown and was named first team All-Pac-12 Conference by the Associated Press, Athlon Sports and Pro Football Focus and honorable mention by the conference's coaches.[3][4] Davis entered his senior year on the watchlist for the Paul Hornung Award and rated the third-best safety prospect in the 2020 NFL Draft by ESPN analyst Mel Kiper.[5][6] Davis was named a finalist for the Burlsworth Trophy.[7] In the season finale against UCLA, Davis tied his single-game high in tackles with 8, including the last tackle of the game as part of a goal-line stand. Davis had 55 tackles, two interceptions, four passes defended, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery in his senior season. He finished his collegiate career with 166 tackles, seven interceptions, 12 passes defended, two forced fumbles and three fumbles recovered on defense while returning 70 kicks for 1,604 yards and a touchdown and two punts for 33 yards.[8

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

B+

Mims was a steal. Preferred him to Pittman and Hamler. Exactly what we're looking for at WR. 

Davis is a really good player, maybe the best value pick in terms of where we got him but not a need. How we deal with Adams/Maye will effect my thoughts on the pick. Can't say I was delighted. Bonus points for f*cking with the Dolphins. 

Zuniga looks a great athlete, think Williams will like him. Looks a solid player at a weak position. Still would have preferred an offensive guy. 

Curious, howvdid we f with the Dolphins? 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think the Davis pick is interesting.  Maye is an odd duck.  He’s built like a box safety and he isn’t bad, but he’s a bad pairing with Adams.  

Add the fact that he will be 28 looking for pay raise next year . While we likely will be making the Jamal the highest paid safety . It makes sense Save on some money 

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

Add the fact that he will be 28 looking for pay raise . While we likely will be making the Jamal the highest paid safety . It makes sense Save on some money 

Safety is an overanalyzed position on the board, obviously.  And one of the problems with Adams is that when he’s blitzing the secondary is bare.  Davis is now the real center fielder the secondary needs when Adams isn’t there.  It’s an intelligent pick.  Bye bye maye.

• Upvote 1

B+

The set it took to move back and still land Mims was an A+ move in and of itself though. 

He turned 48 into Mims 125, 129, and a future 6th. Amazing really. 

Understand the Zuniga pick and can appreciate Davis as a possible Maye replacement/sub package DB/S but wasnt expecting it. Really wanted to see us grab Cushenberry or Hennesy with one of our last 2 thirds.

Hoping today we can really solidify this IOL with a guy like Bredeson/Kindley or Biadacz. Grab a few playmakers at RB/WR and it will be a great draft.

A

Cannot drop below A with the juijitsu trade from 48 to 59. Those of us here commenting wanted Mims and we still got him.

Davis...never heard of him before. The vids (always favorable) make a strong case for him being a prototypical Gregg Williams player. Some had him as a sleeper first round. Very interesting. I assume that Williams had input into the process. Clearly they valued Davis over Zuniga who was more visible to most fans. Was it his play as DB or his utility on ST that set ghis ordering?

Zuniga seems solid, but I have to admit that I personally was dtill hungry for more players on offense at this point in the draft.

Trade down with Pats is another “10’s of spots for more bodies” move from JD. The brilliance of the prior trade was in who remained when we did make the pick. We’ll gain hindsight on this one later today.

I hated the pick at first but the more I think about it, this may be a great pick. First it gives the jets leverage against adams in the contract negotiations. If he holds out, the jets have 2 good safeties and can still field a competent defense. Second, while adams is technically a safety, he really plays more like a linebacker by the line of scrimmage. Therefore Greg Williams will certainly play all 3 safeties at the same time. This kid can also play a little corner and is great on special teams. I think we will look back at this as a good pick in 2 or 3 years.

• Upvote 2